Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people see in this game?

WeringoWeringo Member Posts: 23

I played this game for about 1 hour, at 1st I thought wow, great graphics and it runs well on my crappy low end computer. After about a 1/2 hour I was starting to get bored, I kept dying in the tutorial and I never seemed to get anywhere, even if i did get somewhere I dont think i would find it anymore interesting.

I really want to like this game but I cant, can someone tell me whats acually good about this game?

Comments

• AprillyAprilly Member UncommonPosts: 124

You have to play a lot longer than a few hours to decide about AO.  The game has a steep learning curve.  There is so much to it that even after a few weeks there is much you have not seen.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

• AzzazzimonAzzazzimon Member UncommonPosts: 211

I think the best about the game is that you can customize your character very much with implants, weapons and everything at lower lvl.

Just play the game and explore the easy parts of Shadowlands until you learn the basics.

The community is also very good.

-------------------------
    Azzazzimon

Azzazzimon

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389

The Great thing about Anarchy Online is the completity of it.
    Thats the reason i played this game for so long

Maxxx - Sieghardt - 3x Elf Scout - Lineage2

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244

I wish I could "unlearn" all my time in AO and start playing it without the knowledge I have now after playing it for about 3 years. A LOT of content in this one and a great comunity

It would be one hell of a ride.

My recomendation would be to hang in there. The complexity of AO is what keeps you interested when the novelty factor wears off. Its truely one of the great MMOs out there. I dont play anymore but looking back I can honestly say that I havent played any game with an addition factor as high as AO.

Kept me interested for almost 3 years, before it got stale, with the high lvl Hecklering in SL. With the expansion AI, I could see a "rebirth" of this game 

• imasigimasig Member Posts: 149

AO is a great game.  You can play it as a powergamer or a casual gamer.  Lots of options for crafters, levelers, PVPers.  It's all in AO.  Get out of the training area and do some missions.  Look up on the AO forums for ways to develop your character.  (You'll waste a whole lot of IP if you don't.)  If you find yourself getting bored, ask the OCC channel what a fun thing to do is for the level your on.

• LunitariLunitari Member Posts: 32

*POST SUPPOSED TO BE DELETED YET I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW LOL*

4 JULY 04

Bartle's test results

Explorer 73%
    Achiever 60%
    Socializer 46%
    Killer 20%

Originally posted by Lunitari

AO was THE FIRST game to breach the Sci-Fi MMORPG genre.  And it's kind of added SOME fantasy aspects with Shadowlands to appeal to even more gamers.
    Like he said, hang in there, there's a lot of content in the game and you'll have to play for a while to even reasonably explore a FRACTION of what's in.

AO wasn't a pure Sci-Fi game before Shadowlands either, just look at Camelot with knights and dragons...

I like fantasy so I don't mind tho, but I never understood the reason to mix knights in there:)

Azzazzimon

Azzazzimon

• AO was the best mmorpg before SL! The best i tell u! Not many players tho, but still the best. After SL it all got screwed up! Really screwed up! U can have fun now at low lvls but at high lvl u ahve to be able to play for many hours if u wanna get somewhere, u ahve to have the time to camp like hell. Every good weapon can now be found in SL and u have to camp for it with a team...a good team. U cannot do anything solo anymore. Nothing! there are some professions that can do better solo but they also needs help if they wanna do something like level, get money etc. So it was fun and it was rewarding. Now is not! The game grew so big now that is hard to find players to team with too. At low lvl u can find ppl running here and there so is no biggie but at high lvl? good luck! the RPG is the suck too. Ppl from different faction team with eachother in SL cuz there rn't many ppl u can team with so the hate betwin Omni and clans wears out as u go deeper and deeper into SL.

So yes many of this guys are correct is a game that let u discover alot! it lets u costumize your char alot...IF - and this is a big if, u ahve time! If u're willing to sacrifice most of your time to play! Let's not forget that at lvl 200 u will already be bored to hell of killing hecklers (u'll know what this is at lvl 50 already) and u'll keep killing that same mob over and over and over and over again untill u'll have dreams about it. and as u reach lvl 200 u'll find out that the only mob that is worth killing to further improve your char is heckers! HAve fun if u can!

If they woudl remove SL i would more than happy return to AO! and i think many would. Funcom always says they are against camping, but they do nothing to improve the situation. Ppl complain about stuff and Funcom fixes somethign else which nobody asks about to be fixed nor was it broken. All in all is a good game in hands of a very incompetent company who does nothign to improve the game play exept create time sinks!

I still love this game and i hope it gets better but everytime i wanna go back to AO i go to their forums and read the complain that the ppl write in! and that keeps me away from it!

Just look at professions and read the enforcers wishlists or others bug lists posted by the so called professionals (ppl who have more knoledge about their professions). U'll find out that the profession that was designed to tank can't tank, the doc healing is worse than the agent healing abilities after a certain lvl which is very stupid if u ask me, and many otehr problems. One problem that annoys me is that u cannot improve your dmg by reasing your skill after a certain amout so this means that about lvl 190 as an ENF u  will no longer make more dmg with that weapon no mather how much points u spend on that skill. this is ridiculous. kinda takes away the point of lvl-ing, the point of skill request when u get a new weapon. why shoudl a weapon require 1400 skill when u're capped at 1200? no mather how much ip u put in that skill it woudl never make u do more dmg.

This game is broken! the costumization of the char is what keeps ppl going. Many ppl starts new chars when they get bored because the twinking process is fun and entertaining but after a while u get boored by that too.

I had several lvl 200 chars before SL, without SL I know I would have quit AO long ago because after you are lvl 200 and have killed everything on RK afew times it's nothing to do.

An expansion was a must and SL was alot of fun for afew months, but got abit pointless after lvl 210 when the xp curve really going up and no fun way to get xp.

Azzazzimon

Azzazzimon

• FarseenFarseen Member UncommonPosts: 344

Tell me honestly, did you actually die in the training grounds more then twice? I mean, once sure - thats understood, you fought something too high and didnt know what to do. Twice ? Yea alrite, i can see your just getting the hang of the special attacks, but more then that, no way!

And even still, after you get out of the training grounds, theres always a place to look forward to hunting! Its awesome! SO many different types of armor for everyone, so many paths you can take and skills to level up ? I mean how could you NOT like this game! The only reason i could see someone leave the game is because their not into sci-fi MMORPGs but other then that cmon! Theres no level grind, well, maybe not until level 200. But until then, its so much fun finding different items and armor and new weapons and nanos! Lions Tigers and Bears OH MY !!

-Farseen-
    " Faruka ! "

- Farseen

Current Game: Panzar

• CervantusCervantus Member Posts: 28

Is there a detailed newbie guide for AO? When I played it, I could only manage to get to level 10 before I gave up. I found it to be very confusing, especially trade skills. The whole game wasn't very clear to me.

POST CUT

Bartle's test results

Explorer 73%
    Achiever 60%
    Socializer 46%
    Killer 20%

I had the same problem with not knowing what to do.  We've both started playing since the expansions and everything else they've added into the game with patches.  I'm sure when the game first came out there was much less do so it wasn't quite as complex.  Now as a new player I think you can get a bit overwhelmed.  Anyways I haven't really looked at any general newbie guides, but I have found some very good newbie guides on each profession.  If you search the AO forums or http://ao.stratics.com/ then I'm sure you can find a good guide to at least figure out how to develop your character.

Basically I've determined you need to go to Shadowlands for XP but Rubi-Ka to have fun.  The storyline on Rubi-Ka is much better and there are some interesting quest to be done there.  Shadowlands is more for leveling your character although it is fun trying to progress your way through the gardens.

EDIT: POST CUT FOR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT-Lunitari

Bartle's test results

Explorer 73%
    Achiever 60%
    Socializer 46%
    Killer 20%

When I first started I didn't know about SL.  I just bounced around Rubi-Ka doing missions and got to level 17 in about a week.  Then I started a new character in Jobe and teamed up with a friend.  The training area mobs were giving me significantly more xp than the mission mobs on rubi-ka.  I ended up getting to level 20 in one night of playing.  The temple of 3 winds in rubi-ka is pretty darn good though for xp and items.  But you have to be level 25 to get in there.  So I would do SL for the first 25 levels, then jump over to the temple of 3 winds till about level 40-45, then back to SL.  That is if you're looking to level.  Otherwise rubi-ka has a lot more fun things to do.

Levelling in AO should primarily be done in Shadowlands. First start your char in the Jobe training. Level to 8 or so, then head on over to Nascense. Fight stuff there in a group until 25-30. Head over to the Temple of Three Winds. Get the stuff you need from the temple:

1. GoT Belt
    2. Dark Memories (one or two will do, unless your greedy =D)
    3. GoT Tank Armor (GTA) if your an Enf its a necessity
    4. Exarch Robes
    5. Notum Ring of the Three
    6. Platinum Ring

Thats all you really need, unless your looking for specifics like weapons.

Then head back over to Shadowlands and goto the Aban Garden. From there, hit up the Core and get an NT in your group and a Tank and MASS NUKE the things with tentacle looking arms. Then once level 40, goto Hecklers and fight there forever....haha - thats my advice, not sure about after level 60ish. Have Fun !

-Farseen-
    " Faruka ! "

- Farseen

• TrigeminalTrigeminal Member Posts: 7

I said the same thing about AC1. I couldn't play it past 1 hour but AO I love. I've played all the mmorpgs out there and I keep coming back to AO.

I've changed my views on Anarchy Online my friends. Still, a great and amazing game, but doesn't meet up to the community, graphics and fun of SWG. I was with SWG during its beginning stages and thats why i originally left, they were nerfing stuff off like crazy! Recently, i came back, and im loving it!

SWG has everything i could ever want now, including a nice Swoop Bike ! haha so come check it out if you guys get a chance.

-Farseen-
    " Faruka ! "

- Farseen

• blaqknightblaqknight Member Posts: 2
    I can't comment on SWG 'cause I never played it (too much bad press from EVERYBODY I talked to) AO is fun but you gotta keep at it cause of the learning curve. There is A LOT to do and see there. Did you start in SL or the regular newbie zones on Rubi-Ka? The SL starter zones are a bit mor friendly. Also the community there is the best I've seen anywhere. Give it a chance... I'll bet it'll grow on you.image

Star Wars Galaxies only received so many bad reviews because it was practically still in beta during its release. New patches and mods were being released every day. I went though exactly that, and left the game because of it. But now i have returned because i saw potential, and boy have they made it better.

Theres way to much to explain, you just have to go try it yourself. Honestly, they have improved the game at least bye 150%, its awesome. Im having the time of my life, well, MMORPG wise =)

-Farseen-
    " Faruka ! "

- Farseen

• crockcrock Member Posts: 556

SWG much bigger community..so more whiners)
    AO is small community.. some hecklers freaks who enjoy killing hecklers all the time
    and camping some mobs with fat loot and insane respawn time
    PvP tower wars is teh lag fiesta

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

To the guy talking about bad press....

Youd never have played AO had you read the press when that went live! image

• sacasesacase Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by 5150

To the guy talking about bad press....
    Youd never have played AO had you read the press when that went live! image

All I got to say is patch 12.6.

AO vets know what I mean. LOL

• diegofrgcdiegofrgc Member Posts: 451

Well, this game WAS and IS better than SWG. SWG has more community because of the SW fans. Im a SW fan, and I hate SWG, thats why I play SW: KoTOR , best SW game ther isimage.

I left AO, and now im playing UO <great game image> but i may play AO again with Alien Invasion, it will kick every Sci-fi mmorpg ass. Yeah, imagine.......aboarding in a spaceship, killing an army  of aliens in their own base with your friends!!!!!!!!Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!imageimageimage