Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is set in a fantasy world

13»

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by MasterPain55

Originally posted by Taljinn

POTBS is loosely based on the Tim Powers novel ,On Stranger Tides.

In fact they are who got me to read the book .  So don't be surpised to see a ship full of Skeletons , or find a voodoo doll with your likeness.  Although I bet it'll be extremely rare.  This game is gonna be the cats meow , although a long time coming.  You have to hand it to them for staying behind there convictions and not putting out a half finished game like...Vanguard.

You know 0 about this game, i've been following it for years and i know every detail about it. The game is based around the history of the Age of Sail. Yes there is a "SuperNatural" part of the game, but the devs have designed the game so that you can completely avoid this content if you choose to keep your gameplay on the historical side. The only time you will ever see skeletons or voodoo doll type of stuff is if you choose to accept quest that take place in the "Super Natural" mission area which is instanced so you will never see it unless you want to.

Dont go around rambling about a game that you know nothing about.

NEXT!!!

What a complete an utter prat ... NEXT.

• XanamiarXanamiar Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by MasterPain55

Originally posted by Taljinn

POTBS is loosely based on the Tim Powers novel ,On Stranger Tides.

In fact they are who got me to read the book .  So don't be surpised to see a ship full of Skeletons , or find a voodoo doll with your likeness.  Although I bet it'll be extremely rare.  This game is gonna be the cats meow , although a long time coming.  You have to hand it to them for staying behind there convictions and not putting out a half finished game like...Vanguard.

You know 0 about this game, i've been following it for years and i know every detail about it. The game is based around the history of the Age of Sail. Yes there is a "SuperNatural" part of the game, but the devs have designed the game so that you can completely avoid this content if you choose to keep your gameplay on the historical side. The only time you will ever see skeletons or voodoo doll type of stuff is if you choose to accept quest that take place in the "Super Natural" mission area which is instanced so you will never see it unless you want to.

Dont go around rambling about a game that you know nothing about.

NEXT!!!

Psst.. hey.. Isildur said that they are all fans of Tim Powers, and the OST books...  so they did have a bit to do with it...  But you are right. unless you want to see this type of content, you won't see it. ...  IF you want too.. then go search for it, they said it would behard to find, ...

I can't WAIT to sail into the bermuda triangle, that should be fun!!!!

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

Fans of ... Yes.  Based on ... No.  A lot of us have read it and it's a lot of fun, but our game is nothing like that.  Magic in that book was inescapable.  In our game you can play your entire career and never see it.  We've got *some* supernatural content if you go looking for it, as the lore of the sea was too colorful and full of fun legends for us to ignore it, but it's not the mainstay of the game.  And nothing you do or gain during supernatural missions has any use outside of it (other than say, XP), so you aren't going to face someone with fireball shooting canons and be gimped because you haven't visited the voodoo Foozle like they have. 

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Disclaimer: while I'm mentioning one particular poster in this thread, I'm not necessarily calling him out, just using him as an example of a larger player/forum base.

Samuraisword, you sound an awful lot like a lot of the "veteran" players who were part of the Vanguard pre-release hype machine. Vanbois, I think they were called? The desperate cries of "we want hardcore! We want 'meaningful travel'" (C'mon... "meaningful travel?" I can get in my car and drive from NY to LA and it doesn't "mean" squat until I arrive in LA. There's a reason humanity has gone from walking, to horses, to ships, to trains, to cars, and to planes after all.) Well, your then-King Brad delivered your "meaningful travel" and what did the Vanbois do? "ZOMFG this sucks, it takes too long to get to my friends so we can group for [whatever content]" Guess what happened? *POOF* suddenly teleporting to locations came to the game.

It's a game. It's not a reality simulation. The "rest of us" just want to have fun, and from the VG situation it seems the hardcore are only hardcore in their ideals but don't like it when they get what they asked for and suddenly they become "one of us" for a time.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

While Simulation are my favorite genre, 100% doesn't work, and will NEVER work in a game. There is a reason people train years and years to get good a certain things.

I think the thing that is needed most is a Open PvP server (nation vs. nation is best) where PvP isn't limited to those contested ports. It still boggles my mind that in a Pirate game there is no open sea PvP (away from ports).