Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you personaly rate EVE 1-10

Comments

• FlipburgerFlipburger Member Posts: 18

Eve is a solid 5.

The game is great and the potential is huge but the devs just can't seem to get it together and do anything but break stuff. I finally unsubbed after 3-1/2 years of watching them trip over their own puds. Replace the devs with competent ones and I'd probably come back. The current ignore-everything-important-and-add-more-broken-content ones ain't cutting it...

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Originally posted by XiticiX

Originally posted by thehero1000

first i give it a 7 out of ten, it would have been higher but the combat interface was too simple. I guess some people like simplicty but i don't. i dont like that when your fighting someone they can warp off so fast. mining takes awhile i remember just waiting the for 4-6 mins to get minerals or what ever there called.
    now the things i liked about EVE first how complex the game is i mean the turtorial toke me an hour and a half to complete. the graphic were great i mean easly 20,000-30,000 polys per ship. lastly the size of the map its huge EVE has ove 1milllon users and more than 20,000 users on at any given time and i would only see 1 person every 5-10 mins.  this is why i like EVE how about you?

Warp Disruptors.  Love them.  Use them.

I give it an 8.  No other MMORPG has held my interest for more than a month of play.  And I've tried most of them.

Eve Online is an intellectual game - It's not soething you can mindlessly play.  That said, it doesn't take a TON of training to do anything either. 

My suggestion is JOIN A CORPORATION RIGHT AWAY!  Don't slog around in empire mining or killing useless rats for the first 3 months of your existance like I did.  Once I joined a corp, my knowledge of the game went from 1 to 11 in a heartbeat. 

10 months and still goin' strong.

Eve online isn't that much of an intellectual game.....buy low, sell high....

if Eve Online had so much intricate complication to it, people couldn't play it (mining, missioning), and watch TV, play other games, and anything else.

The actual game play is throw a few things on a ship and go fly ship around.......press few buttons to fire weapons or afterburners....

For those who can overlook the DEV's cheating and still manage to find fun in their uneven playing field, they deserve what they pay for...its amazing how many people like to delude themselves into thinking this game is rocket science....

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

for the overall rating, I'd say it deserved an 8, because it can be fun and the economic model, although not complicated, is fun to build a virtual empire.  Because of the Dev corruption which lowers the fun of building a virtual empire, I'd have to modify that rating by -3.  because of all the rampant cheating from the players and the dev's helping to support said players in rampant cheating, I'd have to modify that rating another -3. 

SO there my rating for Eve online is a 2.....

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by blackcat35

for the overall rating, I'd say it deserved an 8, because it can be fun and the economic model, although not complicated, is fun to build a virtual empire.  Because of the Dev corruption which lowers the fun of building a virtual empire, I'd have to modify that rating by -3.  because of all the rampant cheating from the players and the dev's helping to support said players in rampant cheating, I'd have to modify that rating another -3. 

SO there my rating for Eve online is a 2.....

LoL  What dev corruption?

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

I would certainly say it is 8.8 and climbing too..... the stuff in the works for the next 12 months will further improve what is already a great game.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

I'd give it about a 6/10.

Eve as a game is a great idea, but it just doesn't have the appeal that gets average players hooked.  I was a player that came from WoW, sci-fi is my thing and I never liked fantasy.  But for some reason I still prefer WoW as my MMO.  I always was into pvp, but Eve's consists of gate camping or running if you can't win...not really my thing, I like it fast paced and frequent.  I also don't like to loose weeks of work if I happen to die.

At first Eve seems complex and the vet players like to brag about that, but once you learn the interface you find it is actually LESS complex than many other MMOs.  That and the content is lacking, you find yourself just waiting for skills to finish training so you can try something new.

Eve hasn't hit 500k players yet, which is pretty low for a game which has had as much advertising as Eve did (and continues to have).

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by NasherUK

Eve as a game is a great idea, but it just doesn't have the appeal that gets average players hooked.  I was a player that came from WoW, sci-fi is my thing and I never liked fantasy.  But for some reason I still prefer WoW as my MMO.  I always was into pvp, but Eve's consists of gate camping or running if you can't win...not really my thing, I like it fast paced and frequent.  I also don't like to loose weeks of work if I happen to die.
    At first Eve seems complex and the vet players like to brag about that, but once you learn the interface you find it is actually LESS complex than many other MMOs.  That and the content is lacking, you find yourself just waiting for skills to finish training so you can try something new.
    Eve hasn't hit 500k players yet, which is pretty low for a game which has had as much advertising as Eve did (and continues to have).

Not really 500k is a good number for 1 server.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

The only advertizing EVE gets is on gamer websites.  It does not get national add campaigns like WOW, EQ2, LOTR, etc do.  It's not in a box that people see on store shelves, it's ONLY available via download.

Given those facts the fact that EVE has 210,000 subscriptions is pretty darn impressive actually.

Anyone who thinks EVE is "advertised" anywhere outside 'gaming' WEBSITES (and not even on most of those) needs to do a little more research. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Advertising, what is this advertising you speak of?  Posting an advert on MMORPG and a few other sites?  I must have missed the massive ad campaign in all the gaming mags, or the TV commercials and Southpark rip-offs, or failed to notice the huge shelf presence when I last visited EB games.

No, EVE does quite well with its 200K+ subs atm and I think the addition of player avatars and some other enhancements will only improve on the numbers as time goes on.

As to developer cheating, yes it happened, but no, it hardly affected anyone in a direct way.  Time to just move on and play the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Ill be rating this game a straight 1 because this game is one of the worst games ever seen ever. This game is basically a WoW clone.

Only joking  I personally will give it a 9/10 The graphics right now are getting a little dated of late. But with the new graphics engine based on DirectX 9.0 this should be sorted out. Gameplaywise its pretty good lots to do and see.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• CluesoClueso Member Posts: 1

Out of curiosity how many account names are you going to post on this thread with or for that matter these forums with? So far METALDRAGON, JADEDRAGON and LordSlater are all one in the same I wonder how many more there are.... Its seems that under your profiles you identify yourself as Mark Bright from Peterborough, age 28. I do like the link you have for yourself http://lord.slater.youaremighty.com says a bit about you self image eh? Also seem you're boosting you post number on your latest account METALDRAGON to what end? This is all just Tinfoil Hat mentality right? In one word, BUSTED!!!!

Originally posted by Clueso

Out of curiosity how many account names are you going to post on this thread with or for that matter these forums with? So far METALDRAGON, JADEDRAGON and LordSlater are all one in the same I wonder how many more there are.... Its seems that under your profiles you identify yourself as Mark Bright from Peterborough, age 28. I do like the link you have for yourself http://lord.slater.youaremighty.com says a bit about you self image eh? Also seem you're boosting you post number on your latest account METALDRAGON to what end? This is all just Tinfoil Hat mentality right? In one word, BUSTED!!!! RRRIIIGGGHHHTTT 

I didnt like my last one. And besides i forgot my secret question for the last one so cant get the password and so i can continue posting i created this tempory account so i can post till i work out the password [tho i do like this one and i may keep it, and i prefer if my forum name is similar at least to my Main game accounts so im easy to be found ingame.  

Just out of curiosity how many accounts have you made today for various voting purposes? you see i couldnt help noticing that your guy is just a few hours old with one post with false name and probably false details [unlike mine at least i didnt hide the fact].

Its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black really.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

EvE i have found has very little advertising compared to other games i could mention to begine with i have yet to see any big magazine adverts. When i say magazine adverts i mean those 2 page spreads you get a lot. Also it has no TV adverts which granted very few online games hase ever done this [mainly WoW in my experience].

Considering this EvE has done pretty well with 1 server from the begining it has steadily increased in subscriber numbers and while not as popular as the mainstream cookie-cutter games out there EvE has done well. Currently EvE has around 210,000 paying accounts which is a healphy figre i think. 

It s worth mentioning tho that as time went by EvE got some free advertising for example partly because EvE is soon to be VISTA compatable Micro$oft [at least a couple months ago] Put a small eve add on there website. Also there has been some word of mouth and some magazine publisherswho are usually fans of eve to one degree or another have done articles on EvE covering majour events.

-- Jean Rostand

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by LordSlater

Here you go:  http://mmogdata.voig.com/voig/ContentList/MMOGDATA/Charts/10.ViewChart?aLanguage=en-us

As you can see Eve is just about touching 125k subscriptions at the end of March, right under EQ2 which is considered a flop :P

Search around that site and compare it with other MMO's stats.  1 million subscribers is usually the milestone used to mark when a MMORPG hits the "big time".

Originally posted by LordSlater

Here you go:  http://mmogdata.voig.com/voig/ContentList/MMOGDATA/Charts/10.ViewChart?aLanguage=en-us

As you can see Eve is just about touching 125k subscriptions at the end of March, right under EQ2 which is considered a flop :P

Search around that site and compare it with other MMO's stats.  1 million subscribers is usually the milestone used to mark when a MMORPG hits the "big time".

Oops sorry my mistake its actually now at 210k now according to the devs a month ago.

-- Jean Rostand

• kjemperkjemper Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by jayheld90

1 million users, where did you get this figure, lol. last time i checked they had around 200k subs total.
    http://www.mmogchart.com/

I wish people would stop referencing that site.  It is over a year out of date.  The person hosting it stoped updating it and working on it.  Not to mention most his numbers are mere estimates.  Most companies do not give out their subscriber numbers.

• kjemperkjemper Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by blackcat35

Eve online isn't that much of an intellectual game.....buy low, sell high....

if Eve Online had so much intricate complication to it, people couldn't play it (mining, missioning), and watch TV, play other games, and anything else.
    The actual game play is throw a few things on a ship and go fly ship around.......press few buttons to fire weapons or afterburners.... 

Yes... if you go into EVE Online and buy low and sell high you will dominate the universe.  Why hasen't anyone else thought of this?!  I guess everything else in the game is pointless.  Just log in as soon as the server goes up in the morning, buy the trade goods low before anyone else and sell them high and you own the game.

/end sarcasm

Most people don't even know what transversial velocity means or what pupose it has in EVE.  It is one example of a small but crucial thing. 

Have you ever looked at the process to research blueprints?  Talk about patience...  Heck, lets not even get into the process of manufacturing Tech 2 BPOs after you finishing researching them.

I also love the comment about simply throwing on a few module to a ship and flying around.  That got me laughing.  There are only so many way to fit a ship that it is beyond counting.  Each character will have a different fit that is best for them depending on their skills too.  There is no such thing as "the one best ship and way."  It simply doesn't exist. 

Regardless, more people like you should play so those who actually understand the game can take advantage of it. 

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281

My personal rating of EVE Online:

Graphics - 5

Ship models look awesome untill you zoom in on them, then again you won't see them other then as a sized + sign, environment: very low diversity. Character is static jpg. No customization (paint jobs, logos etc) of ships or bases. As pretty as it looks at first sight as dissappointing it turns out to be later on. CCP is working on an update which should make the models and environments DX10. I would give this a lower score if it didnt give you that immersive feeling, which it does. Still overal subpar, lacking customization is huge imo.

Fun - 3

For a game that was advertised as grindless there sure is a lot of grinding mechanisms in place some masked as silly de;iberate timesinks, isk grinding, uncontrollable skill grinding, mission grinding, exploration, salvage; basicly all game elements include huge non fun timesinks/grinds. Trading and crafting part of the game is most likely it's strongest part. PvP is largely a numbers game (bring the largest fleet to win). PvP is dissappointing as well with figths lasting seconds and taking hours to get back into a ship, refit it and get back to the action and that is if you have the isk to do so. Death penalty is extremly harsh to the point of being able to loose skillpoints that cost you in the order of two weeks real life time to regain if you happen to forget to make a clone or your clone is outdated. On average a player plays for 7 months, which is very low for a mmorpg. The real fun is in the sandbox model and getting involved into player politics, that requires a lot of real life dedication to the game though and is only limited to the happy few. The overall slowness of the game and the ease of loosing stuff and time invested into the game combined with the fact that EvE's pvp boils down to hurting another player as bad as possible hopefully to the point of him being ruined and or quiting the game leaves me no other option then to give this a 3. 

Sound - 7

Some wierd sound related bugs especially in heavy load situations, but that falls more under performance lag. EvE Voice is pitifull and useless compared to Ventrilo. Music is nice. Game sounds are nice as well. Nothing spectacular but decent allround.

Community - 5

Griefers galore, gankers heaven, piss poor overall attitude, forum posting is seen as form of justified pvp. Nobody 100% trusts someone else. Testosteron levels are way over the top; male female ratio about 95-5. That said, average age is nice with lots of 30-ers playing the game. Corp (guild) will usually find a decent bit of community but the game just has poor grouping mechanisms and that shows especially in loot situations. Game promotes selfishness and that shows in the community. Would score a 4 for me if it werent that EvE is trully one world/server so there is only one community as a whole so one point added for that. 

Role-Playing - 8

Roleplaying really depends on your perception of what roleplaying is. The fact that player factions basicly control 0.0 and the huge amount of politics in the game say to me that roleplaying is an integral part of the game, it's not your typical out of character roleplaying but more roleplaying on the grandscale of things.

Performance/Lag - 5

Running on a high end machine the game still suffers from a lot of lag, mainly in graphics lag and in serversided lag. CCP acknowledges this and say they have their focus here on increasing overall performance. Would give it a 3 if it werent for the fact that CCP is putting in a lot of effort into fixing it as well as them having improved their patching process big time (patches used the to break the game completly guaranteed).

Value - 6

It's a true Sci-Fi MMORPG, Elite style, despite many of the broken mechanics it's definatly a refreshing breath in the MMORPG genre.

Service - 2

Worst service of any MMORPG I played, my accounts got double(!!!) charged for 3 months in a row, they only debited one month after I finally got a response to my appeal after 3 weeks (!!!). Reimbursement requests are not honored even if you provide them with all the proof you can including logfiles from your client and opponent players, with a very lame comment that they can't find any serversided evidence for it totally disregarding any proof you supply. That response then comes after 2 months, the 2 months waiting alone should justify the reimbursement. Granted them 1 point over an 1 for being them being nice at least.

Overall - 5.125

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

DrAtomic, while I sincerely respect your opinion (although I don't agree with all of it) - what do you mean by a 'too high testosterone level'  and what is wrong with male players outnumbering female players?

More female players don't necissarely make or break a community. I'd imagine EVE'd still be pretty much the same.

• ZippydoZippydo Member Posts: 4

I have to say it gets a big fat 0.  I downloaded and installed, created character, did tutorial.  After this during my first mission my ship froze near a stargate, repeating "approaching stargate" over and over.  I logged off and back on, was able to go through it finally.

Next, I went on my first non-tutorial newb mission to destroy a repair depot.  I went there, and when I clicked began firing on the station, the game crashed and in addition, RESTARTED BY COMPUTER!!   I logged back several times, and every time I clicked on the space station target, the same thing happened.  Great first impression....

Originally posted by Zippydo

I have to say it gets a big fat 0.  I downloaded and installed, created character, did tutorial.  After this during my first mission my ship froze near a stargate, repeating "approaching stargate" over and over.  I logged off and back on, was able to go through it finally.
    Next, I went on my first non-tutorial newb mission to destroy a repair depot.  I went there, and when I clicked began firing on the station, the game crashed and in addition, RESTARTED BY COMPUTER!!   I logged back several times, and every time I clicked on the space station target, the same thing happened.  Great first impression....

Sounds like a problem with your computer this waht graphics card you got and how old is it?

-- Jean Rostand

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Zippydo
    I have to say it gets a big fat 0. I downloaded and installed, created character, did tutorial. After this during my first mission my ship froze near a stargate, repeating "approaching stargate" over and over. I logged off and back on, was able to go through it finally.
    Next, I went on my first non-tutorial newb mission to destroy a repair depot. I went there, and when I clicked began firing on the station, the game crashed and in addition, RESTARTED BY COMPUTER!! I logged back several times, and every time I clicked on the space station target, the same thing happened. Great first impression....

Ouch. Sounds bad.

Server hiccup is never nice, especially when you play a game for the first time. The restart thing though would be worth bug reporting. Never in the 3.5 years of playing EVE I had that kind of problem, and sad to see you apparantly had.

As for my rating of EVE I would give it a 1 to 16, averaging aout around 7.5 to 8. Sometimes I hate the game, and sometimes I jus love it. CCP definitely needs to work on the technical side of EVE, and that very fast. The main problem is that the game is more and more geared toward large allainces, but the server simply is not able to handle larger fights very well. It tarnishes the memory of a fight when the most memorizable thing you recall is the fact that your modules needed several minutes to half an hour to even activate. One reason why I avoid such slugfests.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

8 out of 10 i rekkon..

The game is awesome... the only let down is the starting out missions and the fact the you have to spend a lot of time playing it.. no casual play really...

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

6 or perhaps 7.

I actually play it now, the only game I am subbing to.

Laid back and relaxing casual play as in missions and mining and trading or whatever, and quite some fun in PvP allthough that aint my thing really.

Howver it needs a LOT of tweaking, both the engine and the net code is horrible allthough steadily increasing in performance.

Keep in mind that this was started up by 3 "noobs" + 1 financer way back and it still is one of the great success storys of MMO gaming.

I hate the interface, the log resets each time you change location and there is no way of determining damage type, ( aside from visual ).

One of the greatest game concepts ever, with perhaps not the most skilled people running it, sadly.

EVE + EnB though would be the most aweseome thing ever, and I hear it is coming,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• PjotrPjotr Member Posts: 7

I would give EVE a 8.5. I like the graphics, the music, the community. I also like how deep the crafting system is and also the deep player run economy. There are some things that don't make this game a 9 or a 10. The overall performance of the client and server could be better, I hope that with their Need For Speed initiative they will make this better. Also the daily maintenance is very irritating, I know there are a lot of MMORPG that have this, but there are also MMORPG that don't have daily maintenance and manage to keep their server up for weeks.

What EVE also misses (or al least I haven't found it) are good team based missions from NPC. They have a very good squad and wing system. I would love if this would be put to some good use to make some big missions (like big raids in other mmorpg).