Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

white male priviledge. Does it still exist today?

124»

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Okay, I didn't read through the entire pissing contest that coldmeat is a part of nor did I read the wall of words study earlier on in this thread. However, I would like to point out a few key counterpoints to some common observations.

The first being the popularity of hip hop and the criminalization of black men. Keep in mind that these things are controlled by the media. Yes, the media follows what the public wants, but if the majority of the public (white people) want to see images of black male criminals then the media will provide it. Also keep in mind that there are only a hand full of corporations that actually own the media. Let's take a look at all the CEOs of those companies.

Jeffrey R. Immelt - General Electric/NBC

Richard Dean Parsons - Time Warner

Robert A. Iger - Disney

Philippe Dauman - Viacom

Rupert Murdoch - News Corporation (Fox)

Sir Howard Stringer - Sony

My, my...... Just look at all the white faces This leads directly into one of the quotes I want to respond to.

How about the Caucasion entertainment network?

By now it should be clear that ALL television networks are caucasian entertainment networks by default. There's only one black channel and maybe two Spanish channels, depending on where you live. To be fair though, there's usually only one Christian channel as well.

united negro college fund? yea someone try and make a united caucasion college fund.

Statistically, white people have a higher income level on average than blacks and hispanics. Asians have a higher income, on average than whites. At any rate, there are scholarships for Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans, etc, that are considered white people by the US standard. Don't forget that there are also racially agnostic scholarships that are open to anyone with the SAT numbers studying within a particular field.

Ever seen an all white TV show?

The Honeymooners, Dick Van Dyke, Leave It To Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Growning Pains, Eight Is Enough, Family Ties, Bonanza...do I really have to continue?

About a month aggo i saw in the paper where the local black groups in maryland ( I could be wrong about the state) are trying to force the government to appologise for haveing slaves.

Yes, that's certainly awful alright..... We all know how much a sentence beginning with "the State of Maryland is sorry for..." will cost the tax payers. I mean really!! The legislators of the state could be using the five minutes it would take to write that for something really important..... like improving their golf game.....

OMG noone alive today has ever owned a slave

Nope, they've only inherited money that was made by their plantation owning SLAVE OWNING great great grandparents. We're only TWO GENERATIONS from slavery in America, it probably wouldn't hurt if you kept that in mind. As a white person, you benefit from slavery in ways that you are largely unaware of. Take the time to look and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Cheers everybody

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Okay, I didn't read through the entire pissing contest that coldmeat is a part of nor did I read the wall of words study earlier on in this thread. However, I would like to point out a few key counterpoints to some common observations.
    The first being the popularity of hip hop and the criminalization of black men. Keep in mind that these things are controlled by the media. Yes, the media follows what the public wants, but if the majority of the public (white people) want to see images of black male criminals then the media will provide it. Also keep in mind that there are only a hand full of corporations that actually own the media. Let's take a look at all the CEOs of those companies.
    Jeffrey R. Immelt - General Electric/NBC
    Richard Dean Parsons - Time Warner
    Robert A. Iger - Disney
    Philippe Dauman - Viacom
    Rupert Murdoch - News Corporation (Fox)
    Sir Howard Stringer - Sony

My, my...... Just look at all the white faces This leads directly into one of the quotes I want to respond to.
    How about the Caucasion entertainment network?
    By now it should be clear that ALL television networks are caucasian entertainment networks by default. There's only one black channel and maybe two Spanish channels, depending on where you live. To be fair though, there's usually only one Christian channel as well.
    united negro college fund? yea someone try and make a united caucasion college fund.
    Statistically, white people have a higher income level on average than blacks and hispanics. Asians have a higher income, on average than whites. At any rate, there are scholarships for Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans, etc, that are considered white people by the US standard. Don't forget that there are also racially agnostic scholarships that are open to anyone with the SAT numbers studying within a particular field.
    Ever seen an all white TV show?
    The Honeymooners, Dick Van Dyke, Leave It To Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Growning Pains, Eight Is Enough, Family Ties, Bonanza...do I really have to continue?
    About a month aggo i saw in the paper where the local black groups in maryland ( I could be wrong about the state) are trying to force the government to appologise for haveing slaves.
    Yes, that's certainly awful alright..... We all know how much a sentence beginning with "the State of Maryland is sorry for..." will cost the tax payers. I mean really!! The legislators of the state could be using the five minutes it would take to write that for something really important..... like improving their golf game.....
    OMG noone alive today has ever owned a slave
    Nope, they've only inherited money that was made by their plantation owning SLAVE OWNING great great grandparents. We're only TWO GENERATIONS from slavery in America, it probably wouldn't hurt if you kept that in mind. As a white person, you benefit from slavery in ways that you are largely unaware of. Take the time to look and you'll see exactly what I mean.
    Cheers everybody
    You can say all you want about media prejudice but the fact is:

At year end 2005 there were 3,145 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,244 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 471 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

So it isn't just media bias that shows more criminalization in the Black community. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

At year end 2005 there were 3,145 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,244 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 471 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

And who is serving on the juries of these cases? hmmm.... We also know that our judicial system is 100% accurate and completely immune to abuse by a prejudicial jury made up of people programmed by media propaganda.....

And remember, those are people that were exonerated before they got killed. There are an incredible number of people that were killed before the introduction of DNA evidence. Let's also not forget the related subject matter of blacks receiving harsher sentencing than whites who committed the same crimes.

Face it, there is no way to plausibly deny the presence of white privilege in American society.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

And who is serving on the juries of these cases? hmmm.... We also know that our judicial system is 100% accurate and completely immune to abuse by a prejudicial jury made up of people programmed by media propaganda.....
    And remember, those are people that were exonerated before they got killed. There are an incredible number of people that were killed before the introduction of DNA evidence. Let's also not forget the related subject matter of blacks receiving harsher sentencing than whites who committed the same crimes.
    Face it, there is no way to plausibly deny the presence of white privilege in American society.

First of all that number is for the people sentenced not killed.  I am sorry but you can not blame the increased criminal element on jury or justice system prejudice.  I think too many people confuse the privilege that rich people with racial privilege.  As we saw in the OJ trial race has nothing to do with rich people getting out of trouble.   If you are rich I don't care if you are bright red with a tail, a pitchfork, and horns you will still most likely get out of trouble in our current legal system.  That isn't related to race. 

The fact that black on black crime is high has nothing to do with media prejudice.  I remember recently reading a news story about New Orleans.  There is a sheriff in Jefferson Parish that for the longest time the NAACP claimed was racist against Blacks.  After some more studies were done they actually changed their position and agreed with him about the extremely high black on black crime in the area and were trying to fix it. 

Crime isn't the only thing that is abnormally high in the black community.  The rate of men abandoning their children is higher as well.  It is unfortunate that these things are still an issue, but none of it has to do with White privilege or Media bias.  

Back onto the topic.  I think that most of the favoritism shown toward white males ended within the last 20 years.  Especially in the work place where more and more businesses are looking for females and minorities to fill positions.  

BTW an interesting tidbit on slave ownership:

www.smh.com.au/news/world/for-the-record-obama-descended-from-white-slave-owners/2007/03/02/1172338880761.html

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)