Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video that made me say, wow....

2»

Comments

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Flem

Originally posted by Urdig

No matter what your opinion of skateboarding.  Grabbing a child by the throat isn't allowed.  Especially when that child is laying on the ground already.
    The cop didn't seem to interested in the other kids till the one that took the picture informed him that he had taken it. 

Look closer at the vid, he didnt grab him by the throat, not even close.  He has his forearm across his jawline.

thats nice compared to what happened to my friend.

My friend was on his bike going 120 in a 60 zone with his girl on the back. the cop sees him at the light without flashing his lights gets out and pulls him off the bike.

The bike falls and the girl gets 3rd degree burns from the exhaust.

the cop cuffs my friend in a way that because my friends shoulders are screwed up he couldn't breate and all the cop does is swear at him until he turns blue, after he had been tackled to the ground so hard his face is bleeding.

ya that is a relatively nice cop.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Vergeltung

No matter what your opinion of skateboarding.  Grabbing a child by the throat isn't allowed.  Especially when that child is laying on the ground already.
    The cop didn't seem to interested in the other kids till the one that took the picture informed him that he had taken it. 

Look closer at the vid, he didnt grab him by the throat, not even close.  He has his forearm across his jawline.

My friend was on his bike going 120 in a 60 zone with his girl on the back. the cop sees him at the light without flashing his lights gets out and pulls him off the bike.

At this point I wish they had thrown your friend in jail for life.  Frikken idiots endangering the lives of everyone around them.

the cop cuffs my friend in a way that because my friends shoulders are screwed up he couldn't breate and all the cop does is swear at him until he turns blue, after he had been tackled to the ground so hard his face is bleeding.

And isn't it great that you live in a country where you are obviously free enough to complain about it.  Personally I wish the cops had a little more control and there was a lot less lawsuits allowed in this country.  They might actually be able to do their jobs then.  Stupid idiots like you friend don't deserve the freedom that we provide. **Edit** and by "we" I mean the Military that lives and dies to protect the freedom of this country.

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

First off, he probably didn't flash his lights or anything because he thought/knew that he'd never be able to catch your friend on his bike doing that ridiculously dangerous speed, putting not just his and his girlfriend's, but possibly many other lives in jeopardy. Taking it the other way, what if the cop had let him go, and he causes an accident in which a family of four are killed? Or, if the cop had flashed his lights to warn him, and your friend took off (the cop doesn't know what kind of person is riding that bike), trying to evade the cop, causing the accident that killed a family of four? It's not like either of those is a small fraction of what could have happened, either... it was quite a good probability that either of those could have happened.

Sorry to hear about the girl getting 3rd degree burns, but there could be more to your story that you haven't said, or don't even know. Maybe it was your friend who tipped the bike with his feet while he was being pulled off? Or maybe the girl even did it? Not saying I'm not sympathetic for an innocent person getting injured, but you can't just assume that the people that protect our lives are all evil.

Also, how is the cop supposed to know his shoulders are screwed up and can't breathe? He's not a doctor. Also, about the face bleeding part, how do you know your friend wasn't resisting arrest? Even if he told you he wasn't, in the heat of getting pulled off your bike, you're probably not acting very rationally, and could have been physically resisting more than you think.

-Machiavelli

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

the cop was over the line for sure.
    But mind you he didn't stop when the cop told him to which is evading arrest.
    If he had stopped the worst the cop could have done was a citiation.......
    bottom line the skater was a retard.

Vergel posting makes babies smile.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70

Evading arrest and mouthing off, not a good thing to do to a Cop. They were acting like a bunch of jackasses when they shouldn't have been.

Originally posted by ViolentY

First off, he probably didn't flash his lights or anything because he thought/knew that he'd never be able to catch your friend on his bike doing that ridiculously dangerous speed, putting not just his and his girlfriend's, but possibly many other lives in jeopardy. Taking it the other way, what if the cop had let him go, and he causes an accident in which a family of four are killed? Or, if the cop had flashed his lights to warn him, and your friend took off (the cop doesn't know what kind of person is riding that bike), trying to evade the cop, causing the accident that killed a family of four? It's not like either of those is a small fraction of what could have happened, either... it was quite a good probability that either of those could have happened.

Sorry to hear about the girl getting 3rd degree burns, but there could be more to your story that you haven't said, or don't even know. Maybe it was your friend who tipped the bike with his feet while he was being pulled off? Or maybe the girl even did it? Not saying I'm not sympathetic for an innocent person getting injured, but you can't just assume that the people that protect our lives are all evil.

Also, how is the cop supposed to know his shoulders are screwed up and can't breathe? He's not a doctor. Also, about the face bleeding part, how do you know your friend wasn't resisting arrest? Even if he told you he wasn't, in the heat of getting pulled off your bike, you're probably not acting very rationally, and could have been physically resisting more than you think.

very good points except for i was watching from my bike about 60 feet behind him when he stopped at the light.

and no the cop couldn't have caught him, he didn't have a custom zx 14 like mine but he couldn't.

But regardless the cop should at least identify himself before pulling him off the bike and throwing him, where the cop could have just as easily stopped him from starting the bike again or pulled his limbs off the throttle, or the clutch.

he wasn't resisting at all that cop was just being overly aggressive.

Mind you i would have just ran assuming i didn't have a passenger, and on the bike i had at the time no way in hell any police vehicle could have caught me, but it was way way way way way too dangerous to ride.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• malak118malak118 Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

At this point I wish they had thrown your friend in jail for life.  Frikken idiots endangering the lives of everyone around them.

And isn't it great that you live in a country where you are obviously free enough to complain about it.  Personally I wish the cops had a little more control and there was a lot less lawsuits allowed in this country.  They might actually be able to do their jobs then.  Stupid idiots like you friend don't deserve the freedom that we provide. **Edit** and by "we" I mean the Military that lives and dies to protect the freedom of this country.

hmm your ideology sounds an awful lot like communism. Strong police state with few restrictions and checks. All citizens are some way envolved with the state so no more "we" situations. also anyone who dissents is silenced by the most extreme measures. Ever thought about a move to cuba, venezula, or china?

Originally posted by malak118

hmm your ideology sounds an awful lot like communism. Strong police state with few restrictions and checks. All citizens are some way envolved with the state so no more "we" situations. also anyone who dissents is silenced by the most extreme measures. Ever thought about a move to cuba, venezula, or china?

eh everyone thinks a stronger police force with less restrictions is a good idea until they become the next rodney king.

The truth is the check and balance in law enforcement is as a general rule pretty fair, with outlying incidents on both sides of the equation.

But a lot of people become cops to boost their own ego, or because they crave authority, or some are authenticly real closet nutjobs.

But on the flipside their are a lot of good cops who genuinely want to protect and serve, and are extremely fair, and ideal neighbors.

Same goes for the military, some people who join are racists who believe in american superiority to the point of insanity, some just want the power a gun and being in a foreign country give them.

But on the other hand their a lot of soldiers who genuinely wish to serve both their country and the world, who are good men, don't pull abu grave type stunts, and come home with an understanding, appreciation, and respect for other cultures. Some even bring some of that back with them and enrich the world.

Law enforcement, military, fast food workers, tech support, bar tenders, and financial and legal industry workers, are all subject to the rule of humanity. Some are bad, some are good, but 76% fall withing normal standard deviation.

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

Sometimes when I see things like that it makes me glad I live in the UK, If the cops did anything like that publicly it'd be all over the news and the cop involved would get fired from his job and maybe even get a jail sentence if it was serious I reckon. I hope they get laws that stop cops from doing stuff like that in the U.S too -_- I'm not expert but as someone who practices martial arts, that's going way to far especially since they were just kids who didn't know what was going on, all I heard from that cop was stuff like "Civil Disorder" sounds to me like he was just looking for someone to push around personally, if it's that much of an issue then there would be signs up in a place like that, he never actually properly explained to them what was going on, a UK cop would've stopped the kids first and warned them, not just jump them like that not only that they'd explain it properly, that cop went too far they were only kids, not grownups that could've beaten him up.... Some people are just so harsh it's unfair sometimes honestly, that goes for some of the people on these forums who clearly seem to have tried second guessing what happened as too much.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876

This is nothing.

The police have been killing afro-american in cold blood calling it "contagius shootings" for years.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2

i would like to know what the first kid did before the filming started. its clear that these kids were out to stir the pot on "go skateboarding day." sure they might disagree with the law but it doesnt mean you have to be a prick about it. There are ways to protest within reason and these kids clearly wanted to test the authorities. it just so happened they found the best target. Some bum who thinks he is john mclane. It was skateboarding and bad mouth kids not purse snatching or bank robbery. I personally dont think he should have ran after the kid who took off while leaving a suspect bound. IMO he should have called for back up while holding his first suspect.  its skateboarding and the precedent still stands that if you do it and get mouthy you will get arrested. (please dont give me any slippery slope bull shit either) The kids who stuck around didnt help matters either they pretty much pushed the buttons causing further problems. I cant accept the officers behavior but I cant totally blame him either I guess.

• RizlawRizlaw Member UncommonPosts: 150

Those cops were very harsh indeed. Hope the kids are ok and that they've learned their lesson.

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by 0k21

Sometimes when I see things like that it makes me glad I live in the UK, If the cops did anything like that publicly it'd be all over the news and the cop involved would get fired from his job and maybe even get a jail sentence if it was serious I reckon. I hope they get laws that stop cops from doing stuff like that in the U.S too -_- I'm not expert but as someone who practices martial arts, that's going way to far especially since they were just kids who didn't know what was going on, all I heard from that cop was stuff like "Civil Disorder" sounds to me like he was just looking for someone to push around personally, if it's that much of an issue then there would be signs up in a place like that, he never actually properly explained to them what was going on, a UK cop would've stopped the kids first and warned them, not just jump them like that not only that they'd explain it properly, that cop went too far they were only kids, not grownups that could've beaten him up.... Some people are just so harsh it's unfair sometimes honestly, that goes for some of the people on these forums who clearly seem to have tried second guessing what happened as too much.

You make our cops in the UK sound like saints. Sure, we have a lot of decent and fair people in our police force, but that's not to say we don't have our fair share of thugs too.

Cops are just people too.  I know that half of the posters here wouldn't put up with someone mouthing off to them or showing contempt towards them.  So don't get all preachy on the cop because of the "poor kids".  I have seen some of the posters here go off for a lot less.  I am sure if the video had started at the beginning we would of seen what caused the problem and I am postive that it was caused by the skaters.  Their attitude they showed in the video especially at the end when they say Happy skateboarding day shows that they were out to do this.  So the blame needs to be placed on the skaters where it belongs.  It is pretty easy to show that the cop was being aggressive at that point, but it is possible that the kids were riding the skateboards and knocking people over etc way before the video starts.  Heck those kids could of been mouthing off to the cop swearing at him, calling him names, and maybe even assaulting the cop for all you know. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

• HawkbitHawkbit Member Posts: 31

This is an important part of the investigation, I'm sure.  Once the kid says he's got a picture of it, the cop shoots right for him, leaving the handcuffed kid defenseless and unattended on the ground.  The first thing IA is going to wonder about is why the cop felt it necessary to hunt down the person that was taking pictures.  The answer, of course, is that the cop knew he was doing wrong. 

I went to Ohio State for my undergrad.  During my time there we had a group of people that were dedicated to videotaping arrests at the bars near campus because the kids were getting pummeled during the arrests.  At first the cops cleaned up their acts for the cameras, but after a few months one of them slipped up and the person they arrested got smacked around on tape.  After that wound up in the hands of local news and aired during primetime, the cops started becoming physical with the cameramen that were taping the arrests.  Cameras were smashed, tapes were ripped up.  This went on for a few weeks till someone started secretly videotaping those altercations as well.  Which, of course, wound up on TV and got a bunch of people in trouble. 

Regardless, the kids were in the wrong if they were skating in a prohibited zone.  The cop could have issued them a ticket and the whole thing would have been over.  Instead he likely just lost his job and opened the city up for lawsuits.  The girl and guy that he had in the double headlock did nothing wrong at all (prior to the 'resisting arrest'), yet he went after them once they got near the table.  Notice the other cop standing back, not helping his fellow officer.  That cop knew the situation was out of hand, it's clear. 

As has been said before in this thread... the kids likely needed punished.  But to what extreme?

Cops are just people too.  I know that half of the posters here wouldn't put up with someone mouthing off to them or showing contempt towards them.  So don't get all preachy on the cop because of the "poor kids".  I have seen some of the posters here go off for a lot less.  I am sure if the video had started at the beginning we would of seen what caused the problem and I am postive that it was caused by the skaters.  Their attitude they showed in the video especially at the end when they say Happy skateboarding day shows that they were out to do this.  So the blame needs to be placed on the skaters where it belongs.  It is pretty easy to show that the cop was being aggressive at that point, but it is possible that the kids were riding the skateboards and knocking people over etc way before the video starts.  Heck those kids could of been mouthing off to the cop swearing at him, calling him names, and maybe even assaulting the cop for all you know. 

Cops may be people too but they dont get to whip the shit out of people for calling them names sorry. I agree the kids were up to no good but there is an expected level of behavior from our cities finest. cops deal with scum bags all the time it comes with the territory. The line between bum and honorable officer is demonstrated by action and control. Its too bad that most often we get the bums over the men.

Cops may be people too but they dont get to whip the shit out of people for calling them names sorry. I agree the kids were up to no good but there is an expected level of behavior from our cities finest. cops deal with scum bags all the time it comes with the territory. The line between bum and honorable officer is demonstrated by action and control. Its too bad that most often we get the bums over the men.

You don't know that is what happened.  For all we know the cop asked them to stop skateboarding there and they threw a punch at him.  Or spit on him which in most states constitutes assault. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

You don't know that is what happened.  For all we know the cop asked them to stop skateboarding there and they threw a punch at him.  Or spit on him which in most states constitutes assault. 

There's links up at youtube to the uncut videos - in 2 parts.  We still don't see what instigated the choking, but at the end of the second video the cop tells each kid individually what they're being arrested for.  At no time does he say anything regarding assault.  Honestly, I'll bet the cop just got pissed because the kids were skating, thought he'd make an example of one kid and wound up going waaay overboard. 

Originally posted by Hawkbit

There's links up at youtube to the uncut videos - in 2 parts.  We still don't see what instigated the choking, but at the end of the second video the cop tells each kid individually what they're being arrested for.  At no time does he say anything regarding assault.  Honestly, I'll bet the cop just got pissed because the kids were skating, thought he'd make an example of one kid and wound up going waaay overboard. 

How do we know the videos are uncut?  I am sorry but I don't trust video evidence at all when it comes to circumstances like this.  Too often the videos are just like the news media.  They only tell the side of the story that they want you to know. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Nothing special. I can't see why skaters complain when a skate in a no skateboarding place. Then when they get arrested they want to cry and make a youtube video about it? That's not disturbing, just cops doing their job. To see as how that skater was turning the opposite way of where the cop was going in cuffs, I'm pretty sure I know why his face was in the pavement to begin with. I even see them trying to run away. WTF. This video does seem a little cut up. We don't know what they are saying or whats going on. It's like the media.

I do have to say if any one is at fault it's both sides. I don't know how hard of a grip that cop had around that kid's throat, but a hand shouldn't be there, but these kids might have been resisting arrest or somthing, but they were breaking the law. No one is a winner here.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

How do we know the videos are uncut?  I am sorry but I don't trust video evidence at all when it comes to circumstances like this.  Too often the videos are just like the news media.  They only tell the side of the story that they want you to know. 

Here:

www.youtube.com/watch-  edited version shown above 4.25

www.youtube.com/watch -  uncut pt 1 2.35

www.youtube.com/watch- uncut pt 2 4.23

Just to be clear - pt1 and pt2 there's no cuts between.  It's not really all that much more than what's in the edited video.

I'm not saying the kids were in the right on this one... they need to be cited if they broke a law.  But I strongly doubt that arrests are generally issued for misdemeanors, and I can only assume skateboarding in prohibited areas is a misdemeanor.  The real issue here is that the cop was out of line.  If I ever saw a cop manhandling my daughter like that over such a small offense, it would have become a felony on my part for sure. 

At no point did he "protect and serve".

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

This is an important part of the investigation, I'm sure.  Once the kid says he's got a picture of it, the cop shoots right for him, leaving the handcuffed kid defenseless and unattended on the ground.  The first thing IA is going to wonder about is why the cop felt it necessary to hunt down the person that was taking pictures.  The answer, of course, is that the cop knew he was doing wrong. 

I went to Ohio State for my undergrad.  During my time there we had a group of people that were dedicated to videotaping arrests at the bars near campus because the kids were getting pummeled during the arrests.  At first the cops cleaned up their acts for the cameras, but after a few months one of them slipped up and the person they arrested got smacked around on tape.  After that wound up in the hands of local news and aired during primetime, the cops started becoming physical with the cameramen that were taping the arrests.  Cameras were smashed, tapes were ripped up.  This went on for a few weeks till someone started secretly videotaping those altercations as well.  Which, of course, wound up on TV and got a bunch of people in trouble. 

Regardless, the kids were in the wrong if they were skating in a prohibited zone.  The cop could have issued them a ticket and the whole thing would have been over.  Instead he likely just lost his job and opened the city up for lawsuits.  The girl and guy that he had in the double headlock did nothing wrong at all (prior to the 'resisting arrest'), yet he went after them once they got near the table.  Notice the other cop standing back, not helping his fellow officer.  That cop knew the situation was out of hand, it's clear. 

As has been said before in this thread... the kids likely needed punished.  But to what extreme?

Exactly.

I'm not a lawyer, and by no means do I know that much about the law as I tend not to get into trouble with it, but I do not believe that violation of a city ordinance is an arrestable offense.

Is violation of a city ordinance even a misdemeanor? 

The kids were obviousely doing something they shouldn't have been, as a lot of kids tend to do, but that doesn't give anyone the right to choke a defensless child or put them into headlocks.

The argument that police officers are people to is total BS.  Being a person doesn't make it ok to do what that cop was doing, and is not an excuse for making such a mistake.  He's an officer of the law, not only is it his job to enforce it, but to also uphold it.  Having a badge and a gun does not put anyone above the law, nor does it give anyone the right to break it because they are a person.

What the cop did is called aggrevated assault.  If those were my kids I would make sure that cop was charged for breaking the law himself.

Wish Darkfall would release.

I can't watch those two uneditted versions.   Can someone tell me if they start any earlier?  For instance were the kids just filming themselves throughout the day and then the cop comes up to them?  Or does it once again start with the Cop arresting one of the kids?  If the kids were just out filming themselves skateboarding and then caught what the cop did be happenstance then I do think the cop over reacted.  But if once again the video doesn't show what really happened before the Cop arrived I think the video is an example of creative editting.  

I highly doubt the cop acted that way to some kids just because he doesn't like skateboarding.  I find it a lot more likely that the kids did something inflamatory to the Police officer first.

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

I can't watch those two uneditted versions.   Can someone tell me if they start any earlier?  For instance were the kids just filming themselves throughout the day and then the cop comes up to them?  Or does it once again start with the Cop arresting one of the kids?  If the kids were just out filming themselves skateboarding and then caught what the cop did be happenstance then I do think the cop over reacted.  But if once again the video doesn't show what really happened before the Cop arrived I think the video is an example of creative editting.  

I highly doubt the cop acted that way to some kids just because he doesn't like skateboarding.  I find it a lot more likely that the kids did something inflamatory to the Police officer first.
    The two unedited videos do not start any earlier.  Rather than 'creative editing', it starts as if the camera is running up to the area where the first kid is being handcuffed.  It's not 'editing'.  It's just the first point that the taping of this incident occurs. 

You're entirely correct in the fact that ANYTHING could have happened before the camera got there.  But in the last part of the second video the cop goes around to each of the 3-4 kids and explains to them each why they're being arrested.  From memory, one gets 'skateboarding: prohibited'.  The kid who said to the cop in the beginning "I've got a picture of this" then runs away, gets 'fleeing and resisting arrest'.  Another kid gets 'battery and skateboarding', but we can't see for what reason although the cop alludes to his shin being hurt.  I think the kid that got battery is the kid who was in the double headlock with the girl (she got away, I think).  While he's telling them what they're arrested for, he's calling into the station to put other cars in the area to arrest the kids that got away. 

At no point did he make mention of the first kid in handcuffs in the video having assaulting him or anyone else.  In fact, it seems as if that kid is simply being arrested for 'skateboarding: prohibited'. 

The two unedited videos do not start any earlier.  Rather than 'creative editing', it starts as if the camera is running up to the area where the first kid is being handcuffed.  It's not 'editing'.  It's just the first point that the taping of this incident occurs. 

You're entirely correct in the fact that ANYTHING could have happened before the camera got there.  But in the last part of the second video the cop goes around to each of the 3-4 kids and explains to them each why they're being arrested.  From memory, one gets 'skateboarding: prohibited'.  The kid who said to the cop in the beginning "I've got a picture of this" then runs away, gets 'fleeing and resisting arrest'.  Another kid gets 'battery and skateboarding', but we can't see for what reason although the cop alludes to his shin being hurt.  I think the kid that got battery is the kid who was in the double headlock with the girl (she got away, I think).  While he's telling them what they're arrested for, he's calling into the station to put other cars in the area to arrest the kids that got away. 

At no point did he make mention of the first kid in handcuffs in the video having assaulting him or anyone else.  In fact, it seems as if that kid is simply being arrested for 'skateboarding: prohibited'. 

Of course it could very well be that the battery he mentions about the one kid is what actually instigates the whole incident.  We probably will find out when ever the Police station concludes their investigation. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too: