Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW over EQ2 and WoW

tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

I posted one of these in the EQ2 boards and someone had already done it is the WoW boards but i want to hear it from the GW fans here in the boards on why GW over the EQ2 and WoW

Please post

Uilwen

---------------------------------------------
WoW
-Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
-Rhalon 81 UD Mage
-Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
"If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Comments

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
    So is no one gonna post why they Love GW or why they would pick it over the other 2 games????

Uilwen

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

• TiberiuxTiberiux Member Posts: 90

The reason is obvious to everyone.

No monthly fee.

Silly question really.

• AleisterAleister Member Posts: 208
    no monthly fee,6 holy mama. I wanna play

Shit i'm bad... I self educated myself in ways of controlling feelings, now nothing feels like it's true... gotta be an assasin or sumtin.

-----------------------
    ....must ....play .....WoWimage

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

I tested the game already , i loved it as 1 of the best gaming experiences iv ever played. Its also free which means i can play at my own pace and thats just the bottom line really of why GW over WoW and EQ2

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• YasardogleYasardogle Member UncommonPosts: 32

Im going to buy Guild Wars for its lack of monthly fee, cause I just dont plain like monthly fees. I love the whole aspect of the game surrounding team cooperation and guilds.

But on another note, Im going to probly buy Everquest II when it comes out. I love the general content and immersivness of the game and the community. Since the game is being made by MMO veterans, the graphics are "distinct", the game will have more depth than just combat, and something more than the elf, dwarf, human combo. There is just so much to do in Everquest II that I fell overwelmed...and I like that.

---
    "I'm really sick of elves, dwarves, and orcs. They can all climb into a pinto and back into a wall for all I care."

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680

mmorpgs without monthly fees aren't really that good.  They tend to be very glitchy and problematic because they don't have the money to fix the problems.  Look at runescape for example.  Free, but it was complete crap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Bobjones1303
    mmorpgs without monthly fees aren't really that good. They tend to be very glitchy and problematic because they don't have the money to fix the problems. Look at runescape for example. Free, but it was complete crap.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You don't sound like you actually played GW during E3. Even in alpha, it's already more solid and well-polished than most of the retail crap out there. And just because they won't be gouging obscene amounts of money from you doesn't mean they're going to be broke. And just letting SOE or whoever else rip you off doesn't mean the quality or support is any better ..if fact, it's often worse. There are plenty of rental games of such poor design they should be ashamed, but they don't care.

This is one of those things where too many people assume "you get what you pay for", but in reality, that just isn't true most of the time. Just because you are willing to pay more for something, and a company is willing to take more, does not by any stretch automatically equate to better quality of the product or service. ALL it means is that they are making out like bandits with your money, regardless of what you may or may not be getting.

• Rampage101Rampage101 Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Bobjones1303

mmorpgs without monthly fees aren't really that good.  They tend to be very glitchy and problematic because they don't have the money to fix the problems.  Look at runescape for example.  Free, but it was complete crap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw you on other topic's. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM WITH GUILDWARS!!!!

Mess with the best. DIE like the rest!!

Me kill you good...

My problem with guildwars...... well what is everyone's problem with guildwars if they choose to play another game?  All i stated was that free mmorpgs don't really end up that well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• wise04wise04 Member Posts: 7

the game is not free.

you will have to purchase the game just like any other.  however there is no monthly fee involved.  so here you are saying free games suck.  well, they might; but you're not saying anything about guild wars because you do in fact have to pay for it.  you just don't have to pay for it each month.

thats all i got to say on that. 

I actually was refering to monthly fees in what i said earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198
    Well there has never been a ' no monthly fee MMO ' such as Guild Wars before so any previous ' free ' games your refering too cannot even touch the power of GW and how good and successfull its gonna be.

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Guild Wars will be totally kick ass one...

Its by blizzard.... blizzard did starcraft and diablo - which i dont care if you played them till they were old news, were good games and among the best you ever played when you first got on, second.... Blizzard doesnt make glitchy and buggy games.

And look at games like AC2 and L2 and tell me that "you pay for what you get" nunt uh man... and pertaining to everquest... after playing Shadowbane... i could never go back to everquest... thats saying alot

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

You're 100% right.  I'm all for Blizzard.  They where still making patches for Starcraft and WCIII!  I thought they found all the bug?! :)  As for AC2 and L2... I seen my buddy level a DE/Ranger from 1 to 50+ in two days...  they need to nerf the crap out of bows... but they won't.

I had a dwarf and I was level 30 in 3 weeks... it sucked... then my guild made me sit for hours making D grade soul/spirit shots... very annoying.  And Shadowbane... lol!

I quit after a week of garbage exploits they still haven't fixed.

What will he do next?
  • GaurdianKingGaurdianKing Member Posts: 338
    Gild wars is not crerated by clizzard. One of there diablo2 and warcraft3 designers moved to areanet and created guildwars. One Freaking designer. It is'nt backed by blizzard.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

ANet is founded by 3 ex-blizzard people, actually, not one. But it's true, this isn't blizzard ..and that's a good thing. Blizzard is a hollow shell of the good company it used to be before becoming Vivendi's corporate whore. The two different groups that quit blizzard (the first being ANet), they are the people to be watching these days ..the people who made Blizz what it was. Blizz isn't the same company it used to be, but the same people are still around, just in different companies. There is ANet, and then Bill Roper's group, though haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm actually curious how they are planning to make money off this becuase it has no monthly fee.  It costs alot of money to keep the game and servers running smothly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to wonder the same thing... but look how sucessfull Diablo I and II where... there is no monthly fee for them either.

What will he do next?
    Yeah, but those aren't really massive multiplayers.  They could have a max of 8 players to a server thingy.  They really didn't require alot of money to keep up and running.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, but to host all the people playing on all of Battle.net...

What will he do next?
    Yeah i see, but still, it may cost a pretty penny, but still i think the managing costs for guildwars will be higher than that of battle.net.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15

Well have you thought about the fact that since there is no monthly fee that they're going to sell more copies of the game to even people that aren't hardcore gamers.

Especially when its the most polished non-monthly fee game.

EQ2s characters look like crap to me. They did a terrible job on the faces from what i've seen, but it doesn't say anything about the gameplay.

Does this character look crap to you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by shadojo

Well have you thought about the fact that since there is no monthly fee that they're going to sell more copies of the game to even people that aren't hardcore gamers.
    Especially when its the most polished non-monthly fee game.
     EQ2s characters look like crap to me. They did a terrible job on the faces from what i've seen, but it doesn't say anything about the gameplay.

I agree that it is the most polished non-monthly fee game, and that it will sell to alot of people.  Still, it does take a lot of money to keep these games running smothly, but yeah i see what ya mean.

As for the eq2 characters looking crap, look at my post on top of this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15
    Well on the money part thats just something game developers have to risk. And that screenshot doesnt look bad but from what I've seen on the site on the darkelves and other look pretty sad

This discussion has been closed.