Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video that made me say, wow....

kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

www.youtube.com/watch

That was pretty disturbing because I know this happens sometimes in my town.  I've seen it.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Thats not disturbing, its just a couple of cops doing their job.  The kids broke the law, they got arrested, happens everyday.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

This is what happens when stupidass sk8ter boi's dont know how to read, and/or lack common sence.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Stupid kids.  All that video shows is them resisting arrest.  Swearing at the cops. Being a menace and disturbing the peace.  They got what they deserve.  I don't care if all they did was skateboard.  If it is against the law then they got what they deserve.  They should of just stopped when they were told to.  You could hear at the beginning that the police officer had told him to stop and the kid refused. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by kel11

www.youtube.com/watch

That was pretty disturbing because I know this happens sometimes in my town.  I've seen it.

I agree completely. Those cops were some real softies: In Singapore, they would have gotten 100 lashings each.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Skateboarding is not a crime...but vandalism is...I can't stand seeing little skate punks destroying private property and being a general nousance to pedestrians.  That cop did nothing wrong.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• PunkMonkPunkMonk Member Posts: 483

wait wait wait wait.. Are you guys kidding me?

Only one person in the entire video was resisting arrest. The kid who ran away when the cop told him to stay. Cursing and talking back to the cop doesn't qualify you at all for resisting arrest. The first kid took the hand cuffs not a problem. The girl and the other kid took the cuffs with a little struggle, like they were trying to get away. The little shrug and pull they gave also, doesn't qualify for resisting arrest.

Yes, in some public areas it's illegal to skate. You know, those "No socilizing, skating, skate boarding, or biking signs?"  disobeying the signs definently does not qualify for being thrown to the floor and choked. Actually, you're only supposed to be ticketed.  There was no evidence on the the tape that anyone, other than the kid who obviously ran away, showed that  the group was resisting arrest. Unless there were witnesses, oral "evidence" doesn't mean anything.

The cop was the definate antagonist in this situation. I hope he got his badge taken away.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Punkmonk did you notice the video showed nothing of what happened before the cop had the kid on the ground?  Theres probably a good reason for that; so these idiots could make the video look like they did nothing wrong.

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

Punkmonk did you notice the video showed nothing of what happened before the cop had the kid on the ground?  Theres probably a good reason for that; so these idiots could make the video look like they did nothing wrong.

exactly, and the title : "He was arrested...for skateboarding" is pure bullshit as well...that tells about 1/10 of the actual story in 100% of these cases with crying skatepunks.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

On Digg.com the whole story was discussed at infinitum.

Now a little update:

Here's an interesting blog voicing a part of my opinion.

Apparently there's enough to investigate that the cop is to be in paid leave.

The charges for the kids are resisting arrest and... skateboarding on the sidewalk, like the vids title said.

Draenor. Those kids weren't planning to vandalize anything. If so then they'd be really, really stupid to do it right there. I take it there's enough places to vandalize something that are more out of sight. BTW, does the sentence "Innocent until proven otherwise" tell you anything? Also: skateboarding does not equal vandalism.

About arresting: If you don't live in the police state many claim the US is then people should be told their rights when arrested and the charges because of which they are arrested, which took a long while for the police officer to come up with.

• RoyspiRoyspi Member Posts: 202

EVen if the kids were vandalizing it theres plenty of crap going on that the cop had no right to do. First of all like the above poster said they didnt get their rights read to them. Second, only one of them resisted. Third, lol.. fat cop couldnt catch the runner 

Still.. those are soft cops for sure...

The skaters are smart. They gave no evidence of what they did before hand. I'm sure there were doing something illegal, the cop wouldn't of strangled a kid if they did nothing. Thing is, there was no evidence that anything happened before that kid was thrown on the floor.

• ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Royspi

EVen if the kids were vandalizing it theres plenty of crap going on that the cop had no right to do. First of all like the above poster said they didnt get their rights read to them. Second, only one of them resisted. Third, lol.. fat cop couldnt catch the runner 
    Incorrect, two resisted arrest, and that was the girl. He told her to sit down, she said no, and attempts to leave, so the Cop goes after her, and she tries to fight him off. Big mistake, you do as you are told to do by a Cop. I don't care if she is a girl, she sould of just sat down and did as she was told to do.

Also, the other boy shouldn't of ran. Whats the point in running? He just made himself look even worse for the Jury by doing so.

I honestly don't care what they were doing before. They clearly messed up by not doing what the Cop told them too do, mouthing off (figures) and resisting arrest. They deserve whatever they get for all of that.

• ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by PunkMonk

The skaters are smart. They gave no evidence of what they did before hand. I'm sure there were doing something illegal, the cop wouldn't of strangled a kid if they did nothing. Thing is, there was no evidence that anything happened before that kid was thrown on the floor.

Thats what he ment. It's easy to see that the boy with the camera didn't start shooting till the other boy was on the ground, to make them all look like innocent vicitms.

If they really wanted to run then why didn't they when the officer was busy holding the kid on the ground?

Well, one of them did. And as the officer chased that guy, none of the others even tried to get away. Frankly, that's rather stupid.

Also, where in the law does it say you have to "sit down" when an officer says so? Perhaps you're required to do so AFTER you were arrested, maybe.

I think they were very cooperative.

And...

"Can you give my hat?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because you're going to jail."

Oh come on...

Perhpas the reasons for the officers intervention were justified but the way in which he acted was just absurd and wasn't at all constructive.

• TuutobTuutob Member Posts: 607

I think, overall, the kids started it. But, the cop took everything to an extreme and there's no justifiable reason for an ogre like him to put 2 idle kids into a headlock.

But again, that one kid shouldn't have been aggravating the cop by saying things like '...because we were riding pieces of wood...', '...because we were skating...'

Overall, both parties did many things wrong from a political point of view, but anyone can see that the cop went too far physically.

Originally posted by ShakaAutunn

Originally posted by Royspi

Incorrect, two resisted arrest, and that was the girl. He told her to sit down, she said no, and attempts to leave, so the Cop goes after her, and she tries to fight him off. Big mistake, you do as you are told to do by a Cop. I don't care if she is a girl, she sould of just sat down and did as she was told to do.

The girl was "resisting arrest without violence" which is a nothing crime. That's not an offence you can be ticketed for. Now, if the girl was whailing around when the cop grabbed her and she elbowed him in the face, that's a problem. Resisting arrest with violence, which, well, is a crime.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Originally posted by Draenor

Skateboarding is not a crime...but vandalism is...I can't stand seeing little skate punks destroying private property and being a general nousance to pedestrians.  That cop did nothing wrong.
    Nousance = nuisance

Forgive me, Draenor.  It's just that you correct people, so I felt it fair. 

===============================

Originally posted by MadAce

Now a little update:

The charges for the kids are resisting arrest and... skateboarding on the sidewalk, like the vids title said.

Draenor. Those kids weren't planning to vandalize anything. If so then they'd be really, really stupid to do it right there. I take it there's enough places to vandalize something that are more out of sight. BTW, does the sentence "Innocent until proven otherwise" tell you anything? Also: skateboarding does not equal vandalism.

About arresting: If you don't live in the police state many claim the US is then people should be told their rights when arrested and the charges because of which they are arrested, which took a long while for the police officer to come up with.

Vandalism doesn't necessarily imply that they were going with the intent to destroy anything.  When skateboarders grind and do different tricks on the sidewalk, it tears up the pavement and requires maintinence from the city, which in turn costs money.  Skateboarders should skate in skate parks and on their own property, not someone elses.

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Nousance = nuisance

Forgive me, Draenor.  It's just that you correct people, so I felt it fair. 

I've never denied that my spelling is attrocious...I only correct people for spelling if they mispell a word so bad as to make it into a different word with an entirely different meaning.  if that's the first time that you've noticed a typo of mine then I think I'm doing a better job than I give myself credit for :)

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

No matter what your opinion of skateboarding.  Grabbing a child by the throat isn't allowed.  Especially when that child is laying on the ground already.

The cop didn't seem to interested in the other kids till the one that took the picture informed him that he had taken it. 

Wish Darkfall would release.

Originally posted by MadAce

Now a little update:

Vandalism doesn't necessarily imply that they were going with the intent to destroy anything.  When skateboarders grind and do different tricks on the sidewalk, it tears up the pavement and requires maintinence from the city, which in turn costs money.  Skateboarders should skate in skate parks and on their own property, not someone elses.

Good point. But you seem to forget it's also a means of transportation. When using skateboards just to get places it's pretty hard to damage stuff. The area shown in the vid didn't look like a place where there's a lot to do tricks on either. Could be just me and my untrained eye tho.

You also mentioned little skate punks damaging private property. As far as I know the sidewalk is public property so I think you did intend to suggest "little skate punks" want to destroy things.

Hey, let's compare the annual damage caused by skateboards to the annual damage caused by cars. Only difference (besides for the amount of money spent on repairs) is that the latter is accepted by society to be a necessary evil...

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

You guys seem to forget that in a lot of places (I know the Tampa Bay area) it is illegal to skateboard.  Not just to do tricks or anything, but it is not considered a valid or allowable form of transportation.  I am sorry if you guys have a problem with that.  Then petition your government.  What you do not do is go out and skateboard anyway and then ignore the police officer's authority.  That is what causes problems in our society.  If kids won't listen to him when he tells them to stop skateboarding are they going to listen to him when he says don't steal that TV?  A crime is a crime and if they are willing to commit it then they better be willing to suffer the concequences(sp?). 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

The cop was an ass. That's pretty simple to see.

No matter whether you dislike skaters or not, the cop went over the limit.

The kid on the ground: Whether he was resisting arrest or not is yet to be seen. By the way he reacted when the cop ran off, I'd say he probably was not resisting arrest. If he had resisted arrest beforehand, his behavior on camera was very intelligent. Point being though, choking a 14 year old kid on the ground is idiotic, and illegal.

The Kid running: Not much to say about that except that I lol'ed.

The girl: As someone else already pointed out, just because a cop tells you to sit down, does not mean you have to. There are certain things that when requested to do, you are obliged to do it under the law, but chasing her down and man-handling her was uncalled for. He put her in a chokehold.

The other kid: Can understand why he reacted the way he did. Seeing some fat angry cop put a teenage girl in a choke-hold is pretty messed up.

Can't figure out why he arrested the kid with the camera. Overall, the cop did alot of wrong things, and with a good enough lawyer, the city could get sued badly.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

the cop was over the line for sure.

But mind you he didn't stop when the cop told him to which is evading arrest.

If he had stopped the worst the cop could have done was a citiation.......

bottom line the skater was a retard.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Urdig

No matter what your opinion of skateboarding.  Grabbing a child by the throat isn't allowed.  Especially when that child is laying on the ground already.
    The cop didn't seem to interested in the other kids till the one that took the picture informed him that he had taken it. 

Look closer at the vid, he didnt grab him by the throat, not even close.  He has his forearm across his jawline.