Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran Reward: Lady Luck Ship

MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

Well I don't remember the technical name for the ship, but apparently SOE is rewarding veteran players with the same type of ship as the 'Lady Luck'.  For those of you not familiar with the ship, it looks kinda like a luxury liner, and it was made famous by Lando.  It will be multi-passenger, which probably means that the interior will be fully fleshed out, like the YT-1300.

There's one catch though.  You have to have been subscribed for six month consecutively.  Q-3P0 later clarified that it has to be six months straight - no cancellations between.  To be honest, I've shrugged off a lot of stuff that SOE has thrown out - I've been loyal to this game mostly because of the Star Wars theme.  But right about now it feels like any sense of 'veteranship' I've earned with being so loyal to the game has been for naught.

In truth I've been subscribed for about 90% of the time the game has been live, but I've never achieved six straight months without a cancellation.  There have been several times that I've cancelled my account merely to change the billing date.  Also I've taken several 1-2 week vacations from the game.  But because of this I won't be able to qualify for their veteran reward.

Maybe this is what I get for not being consistent.  I'd like a multipassenger ship other than the YT-1300 which every other play will be flying , but what to do?  What do you folks think about this?

- m o n t h i g o s -
www.avixiva.com

- m o n t h i g o s -

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of MMORPG.com

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Im in the same boat  you are.

However I resubscribed last month so I should be getting the yacht by the time the expansion comes out....and you should too if you're currently playing it

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

Yeah, the more I look at this the more I see marketing ploy rather than veteran reward.  Basically when I think of Veteran I think of people who have been with the game since the beginning or near to that.  However as you and several others have pointed out, if you just subscribe now a month or two after SE release you'll have the ship.  Kinda seems silly now.

But hey, as long as its not the YT-1300 I'm happy.

- m o n t h i g o s -
    www.avixiva.com

- m o n t h i g o s -

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

yeah but if u think about it, its really no different than getting the SWG goggles by spending twenty bucks more on the Limited Ed SWG.

Unfort many mmorpgs are like this (SWG isn't the only one)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Originally posted by Monthigos

Well I don't remember the technical name for the ship, but apparently SOE is rewarding veteran players with the same type of ship as the 'Lady Luck'.  For those of you not familiar with the ship, it looks kinda like a luxury liner, and it was made famous by Lando. 
    - m o n t h i g o s -
    www.avixiva.com

Actually, it was the Millennium Falcon made famous by Lando. The book "Star Wars - A New Hope" is first cannon. It came out before the first SW movie. Then the Star Wars movies are next level in cannon. Then the book adaptations of the movies. Then we enter the realm of the EU aka the Expanded Universe. SW stories and material not written or created by Lucas. But by other authors. Lucas and/or his company then OK's it.

There is the classic EU. Which is other SW books written from 1978 to roughly around 1995. Up to Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. This includes other books like "Han Solo Beyond Stars End", the Han Solo Triology, the Lando Calrissian Triology, and many others. Heir to the Empire completly revived the SW franchise and arguably lit a fire under Lucas's butt to release the newest 3 SW movies. It also ushered in the NEW EU. The X-Wing series, and the newest EU of all, the Dark Tide:Onslaught books.

50% of all SW fans do not accept the newest EU.

Anyway, the ship Lady Luck is mentioned only in the EU. From the book descriptions, it is a big boat. It is not a YT-Freighter. It is a 100% luxery liner ship. Imagine a small version of the Queen Mary II in space. It's not fit for battles, blockade running, combat, not too quick, not heavily armored, or heavily gunned, etc...... It's basically a big huge Motorhome in space LOL. IMHO no one is missing anything if they DO NOT get a Lady Luck ship. In fact, I would get rid of it if the SWG game DEVs gave me one. I personally am set on owning a B-Wing and a Corellian Corvette.

Want a real ship? Try the Outridder owned by Dash Rendar. Or even a YT-Freighter (Han Solo's ship), or a "patrol" boat (Boba Fett's ship), or even a Corellian Corvette (made famous by Princess Leia in A New Hope, the ship she was fleeing fhe Star Destroyer. )

Incidently, Leia's ship origianlly was suppose to be Han Solo's ship. But during the time Star Wars relased another movie called Black Hole came out roughly around the same time. Same with Battle Star Galactica, and Battle Beyond the Stars. Lucas wanted Han's ship to look as unlike any ship in any other movie by the main characters in other space movies. So the character of Princess Leia got the ship ment for Han, and Han got a new ship redesigned for his character.

A Corellian Corvette is still far better than the Lady Luck. But hey, if a SWG player wants to role-play their character as a rich buisnessperson, then the Lady Luck would work. And even the ship flown by Mara Jade's father.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• MonthigosMonthigos Staff WriterMember Posts: 61

Originally posted by xplororor

Actually, it was the Millennium Falcon made famous by Lando.

You misunderstand my statement.  I was implying that the Lady Luck is a well known ship amongst Star Wars fans because it was owned by Lando, a well known Star Wars character.  My statement has nothing with the Millenium Falcon.  It sounds like you're talking in context to character interaction in the movies.  IE smugglers and other underworld characters know of the millenium falcon because of the exploits of Lando.  I was talking more of a character to fan interaction, that's all.

BTW, I am somewhat familiar with EU, but I appreciate the brusher-up.  ;)

Anyway, you asked why anyone would want to pilot the ship.  Well its a status symbol for one.  Secondly there are only two multipassenger ships announced so far - the YT-1300 and now the SoroSuub Personal Luxury Yacht 3000 (I looked it up).  Multipassenger ships are going to be a hot item - everyone will want to own one.  So that means a lot of people in YT-1300s.  I'm sure there a lot of people who don't want to be in the same ship everyone else is, hence the excitement of owning this veteran ship.  The other thing I want to point out is that JtL ships will have a varying degree of modification - which means that people will be able to modify their ships above and beyond standard specs.  The Millenium Falcon is actually a heavily modified YT-1300 - the standard model is a piece of crap, as Luke pointed out, and somewhat outdated.  It is not unlikely that players will be able to make the same kind of modifications to their ship as well.

You know you mention a bunch of other ships that would be great substitutions, and I don't doubt it, but NONE of those other ships you mentioned have been announced as player ships.  Hence the excitement over this ship.  The outrider (YT-2400) is a great ship, I sure hope they include it but I haven't seen or heard anything about it.  It is unlikely it will be in at launch as it will be a multipassenger ship, and the devs seem to indicate that the multipassenger ships will be limited.  Boba Fett's ship  (the Kuat Systems Firespray-class patrol ship) is a great ship, although not announced either.  According to EU its also rare, as Jango Fett destroyed all the other firesprays when he stole this one and escaped from where he was imprisoned.  If they do put it in, it's likely that it won't be a multipassenger ship because of its small size. 

And a corvette?  That I REALLY doubt would be player flyable.  Maybe the corvette rip off they have at starports in SWG, but the corvette is huge!  It was big enough that they made a dungeon out of it.  I really doubt it will be a ship that the player can fly around.  Incidentally, like I mentioned before, the YT-1300 base model is a crap ship too, made for transporting and not for combat.  The base model isn't much better than the yacht, but the beauty of it is that you can upgrade it, like Han Solo did, which is what you will probably be able to do with the yacht like I mentioned before.

So as far as multipassenger ships that leaves just the YT-1300 and the SoroSuub Personal Luxury Yacht 3000 for confirmed models.  With only two choices (either that or get a fighter), can you see why its so desirable?

- m o n t h i g o s -
    www.avixiva.com

- m o n t h i g o s -

• unaydonunaydon Member Posts: 116
    I think it is just soe way to get u to buy the xpackimage

• Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

Yeah, it seems that this is more a reward for being subscribed for six consecutive months (to keep the numbers up) and you don't get it unless you pay extra for JTL.  I appreciate the "reward," though.  This ship is in the game Jedi Outcast and has a really pimpin' interior. 

At least there will be one other multiplayer ship.

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

This ship is a replacement of your starter ship, which will be pilot only, non-upgradeable, and most people will have this. The Lady Luck will be multi-passanger, might be upgradeable (not sure on this), and not as many will have this ship. Plus its free! I doubt you're gonna get a YT-1300 for that price. And it still has weapons and cargo space and room for your friends to have drinks.

Hell, I could fly it through an Imperial blocade with one laser cannon and a half-broken engine. But of course, thats just meimage

Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server)

Games Tried:
    Everquest (not a power gamer)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad from what I saw, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

I don't believe it was said that it would be a replacement.  It could be...I just don't recall seeing that on the website.

Anyhoot, I'll be getting mine. image

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

Nope, no mention of a replacement

Buying JTS will automatically give you a starter ship (probably a Z95 headhunter) and if you have/when you get 6 months consecutive playing you get the vet ship

I assume however that there will be a limit on how many ships you can have [in your datapad] but I suspect the vet gift wont count against this (it definately wont be tradeable and probably wont be deleteable)

Just to cover some of the above comments....

The Outrider was also a YT, but a 2200 rather than a 1300

The Corvette is a capital ship - I doubt we will be seeing player cap ships anytime soon (you do have 29 other friends to help you fly it right?)

I think the devs made a good call with the vet reward, they could just as easily released a limited edition JTS and made the ship a bonus for those that bought it (as they did with goggles and the original collectors edition). They couldnt really do another speeder because they already introduced a 'rare' speeder with the corvette mission

Since the games only been around 12 months I think 6 months consecutive isnt much to ask of players

• Originally posted by 5150

Nope, no mention of a replacement
    The Corvette is a capital ship - I doubt we will be seeing player cap ships anytime soon (you do have 29 other friends to help you fly it right?)

The Corellian Corvette is not a capital ship. It is 1 size larger than the Falcon, and not by much. Remember, it was ment to originally be Han Solo's personal ship. The one that Leia used needs a minimum crew of 11 to man (or woman) it. There are also many different sizes of Corellian Corvettes. (You will have to go on the uber- SW fan sites for that info. Those sites that measure the exact length of every ship, how much each ship weighs, etc... LOL. In fact one of them roughly 1 1/2 years ago let the SWG game DEVs know that the mesurements for the X-Wing cocpit were off!)

Since computers in SWG are far more advanced than the computers in our planet (at least the computers that are publically known about heheh.) it is very easy for 1-2 people with enough credits to customize enough a Corellian Corvette, to be able to fly it. Heck Fett customized his ship enough that it can fly itself with a crew of 0.

======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

The Corellian Corvette is not a capital ship. It is 1 size larger than the Falcon, and not by much. Remember, it was ment to originally be Han Solo's personal ship. The one that Leia used needs a minimum crew of 11 to man (or woman) it. There are also many different sizes of Corellian Corvettes. (You will have to go on the uber- SW fan sites for that info. Those sites that measure the exact length of every ship, how much each ship weighs, etc... LOL. In fact one of them roughly 1 1/2 years ago let the SWG game DEVs know that the mesurements for the X-Wing cocpit were off!)
     Since computers in SWG are far more advanced than the computers in our planet (at least the computers that are publically known about heheh.) it is very easy for 1-2 people with enough credits to customize enough a Corellian Corvette, to be able to fly it. Heck Fett customized his ship enough that it can fly itself with a crew of 0.

Not sure where you're getting your info from...

The 'size larger' than the YT1300 (starfighter scale) _is_ captial ship - every piece of reference material I own or have ever seen describes the Corvette as a capital ship. YT1300 is something like 30m long and the Corvette is 150m long (acording to reference material)

Another easy way to verify this would be to compare the interior size of the YT1300 when jump to light speed comes out with the deck layout of the Corvette mission - I think you'll see a major difference in size.

Regarding crew - _in theory_ you could replace crew members with droids (and I know one instance where this was done with a Frigate), however there are reasons why this wasnt widely adopted in the SW universe  (too complex to get into here), I will however leave you with this small example....

In ESB when the Falcon had 'engine problems' trying to flee Hoff, whilst the Falcon can be crewed by 1 person you'll note that Leia was flying while Han and Chewie were messing around below decks - now consider that the Engine section on a corvette is no where near the bridge you can see why you need multiple 'sentients' to crew a ship and it then comes down to the specific droid issues as to why they werent commonly used (however in SWG this wont be possible since a player can only have a single active droid)

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

The reason they usually don't replace crew with droids is the Katana Fleet. But we won't get into that k?image

By a size larger, I think he means that an X-Wing is a starfighter, a YT-1300 is a freighter, and a Corellian Corvette is a small capital ship. Or hes using the d20 rules as a refrence. I don't know.

It is a capital ship, but its the smallest of them. Remember, it fit in the Main hanger of a Star Destroyer. Thats pretty tiny (even if a Star Destroyer is big).

Oh, and its Hoth, not Hoff (sorry, the Star Wars fan in me made me do it image)

Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server)

Games Tried:
    Everquest (not a power gamer)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad from what I saw, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

Originally posted by Cthulhuvong

Oh, and its Hoth, not Hoff (sorry, the Star Wars fan in me made me do it image)

Yeah my bad - I have a friend who's nickname is Hoff, force of habit I'm afraid

• Axel_karefAxel_karef Member Posts: 279

Does renewing the subscription a day or 2 late count as a "cancellation?" if so then whatever my friend signed up for the 1 year and the weapons on it will probly suck anyway. Time to start savin up faction for my freakin X-wing.

-------------------------------

"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." -Jack Handey

---------------------------------------------
    "If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." -Jack Handey

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by Axel_karef

Does renewing the subscription a day or 2 late count as a "cancellation?" if so then whatever my friend signed up for the 1 year and the weapons on it will probly suck anyway. Time to start savin up faction for my freakin X-wing.

The devs have said they will be accounting for things such as that.  I would imagine that having a subscription break of a week or two will be fine but it's when there are gaps of months, you probably won't be getting the ship.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

For a game that has been out barely more than a year, I think that 6 conscutive months is a decent control for a prize.  There will always be a few like you who will have particular situations and feel like they are screwed, but that happens no matter what limits they put out.

And no I will not be getting a ship....  only did 4 consecutive months .....

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Monthigos
    Well I don't remember the technical name for the ship, but apparently SOE is rewarding veteran players with the same type of ship as the 'Lady Luck'.  For those of you not familiar with the ship, it looks kinda like a luxury liner, and it was made famous by Lando. 
    - m o n t h i g o s -www.avixiva.comActually, it was the Millennium Falcon made famous by Lando. The book "Star Wars - A New Hope" is first cannon. It came out before the first SW movie. Then the Star Wars movies are next level in cannon. Then the book adaptations of the movies. Then we enter the realm of the EU aka the Expanded Universe. SW stories and material not written or created by Lucas. But by other authors. Lucas and/or his company then OK's it.
     There is the classic EU. Which is other SW books written from 1978 to roughly around 1995. Up to Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. This includes other books like "Han Solo Beyond Stars End", the Han Solo Triology, the Lando Calrissian Triology, and many others. Heir to the Empire completly revived the SW franchise and arguably lit a fire under Lucas's butt to release the newest 3 SW movies. It also ushered in the NEW EU. The X-Wing series, and the newest EU of all, the Dark Tide:Onslaught books.
     50% of all SW fans do not accept the newest EU.
    Anyway, the ship Lady Luck is mentioned only in the EU. From the book descriptions, it is a big boat. It is not a YT-Freighter. It is a 100% luxery liner ship. Imagine a small version of the Queen Mary II in space. It's not fit for battles, blockade running, combat, not too quick, not heavily armored, or heavily gunned, etc...... It's basically a big huge Motorhome in space LOL. IMHO no one is missing anything if they DO NOT get a Lady Luck ship. In fact, I would get rid of it if the SWG game DEVs gave me one. I personally am set on owning a B-Wing and a Corellian Corvette.
     Want a real ship? Try the Outridder owned by Dash Rendar. Or even a YT-Freighter (Han Solo's ship), or a "patrol" boat (Boba Fett's ship), or even a Corellian Corvette (made famous by Princess Leia in A New Hope, the ship she was fleeing fhe Star Destroyer. )
     Incidently, Leia's ship origianlly was suppose to be Han Solo's ship. But during the time Star Wars relased another movie called Black Hole came out roughly around the same time. Same with Battle Star Galactica, and Battle Beyond the Stars. Lucas wanted Han's ship to look as unlike any ship in any other movie by the main characters in other space movies. So the character of Princess Leia got the ship ment for Han, and Han got a new ship redesigned for his character.
     A Corellian Corvette is still far better than the Lady Luck. But hey, if a SWG player wants to role-play their character as a rich buisnessperson, then the Lady Luck would work. And even the ship flown by Mara Jade's father.================================ SIGNATURE ==================================MMORPG games I've played:-------------------------http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    Star Wars Galaxies:-------------------http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor
    More games:-----------http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

The Lady Luck has already been designed and shown in other Lucas games. They showed it inside and out in Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. Big ship, nothing special about its looks, alittle rocket ship ish looking for Lucas, but it was just ground out by the game dev's I am sure. Very expensive looking interrior. There was not a huge amount of room in it in JK however. The Lady Luck is Lando's current ship post Return of the Jedi in the Lucas GAMES timeline. I don't play SWG, which is the ONLY Lucas made Star Wars themed game I do not play due to the fact that Lucas bedd'ed with SOE to put it out, but I wanted to share that little tidbit. If you search for Jedi Knight game screen caps you may get to see it.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World