Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To late to start Guild Wars?

Seanw725Seanw725 Member Posts: 11

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it was too late to get started into Guildwars since the game is very well over 2 years old and already has 3 expansion packs, another on the way and the 2nd installment coming out. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• bigmac_davebigmac_dave Member Posts: 3

I would say not.

I am a relatively new player.

2 of my friends only signed up within the last month.

I am very new to mmorpg, but found this very simple to get to grips with. I found plenty to do. Plenty to kill. Plenty to ally with.

Just buy it and enjoy. (I took advice and started with Prophesies)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Never too late to start Guild Wars. I been playing it for almost 2 years and I constantly see new people all the time. You can go purchase any campaign you wish and then head into Eye of the North. Remember, we have over a year until we see any release of Guild Wars 2.

• asasenpaiasasenpai Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Never too late to start Guild Wars. I been playing it for almost 2 years and I constantly see new people all the time. You can go purchase any campaign you wish and then head into Eye of the North. Remember, we have over a year until we see any release of Guild Wars 2.

Same here. Can't wait to buy Eye of the North though.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah it's never too late to start guild wars. The level cap is 20 and easy to obtain.. the rest is just experience and the items you want which will come over time. Plus people create new character all the time to try different professions and guilds are always recruiting.

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

It's absolutely not too late to start guildwars ; hundreds of thousands of people still play it, and the game's as new-user friendly as ever. Since there isn't heavy emphasis on gear, it shouldn't take you longer than a week or so to catch up (in terms of character development) to even players, such as myself, that have been playing for years.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Seanw725

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it was too late to get started into Guildwars since the game is very well over 2 years old and already has 3 expansion packs, another on the way and the 2nd installment coming out. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Please, for the last time, there is no expansion pack yet.

To answer your question, no it's not too late, for several reasons:

People are still playing it, new players join daily.

GW 2's beta starts Q3 or Q4 2008, that's a year away from now, and besides they're not shutting down GW 1 when the second is released.

New campaigns have not introduced more powerful items compared to what existed in the original nor raised the level cap either. This will still be true with Eye of the North.
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I can just confirm what the rest has said; No, it's not too late to start playing. You won't get some of the harder obtained stuff, but you will be able to enjoy 99% of the game.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Now is in fact a great time to join, there are plenty of established guilds out there and the game is at its peak just before Guild Wars Eye of the north is released, which will bring people back to play the new content

and if you need a hand to get started just message me or any of the veterans that hang out here, I'll be happy to help out as I'm sure most of them would

imageimage

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

Now is in fact a great time to join, there are plenty of established guilds out there and the game is at its peak just before Guild Wars Eye of the north is released, which will bring people back to play the new content

and if you need a hand to get started just message me or any of the veterans that hang out here, I'll be happy to help out as I'm sure most of them would
    By the way as mentioned by Lone, if anyone needs help or just wants to harass me because you love/hate my posts, or just want to kick it with an mmorpg.com homie for a bit, give me a shout (well whisper). 

I own a guild Balthazars Eternal Guard [BEG]...90+members and PvE Centered

For PvE Help, please dial:  Elaine Aes Sedai (My main, her second year b-day is coming up...come on Mini Gwen)

To Have Your Caster Pwned By A Mesmer, please dial: Tar Valons Witch

To Have Your Melee Pwned By A Mesmer, please dial: Wheel Of Time Killa (my Main AB).

We have had a large influx of new players dusting the cobwebs off as they prepare for GW:EN. 

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

Yea thats true with GW:EN you can expect many new players and that is the really only true expansion. the only comment I can say is at times now compared to when first released it is a bit harder to find parties in some PvE but if you got some friends or if you get ina a group and start on a roll you should be fine. It's not totally deserted but sometimes harder than I would have liked to find a party on some missions settling instead for hencies or heroes...

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

nah dude never too late, guild wars isnt a game u can fall very behind in.. start playing :)

• DR3ADDR3AD Member Posts: 2

Thank you for all of the information, have been wondering the same as the op for a little while now. Can anyone explain exactly what the expansions do give you if the level cap is not raised? Is it just extra player classes or acess more areas?is there plenty of non PVP content or Content for people who like to solo? Do you have to  spend copius amounts of time once you reach lvl 20 cap or is it still possible to enjoy the game with an hour or two to spare one or two nights a week?

I guess I am looking for something to replace wow, I got fairly heavy into raiding and end game stuff, but now cant afford the time to carry on with that or to maintain relationships in a guild (the fact that its called guild wars worries me a little that it might have little solo cpaabilities).

I Guess I would like to check it out, is there a free trial, or can anyone send me a buddy key through mmorpg mail?

Really keen to check it out, thanks in advance.

Originally posted by DR3AD

Thank you for all of the information, have been wondering the same as the op for a little while now. Can anyone explain exactly what the expansions do give you if the level cap is not raised? Is it just extra player classes or acess more areas?is there plenty of non PVP content or Content for people who like to solo? Do you have to  spend copius amounts of time once you reach lvl 20 cap or is it still possible to enjoy the game with an hour or two to spare one or two nights a week?
    I guess I am looking for something to replace wow, I got fairly heavy into raiding and end game stuff, but now cant afford the time to carry on with that or to maintain relationships in a guild (the fact that its called guild wars worries me a little that it might have little solo cpaabilities).

I Guess I would like to check it out, is there a free trial, or can anyone send me a buddy key through mmorpg mail?

Really keen to check it out, thanks in advance.
    there is only one expansion and thats due for release Aug 31st and is called Eye of the North...

However, the other chapters offer various bits, but as they are all standalone games that combine into one big game, you need to decide where to start and the best place to do that is look here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page  click on each of the chapter icons at the top to see whats included in each game and also have a look at the different professions to decide which you'd like to start with

imageimage

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683

Just out of curiosity, why do you say the expansion priced add-ons are NOT expansions? Don't they expand on the original game like expansions? I mean I realize they call them "Chapters", but I've always assumed "Chapters" was just a marketing ploy to sound different than every other game that releases similar "Expansions" to make people more likely to feel ok buying them. Is there truely a difference?

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I concur. Never too late to start GW. More polished and perfect than anything.

The only thing bad about the game is that no one ever roleplays. Ever. It feels like an arcade game sometimes because of that. Otherwise it is the perfect game. Get in when you can. Get in now!

Join us!

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by sschrupp
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say the expansion priced add-ons are NOT expansions? Don't they expand on the original game like expansions? I mean I realize they call them "Chapters", but I've always assumed "Chapters" was just a marketing ploy to sound different than every other game that releases similar "Expansions" to make people more likely to feel ok buying them. Is there truely a difference?

They are stand alone games. Expansions require the primary product to play. These are new games. Granted, having them all does add to the game in many ways, but you could have any one and not the others and play a full-fleded game. Thus, by definition not expansions. In practice, almost everyone has them all, and they serve as a way to fund themselves without monthly fees.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• DR3ADDR3AD Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the explanation on the different guild wars games. I might just head down to EB and purchase tonight.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by 8hammer8
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1 Now is in fact a great time to join, there are plenty of established guilds out there and the game is at its peak just before Guild Wars Eye of the north is released, which will bring people back to play the new content

By the way as mentioned by Lone, if anyone needs help or just wants to harass me because you love/hate my posts, or just want to kick it with an mmorpg.com homie for a bit, give me a shout (well whisper).
    For PvE Help, please dial: Elaine Aes Sedai (My main, her second year b-day is coming up...come on Mini Gwen)
    To Have Your Melee Pwned By A Mesmer, please dial: Wheel Of Time Killa (my Main AB).
    We have had a large influx of new players dusting the cobwebs off as they prepare for GW:EN.

Problems coming up with names and therefore stealing Wheel of Time names? Anyway, if you want to catch me up (which you won't be able to do in 2 weeks now, but still) you can add Dance With Death/Daggers/Spirits/Doom/Swords or whatever. Something like "Dance With xxxx" I always use such names; because I can't come up with good names.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by 8hammer8

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

For PvE Help, please dial: Elaine Aes Sedai (My main, her second year b-day is coming up...come on Mini Gwen)

Problems coming up with names and therefore stealing Wheel of Time names? Anyway, if you want to catch me up (which you won't be able to do in 2 weeks now, but still) you can add Dance With Death/Daggers/Spirits/Doom/Swords or whatever. Something like "Dance With xxxx" I always use such names; because I can't come up with good names.

Nope, no problem comming up with names, I have 11 books worth of at my disposal.  It is more of an homage to the excellent series that it is, rather than a crutch to fall back on.  Creating names was never an issue for me even pre-WoT.  Guess you would not be surprized to know I have a warrior The Dragon Rebornn and a ranger Mat Cauthonn in my character list.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• suffusesuffuse Member UncommonPosts: 31

I'm sure I'm just echoing the sentiments of the posters above me, but like they've said it really is never too late to start GW. The leveling is so fast, and gear doesn't really matter so there's no way to "fall behind" like in other games.

I bought the first GW box the week it released and I've played off and on ever since. My typical play cycle is to play GW for 3-6 months and then quit for 3-6 months before picking it up again. I've done this 2 or 3 times and each time I've returned, I've never felt like I was behind or there was a need to pull all nighters to catch up to others playing.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Seanw725Seanw725 Member Posts: 11

haha thanks...been playing for a while and I love it!

• starfox45634starfox45634 Member Posts: 41

i would say its not too late and never going to be too late. new expansions are coming out and theres some facts for guild wars 2 to be made in the future but still many people are playing the first game. i am (i only have the prophecies campaign).

Originally posted by starfox45634

i would say its not too late and never going to be too late. new expansions are coming out and theres some facts for guild wars 2 to be made in the future but still many people are playing the first game. i am (i only have the prophecies campaign).
    Umm, not quite, there are DEFINATELY NOT going to be anymore chapters for Guild wars, however, Jeff Strain said there is a possibility for another Expansion in one of his interviews... 

But the Guild Wars 2 beta should be in full swing this time next year, looking at a release date of April time 2009...  So not too long

imageimage

• DauthixDauthix Member Posts: 222

There's still plenty of time to play Guild Wars.  April, 2009 is a long way off, so pick up the game and enjoy.  I've spent lots of money on games that have lost their value in a matter of days or hours, even; so there's no real worry about wasting your hard earned cash on GW - you'll still get you money's worth.

My current Guild Wars character:

Dauthix The Avenger (Paragon/Ranger)

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

"Umm, not quite, there are DEFINATELY NOT going to be anymore chapters for Guild wars, however, Jeff Strain said there is a possibility for another Expansion in one of his interviews... "

Really, Lonesamurai? That's very encouraging news about the possibility of another expansion... I think EotN is just outstanding -- an great mix of story missions and extras (i.e., dungeons). I've had such fun with it.