Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think the 'M' rating will change things??

2»

Comments

• DefiledFDefiledF Member Posts: 102

Oh it will change a lot.

It's not that the players will be more mature, whoever thinks that is an idiot.

What WILL change is the content ffs and whoever misses that is an even bigger fucking idiot. It allows for a deeper, more developed game with a lot less restrictions which is way better than some stupid kid's game.

/rant off

• IAMTHEGAMEIAMTHEGAME Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Farquania

Originally posted by PezDSpencer

Everyone should know by now that an 'M' rating will only stop kids who have amazingly strict parents from getting this game.

Anyone who says otherwise is a fool, and should come to the realization that ratings mean jack-s***.
    And that is a large ammount of people, so it is changing who will be playing the game but not what is in the game. The only way it would change things isif they wanted a "T" then they would ruin the game and take everything out. Absolutely Correct. 

So basically the rating = a condom, that is protecting them from lawsuits, yet still inable'ing them to do as they wish as far as content goes......................

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64

I hope that the fact it is conan will keep kids away anyway i dont think the rating will. When any kid see's the video clips of heads being chopped of and top nudity it will make them want to play it more. Just  because the game has an adult rating will not stop parents buying it for them. I had mortal combat and doom bought for me.

If parents are wiling to buy drink and cig's for there underage kids i dont think it will stop them buying a computer game.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

I think when people state Conan is "Mature" they are only half correct in  the statement. AoC is "Mature themed" which basically has nothing to do with the age / maturity level of the average player.

• pristontalepristontale Member Posts: 59

I think that most parents allow violence and language in their kids games, but may draw the line at nudity. So, if you want less kids make everyone topless. Obviously that would be retarded to have everyone topless, but if you think its just 12 year olds with a maturity problem you are all sorely mistaken.

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by tymothymiche

As a father of two, I can say some of us still care. My 11 year old daughter only watches videos and games that I pick out, ( no broadcast tv at all, it's mostly trash save the educational and history stuff) no mtv none of that junk. I only play violent games after 8 when the kids are in bed. I'm looking forward to this game, but know that it's going on the "after 8" pile.
    Sensible approach - I am blown away by the junk media thrown at us and really feel there does have to be some heavy editing before it gets to the children.
  • johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Battlekruse

Why are sex and violence always linked? I'm afraid they'll blur together in people's minds - sexandviolence

Most if not all great art contains love or death.  Its been this way forever, just look at poetry, paintings, etc.  Some may argue that games are a stretch, but games are art to programmers.

We all know that Funcom will probably add some type of nude/gore filter options, making the rating obsolete.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Everyone is perfectly familiar with immature behavior on MMOs.

I await the Developement team that spends time making things that curb them. Consequences for "R-tarded" actions.

Things can be innovated to curb the madness. Its not like such a system(s) is impossible.

Age of Conan is one, if not the first game, that should really attempt to do this.

• pvthudson01pvthudson01 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Everyone should know by now that an 'M' rating will only stop kids who have amazingly strict parents from getting this game.

Anyone who says otherwise is a fool, and should come to the realization that ratings mean jack-s***.

meh this still looks like a console fight game, which is where it should stay in my opinion, so Ill grab my copy on the Xbox.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

And that is a large ammount of people, so it is changing who will be playing the game but not what is in the game. The only way it would change things isif they wanted a "T" then they would ruin the game and take everything out. I'm curious about this.  I've been watching the game for a long time, but what exactly would they take out that is only allowed in M-rated games that would ruin it?

So far the only M-rated thing in the game has been boobs and decapitations.  People are even complaining that there's "too much blood."  And that the amount of blood pouring out of people looks silly.

The dead bodies on the ground are more than acceptable in a T rated game.  The amount of blood that people are asking to see is acceptable in a T rated game too. 

So the only thing that they would take out to make it T rated would be decapitations and boobs. 

If that ruins the game, then there wasn't much there to begin with.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by JPR1985
    People keep forgetting that the game mechanics will make some younger players turn away also. Kids/teens who are used to wow, and then coe here and have to actually make combos, and time them, without an auto attack button, might just get frustrated and stop playing. Remember that this game isnt going to be a button mashing fest, and what you press matters heavily, so that should turn away a few people.

Forget the maturity, this is the number one reason I want to try this game.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• pristontalepristontale Member Posts: 59

Where are the boobs? I've not seen them. haha.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by checkthis500

And that is a large ammount of people, so it is changing who will be playing the game but not what is in the game. The only way it would change things isif they wanted a "T" then they would ruin the game and take everything out.I'm curious about this.  I've been watching the game for a long time, but what exactly would they take out that is only allowed in M-rated games that would ruin it?

So far the only M-rated thing in the game has been boobs and decapitations.  People are even complaining that there's "too much blood."  And that the amount of blood pouring out of people looks silly.

The dead bodies on the ground are more than acceptable in a T rated game.  The amount of blood that people are asking to see is acceptable in a T rated game too. 

So the only thing that they would take out to make it T rated would be decapitations and boobs. 

If that ruins the game, then there wasn't much there to begin with.

MATURE

Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

TEEN

Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Considering Conan has sexual undertones, and intense violence I can see the difference between the rating and a Teen One.

It's not abot ruining the game making less in the content above, its about sticking and honouring an I.P that is under licence and been around 75 years. Its about doing it "properly".

Pretty sure Blood level can be scaled to personal preference.

• tfwarlordtfwarlord Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Why are sex and violence always linked? I'm afraid they'll blur together in people's minds - sexandviolence

Well there are many theories, i can only give you mine.

The reason Reproduction. We humans know we are alive, and know we are gonna die, and that scares the shit out of us.

We want become immortal and the closest thing to that is Reproduction, IE sex. and we also want make sure we can survive the longest possible time, and if there's fewer people around you, there's fewer people to possible kill you and less battle for resources, I.E. we love violence, as long as it dosent happen to us, I.E. we love violence that happens to other people.

Conclusion, we love sex and violence because we are scared shitless about death.

• oblivionateoblivionate Member Posts: 224

it doesnt matter the age, hell a 20 year old could be less mature than a 13, this will only prevent very little from getting into the game

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently Waiting For: Nothing, found my addiction for awhile

Currently Playing: Warhammer Online - Oblivion, Warrior Priest, Averheim; Team Fortress 2