Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And if you don't like it, I'll get my grandmother! (the real powergamers)

What/who is a "power" game has been going on for sometime. For some reason people want to belive that it's children, (those under 21) that are the "power" gamers or collage age kids with no life and are to ugly to get girlfriends.

If that makes feel better, don't read the rest. Just keep chanting that to yourselfs over and over.

Since your still reading I'm assuming you are in fact interesting in learning a little about the real demographics of On-line gaming. Don't let this site fool you. The average MMORPG.com poster is about 18. The average MMORPG player is 28.

Case #1. In the below graphic you can see that MMORPG's players are either young males, or woman over 40's. But notice that the vast magority of players are over the age of 21.  Even more generally you can predict that the average person you meet will be over 23.

What's more interesting is why woman after the age 25 start playing games, and males over the same age stop.

In another recent study by AOL: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/02/11/video.games.women.reut/ 

"AOL, a unit of CNN's parent company Time Warner Inc. , released a study showing that U.S. women over the age of 40 spend nearly 50 percent more time each week playing online games than men and are more likely to play online games daily than men or teens. "

"More than a quarter of those women, the survey found, play their favorite games between midnight and 5 a.m."

While the polled woman tend to favor puzzle games, allot of that will still carry over in MMORPG's.

Back to Nick Yee.

The average person plays MMORPG's 17-25 hours a week. (before you get all holy about that this fact, remember the average male watchs 29 hours of TV a week, and the average female 34: http://www.state.sd.us/doh/Nutrition/TV.pdf)

Socializers tend to play an average of 8.5 hours MORE played per week.  The concept of "more time game = more achivement in game" is 100% false. It's how you use the time you have, not the amount of it that deterems your wealth in the game.
http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/000758.php

The short, short version.

The average player is quickly becoming your mothers and grandmothers. The whole concept that kids play MMORPG's is wrong. Kids play PS2 or GameCube.

The concept that "power" gamers play allot is wrong. They play about half as much that the average american is watching TV. Futher Soical players are the ones that are seldom logging out.

If your not happy with your game experance you have no one blame but yourself.

-=-=-=-=-
"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

*giggles*

The lie from Johny althought is still going on!  They are not focused on Solo or Grouping, folks always need to raid in order to achieve anything *worth it* for any aspect of the game, you want to tradeskill, go raid to get components LOL!   *go berserk at the lier*

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

By making that post you threaten to remove half the funny on this site. I never cease to laugh when someone makes a blind assumption that someone they're argueing with is 15 years old. Especially when it's me they're making the assumption about. As a side not, I play 30+ hours a week on average. There's something to be said for being past college age, I guess.

Speaking of age... I recently shaved off the beard I had been growing for about 5 or 6 months. The next day, I am at the gas station down the street, where I have been purchasing tobacco for a few months now. I had never been carded there before. Now, the same lady that has sold to me many times before suddenly needs my id. I don't get this. While I look younger than I am, I sure as hell don't look 18. My hair is the same as is has been since I started going there, and it wasn't as if my beard obscured half my face or something. Sure, it's not a big deal, unless I happen to have left my id at home or something. Then it becomes a pain in my ass. And it never fails, when they see my id, they stutter, and make some dumbass remark about how young I look, or how I'll be gratefull to be carded when I'm 40 or something, which just makes choking down the urge to jump the counter that much harder. Still, it could be worse I guess, I had some old lady at a bar tell me I had to be 25 to buy cigarettes once, even though my id clearly stated that I was 25 at the time. Best one was when I saw some retarded clerk at the grocery store refuse to sell booze to some 80+ year old man. They started raising quite a ruckus, much to my amusement, until the manager showed up to reign in the clerk.

Moral of the story? Not a damn thing, but it is funny as hell to watch an old guy and a borderline downsie go toe to toe over a bottle of thunderbird.

-------
    They panic, so just hold them down
    I could live like this
    I'm closing in; hate all around
    I could be like this
    Hearing them, them in my head
    How could they be so sweet... sweet?

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

I get carded just about anywhere I go. I'm 21, but look younger. I'm glad its like that. My father is almost 50 and he looks like hes in his late 30's. No balding in my family either.

Back on to the topic, i'm not really surprised at the statistics. Most women over 30 are stay at home moms or just stay at home period. So they have alot more time on there hands. Or they work part time and need something at home for all the free time. So they play games on the computer. At least, thats my hypothesis. I could be way off though image

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Coldmeat
    Moral of the story? Not a damn thing, but it is funny as hell to watch an old guy and a borderline downsie go toe to toe over a bottle of thunderbird.

I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be an end to that story...

In many states, it is a law that they must card everybody.

• rpgownagerpgownage Member Posts: 48
    The reason people say power gamers are ugly/fat/nerds etc. are because they are doing better then them.. In most cases the person cal ling them these names is usually the nerd/fat/ugly person.. me and my brother arent nerds, we are skinny and stay in shape.. but we are very good at games , we just have a nag for it.

Oh an nice research Clever_Glove image

"Stare at the Sun Im bored"

• NuggetNugget Member Posts: 113

lol 25!!!
    lol 21!!!

that sounds crazy, we get learner license at 14, drivers license at 16, bear/tabbaco/gambling at 18. thats in canada. but im 23 about to turn 24 and im nearly garunteed to get my ID checked wherever i go. And as far as age of players is concerned i think it depends all on what games they are.. i keep hearing there is so many female players... well ill bet you there all playing word games / solitare / puzzle / card stuff like that maby sims online second life pogo.com type online games. but i doubt you will see that 50% on battle.net hehe. i do notice though if i ask age of people in everquest most are 20-40. i got xbox live and when i go play anything on there its all kids under 20 for the most part, they dont shut up.

i dont think there is many females in mmorpgs/fighting/questing games personally.

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

Hmm... But how exactly did they get the information for these graphs? Surveys?

Because if thats how they did it it probably isn't even close to being accurate.. I know plenty of people that play girl characters but are guys in real life, so they could easily be lying.. again.

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    It doesnt really matter to me either way. I have talked to kids in the game that were 14-15 yrs old that spoke as if they were adults, and I have met guys in there 30's 40's that acted like a 7yr old.

• puffdragonpuffdragon Member Posts: 122

I've had a hoard of women that I used to play with in SWG. I know that some that were girls ingame were men, but it was all confessed and we even had a "post yer picutre" thread on our messageboard and we had the gambit of women, from lower 20's up to just over 40's...I'd say more than half were women.

Of course this is just all because I'm such a stud and the women flock to me ;)

Check out fan photos at conquer online... I see quite a few cute girls here. http://www.conqueronline.com/photo2/photo.htm

Also in Planetside there was quite a few cuties.

I know in SOF double helix there was a UK community with quite a few girls also.

In mmorpgs I think guys are still in the majority, but there are a buncha girlies out there too.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by jimothypetro

Because if thats how they did it it probably isn't even close to being accurate.. I know plenty of people that play girl characters but are guys in real life, so they could easily be lying.. again.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123320,00.html

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• DaShizDaShiz Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by jimothypetro

On the Gender and Age graph the total amount of particapants was 2843 people and only 404 of them were females, that means there was a 6:1 ratio of males to females which would seem about right. Also the information was probably not based upon players avatar gender.  As well, no study will be 100% correct, but I wouldnt doubt that it is pretty close to being as accurate as possible.

Great Post man, nicely done with identifying factual research upon the subject.

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

• AlistairAlistair Member UncommonPosts: 318

He quoted Nick Yee...Nick Yee is god when it comes to the MMORPG and MMO gaming facts in general.  His surveys have been running for years, and he's accumulated massive amounts of data on a bunch of different subjects.  Seeing as he's using this for his college major, I have no doubt that the facts are  substantial and truthfully documented.

http://www.nickyee.com/hub/home.html if you're interested, it's relly very interesting.

AHH! Run away from the monster! He's going to eat us!

Socializer 80% Explorer 73% Achiever 33% Killer 13%

Killer 100% Socializer 40% Explorer 33% Achiever 27%

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If I were your statistics instructor, I would give you an F only because there isn't a grade lower on the scale.

Your "Case 1" data doesn't even come close to supporting your conclusions about gender-age relations to computer gaming. When there is a "Case 1" there is always at the minimum a "Case 2". And you never cite the source for your data in this sample.

You don't appear to have much of a grasp of who AOL subscribers are or what they play. Of course you won't get any from just one 8-paragraph newspaper 'filler' article.

There are several other errors in interpretation and/or use of statistics in your post. But I won't assist you in writing your statistics paper any further.

The only statement in your post that I can come close to agreeing with is your last sentence. "If your not happy with your game experance you have no one blame but yourself."

--
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    Thomas Jefferson

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

I know of plenty of female gamers that play male characters, or pretend to be male in real life, simply so they don't have to put up with every desperate, lonely pervert harrassing them constantly. Having played females characters before, some of the things I've had people say to me was surprisingly shocking, even with my low opinon of my fellow human.

Tasky, if you find my posts to be too long, just skip over them.

-------
    They panic, so just hold them down
    I could live like this
    I'm closing in; hate all around
    I could be like this
    Hearing them, them in my head
    How could they be so sweet... sweet?

• UOAndrommieUOAndrommie Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Nugget

that sounds crazy, we get learner license at 14, drivers license at 16, bear/tabbaco/gambling at 18. thats in canada.

What part of Canada do you live in? Cause in most of Canada you get  a learner at 16 and license at 18. I've not heard of any place that lets you start driving at 14. I got my license at 16...fifteen years ago and that was the age to start driving. Crap the last thing we would need is a buch of kids graduating puplic school and allowed behind the wheel of a car!

And Beer/Smokes/Gambling at 19.

*A game does not rule all other games...espcially if it hasn't been released yet.*

*A game does not rule all other games...espcially if it hasn't been released yet.*

• NuggetNugget Member Posts: 113

alberta, i was driving my scooter to school at 14 lol there was a whole gang of us. but to drive a car you needed someone with a driver licence. they have tried a few times to raise it to 16 here though. 16 is license and 18 is strippers. maby thats why our insurance is so crazy here, for anyone under the age of 20 we have to pay about $2800-$3600 a year on a peice of crap.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

I am female, a stay at home mom, and in my upper 30's..and an avid mmmorpg gamer :P So, yea I am the 1 out of the 6 yay!

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Riverstar

I am female, a stay at home mom, and in my upper 30's..and an avid mmmorpg gamer :P So, yea I am the 1 out of the 6 yay!

imageimageimageimageimage

LOL