Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just bought this game?

Hello There,

I bought this game and hope to recieve it on Monday, I've not played a MMORPG since WoW and did give the beta ago and quite enjoyed it, to be honest I got the game on the cheap (£10 for it) so thought I'd give it a bash properly. I do have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer me.

1. I do like roleplaying and I've read 'The fellowship of the ring' , 'The two towers' and most of 'the return of the king' trouble is I don't know a massive amount of Lord of the Rings Lore, so I was wondering how much of Lotr Online is filled with fulltime lore roleplayers (basically the bunch who won't speak to you if you don't know the name of Legolas's horse or something). It was a problem I had in WoW and destroyed my enjoyment of the game, just because I didn't know part of the WoW history.

2. I know theres a roleplaying server on the European servers, whats it like? is there a good bunch of roleplayers? Do events take place and parties, social activities and pub related things?

3. Are Turbine considering trying Player Housing? I have to admit that my time with SWG as affected my time with other MMORPG's because I like the idea of games having Player Houses or apparentments, makes you feel more part of the world? I noticed that farming was a craft and wondered if that was involved with it?

4. How big is the world at the moment?

and finally,

5. What kind of age group mostly plays Lotr Online? I have to admit that I got sick of the young gamer age of players in WoW.

I'm actually trying a few other MMORPG's again to find one I can enjoy, 

Thanks if you answer any of my questions, I appriate it.

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by SaitanMar

Hello There,
    I bought this game and hope to recieve it on Monday, I've not played a MMORPG since WoW and did give the beta ago and quite enjoyed it, to be honest I got the game on the cheap (£10 for it) so thought I'd give it a bash properly. I do have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer me.

1. I do like roleplaying and I've read 'The fellowship of the ring' , 'The two towers' and most of 'the return of the king' trouble is I don't know a massive amount of Lord of the Rings Lore, so I was wondering how much of Lotr Online is filled with fulltime lore roleplayers (basically the bunch who won't speak to you if you don't know the name of Legolas's horse or something). It was a problem I had in WoW and destroyed my enjoyment of the game, just because I didn't know part of the WoW history.
    Most of our guild has some knoledge and sometimes in guild chat we will discuss things relating to the lore. However most of the hard core Simalarion thumpers left in beta because the game was not a UO clone sandbox.

2. I know theres a roleplaying server on the European servers, whats it like? is there a good bunch of roleplayers? Do events take place and parties, social activities and pub related things?
    North American here however I can say Turbine certainly gives the oportunity. At the moment there is a mid summer festival complete with a pub crawl quest, pie eating contests, fireworks and special foods and a number of other RP friendly content.

3. Are Turbine considering trying Player Housing? I have to admit that my time with SWG as affected my time with other MMORPG's because I like the idea of games having Player Houses or apparentments, makes you feel more part of the world? I noticed that farming was a craft and wondered if that was involved with it?
    Player housing will be in sometime this fall from what Turbine has been saying. Not sure if farming will be involved in it, however I am hoping for DAoC style instanced housing which may have yards and flower gardens and veggie plots. That would be some nice fluff .

Large enough to where I regretted not taking the fast travel option from Bree to Rivendell yesterday LOL. I used my player owned mount. A lot of content is packed in that area also. A lot of area still to go also, if you look at a map of Middle Earth you will see that less than a tenth is now in game. So far Turbine has added one new area with 100 + new quests since release in a free expansion, and eventually the entire Middle Earth map will be ingame. So there is a ton left to get in, most expansions will be free others will cost.

and finally,

5. What kind of age group mostly plays Lotr Online? I have to admit that I got sick of the young gamer age of players in WoW.

It's varied. Most of my kinship ( guild ) are older and a few are retirees. Going by my PUG experience I would guess it is varied though. I have seen a few bunny hoppers and "look at me ain't I cute sitting in the milestone fire pot"  types but not too many.

I miss DAoC

• Thanks for your answers, nice to see player housing being considered in the game. Be interesting to see how they do player housing, if they actualy go for plots of land or appartments like EQ2. Would be nice to have your own little piece of land where you can build a farm and decorate the insides of your house.

Thanks for the information, I look forward to playing it.

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

Thanks for your answers, nice to see player housing being considered in the game. Be interesting to see how they do player housing, if they actualy go for plots of land or appartments like EQ2. Would be nice to have your own little piece of land where you can build a farm and decorate the insides of your house.

Thanks for the information, I look forward to playing it.

Player housing will be in the book 11 content update, from what i heard there might be instanced neighbourhoods.

• nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

Hello There,
    I bought this game and hope to recieve it on Monday, I've not played a MMORPG since WoW and did give the beta ago and quite enjoyed it, to be honest I got the game on the cheap (£10 for it) so thought I'd give it a bash properly. I do have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer me.1. I do like roleplaying and I've read 'The fellowship of the ring' , 'The two towers' and most of 'the return of the king' trouble is I don't know a massive amount of Lord of the Rings Lore, so I was wondering how much of Lotr Online is filled with fulltime lore roleplayers (basically the bunch who won't speak to you if you don't know the name of Legolas's horse or something). It was a problem I had in WoW and destroyed my enjoyment of the game, just because I didn't know part of the WoW history.2. I know theres a roleplaying server on the European servers, whats it like? is there a good bunch of roleplayers? Do events take place and parties, social activities and pub related things?3. Are Turbine considering trying Player Housing? I have to admit that my time with SWG as affected my time with other MMORPG's because I like the idea of games having Player Houses or apparentments, makes you feel more part of the world? I noticed that farming was a craft and wondered if that was involved with it?4. How big is the world at the moment?and finally,5. What kind of age group mostly plays Lotr Online? I have to admit that I got sick of the young gamer age of players in WoW.I'm actually trying a few other MMORPG's again to find one I can enjoy, Thanks if you answer any of my questions, I appriate it.

1. There are a lot of people who are very immersed in the lore, but I haven't found them to be 'snooty' in any way; with the release of LOTRO comes a surge in interest in the lore of middle earth, wikis and websites are springing up everywhere. I have friends in the game who have only seen the movies, and some who have read every scrap of paper Tolkein ever looked at. I think that if you're more familiar with the lore, you'll get a bit more depth out of the game, but I wouldn't say its a requirement.

2. Don't play on Euro, so not sure. The US roleplaying server didn't seem very RP-ish to me, but you probably have a better chance of a more mature community here tha a normal server.

3. Rumor has it Player Housing is due in October

4. Quite small, actually, though Evendim made it bigger. Don't let small fool you into thinking it wont take an hour to get somewhere, it will ;) By small I mean that areas where you have to go to kill X mobs for a quest are often camped and crowded and you'll find yourself waiting or trying to compete to tag with 8 people. At any given level you have 1 or 2 places you can really go (Evendim added a 3rd for lvl 20-35). The zones are large with usually 2-3 'outposts' or towns in them where you can get quests. However, if you look at the 'world map' you can see what areas there will eventually be, and I think it will be one of the bigger games. I'm not saying small as a bad thing either, though making an alt is mind numblingly boring since you do all the exact same quests over again - small ensures that the content functions properly; Vanguard for example had a huge huge world but none of it worked, I think that this approach, opening the world slowly, is much more preferable.

5. From Age 10 to Age 90. Are there less kiddies than WoW? Yes. Are there still kiddies? Oh yes. I actually have all my global/regional/etc. chat channels turned OFF permanently due to the rampant stupidity. But it isn't as bad as WoW. ;)

Overall, if you play games casually and to roleplay and make friends, this will probably be a good fit for you. If you like achievement, seeing your character progress, the ability to customize your character's growth, and challenging content - this game will get old after about a month. I'm not bashing the game, its just not for everyone.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• Shadow4482Shadow4482 Member Posts: 230

You'll love the age group in LOTRO. Almost in every zone you'll be talking about Star Trek and DND in general chat.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by nynniva

Hello There,

and finally,

1. There are a lot of people who are very immersed in the lore, but I haven't found them to be 'snooty' in any way; with the release of LOTRO comes a surge in interest in the lore of middle earth, wikis and websites are springing up everywhere. I have friends in the game who have only seen the movies, and some who have read every scrap of paper Tolkein ever looked at. I think that if you're more familiar with the lore, you'll get a bit more depth out of the game, but I wouldn't say its a requirement.

2. Don't play on Euro, so not sure. The US roleplaying server didn't seem very RP-ish to me, but you probably have a better chance of a more mature community here tha a normal server.

3. Rumor has it Player Housing is due in October

4. Quite small, actually, though Evendim made it bigger. Don't let small fool you into thinking it wont take an hour to get somewhere, it will ;) By small I mean that areas where you have to go to kill X mobs for a quest are often camped and crowded and you'll find yourself waiting or trying to compete to tag with 8 people. At any given level you have 1 or 2 places you can really go (Evendim added a 3rd for lvl 20-35). The zones are large with usually 2-3 'outposts' or towns in them where you can get quests. However, if you look at the 'world map' you can see what areas there will eventually be, and I think it will be one of the bigger games. I'm not saying small as a bad thing either, though making an alt is mind numblingly boring since you do all the exact same quests over again - small ensures that the content functions properly; Vanguard for example had a huge huge world but none of it worked, I think that this approach, opening the world slowly, is much more preferable.

5. From Age 10 to Age 90. Are there less kiddies than WoW? Yes. Are there still kiddies? Oh yes. I actually have all my global/regional/etc. chat channels turned OFF permanently due to the rampant stupidity. But it isn't as bad as WoW. ;)

Overall, if you play games casually and to roleplay and make friends, this will probably be a good fit for you. If you like achievement, seeing your character progress, the ability to customize your character's growth, and challenging content - this game will get old after about a month. I'm not bashing the game, its just not for everyone.

really going by your all of your past posts about the game I would have to argue that point LOL, in fact has there ever been any MMO you had anything positive to say anything about ?  Edit jusdt found one where you said liked Anarchy Online, so never mind.

I miss DAoC

• dand3dand3 Member Posts: 241

Hello There,
    I bought this game and hope to recieve it on Monday, I've not played a MMORPG since WoW and did give the beta ago and quite enjoyed it, to be honest I got the game on the cheap (£10 for it) so thought I'd give it a bash properly. I do have a few questions that I hope some of you can answer me.  A late answer, but good questions, so...

1. I do like roleplaying and I've read 'The fellowship of the ring' , 'The two towers' and most of 'the return of the king' trouble is I don't know a massive amount of Lord of the Rings Lore, so I was wondering how much of Lotr Online is filled with fulltime lore roleplayers (basically the bunch who won't speak to you if you don't know the name of Legolas's horse or something). It was a problem I had in WoW and destroyed my enjoyment of the game, just because I didn't know part of the WoW history.There are some amazingly knowledgeable players in game (North America) but they're not pushy about it or RP hardcases.  The game itself will pass on some lore, especially in the epic quest lines.

2. I know theres a roleplaying server on the European servers, whats it like? is there a good bunch of roleplayers? Do events take place and parties, social activities and pub related things?Yes, summer solstice holidays and celebrations now, ending soon.

3. Are Turbine considering trying Player Housing? I have to admit that my time with SWG as affected my time with other MMORPG's because I like the idea of games having Player Houses or apparentments, makes you feel more part of the world? I noticed that farming was a craft and wondered if that was involved with it?Dev posts have indicated that it will be instanced neighborhoods, probably with some guild structures.  Landscapable, prebuilt houses, furnishable.  All probables from the devs, no hard promises or spoilers.

4. How big is the world at the moment?A game that was in development trouble pushed size hard, as it was their main selling point... So their v err fanbois ran around questioning the size of other games.  Actually, if you explore off the roads, the place is big.  Especially when you include the instanced areas.  And the content is dense.  As an aside, the terrain is an amazing mix of realism and fantasy, and very detailed.

and finally,

5. What kind of age group mostly plays Lotr Online? I have to admit that I got sick of the young gamer age of players in WoW. The free events like open beta and the stress tests pulled in significant numbers of Blizzkids.  Since then, many fewer.  The game is subtle and deep in ways that don't appeal to them; and no newbganking??? No fun!
    Retirees, shutins, parents, and the children of members pretty well make up our kinship.  Pickup groups can still be spotty, but in general are pretty good nowadays.