Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you personaly rate EVE 1-10

thehero1000thehero1000 Member Posts: 12

first i give it a 7 out of ten, it would have been higher but the combat interface was too simple. I guess some people like simplicty but i don't. i dont like that when your fighting someone they can warp off so fast. mining takes awhile i remember just waiting the for 4-6 mins to get minerals or what ever there called.

now the things i liked about EVE first how complex the game is i mean the turtorial toke me an hour and a half to complete. the graphic were great i mean easly 20,000-30,000 polys per ship. lastly the size of the map its huge EVE has ove 1milllon users and more than 20,000 users on at any given time and i would only see 1 person every 5-10 mins.  this is why i like EVE how about you?

Edit:sorry i thought EVE had 1 millon user one of my friends told me that

The Hero 1000

Comments

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

1 million users, where did you get this figure, lol. last time i checked they had around 200k subs total.

http://www.mmogchart.com/

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

I think the number of subscriptions is around 600-700K. Usually there's about 20,000 players logged on simultaneously.

It's hard to really rate EVE. On one hand, you have the MMORPGs that have all the content provided for you and you just go through it, like going through a theme park. EVE is a game where you have to build the theme park yourself. If you don't have the patience to sit down and figure out how the various parts connect together, then obviously it won't be very fun. But if you do, the payoff is much greater than simply enjoying the rides.

Combat is deceptively simple, but is much more complex than it seems. Most of the brainwork is done before combat even begins, when you pick your ship loadout, but during combat you also have to worry about things like cap usage, optimal range, and radial velocity.

• basroilbasroil Member Posts: 48

I would give it a six.  Although I like the sandbox feel of the game, I think that is fairly easy to achieve, the problem is putting content into the sandbox.  In terms of player run content as in pvp, player bases etc EVE is great.  However the npc content, missions and so forth are badly planned and poorly implemented imo.  Most are simple fair fly here blow that up, deliver this, and require LOTS of travel time, and few are of any interest.  I think this game could of dramatically improved its subscription base by keeping the sandbox player-run feel of the game as is; but dramatically improving the npc content.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I just played it for 12 of the 14 trial days. I went 10 days loving the atmosphere, sound and graphics more than anything I have ever played. I still feel that way but the game became boring sometime in the last 2 days. I am most likely not going to buy it.

I rate it an 8.2 for creativity, environment, depth, audio, visuals, community and support and the -1.8 for lack of exciting combat, over-penalizing of death and the lack of all-around fun factor.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

7/10

fix the fucked up /broken 0.0 alliance warfare concept  and it would be an 8/10  (no more boring POS warfare !)

Add avatars, station/planet exploration and joystick combat to it and it would be a 9/10  (aka the good stuff from SWG added to EVE)

Have fun

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

I just played it for 12 of the 14 trial days. I went 10 days loving the atmosphere, sound and graphics more than anything I have ever played. I still feel that way but the game became boring sometime in the last 2 days. I am most likely not going to buy it.

I rate it an 8.2 for creativity, environment, depth, audio, visuals, community and support and the -1.8 for lack of exciting combat, over-penalizing of death and the lack of all-around fun factor.
    Hmm, let me try to sort this out a little for you based on my slight experience in EVE along with the things I have read.
    • Exciting Combat

The most exciting time I have ever had, like adrenaline pumping, hand shaking, nervous as hell excitment, in ANY game -- was the times I was cruising around low sec or 0.0 as a noob in my Kestrel.  Watching local pop, looking up their info and as you are reading they warp in on top of you and you either a) engage, b) run! or c) get blown to bits(apparently c was my favorite choice).  It might not have that same affect on everyone but it sure did for me.  Fun times.

• Over-Penalizing of Death

One of the favorite sayings of any EVE veteran is, "If you can't afford to lose it, don't fly it."  Very weill said and very true in this game.  The death penalty is by far the steepest that *I* have seen in any game but that, for me, adds to the excitment.  Just finally got those badass tech 2 launchers and I'm all tech 2 mod'ed up and I head out to do some damage...  WHAM, piwate makes me go pop...  I cry and then tuck tail(pod) and head back to start saving up again.  Do my best to learn from what I screwed up and make damn sure to not do something that stupid again.  Dying in this game sucks which is part of the draw for me, it makes you actually have to use your brain when engaging in combat.  It's not just some silly annoying run back to your corpse or a few gold worth of durability loss...

• Lack of All-Around Fun Factor

This was my biggest road block as well.  After a few months I got bored.  I was never able to convince any of my real-life friends to play and I never joined a Corporation.  If I had it to do over again I would join EVE-University, or similar corp, ASAP.  As I understand it, the fun factor in EVE increases exponentially if/when you can find a FUN Corporation to be involved in. 

That's all I've got.  You may ask, "Well, how come you aren't f'ing playing EVE then?"  Read around and the only, ONLY reason I'm not playing is my woman.  She doesn't like it but she likes WoW.  Makes no sense for us to be sitting next to each-other playing different games.  It makes me cry at night...  

gl hf

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Ranma13

I think the number of subscriptions is around 600-700K. Usually there's about 20,000 players logged on simultaneously.

It's hard to really rate EVE. On one hand, you have the MMORPGs that have all the content provided for you and you just go through it, like going through a theme park. EVE is a game where you have to build the theme park yourself. If you don't have the patience to sit down and figure out how the various parts connect together, then obviously it won't be very fun. But if you do, the payoff is much greater than simply enjoying the rides.

Combat is deceptively simple, but is much more complex than it seems. Most of the brainwork is done before combat even begins, when you pick your ship loadout, but during combat you also have to worry about things like cap usage, optimal range, and radial velocity.

Before you go on further on that thought, go to the EVE site. Last time I checked around a month ago, it was 210k subs. 20k at any given time is true.

In terms of rating EVE, just rate it to satisfy your opinions about the game. I'll give it an 8 for sure.

• XiticiXXiticiX Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by thehero1000

first i give it a 7 out of ten, it would have been higher but the combat interface was too simple. I guess some people like simplicty but i don't. i dont like that when your fighting someone they can warp off so fast. mining takes awhile i remember just waiting the for 4-6 mins to get minerals or what ever there called.
    now the things i liked about EVE first how complex the game is i mean the turtorial toke me an hour and a half to complete. the graphic were great i mean easly 20,000-30,000 polys per ship. lastly the size of the map its huge EVE has ove 1milllon users and more than 20,000 users on at any given time and i would only see 1 person every 5-10 mins.  this is why i like EVE how about you?

Warp Disruptors.  Love them.  Use them.

I give it an 8.  No other MMORPG has held my interest for more than a month of play.  And I've tried most of them.

Eve Online is an intellectual game - It's not soething you can mindlessly play.  That said, it doesn't take a TON of training to do anything either. 

My suggestion is JOIN A CORPORATION RIGHT AWAY!  Don't slog around in empire mining or killing useless rats for the first 3 months of your existance like I did.  Once I joined a corp, my knowledge of the game went from 1 to 11 in a heartbeat. 

10 months and still goin' strong.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by thehero1000

Just to correct some info here. EVE does not have 1 million users, they've had over 3 million people TRY the game and currently have 210,000 active accounts, including trials. Combat is simplistic to start but as you learn more skills and can use more modules it get's quite a bit more complicated, much like other MMO's. Also each ship is only about 3000 poly's in the current engine and I believe that is getting bumped up to 5000 in the new engine they are working on. Even still it should run quite a bit better as the current engine hardly uses the gpu at all.

As for my rating, I'd still give it an 8.5, bumped up to a 9.5 when the new graphics engine and ambulation are out.

• CharslesTCharslesT Member Posts: 366

It is the only game I hated.  Impossible for new people to catch up.  Very forced to join a guild.  It is retarded.

Boycott EA Games. RIP Sim City.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by CharslesT

It is the only game I hated.  Impossible for new people to catch up.  Very forced to join a guild.  It is retarded.
    Translation: I tried to take out somebody in a field they were specialized in/equiped for and got owned(As in every single MMO out there).. And I don't want to play a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER Online Roleplaying Game where I have to actually work with other people to accomplish stuff...

Now on my opinion I'd give it a 8.5 needs to clean some stuff up on the client side(GPU not being used) and some of the POS/Capital warfare issues..

• SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

I rate it a 3.

I gave it five months of play, just a souless game.

• DCXTemplarDCXTemplar Member Posts: 1

8/10

I can't say I've played many other MMOs for almost four years straight, except maybe Ultima Online. Yes, I admit it's not the most entertaining game at times, and it sure has its share of complete and utter boredom but it does have its moments especially in PvP. People always complain that its either too complicated or takes too long to get into, but to have seen what this game started out as and what it has become is something that I think everyone should take into account. When the game first started it was crap not much better than Earth and Beyond; over time they added more features, improved the graphics (which they are doing yet again), and expanded their community.

I enjoy being able to ruin someone's day or the fact that if you really wanted to kill someone you could do it almost anywhere at any time, unless they are docked. Though I don't limit myself to just Eve, that would probably drive me insane :P

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by SWGLover

I rate it a 3.
     I gave it five months of play, just a souless game.  
    Okay and fair nuff.... 

Would you care to go farther in depth as to what you mean by  "souless" to provide those of us who disagree with fodder?

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Hmmm

Well I will preface that I think EVE is currently the best MMORPG on the market right now.  But as to a rating?

It's got lots of room for improvement still.  The GUI needs a lot of re-thinking and the overview needs tweaking and the client needs to more efficiently use the power of newer graphics cards (by newer I mean anything that's come out in the past 2-3 years).  There is lots of room for improvement on the 'carebear' side of the game and room for improvement in the PVP Warfare side as well. 

The nice thing is that CCP is actually working on all of those things.  Slowly, to be sure, but month to month you can see gradual and steady changes in the gameplay which, so far, have improved things steadily.  

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Originally posted by SWGLover

I rate it a 3.

I gave it five months of play, just a souless game. Because it doesant have Jar Jar Binks in it 

Well i gave it a 7 because its a geat inovative detailed game but it is a little dated graphically and it has no avitars so its very impersonal.

But then again this is being fixed so i may add 2 to the score if it all works out When new graphics and avitars are realeased.

• llibertylliberty Member Posts: 52

I tried to love the game, and there are a lot of things I liked about it, but overall, 5/10.

Jumpgate beats it hands down on physics, realistic flying, targetting, and general space feel. It wins on lighting, particle count, skinning, and making space feel HUGE through slow travel.

Speaking of which, I hate long periods of my game play where I am doing nothing; and to travel, that's what happens, it reminds me of flight points in WoW. Hated them too. Or the zone loads of EQ/EQ2, time wasters. And that's what I'm PAYING for in the end, Time.

The societal aspect of the game can be good or bad, depending on the time of day and where you are. There plenty of asses with big ships to make up for their inadiquicies in 0 space.  But there are also lots of good people willing to rescue you and befreind you, not just pity you for being such a noob.

I'd probably have rated it higher except it wasted so much of my time. 

[edit]

(as an aside: I find the people who do like it, like it a lot more than is "healthy", and the rating here @ mmorpg.com is a testimate to their "tenacity".  )

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

^^^ How extremely rude! If you don't like it, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. But don't insenuate that the people on here who have given EvE a high rating are lying about how they feel. It's all a matter of opinion anyway and you can't tell someone that their opinion about something is wrong. Since EvE's population is relatively small in comparison to some MMOGs, why would anyone care enough about it to artificially inflate its rating? There's nothing to prove with this game, since it's already proven itself: it's already been out for longer than most MMOGs and there's no psychological or egotistical gain in giving it a high rating, unlike the case of some MMOGs out there. From my experience, most EvE players don't care about what other MMOG players think about it. I am one of those.

I haven't rated EvE yet. I can't decide what to give it. So far, I am happy in the game and have played it for over 2 years. I haven't felt like leaving yet and even if I do take a break from it eventually, I will come back. It's for me one of the best if not the best game on the market, but I can't assign a numerical value to it.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by jayheld90

1 million users, where did you get this figure, lol. last time i checked they had around 200k subs total.
    http://www.mmogchart.com/

and most of those are second and third (and forth and fifth) accounts

i had 4 myself when i played

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I just started playing EVE a little more than a month ago...and now am paying for 2 accounts.  Right now I'd have to rate the game about 7.5, which is fine since I don't think any game really gets it right and rate lower than this on my scale.... 

I love many aspects of the game, would like to see some improvements, (which they are actively working on) and am looking forward to defending  0.0 space  with my Corporation, maybe trying some mining, trading, exploring etc.

The most onerous thing about EVE (IMO) is the need to train learning skills right from the get-go... the game could have done w/o this sort of added timesink....especially since it forces new players to hold off training new skills which would enable them to do more, fun things in the game right away.

I have the patience, but I can see where some folks won't devote two or three more real months of time just to train up learning skills..

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

5/10

I have played EVE off and on for about 3 years.  Sometimes I like it sometimes I hate it.

My main problem with it is the constant drama.  I really think some people take the game too seriously.  If that is thier idea of fun more power to them. 

On their forums if you say you like to do missions you are flamed for being a carebear,  or if you like PVP you are flamed for being a ganker. 

Another thing I do not like is the game seems to be very exploitable.  People will do anything and I mean anything to "win".   For example suicide gankers, who get rewarded with loot for zero risk. 

All and all it has gotten to the point for me anyway that the whole atmosphere of the game is depressing.  Not my idea of fun. 

To those that like it enjoy the game.

• RevMrBlackRevMrBlack Member Posts: 51

My personal rating of EVE Online:

Graphics - 8.5
    I think EVE's graphics are quite good, but the ship/station/planet textures and models are dated. When the graphics update is put in things will be back to stellar.

The fact that the graphics engine doesn't utilize the GPU much at all lowered this score a bit.

Fun - 6
    There are far too many timesinks in EVE for me to give it a high score here. ISK grinding, waiting for RT skill training, travel. The combat in PvE and PvP is good, but it's all the other wasted time surrounding it that brings it down.

Sound - 5
    While the soundtrack is very good, the sound engine is crap. Not only does it glitch if there's too much going on (ie. gangs/fleets), it is a huge drain on the CPU and framerate. Turning off the sound is almost a requirement if you plan on plying EVE for any period of time. Also, EVE Voice is useless, and totally sub-par compared to Ventrilo/Teamspeak.

Community - 5
    While the majority of players in EVE are friendly, intelligent folks, the game doesn't foster any sense of community, aside from your Corp. The cutthroat nature of the game doesn't lead people to help each other, it actually does the reverse. Scamming/ganking is the norm. New players are often discouraged by this.

EVE's avatar-less design doesn't allow for a real sense of community. Coupled with the minimalistic chat system, and the aforementioned cutthroat nature of the game, leads to a very detached feeling.

Role-Playing - 2
    I have yet to meet an RPer in EVE, or see any RP taking place. Oh wait, you'll never *see* RP as EVE has no avatars. There are some RPers present, but they are radically outnumbered by the non-RPing folk. Perhaps when there is player avatars, the RPing community will grow.

Performance/Lag - 5
    EVE is laggy all the time. People who say it isn't must have not played other MMOs in a while. Market hubs like Jita, Rens and Oursaeleurt (sp?) are like Ironforge in WoW. Mission hubs like Mostu and Suroken (Caldari space) are full of lag as well. Even in the middle of nowhere Empire space, where I am, there's lag.

I don't think that CCP is going to be able to really fix the lag either. The database-query heavy nature of the game, and the single shard design are just going to be bottlenecks for performance, no matter what hardware they add to the server.

I lowered the score as well for the poor sound engine, and the poorly optimized graphics engine that barely uses any GPU power. It relies heavily on the CPU.

Value - 8.5
    The fact that the game is downloadable, costs only $19.99 for the game and first month, and the fee is $14.95 per month raises this score.

Service - 7
    Petitions are slow to be resolved, and I am not impressed with their heavyhanded moderating techniques, but nonetheless, they aren't that bad. About on par with most other MMOs.

Overall - 5.875
    I'd round this up to an even 6. EVE is okay, but it still needs more IMO. It's really no better than the rest of the MMOs out there, simply different. Hence why it's score is higher than some here at MMORPG.com. People have rated it compared to other MMOs (more linear, questing ones), but have forgotten to compare it to other sandbox MMOs (pre-CU/NGE SWG, Ryzom). I think that's where the problem lies.

To a sandbox player, WoW will be rated poorly, EVE highly. To a linear style gamer, it will be the reverse.

That's just the way I see it.
    The Rev.

Playing - Waiting on GW2
    Formerly played - Aion, CO, CoX, EVE, GW1, LotRO, RIFT, Ryzom, SWG, SWTOR, WAR, WoW
    Trialed - AA, DDO, EQ2, L2, MxO, RYL, TERA, VSoH
    Beta'd - HGL, GW2, PotBS, SWTOR, TCoS, TR
    Anticipating - GW2, PS2

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

6. It's over-hyped. No avatars. Not possible for new players to engage vets.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Originally posted by Phos

6. It's over-hyped. No avatars. Not possible for new players to engage vets.
    - Phos
    Lol troll post allert 

Anyway so you know avitars in less than 6 months now if all goes well. And 4 year old vets are easily beatable by 4 month old palyers so thats that..

Originally posted by RevMrBlack

My personal rating of EVE Online:
    Graphics - 8.5

I think EVE's graphics are quite good, but the ship/station/planet textures and models are dated. When the graphics update is put in things will be back to stellar. 7.0 The graphics are a bit dated now being as they are based on DirectX7. But later on in 6 months time at the latest the graphcs will be on par with modern standards.
    The fact that the graphics engine doesn't utilize the GPU much at all lowered this score a bit.
    Fun - 6

There are far too many timesinks in EVE for me to give it a high score here. ISK grinding, waiting for RT skill training, travel. The combat in PvE and PvP is good, but it's all the other wasted time surrounding it that brings it down. 7.0 I agree therre are a LOT of timesinks especially for a ewbie like i was but in the end if you find a good corp this is helped a lot. 
    Sound - 5

While the soundtrack is very good, the sound engine is crap. Not only does it glitch if there's too much going on (ie. gangs/fleets), it is a huge drain on the CPU and framerate. Turning off the sound is almost a requirement if you plan on plying EVE for any period of time. Also, EVE Voice is useless, and totally sub-par compared to Ventrilo/Teamspeak. I actually agree witht he above tho i do love the music in the dukebox.
    Community - 5

While the majority of players in EVE are friendly, intelligent folks, the game doesn't foster any sense of community, aside from your Corp. The cutthroat nature of the game doesn't lead people to help each other, it actually does the reverse. Scamming/ganking is the norm. New players are often discouraged by this. 8.6 While the above is true to a degeee to people like me who ahs built up friendships with my local/neighbouring corps the friendships extend to those outside of my corp and we even help each other in mining and tec 2 manufacturing too.Its all about promoting informall alliances and buisness deals in low sec and having gankers and pirates around helps to solidyfy friendships too.
    EVE's avatar-less design doesn't allow for a real sense of community. Coupled with the minimalistic chat system, and the aforementioned cutthroat nature of the game, leads to a very detached feeling.
    Role-Playing - 2

I have yet to meet an RPer in EVE, or see any RP taking place. Oh wait, you'll never *see* RP as EVE has no avatars. There are some RPers present, but they are radically outnumbered by the non-RPing folk. Perhaps when there is player avatars, the RPing community will grow. 6.0 What you have to bear in mind about EvE's roleplaying is that its based on charecters who are human and very much like we are not elves and with Thees and Thouss. So to roleplay properly act like yourself with undertomes added based on EvE race. For example if your ammarr slavery is ok and Mimitar are scum.
    Performance/Lag - 5

EVE is laggy all the time. People who say it isn't must have not played other MMOs in a while. Market hubs like Jita, Rens and Oursaeleurt (sp?) are like Ironforge in WoW. Mission hubs like Mostu and Suroken (Caldari space) are full of lag as well. Even in the middle of nowhere Empire space, where I am, there's lag. 6.0 Lag is not everywhere but it is found in trading hubs well enough ive learnt not to go there usually so i dont encounter much lag and the corp battles i get into are much smaller than the lag blobs you get with alliances. Also CCP ahve dne everything they can to reduce lag and more.
    I don't think that CCP is going to be able to really fix the lag either. The database-query heavy nature of the game, and the single shard design are just going to be bottlenecks for performance, no matter what hardware they add to the server. Its good to point out that CCP have designes to complety re-write this so heres hoping.
    I lowered the score as well for the poor sound engine, and the poorly optimized graphics engine that barely uses any GPU power. It relies heavily on the CPU.
    Value - 8.5

The fact that the game is downloadable, costs only $19.99 for the game and first month, and the fee is $14.95 per month raises this score. 8.5 yep agree witht the above
    Service - 7

Petitions are slow to be resolved, and I am not impressed with their heavyhanded moderating techniques, but nonetheless, they aren't that bad. About on par with most other MMOs. 7 Yea have to agree with you here.
    Overall - 5.875

I'd round this up to an even 6. EVE is okay, but it still needs more IMO. It's really no better than the rest of the MMOs out there, simply different. Hence why it's score is higher than some here at MMORPG.com. People have rated it compared to other MMOs (more linear, questing ones), but have forgotten to compare it to other sandbox MMOs (pre-CU/NGE SWG, Ryzom). I think that's where the problem lies.
    To a sandbox player, WoW will be rated poorly, EVE highly. To a linear style gamer, it will be the reverse.
    That's just the way I see it.

The Rev.