Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improvements to Random PvP (suggestions)

SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
1. In Random Arenas, the Enter Battle button shouldn't be accessible unless you have a Resurrection Signet on your skill bar.

Honestly, IMO that should be a basic requirement. Resurrection spells just don't cut it in the thick of a fast skirmish. Someone used Rebirth on me once... Rebirth!!! Hello? 25% HP, 0 Energy, all skills disabled... What good does that exactly do??

2. In RA/Fort Aspenwood/Jade Quarry: unless your team resigns, if you map out or don't rejoin after a D/C, you get a penalty. First, you can't join any PvP for X minutes... Then for each time in a row you do, you lose 1000 Factions. Five times in a row, you lose a Gladiator point.

That's to take care of "Rage quitters" as they are called in RA, or most probably players trying to give a number disadvantage to one side in the case of Factions.

Edit: Actually that might be a little pushed... Player: "Resign damnit, we're screwed anyway..."; Lamer: "No, lolz!" Maybe a majority vote?

3. Idle characters/leechers: maybe the trickiest to implement, a monitoring routine that checks your actions in relation to NPC scripts (e.g. handing in Amber) or damage dealt or healed (including hexes). I stress on damage/hexes, that excludes Vampiric weapons, health sacrifice and inherent side effects (like Shadow Form). You do nothing after X minutes in game, you get booted to the relevant outpost, and the rules above apply.

Comments? Thoughts? Not sure this stuff is exploit-free... There might be instances it punishes the wrong players too (thinking about the last point).

Comments

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325
    1. Simple arguement: Monks never carry rez in PvP. It's a given fact. A monk should not waste a skill slot on a skill takes a while (even sigs are considered long) while other players have the responsibility to do so. The Monk should instead paid attentino to the health and condition of the party. Good idea, but does not hold water.

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

1. Rebirth has its uses. Sometimes, it's better to be resurrected disabled but in a safe place, rather than be revived into the thick of battle.

2, 3. Let good friend Karma take care of it. If you want, I can give you a referral. :)

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Secrom

1. In Random Arenas, the Enter Battle button shouldn't accessible unless you have a Resurrection Signet on your skill bar.

Honestly, IMO that should be a basic requirement. Resurrection spells just don't cut it in the thick of a fast skirmish. Someone used Rebirth on me once... Rebirth!!! Hello? 25% HP, 0 Energy, all skills disabled... What good does that exactly do??

2. In RA/Fort Aspenwood/Jade Quarry: unless your team resigns, if you map out or don't rejoin after a D/C, you get a penalty. First, you can't join any PvP for X minutes... Then for each time in a row you do, you lose 1000 Factions. Five times in a row, you lose a Gladiator point.

That's to take care of "Rage quitters" as they are called in RA, or most probably players trying to give a number disadvantage to one side in the case of Factions.

3. Idle characters/leechers: maybe the trickiest to implement, a monitoring routine that checks your actions in relation to NPC scripts (e.g. handing in Amber) or damage dealt or healed (including hexes). I stress on damage/hexes, that excludes Vampiric weapons, health sacrifice and inherent side effects (like Shadow Form). You do nothing after X minutes in game, you get booted to the relevant outpost, and the rules above apply.

Comments? Thoughts? Not sure this stuff is exploit-free... There might be instances it punishes the wrong players too (thinking about the last point).
    I used to get upset by people there, but I don't anymore.  Make the following connection:

RA = Mos Eisley Spaceport

"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

You know what you are getting into when you go to RA.

1) You will not always have a balanced group, remember RA stands for random arena

2) You will not always have a monk

3) People are going to leave thanks to the ol' gladiator title track

4) People are going to run, hope someone remembered to bring a snare

5) This is a place where a lot of people come to test builds

6) If you die quick you can always get into your next match 30 seconds later

7) Many player new to PvP come here to cut their teeth,  I know I did, so expect newbies

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325
    I totally agree with you with the above post

____

I find Rebirth only useful is PvE. Remeber it kills the energy off of the monk so not only is the rezed dude useless for a few seconds, so is that monk. And seconds in PvP can be critical.

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• FiberCodeFiberCode Member Posts: 50

1. One of the main qualities of GW is the fact that you can choose your own tactics. Some people simple choose another skill instead of a rez sig. This is their choice, their own survival instead of yours. They paid the same amount for the same game but choose to play it differently. To each his own.

2. To penalize someone for not rejoining after disconnect would be a bad move. I know there are times when i get disconnected, and just decide to shut it down for a while. If there was a penalty for that. It would only discourage people not to play. As far as the rage quitters, there really should be a "anti-random-idontlikemygroup" code. Yeah, it sucks when you get ...war, sin, sin, sin....and they get monk, ele, war, rit....but hey...thats why its random. I definatly agree with you on a penalty for that. I dont think it would be too hard to figure out who is doing it. Ok, this person left within the first 10 seconds of the match 5000 times. Lets focus on him. :)

3. OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. DELETE THE FREAKING LEECHERS ACCOUNT. ....lol....but no, im serious. Nothing makes me more angry than going into a alliance battle and like 5 people just standing there. Its like going into battle with your balls attached to a short string to your foot. Yeah, you may do good for a short stint, but its going to hurt after a while. Im going to go harsher on this issue. If your known to be botting/idle farming/leeching....remove any and all faction from that account. If it continues. Remove all faction from that guild and everyone in it (after their aware of the problem first) no reason to punish someone who didnt know about it. Still continue? remove the account. GD LEECHERS...i get tired of typing that ingame. 

Anywho, maybe ANET will do something about these issues. Maybe not. Whichever way, I still love playing it and hopefully the good will overcome the bad. CYA 

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

1. In Random Arenas, the Enter Battle button shouldn't be accessible unless you have a Resurrection Signet on your skill bar.
    Monks.

Agreed, I've been in favor of implementing a penalty for RA ragequitters. Not because I'm personally bothered by it (which in fact I am, when I want to try out a build and can't because 4 out of 5 matches I'm playing alone) but because RA right now gives a bad impression of GW PvP to newcomers.

Hard, won't happen.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by FiberCode

1. One of the main qualities of GW is the fact that you can choose your own tactics. Some people simple choose another skill instead of a rez sig. This is their choice, their own survival instead of yours. They paid the same amount for the same game but choose to play it differently. To each his own.
    And in Random Arenas since you have no control over your team's setup you don't know if you'll have enough backup when things get hairy, while still ending up with other people who have to count on you even in a worst case scenario.

2. To penalize someone for not rejoining after disconnect would be a bad move. I know there are times when i get disconnected, and just decide to shut it down for a while. If there was a penalty for that. It would only discourage people not to play.
    I doubt so. Since you shut it down for a while, the penalty will run out in the meantime. See what I mean?

3. OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. DELETE THE FREAKING LEECHERS ACCOUNT. ....lol....but no, im serious. Nothing makes me more angry than going into a alliance battle and like 5 people just standing there. Its like going into battle with your balls attached to a short string to your foot. Yeah, you may do good for a short stint, but its going to hurt after a while. Im going to go harsher on this issue. If your known to be botting/idle farming/leeching....remove any and all faction from that account. If it continues. Remove all faction from that guild and everyone in it (after their aware of the problem first) no reason to punish someone who didnt know about it. Still continue? remove the account. GD LEECHERS...i get tired of typing that ingame. 
    Anywho, maybe ANET will do something about these issues. Maybe not. Whichever way, I still love playing it and hopefully the good will overcome the bad. CYA 

Well they've taken measures against trade spam in "All" channel, so there's still hope :)
    Originally posted by Akaraxle

Monks.

Agreed, I've been in favor of implementing a penalty for RA ragequitters. Not because I'm personally bothered by it (which in fact I am, when I want to try out a build and can't because 4 out of 5 matches I'm playing alone) but because RA right now gives a bad impression of GW PvP to newcomers.

Hard, won't happen.

1. Example of contructive criticism: "Make it rather so that, in Random Arenas, the Enter Battle button shouldn't be accessible unless you have a Resurrection Signet on your skill bar or your primary profession is Monk." Then let's hope no Smiters go to RA right?
    2 & 3. Unfortunately if 3 isn't solved, I see people from category 2 moving to 3.
  • gerry7gerry7 Member Posts: 53

I havnt been reading the post before, just scrolled through them quickly so plz dont get angry if i repeat something. For the leechers in AB, they should put in a system that makes a player go afk after 1min of doing nothing (like in WoW, last time i played it, like a year and a half ago). In the battlegrounds in WoW, which is similar to AB, once someone goes afk by typing /afk or not doing anything for like 5 mins(? cant remember how long) they are automatically transported out of the battleground. This should be used in gw too as it would definately stop leechers in AB and fort aspenwood etc. For RA they should also use an idea from WoW, in battleground in WoW if you leave before the  battle finishes, then you get a dishonor or something, making you unable to rejoin the battlegrounds again for 5 mins or something. I know that taking this ideas would just be copying WoW, but they are really good ideas that gw should consider, to stop leechers and rage quitters and leavers. But this idea in RA would mean that some little kid wuold think it would be funny to make their char a runner, and run around for hours and when the people leave they have the penalty, but at least its better than having quitters. Its random arena, so dont leave people just because you dont have the 'perfect group', the key word is "random"

p.s. everything that ive said about WoW was what it was over a year ago, i havnt played since then so dont abuse me for getting it wrong if theyve changed it

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

1. Example of contructive criticism: "Make it rather so that, in Random Arenas, the Enter Battle button shouldn't be accessible unless you have a Resurrection Signet on your skill bar or your primary profession is Monk." Then let's hope no Smiters go to RA right?
    2 & 3. Unfortunately if 3 isn't solved, I see people from category 2 moving to 3.
    When an issue is complex and I don't feel like going through with it, I omit stuff and simply mention the most obvious thing. There are certain builds where you'd be better off with something else rather than a sig. GW is all about choices, and limiting a player to 7 skills just seems not right.

3 is doable, but they will not do it. It's a very complex issue which must be analyzed by sitting around a table and brainstorming, and ANet has got his hands full right with other things right now. I figure they might think about it, months after GW:EN is out.
    The closest thing they could do is implement auto-kick after a couple minutes of not touching keyboard/mouse, but then I'm very afraid people would start botting or macroing. Auto-clicking a random point of the screen every minute is a very easy thing to do.

Originally posted by Akaraxle

The closest thing they could do is implement auto-kick after a couple minutes of not touching keyboard/mouse, but then I'm very afraid people would start botting or macroing. Auto-clicking a random point of the screen every minute is a very easy thing to do.

Yep tricky one, that's why using only some kind of inactivity timer alone wouldn't cut it.