Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sticks and stone may break bones, but words will never hurt me?

ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

I lived in England for six years so I was shocked when I read this article on Gamasutra.com http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14522  Evidently a woman got her bra in a twist when she scored poorly on a test and the game called her something offensive.    Absolutely hillarious!  She got so upset that she reported it to the media and Ubisoft is pulling the game off the shelves.  This coming from a country that created Roma Victor where they hang avatars in the public square when they get caught cheating ingame, where "the bird" is as common as McDonald and your local pub, and where everyone who even remotely upsets you is a "wanker".   I guess she finally got called the MORON she is and she didn't like it too well.   

The only people I feel sorry for in this case is Ubisoft.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

Comments

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

I'd say that she had a fair point in this case.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by EggFtegg

Yea i feel sorry for both her and Ubisoft really.

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

I couldn't find what the game called her, but from reading a couple of articles I'm coming to the conclusion that the game called her a retard.

Didn't help that she was pregnant and waiting to have her child.

Seems rather silly to me, but I could see why some people would take offense to it.

Wish Darkfall would release.

Originally posted by Urdig

I couldn't find what the game called her, but from reading a couple of articles I'm coming to the conclusion that the game called her a retard.
    Seems rather silly to me, but I could see why some people would take offense to it.
    Are you not seeing the pic I posted? Maybe this site might work for you http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/29/ubisoft-pulls-mindquiz-for-offensive-language/

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

Are you not seeing the pic I posted? Maybe this site might work for you http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/29/ubisoft-pulls-mindquiz-for-offensive-language/

Spastic?  That's hardly something to be offended about though. 

Edit:  I should be more clear.  I couldn't possibly see pulling a game because it called someone spastic.  Therefore I find it retarded.  I was a little to criptic, and apologize.  Nor could I find anything that stated exactly what the game called her.

Also because of this: Nicola was shocked when she had performed poorly at one part of the game and it rated her efforts in a manner derogatory to the disabled.

How is spastic used to describe the disabled? 

Another also, the article you linked clearly stated tha the BBC never got into exactly what the game called her.  The pic you provided was a source for the game, and not exactly what she was called from what I read. 

3rd.  Also:  From the article you linked: We have no idea what the word is.

PS: I am suffering an incredibly painfull migraine at the moment.  I apologize.

Wish Darkfall would release.

Spastic?  That's hardly something to be offended about though. 
    Edit:  I should be more clear.  I couldn't possibly see pulling a game because it called someone spastic.  Therefore I find it retarded.  I was a little to criptic, and apologize.  Nor could I find anything that stated exactly what the game called her.
    Also because of this: Nicola was shocked when she had performed poorly at one part of the game and it rated her efforts in a manner derogatory to the disabled.
    How is spastic used to describe the disabled? 
    Another also, the article you linked clearly stated tha the BBC never got into exactly what the game called her.  The pic you provided was a source for the game, and not exactly what she was called from what I read. 
     3rd.  Also:  From the article you linked: We have no idea what the word is.
    PS: I am suffering an incredibly painfull migraine at the moment.  I apologize.

The article I linked to was later updated to include that picture.

I guess the connotation for the word may be different where you are from, but for the UK market, "spastic" is an extremely inappropriate word to use, in the context the game uses it - to the point that's it's pretty funny it even got through as a translation at all. The Wiki explanation should clear things up -  in fact this story has already become part of the description.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I guess the phrase "Stupid fat tetchy cow" would've taken up too much space for a DS lite?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I lol'd irl. 

O_o o_O

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Ok...Ok...Cheesy irony alert.

Irony being that she was called "spastic", and "spazzed" out, over being called, "spastic". I absolutely love it.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

What is offensive about "spastic"?  I can't believe they would pull a game because of that word.  It is common american english slang to call someone a spaz (which is short for spastic).

It boggles my mind people get so bent out of shape over sounds and words.  Aren't there more important things to get bent out of shape about?

I am bent out of shape because we have victomless laws in a supposed free country that restricts my personal freedom.  That is something worth getting bent out of shape over.