Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 3rd time a charm?

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I've tried EvE twice now, and found it interesting, but extremely boring in the begining.

But I read great things from the hardcore players, and I keep finding myself interested again...

My question is:

How long do you have to play before the game get's good?

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Depends on what you want to do.

Eve is completely open ended, you can be anything... and that scares a lot of people off. Most games tell you where to go whats good, whats bad etc.

Eve doesnt.

You can be effective in any of the "jobs" fairly quickly, but your effectiveness is more in a helping role or less effective roll.

As a pvp'er you can lock someone down so that someone else can do the dmg, however you wouldnt be doing a tone of dmg, or be able to take dmg well.

As a miner you could make 6 million an hour... later 60...

etc etc.

Id recommend finding a corporation to get in with and one with 0.0 access. Get them to show you the ropes and learn the aspects of the game. Find what you enjoy and then specialize.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Lustmord

I've tried EvE twice now, and found it interesting, but extremely boring in the begining.

But I read great things from the hardcore players, and I keep finding myself interested again...

My question is:

It really depends on the person.  Some people will never enjoy EVE.  It's not their fault... EVE is just NOT a game that every player will enjoy.  Some people prefer the more scripted feel that WoW, LotRO, EQ2 etc... give them.  EVE isn't like that.  There's not really a story to follow.  There's no clear cut 'goals' for players to achieve.  There are no 'quests' to accomplish. There are missions and a few very brief story arcs for players to enjoy but for the most part EVE is about the interaction between other players in a virtual sandbox.

We have the tools and the ability to learn skills to allow us to build empires.  Every player does.  Players form corporations.  Corporations form alliances and alliances seek to control territory and spread their power and eventually form interstellar empires.  Other players seek to become economic superpowers.  Some try both.  In the end EVE is about the interaction amongst the players.  If all you ever do is solo and do missions you might have fun for a while but it will usually end up being boring unless you're one of those folks who likes to 'achieve' a 'goal' of reaching a certain ship, etc.  But even then once you reach that goal the game will become stale to you unless you can set another goal to keep you occupied.

Most people will tell you, and I agree, that EVE can be fun in solo mode... but the real fun opens up once you join a player organization.  Especially a 0.0 Player organization.  Be picky though.  It can be hard to find the right corporation. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• ColMustardColMustard Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Taram

My question is:

It really depends on the person.  Some people will never enjoy EVE.  It's not their fault... EVE is just NOT a game that every player will enjoy.  Some people prefer the more scripted feel that WoW, LotRO, EQ2 etc... give them.  EVE isn't like that.  There's not really a story to follow.  There's no clear cut 'goals' for players to achieve.  There are no 'quests' to accomplish. There are missions and a few very brief story arcs for players to enjoy but for the most part EVE is about the interaction between other players in a virtual sandbox.

We have the tools and the ability to learn skills to allow us to build empires.  Every player does.  Players form corporations.  Corporations form alliances and alliances seek to control territory and spread their power and eventually form interstellar empires.  Other players seek to become economic superpowers.  Some try both.  In the end EVE is about the interaction amongst the players.  If all you ever do is solo and do missions you might have fun for a while but it will usually end up being boring unless you're one of those folks who likes to 'achieve' a 'goal' of reaching a certain ship, etc.  But even then once you reach that goal the game will become stale to you unless you can set another goal to keep you occupied.

Most people will tell you, and I agree, that EVE can be fun in solo mode... but the real fun opens up once you join a player organization.  Especially a 0.0 Player organization.  Be picky though.  It can be hard to find the right corporation. 

I'm actually downloading the trial version right now.  From what I've read about the game its what I want.  I want a wide open dangerous world and an in depth economy.  The thing I wanna ask.  Is the economy mine for resources or is there large scale trading empires and such involved?

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Just so you know what eve is is using a thieter as an exmple Eve is...

The stage - Represented by the galaxy of 5000 star systems.

The props - The plants stations stargates gear ships guns ammo etc.

The actors - The NPC factions, Other players.

The star actor - You.

The script - Non existant.

There is no plotline no story apart from the background one Its just you and everyone else playing with the props making your own story. EvE is a true sandbox game, a sandbox being where you can do more or less what you want witht he tools eve gives you.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I myself am on my 7th time back to the game. It's a really hard game to get into sometimes, you can't just join a group and run an instance, and dying means spending 2+ hours buying your ship back and getting all the necessary equipment, assuming you have the isk to begin with...

Think about it like this. Other MMORPGs are like a theme park. The rides are already created and all you have to do is get on them and experience them. They are a lot of fun, but after you've ridden it a few times, you tend to get tired of it. EVE is like someone giving you an empty lot, a ton of equipment, and an instruction manual, and tells you to build a theme park. It will take a lot of work to figure out how to place everything in the park, how the rides work, and setting everything up so that it runs smoothly. But the end result is that you built your -own- theme park, and you get to reap the benefits of your hard work.

• KvaserKvaser Member Posts: 84

Start pirating or join a pvp corp it's much fun! I almost regret quitting after the second time I came back to the game, so maybe third time is a charm  

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by ColMustard

Originally posted by Taram

My question is:

I'm actually downloading the trial version right now.  From what I've read about the game its what I want.  I want a wide open dangerous world and an in depth economy.  The thing I wanna ask.  Is the economy mine for resources or is there large scale trading empires and such involved?

Hmm well resources can be obtained any number of ways.  When you first start out you're pretty limited.  You will want to either mine or run missions to make some isk to get moving.  Your first step should be to finish the tutorial then talk to the agent you're sent to by the trainer agent.  Do their missions until you get the implant reward.  Then open the "info" on your 'diploma' for whichever race you are.  Go find the agent it talks about and do that story arc.  By the time you're done with all that you should be in a decent frigate or destroyer and have about 2-3 million isk in your hands. 

After that it's all up to you.  You can continue doing missons for either the agent you were referred to originally or you can find another agent you'd prefer working for.  Or you can mine to make isk that way.  With only 3 million isk you'll be hard pressed to try to enter the larger 'market' in the game at that point so you'll want to either do missions initially or mine initially.  I went with missions when I started out.  My wife went with mining.  Both can be very profitable.

Another key is to join a player corporation after you're done with the starter missions.

After that?  It's really up to you.  The resources are out there.  You can mine or buy minerals to make things with to sell or you can just sell the ore or you can sell refined minerals or you can buy items low in some places and sell them for a profit elsewhere.  Or you can just be a mission runner and sell the loot or melt it for minerals to make other things with (or to sell on the market directly).  Or you can learn to salvage and salvage wrecks from your missions or from the belts etc. 

Really there's so many things to do or try that it's impossible to list all the variations that you can do.  Some people make a living just hauling goods around for others...  Others, of course, make a living being pirates... however be warned that being a pirate is a lot of work.  It's not as easy as some will tell you, especially as a newer player.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell