Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server size

SplatzorSplatzor Member UncommonPosts: 92

I read the thread in thier forum about thier servers and thier size. To me they sound a bit small , only having around 1500 per server.  What do you all think about a game that has 4 nations that are trying to take over the map only having 1500 per server. Or am I wrong about the size of the servers? I have another consern that if you are  in a fullish server that you would have a waitning line to get in the server that your clan / guild are in.  Just some random thoughts.

Comments

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Splatzor

I read the thread in thier forum about thier servers and thier size. To me they sound a bit small , only having around 1500 per server.  What do you all think about a game that has 4 nations that are trying to take over the map only having 1500 per server. Or am I wrong about the size of the servers? I have another consern that if you are  in a fullish server that you would have a waitning line to get in the server that your clan / guild are in.  Just some random thoughts.

depends on the size of the world really. IF the world is small-medium, then 1500 is fine, but if its on a much rander scale, it might mean that only certain zones are "hotspots" for action, leaving other zones unused.

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

The general rule of thumb is that you only have 10-15% of your user base online at any given time, so if we expected 2000 concurrent we'd allow 15-20000 people per world instance.  Unless your guild is truly uber, you ought to fit. 

Exact numbers aren't nailed down yet.  One of the reasons for our doing the 10K release we've been talking about is to start pushing the server load so we can tune memory usage  and fix bugs and performance with real world populations.  Once 10K is achieved, we'll continue to scale up the population until we reach our expected server population numbers.  In reality, server population is more of a design constraint than a technical one.  Our server architecture is sufficiently scalable that we can throw more  machines at the problem to support more players.  The issues are more one of tuning the optimal player density for fun.  Too many people and you feel like you have no impact on the game world, too few and you feel you're in a barren wasteland.  

Now admittedly, if we were being realistic, life at sea would include a lot of barren oceanic wastelands.  This is one of those times where we're trading historical accuracy for fun...

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EFPBM

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

this is proof of why this game will be the one.

die. <3

• SplatzorSplatzor Member UncommonPosts: 92

Thanks for the response.

I basically have played MMO's that have I guess larger server sizes , WoW , SWG , AC, and the limit seemed small to me at least.   I take it that in the Beta , when you do the big push the population will be taken into account for the economy and the PvP aspect of the game; The amounts of resources that a given population could produce and also the amount of port unrest that could be acomplish by a given amount of a player base?

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

Well one of the things about the economy is that players are both producing and using the resources, so beyond a certain level of minimum players to get things going it should balance out.  I.e. if there are more players they are both producers and consumers.   But that's the theory.  The 10K build is where we find out how well that all works in practice  .  We know there will be a lot of changes as we ramp the number of players up from 1 or 2K to 10.   Beyond that I don't expect it will change as dramatically.

Similarly we are tuning the ways and amounts of unrest caused during the port conquest process to make it balanced and fun, and that will be ongoing from now until ship (hand wave hand wave, not  my area of the game ).   Isildur may jump in and correct me if he gets a moment, but he's cranking pretty hard these days.   Design doesn't have the luxury of long compiles to read forums

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

If Chuck Norris starts playing, he'd get his own server and whenever he logged on it would be considered "full."

- Phos

(is this the first Chuck Norris joke?)

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

As sad as it makes me...

I lol'd irl....