Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play LOTR Online?

Ever since I quit WoW about 4 months ago ive been looking for a new and fresh MMO to play. Ive been looking at LOTR cause alot of the Reviews have been good and it does look very good. But I have also heard that its basically WoW with LOTR slapped onto it. What I am trying to say is I want alot of details on this game and why I should play it over other MMO's, If im gonna shell out 50$ I want it to be a game I can enjoy for a long time.

~BobafettBH

(and yes before anyone ask's I used to play SWG before they screwed it up)

Comments

• KhaunsharKhaunshar Member UncommonPosts: 349

If you play more than 3-4h per day, you ll hit the content cap pretty soon. I just cancelled my subscription because for now, I am done with the game, as there isnt much to do. I ll wait and see in half a year or so, when a few new content patches came around for another month of playing.

Also, its extremely simplistic and easy. Its easier than WoW, and less involved in terms of character customization (theres very little, both from a graphical and a gameplay point of view), so if thats your thing, go ahead.

It is severely lacking in anything remotely challenging though, so be warned. If you like a bit of risk and tactics required, this is not for you.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Depends on if you're a hungry power leveler or casual gamer. For me I am enjoying it coz I mostly play only 2-3 hours a night and only 3-4 days a week. If you play 7 days a week at 4-5 hours I think you will run out of content to do (the game is after all only about 3 months old) if you remember  WoW it took Blizzard about 4 months to release it's first raid content "Molten Core". Even if you hit 50 there are a ton of things you can do like grind for your deeds and explore places. Right now the first major content and raid upgrade is out -- 24 man raid Helegrod and the Shores of Evendim. Some people are crying about being bored probably because LOTRO doesn't have too much stuff that requires insane grind to achieve. Also note that Turbine is still balancing the classes and content and is adding new content at a fairly regular rate (about 1-2 minor patch and bug fixes per month and 1 major content upgrade every other month)

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Originally posted by Khaunshar

If you play more than 3-4h per day, you ll hit the content cap pretty soon. I just cancelled my subscription because for now, I am done with the game, as there isnt much to do. I ll wait and see in half a year or so, when a few new content patches came around for another month of playing.

Also, its extremely simplistic and easy. Its easier than WoW, and less involved in terms of character customization (theres very little, both from a graphical and a gameplay point of view), so if thats your thing, go ahead.
    It is severely lacking in anything remotely challenging though, so be warned. If you like a bit of risk and tactics required, this is not for you.
    If you look up Khaunshar here... you'll see he by the other thread he started, he is a fan of Vanguard.

So keep that in mind when reading his opinion of LOTRO.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

MasterchiefM I felt the same way that you do mate, I stopped playing wow about 6 months ago, at first I was ok with it, was playing some single player stuff, going to school hanging out with friends and doing rl stuff which is fun. Than I wanted to get back into the genre, something about MMOs I like them and they are different from single player games. I played LotR when it was in beta phase, and i stopped playing after I was level 3, the reason was because the first few quests were very similar to wow, like go kill x wolves or gather y ammount of berries etc. Months went by and i figured id give lotr another chance, so I did and now im a lvl 22 hunter, I have only been playing about 3 weeks or so. I was on vacation last week and am a very casual player now and I do enjoy lotr alot. The people are nice, and there are alot of quests that require you to be in a group and the quests are pretty fun. I'm a big fan of the epic quests which is the story line of the game.

Like some people said if you are a powerleveler I dont think you will enjoy this game, lotr is more of a laid back game, and at the same time its pretty new and has alot of potential. Lotr and wow do have their similarities, they both have alot of quests but lotr doesnt have many instances, the instances are part of quests. I played wow for almost 3 years as a hardcore pve'er and some pvp and I am enjoying lotr because it is different from wow. In order to get the most out of LotR is to be social, like to be grouped, and wanting to be part of a guild. If you just want to solo stuff and not do any quests to level you will get bored before you know it and you will come in this site and post garbage about how the game sucks because you got burned out, well doh!

Another thing that I like about this game is my proffesion, my main proffesion is Woodworking, and I have made two bows which have been upgrades for my toon, I like that. I like that I can craft stuff that I can sell in the trade channel or stuff that is upgrades to me, one thing I do love is crafting, and even though this game may not have the best crafting I am having fun with it, and its nice to know that the stuff you craft isnt just vendor garbage.

If you are the explorer type, or the person who likes quests, or the person who likes to socialize and be casual I think you will like lotr. If you have a big epeen and are in it for the ego, you may not.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

I like the tradeskill in this game too. I am a farmer + cook and enjoyed making my own food which actually helps a ton with increase regeneration (surviving tough fights). Making your own food is a lot better than buying the npc sold ones as it provides better nourishment (stats + regen) and cheap too.

• j_shep85j_shep85 Member Posts: 7

If theres a free trial what you got to lose?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Khaunshar

If you play more than 3-4h per day, you ll hit the content cap pretty soon.

figure about 17 to 18 days of play time or about 408 hours. At 4 hours per day that is about 100 days give or taker a bit if you average 4 hours per day. Roughly a bit longer than it takes to go from 0-60 in WoW.

I miss DAoC

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by MasterchiefM

Ever since I quit WoW about 4 months ago ive been looking for a new and fresh MMO to play. Ive been looking at LOTR cause alot of the Reviews have been good and it does look very good. But I have also heard that its basically WoW with LOTR slapped onto it. What I am trying to say is I want alot of details on this game and why I should play it over other MMO's, If im gonna shell out 50$ I want it to be a game I can enjoy for a long time.

~BobafettBH

(and yes before anyone ask's I used to play SWG before they screwed it up)

Hmm.... literally dozens of posts in these forums outlining the games good and bad points...but you want lots of details...

You played WOW, but didn't mention whether you enjoyed it, how far you got, why you left, or what you like in an MMORPG?

You want to enjoy this game for a long time, but don't say how much you play or whether you enjoy activities like crafting and the like...

No, can't see a way to really provide you with the information you seek.....  see if someone still has a trial key and is willing to share it with you is all that I can advise....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MasterchiefMMasterchiefM Member Posts: 99

Sorry I should've been a little more specific, I will give some more details and hopefully I can find out if this game is for me:

I played WoW for 2 years and quit about 4 months ago because I got tired of the content and the expansion also killed the fun I used to have with it. To me it felt like playing a re-done version of WoW.

I am a casual/hardcore gamer. If I am feeling the need I am known to play MMO's for a good 5 to 8 hrs. But I am by no means a power grinder, when I played WoW I took my time in leveling and enjoyed other aspects of the game besides just hitting 70 asap.

The one thing I enjoy about MMO's is the PvE aspect, I have never been a big fan of PvP but I do PvP from time to time if its worth it, or if its fun. Ive played dozens of MMO's and some with no PvP whatsoever and I enjoyed them to the extent that there was stuff to do besides grind and PvP.

hopefully I can get the run down with the information given.

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Like I said in my above post I am pretty sure that you will like the game given the info you just provided us with. Lotr like wow is pve based, and they have done a good job on building the pve aspect of the game. I think you will enjoy leveling, meeting new people and such and if you like to roleplay sometimes or all the time you will enjoy that too.

If you can get a buddy key of someone and get your hands on the game before you buy it that would be better for you, but if you cant I am sure you will like it.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).