Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Iffy about Guild warS?

bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283
Is anyone iffy about Guildwars? The graphics look sweet but with the no mountly fee will there be any updates? I heard that everything is free so no need to buy updates, also if you are in a fellow with someone with expantion then you can go to expantion areas. I will surely try this oneimage just a little iffy about the gameplay.....

Big Baller

Hype For Upcoming Games:
The Matrix Online ::::08::
EVER QUEST 2!!!!::::08::

Comments

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Updates are not free.  As far as going to expansion areas with someone who has it, Im not sure but I doubt it.  Why whould anyone buy it if you could just go with someone else?  By the way, the updates ARE the expansions.  This game SEEMS to be a FPS version of Diablo, I hope its not but thats what it was for the Demo.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

Sorry your wrong on that one, updates are automatic when you log on, you never know when there is one untill you see the new stuff.....you can go to the new expantion spots if someone has it but you cant pic up any items, expantions come out every 6-9mounths, the game is not a P2P, like every other mmorpg out there which make it good, insted of you kida like renting it with pay to play you buy the game, if you dont want to get cool items that your friends have then dont get expantions, I think this game will be great now, i heard that guilds can have guild halls or even their own town, and other guilds can raid the towns, Noice!::::28::

Big Baller

Hype For Upcoming Games:

• DaShizDaShiz Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by bballermc333
    Sorry your wrong on that one, updates are automatic when you log on, you never know when there is one untill you see the new stuff.....you can go to the new expantion spots if someone has it but you cant pic up any items, expantions come out every 6-9mounths, the game is not a P2P, like every other mmorpg out there which make it good, insted of you kida like renting it with pay to play you buy the game, if you dont want to get cool items that your friends have then dont get expantions, I think this game will be great now, i heard that guilds can have guild halls or even their own town, and other guilds can raid the towns, Noice!::::28::Big BallerHype For Upcoming Games:

You will not be able to goto the new places that were added from expansions with your friends who have the expansions if you don't have the expansion. You will still be able to meet in common areas such as the main city in the E3 for everyone event, but you will not be able to adventure to the new areas that were added. Expansions will also add new skills, abilities, items, professions, and has been rumored to possibly add new races as well. Also updates will be utilized mainly for patching bugs and fixing other glitches within the game, BUT will also be utilized for sponsored events, it wont be as if the quest map you goto will change each day.

Excerpt from Guild Wars Official FAQ:

Am I required to buy the expansion packs to continue to play Guild Wars?

No. Every purchase you make in the continuation of the Guild Wars saga will be your choice. If you purchase expansion packs you will gain access to new regions of the world, new skills and abilities, new items, new professions, and much more. However, if you choose to not purchase a chapter, you will still be able to play the chapters of Guild Wars that you own, and you will have common areas in which you will be able to play with and against your friends who have purchased the other chapter(s).

Will I remain competitive if I do not buy the expansion packs? Will I be able to compete with and against others if I have only some of the Guild Wars chapters?

Yes. Purchasing the newer chapters of Guild Wars will not make you strictly more powerful. You will have access to many more strategic options, due to the expanding nature of the skills, abilities, items and professions that you enjoy with each chapter. It would be similar to building a deck in Magic: The Gathering™: The more cards you own, the more different playing decks that you can choose from to use in the game. When you buy the chapters of Guild Wars, you will acquire a larger collection of skills and abilities from which to build your skill set, but you will not gain more power. So if you purchase a chapter and your friend does not, you will still be able to play competitively against and with one another.

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Thx DaShiz, I thought I was right.  I remember reading that.  In Horizons you can build your own guild halls, houses and towns and they are attacked by undead armies.  Its pretty cool.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------

• DrakaeonDrakaeon Member Posts: 630

This game looks like exactly what I have been waiting for. I know it is not a traditional MMORPG, but it seems to have good concepts. Not to mention the basis of the game is PvP, which I love.

And I don't think this is iffy. The Guild Wars team says they will update as frequently as they can.

::shrugs::

I'm getting it.

Waiting for Guild Wars XD

Well DaShiz, my friend was an alpha tester and told me that every time he made a character the starting mission was different, never the same, either different area(woods, mountains, swapmy, etc.) or different monsters or different loot, so the quest map does kinda change each day, one of you clanmates might have gone on a quest that has changed location or gives new loot, image

Big Baller

Hype For Upcoming Games:

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Well yeah you knwo from what I here in GW the zones are instanced....

so wouldn't the zones usually look different and all....rather its monsters...loot...or area???

so I mean I just don't understanf the argument much here.....idk...i may just be ocnfused

Uilwen

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• RosssRosss Member Posts: 8

You seem confused, let me try to explain. Patching is seemless and free, they fix or change something and it automatically streams to your computer as you log on/enter an area. They will want to keep the game bug free and updated as much as possible so people will want to buy the expansion packs. Expansion packs are not free, you will pay for a lot of new and good content, I imagine once you've paid for the expansion pack (be it online or from a shop), the new areas will be unlocked and you will be able stream in the content when you visit the areas.

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

The 3 long years of playing mainly diablo and Warcraft only testing short time on real MMO's from friends places my 1 wish was that games of the MMORPG class didn't require credit cards thus my dreams of playing my fav type of genre were too far for me to reach.

Then came guild wars , my dream game as it has all the elements of a game i ever wanted to play and best of all its gonna be free , although im now old enough and have my own credit card its still nice that i don't have to use it since im not made of money or anything like that

Best of all if i do decide to pay to play then in the end im gonna have to 2 types of games i always wanted to play for the price of 1,  a diablo type fully 3D MMO ( Guild Wars ) and a Warcraft MMO ( WoW ) although i gues my time will be dominated by GW but at least i only have to pay for 1 of the games so i have the option now of endless hours of gameplay to choose from. image

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• TiberiuxTiberiux Member Posts: 90

Completely agree with the above poster.

• Deadaye13Deadaye13 Member Posts: 106
    I'm not "iffy" here.  This is the game that will rule all other MMORPGs.  This game has no level grinding (YES!!!!), crafting, strategic PvP (not mindless PvP where I hit you then you hit me; I kill you then I find another guy to kill), instant zones (which means 0 lag), and great graphic and all around great gameplay.  Once people know what this game is and will be capable of, this'll be the best MMORPG around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    Achiever 86%
    Killer 80%
    Explorer 26%
    Socializer 6%

• NuxtorNuxtor Member UncommonPosts: 41

The reason why Areanet can "patch" is due to their advanced streaming technology. The game can accualy download the "patch" or the new file while you are playing without any form of interuption.

Originally posted by Deadaye13
    I'm not "iffy" here. This is the game that will rule all other MMORPGs. This game has no level grinding (YES!!!!), crafting, strategic PvP (not mindless PvP where I hit you then you hit me; I kill you then I find another guy to kill), instant zones (which means 0 lag), and great graphic and all around great gameplay. Once people know what this game is and will be capable of, this'll be the best MMORPG around.----------------------------------------------------------------------------All Your Base Are Belong To Us

I agree that this game will excel beyond many of critics beliefs, but your reasons why it is a great game have downfalls that you need to understand and not judge them for face value. No level grinding is not a great thing, and level grinding wont be completely absent from this game. Haveing to "grind" through levels provides many things from time to form understanding of the games strategic styles to createing a path to consume the games content. There are many many many more reasons why it is there, but I will say that too much of anything is bad, and in most mmo's out today the "grind" is pushing the limits of unbearable.

Well in PvP you are always trying to kill the other guy and move on to find another guy to kill, otherwise what else would you do after you kill the first guy? Just messin with ya, I know what your trying to say, but you need to elaborate a little more before some of the critics come in and flame you! Instanced zones don't create 0 lag, but are a gigantic relief from haveing to render 80+ character models that are controled independently. I would write more, but gotta go.

Also, bballermc333, of course loot from the same monster won't be the same each time you kill it, most games don't have a exact set loot drop per monster, but are more of a set of different loot that will drop at random amounts or random types. this is in a sense makeing a set pattern, but appears to be random to most players and partly is. Your friend was probably playing the E3 for everyone event, and when you completed a quest area, you automaticly traveled to the next quest area that was different from the last, because you were progressing through an essential "story". This would make it appear that each time you started a mission the whole enviroment changed, because... it did! because you moved onto the next area. Probably different classes will have different starting areas, but no one can tell at this point.

• GaurdianKingGaurdianKing Member Posts: 338

Can someone explian what they mean by level grinding. Because the way I understand it, level grinding is when you have to kill mob's to gain a level. I beleave Guild Ware does do this and that the only difference is that the time taken to level is significantly shorter. Also If I recal, there are not many spells to speak of and the combinations used are not very many.

Grafics is seemingly the biggest thing and the gameplay used. Well I can only see short term injoyment as after you have done all thows combinations, just like the cap in the every mmorpg game it comes down to what you can do after. The storyline does not really differ from many other as you simply have to clense the land of evil. Alpha's are complaining about the pvp and the fact it does have major faults in because the style of game play. I guess it's because it is still in the alpha stages so it is an excuse. So please tell me how they will fix this quick start thing as then it will have to relay on it's new originalty. I am assuming there will be new quests added monthly or weekly, or maybe new items, even a new attachment to the story line maybe. Diablo did it by adding 3 new classes which were a huge sucsess. But like alot of people said while playing it, it was simply repetative, point and click game where you came back to it every month or so after not playing. Hardcore gamers sold rare items on ebay for sport. Others were heavily into friend gameing a dueling. So I will assume this is what will happen until another perosn gives me more option on what I beleave or corrects the beleaf.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Level grinding would be sitting in one spot, and killing the same mob(s) over, and over, and over, etc. Like in EQ, people would find a spawn that was easy to kill, but still gave good xp, then sit and kill those mobs until they stopped getting decent xp, then they would move to a higher version of the same camp, rinse, repeat.

While I look forward to the game after playing the E3 demo, I fear one thing. Kids. I've seen alot of people saying WoW will draw alot of kids because of Blizzards connection to b.net. Well, as WoW will probably run $15 a month like most of the current MMOs, and GW will be free, where do you think most of the speds, and savage little heathens are going to go?

-------
    They panic, so... just hold them down
    I could live like this
    I'm closing in; hate all around
    I could be like this
    Hearing them; them in my head
    How can they be so sweet... sweet?

Basically the key difference is that in GW leveling is not a GRIND. You don't have to kill the same mobs over and over in the same place.

In GW you adventure, and as you adventure you gain levels.

Getting specifit items upgraded might be a different thing though.

But basically you play the game, you have fun, you level.

Level isn't your primary goal unlike other MMORPGS

For PVP only buffs, Levelling will be a priority, but of course, the cap is low, so everyone can catch up fast.

Item grind might be problem though

• xzantamwulfxzantamwulf Member UncommonPosts: 121

im not iffy what so ever bout guild Wars in fact I vant Wait im so Pissed off Cause I wanna play couldnt make it to Alpha in time Thoughimage

So I saved Up my money and I already Pre-ordered it im real hyped in fact im going to take a day off school and play all damn day when it does come out GW is most definetly gonna be the next big thing.

As long as it breathes and its not one of me it should most definetly flee.

Reseistance is futile join Thieves of the symbolic shadow now
    http://www.freewebs.com.symbolicshadow

Tiger>That is quiet resonable, so it will end up as a verion of diablo without the many skills but more quest based. How ever the basis of the first question was not answered. The level grind can still happen, unless all area's of the quest world in the game is instance area's where the mob's randomly spawn. So level grinding is still aplicable but does not mean as much from what I understand.

Also about the craft system, there is not much information I could gather fro the customer supourt or home page. Most of my information regarding this section comes from forums and alpha players statment so please alaberate. What is so good about the craft system and what does it intale. Other people in the board here have said that GW will have a large tech and that it will be better than wow. How do they know this and what do they know.

Also, how is the updates carried out, does anyone know, as the guy upsataires said, the game is free there for more kids will have easy access. Then again my main point is the updates that come with the game there after. Does anyone know the details. Will the upgrades be like the diablo2 expation pack with new classes and quests and so on. Also from what people have said here, it sounds like you have to pay constanlty anyway. Erlier another post said that you will have to pay to upgrade. or it may have been a assumtion or hypothisis.

image Woosa, I am all carm, asked my questions with out swearing. image Wooosa, no one made any bad coments on a game I like. Ahhhh I feel easy and laid back all of a suden.

P.s, please sugest how I should respond to people that stupidly say one game is better than another with no explaination and just start insulting a game they may have never played. Because I am at my wits end in the matter and have lost my temper many times about it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• Rampage101Rampage101 Member Posts: 50
    I think what your guy's are saying is this: updates are free. But expentions are not. 

Mess with the best. DIE like the rest!!

Me kill you good...

I reread parts of the begining, the updates I assume will be only technical faults, the actaul games upgrades willl come in the expansions. Games unbalanced sides will not be fixed eithier from the faq's explianation in the updates, they will have to fix them in the beta and the expansions.

Originally posted by GaurdianKing
    I reread parts of the begining, the updates I assume will be only technical faults, the actaul games upgrades willl come in the expansions. Games unbalanced sides will not be fixed eithier from the faq's explianation in the updates, they will have to fix them in the beta and the expansions.

I can understand why you would think that they would be unable to fix unbalances and as well bugs through updates and would be forced to do it through expansions, but that is truely now how it works.  Updates are the same things as patches in a sense, the only difference with this game is that it is seemless, so you dont have to wait for the patch to download to start playing.  Obviously there may be some critical bugs that have to do with the graphics engine or base game mechanic that will force you to restart the program, but I'm sure they will attempt to keep those few and far between.

[quote]Originally posted by DaShiz
    [b]

Originally posted by Deadaye13
    I'm not "iffy" here. This is the game that will rule all other MMORPGs. This game has no level grinding (YES!!!!), crafting, strategic PvP (not mindless PvP where I hit you then you hit me; I kill you then I find another guy to kill), instant zones (which means 0 lag), and great graphic and all around great gameplay. Once people know what this game is and will be capable of, this'll be the best MMORPG around.----------------------------------------------------------------------------All Your Base Are Belong To Us

I agree that this game will excel beyond many of critics beliefs, but your reasons why it is a great game have downfalls that you need to understand and not judge them for face value. No level grinding is not a great thing, and level grinding wont be completely absent from this game. Haveing to "grind" through levels provides many things from time to form understanding of the games strategic styles to createing a path to consume the games content. There are many many many more reasons why it is there, but I will say that too much of anything is bad, and in most mmo's out today the "grind" is pushing the limits of unbearable.

[/quote]

Well DaShiz there really is no need for level grinding, as a matter of fact there really in no need to level at all, well there is but theres not a big difference between a level 50 and a level 30 character, the level 50 might have more skills, better armor, betterweapon, but thats just because of the amount of money he makes, if there is a level 50 that is very poor and has terrible armor/ weapon/ even a gimped out class mix they can easly be killed by a lvl 30, now im glad, i hated the fact in other games that a lvl 200 or 126 can bash a lvl 100-110, on top of that great fact, you get to challange 8 people you want, unless a tourny, so you wont have to fight people way beyond your level ::::17:: BE COOL< STAY IN SCHOOL > ::::17::

Guild Wars.........

Originally posted by GaurdianKing
    Can someone explian what they mean by level grinding. Because the way I understand it, level grinding is when you have to kill mob's to gain a level. I beleave Guild Ware does do this and that the only difference is that the time taken to level is significantly shorter. Also If I recal, there are not many spells to speak of and the combinations used are not very many.
    Grafics is seemingly the biggest thing and the gameplay used. Well I can only see short term injoyment as after you have done all thows combinations, just like the cap in the every mmorpg game it comes down to what you can do after. The storyline does not really differ from many other as you simply have to clense the land of evil. Alpha's are complaining about the pvp and the fact it does have major faults in because the style of game play. I guess it's because it is still in the alpha stages so it is an excuse. So please tell me how they will fix this quick start thing as then it will have to relay on it's new originalty. I am assuming there will be new quests added monthly or weekly, or maybe new items, even a new attachment to the story line maybe. Diablo did it by adding 3 new classes which were a huge sucsess. But like alot of people said while playing it, it was simply repetative, point and click game where you came back to it every month or so after not playing. Hardcore gamers sold rare items on ebay for sport. Others were heavily into friend gameing a dueling. So I will assume this is what will happen until another perosn gives me more option on what I beleave or corrects the beleaf.J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

You should do some more research, there are about id say 20 spells per class, the games in alpha, so with 6 classes that would make 120 spells, and with the ability to combine 2 classes that means you get 40 spells, the quick tab bar olny holds like 9, and again this is only alpha, Do the math, guild wars is more of a game were you play against other players in 2 ways, 1 missions, 2 PvP, IMHO this game will be one of the best, but i hate to say it, the last 2 games i was looking foward to sucked, (CoH and SWG) im hoping this game will be great and by the way it was made it looks sweet, I just hope the time taking to get skills isnt as long as SWG. I havent heard much complaints in PvP other then its great and they hope to see Bigger areas that can hold 30v30 or 50vs50, with and expantion every 6mounths, setting out new classes, weapons, areas, armor, etc i dont see how anyone can get tired of the game........again do your reaserch, hey i mean i could care less about grinding, but once i heard from an alpha on how guilds can have towns or halls and other guilds could siege for it i knew this game was for me...::::31::

Guild Wars.........

I just looked back to the sheets i printed and i see not that its more like 25-30 per class, Also about all the people saying how bad its gonna be with all the kids, i see no problem, im 19, but my little brother is 14 and he plays mmorpgs and is repsected, no one can tell the difference, i realize that some kids can get annoying with the non stop questions and all, but if i were you id just tell them to fu*k off ::::23::

Guild Wars.........

To answe some of your questions:

-----Tiger>That is quiet resonable, so it will end up as a verion of diablo without the many skills but more quest based.

Don't know how many skills diablo had, but GW will have about 400+ initially, of which you can choose 8 at any one time.

Quite quest based. Not sure how much compard to Diablo though.

-------- How ever the basis of the first question was not answered. The level grind can still happen, unless all area's of the quest world in the game is instance area's where the mob's randomly spawn.

Mob's don't randomly spawn in Guild Wars. At least not in the Alpha we all played. Level grind cannot happen, unless you intentionally level grind which I don't think anyone will choose to do over playing the fun quests and exploring the open areas.

-----------So level grinding is still aplicable but does not mean as much from what I understand.

No. There is no level grind - period. At least not from what I saw.

---------Also about the craft system, there is not much information I could gather fro the customer supourt or home page. Most of my information regarding this section comes from forums and alpha players statment so please alaberate. What is so good about the craft system and what does it intale.

There is a very limited crafting system. All crafting is done by NPC shops. You bring them parts and gold, and they upgarde your stuff. No need to waste time crafting. If you're looking for a game to grind away crafting items to get your craft skill up so you can grind some more, look elsewhere.

------------Other people in the board here have said that GW will have a large tech and that it will be better than wow. How do they know this and what do they know.

Not sure what you mean by tech. If you are referring to Skill Tree, then no, GW skill tree is very very simple.

Since Guild Wars is more skill based, it's not about how many thousands of hours you've poured into the game, but how well you play that will decide the outcome of a PVP battle. And keep in mind GW is fun to explore and play, but the focus is on PVP.

----------Also, how is the updates carried out, does anyone know, as the guy upsataires said, the game is free there for more kids will have easy access. Then again my main point is the updates that come with the game there after. Does anyone know the details. Will the upgrades be like the diablo2 expation pack with new classes and quests and so on. Also from what people have said here, it sounds like you have to pay constanlty anyway. Erlier another post said that you will have to pay to upgrade. or it may have been a assumtion or hypothisis.

You purchase the game in the store. Approx cost = same as most other games.
    There are no monthly fees to play GW (unlike WOW).
    Patches are free and the technology used to apply them is the best for any online game ever made to date.
    Updates will be released after 4-6 months which will have lots of new content, areas, skills etc and willl cost money to buy (30-50 bucks).

Updates are completely optional, and you will still be able to play GW if you don't purchase the updates. And keep in mind there will only be a few updates a year anyways.

----------P.s, please sugest how I should respond to people that stupidly say one game is better than another with no explaination and just start insulting a game they may have never played. Because I am at my wits end in the matter and have lost my temper many times about it.

People are entitled to any opinion of a game they may choose to have. People are only saying what game they prefer. Some, as myself venture on to say which game could be more popular and why.