Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else REALLY glad they didn't sign up for the Lifetime?

2»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by JonMichael

I'm VERY glad I got the lifetime subscription.  I've been playing since January and still love the game as much today as I did back then.
    I think most of the "bored" posts are from people who either rushed to the level cap and now have nothing to do or else people who were looking for something innovative or new. 
    People were warned before the game launched that it wasn't for powergamers or people who were looking for something ground-breaking.  It's a wonderful well polished, casual game. 
    If you play it that way... the game has a lot of staying power.  If you're looking for raiding, end content or something new and innovative.... this game was never for you.

QFT. This game is not for people who rush to beat the game. It's more for people who want to put the RPG back in the MMO.

Anyway as I said before I figure i should get 5 years plus out of my lifetime sub. Not continious of course, I will take breaks for single player games and possibly some even for other MMORPGs. However I will be firing LoTRO back up with each expansion LOL.

I miss DAoC

• allmusallmus Member Posts: 16

i'm so glad i took the lifetime offer and here's why...

i've been a hardcore player, a power leveler, a casual player, and every other kind of player for over 10 years now.

i find the best idea for any game is when it get's boring, leave it for a few weeks/a month. when u come back to the game it's more refreshing to play it.

now, to keep stoping and starting subsciptions is a right ROYAL pain. and now i don't have to.

i can leave this game anytime i need a break or when something "new and groundbreaking" comes about, try it, and then come back to LOTRO anytime i want to. also i'm hopeing to get over 5 years of gameplay out of it. and with the patch's and expansions i can play though the books too.

the game will improve, expand,evole, and generally get better with time, those that are already bored with it shouldn't have tried to get to 50 in less than a month, OR should have tried the open beta before the game was released, that's what i did and it wasn't hard to find the download and a free beta key.

FYI for the post asking about beta and lifetime sub.  you didn't need to be in the beta to get the 1st lifetime subscription offer, you just needed to buy the PRE-order game from an online store, they gave the "founder" code in the box that gave u the offer.

and to finish this post..... how many WOW'ers are over 2 year players now? do you think they would have liked the lifetime offer like the one we were offered, i think that's a big YES.

• KapazoKapazo Member UncommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by Cor4x
    Originally posted by Ainshent
    Originally posted by brostyn Maybe I am not understanding something. Didn't only beta testers get the lifetime subscription option? If so, why would you be really glad you didn't sign up for it? I played beta I knew it wasn't the game for me. Only a moron would buy the lifetime if they didn't like it in beta.
    I had gotten the pre-order beta from best buy, 2 of them....gave me a week or so of play before open beta, loved it.  Played during open beta, loved it.  When it was released I purchased the game, 2 of them....upon entering your code you had a choice of lifetime or the founders $9.99 month.  I clicked the $9.99 month deal.  You had until the end of that 1st free month to change your mind and take the lifetime offer for $199.99.   I almost changed it twice, cuz I was loving the game.   Then I started to get bored with it a little bit before my free month was up.  Went ahead and left it at the $9.99 deal because the free content release was coming soon.  Then I just reached that really bored point.......

Emphasis mine...
    That is an obvious sucker-play. I would never consider the life-time deal under those circumstances. If they would've left it whenever I wanted to choose (which would've benefited them financially by the way), I might've considered it at some point.
    It is obvious to me that they felt the game didn't have longevity and wanted to get some quick bucks early. Why else would they have offered the deal structured that way?

I was thinking the same but perhaps You have to pay for the expansions?

Originally posted by Kapazo

Originally posted by brostyn

Maybe I am not understanding something. Didn't only beta testers get the lifetime subscription option? If so, why would you be really glad you didn't sign up for it? I played beta I knew it wasn't the game for me. Only a moron would buy the lifetime if they didn't like it in beta.

I had gotten the pre-order beta from best buy, 2 of them....gave me a week or so of play before open beta, loved it.  Played during open beta, loved it.  When it was released I purchased the game, 2 of them....upon entering your code you had a choice of lifetime or the founders $9.99 month.  I clicked the $9.99 month deal.  You had until the end of that 1st free month to change your mind and take the lifetime offer for $199.99.   I almost changed it twice, cuz I was loving the game.   Then I started to get bored with it a little bit before my free month was up.  Went ahead and left it at the $9.99 deal because the free content release was coming soon.  Then I just reached that really bored point.......

Emphasis mine...

That is an obvious sucker-play. I would never consider the life-time deal under those circumstances. If they would've left it whenever I wanted to choose (which would've benefited them financially by the way), I might've considered it at some point.

It is obvious to me that they felt the game didn't have longevity and wanted to get some quick bucks early. Why else would they have offered the deal structured that way?

your sig says you are currently playing EQII, so I assume you already know how SOE operates. Small expansions such as the Evendim ( about 100 quests over 13 levels and a new zone ) will be free and some larger ones will require a purchased.

Considering I was paying 20 - 25 bucks a month for a SOE station pass for 3 years so I could play one good game and a few really mediocre to shitty ones, the lifetime sub is a bargain.  Now that SOE is charging 30 bucks for the station pass that would only be ten months even at 300 dollars for the Turbine Lifetime.

I miss DAoC

• Cor4xCor4x Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Maybe I am not understanding something. Didn't only beta testers get the lifetime subscription option? If so, why would you be really glad you didn't sign up for it? I played beta I knew it wasn't the game for me. Only a moron would buy the lifetime if they didn't like it in beta.

Emphasis mine...

your sig says you are currently playing EQII, so I assume you already know how SOE operates. Small expansions such as the Evendim ( about 100 quests over 13 levels and a new zone ) will be free and some larger ones will require a purchased.

I assumed that you'd have to pay for the expansions. Most companies operate that way. (A few do not, I guess, like COV/COH and EVE.) It makes sense unless their operating costs > subscription intakes and churn from the client.

This stuff is NOT cheap to produce if you do not have good tools up front.

Considering I was paying 20 - 25 bucks a month for a SOE station pass for 3 years so I could play one good game and a few really mediocre to shitty ones, the lifetime sub is a bargain.  Now that SOE is charging 30 bucks for the station pass that would only be ten months even at 300 dollars for the Turbine Lifetime.

Holy crap! SOE is charging $30 for a station pass?!?! Yowch. With a station pass you're only paying for the option to switch games, as you can only play 1 game at a time. I think that is really badly priced. :(

On the other hand, you're only getting 1 game with LOTR, right? And a casual one at that, so the cost / time for the lifetime one would probably be... what $200.00 / 2 years or so at the outside? That's like $8.33 / month which isn't nearly enough in my opinion to assume the risk that the company is going to produce a fun and viable product.

+ You have no option to suspend or wait for that account to improve.

I'm thinking though, as jackdog said above, if you're the kind of person that puts a game on hold for 6+ months then comes back to it, and don't like canceling and re-logging into a game, this might be an acceptable deal.

It just seems really overpriced to me.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

I know that I'm going to get something wicked for this, but I actually liked Vanguard BETTER than LoTRO. Don't get me wrong: I quit Vanguard after less than 3 months, but I could never get myself to like LoTRO.

For all of Vanguard's buggyness and lack of content, it had a very interactive combat system with lots of moves and great class diversity.

It could have also been the complete lack of PvP that did it for me (at least it wasn't in beta.. except for the preview of it, since the lvl cap was 15 and I still didn't like the system).

I really didn't like how you had to wait a while for the execution of a lot of moves, which made combat slow and drudging at times and I also didn't like the forced grouping for storyline aspect.

I was just a hair's breadth away from getting the pre-order monthly discount too, but when I remembered that I really never enjoyed the game as I had other games... I came to my senses.

If you're enjoying this game, then I'm happy for you.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Originally posted by Jackdog

Emphasis mine...

I assumed that you'd have to pay for the expansions. Most companies operate that way. (A few do not, I guess, like COV/COH and EVE.) It makes sense unless their operating costs > subscription intakes and churn from the client.

This stuff is NOT cheap to produce if you do not have good tools up front.

Holy crap! SOE is charging $30 for a station pass?!?! Yowch. With a station pass you're only paying for the option to switch games, as you can only play 1 game at a time. I think that is really badly priced. :(

On the other hand, you're only getting 1 game with LOTR, right? And a casual one at that, so the cost / time for the lifetime one would probably be... what $200.00 / 2 years or so at the outside? That's like $8.33 / month which isn't nearly enough in my opinion to assume the risk that the company is going to produce a fun and viable product.

+ You have no option to suspend or wait for that account to improve.

I'm thinking though, as jackdog said above, if you're the kind of person that puts a game on hold for 6+ months then comes back to it, and don't like canceling and re-logging into a game, this might be an acceptable deal.

It just seems really overpriced to me.

AC1 has had over 80 updates now and still has a small player base after 8 years. Turbine has a heck of a track record with it at least for delivering lots of content.

I figure LoTRO will be good for 5 plus years and at least 20 months of actual play time. So for me that is 10 bucks a mopnth minimum. I shell at least three times  that out for EQII and SWG on a sttion pass over the last 3 years. Station pass was a bargain at 20 bucks a month but then last May they bumped to 25 then after Vanguard tanked they went up to 30. Now they have POBS which will probably be a decent game they can bump again LOL

I miss DAoC