Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You're just doing it wrong.

retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

I've read many threads on this site that come from  hardcore raiders/pvpers.  What most of them amount to is that the game is boring and that TBC has just made more of the same while making old raid gear obsolete.

Most of these people have multiple max level characters and play every night for multiple hours.

I agree with them 100% of the time.  They wear the game out until every aspect of it is completed.  Their gear is at or near max, their rep is all exhalted, their pvp gear set is complete, and they are tired of it.

Why?

I hypothesize that these hardcore gamers are working against the core purpose of the game.  When you play Tomb Raider or Zelda you work and work until you have the game 100% completed, then what?  You stop playing the game, or only occasionally revisit it for nostaglia or to recreate a boss fight which you enjoyed.  The game's replay factor is small because you pay for the game once and the creators are satisfied with the 20 - 60 hours you spent to complete it. 

With World of Warcraft you pay 13 - 15 bucks a month to participate in a game with a set amount of content.  Although often patched the game's content can only increase so much.  Hardcore gamers eat this content so fast that they experience the same kind of finish and forget attitude.  The game then just becomes a Zelda or Tomb Raider with multiple players and occasional free levels.

Solution?  Either play more than one MMORPG, find something else to do 4 of 7 nights a week, or realize that at the top of the game you are going to run out of content faster than it can be produced.

For a year or so I played World of Warcraft.  I was by no means a hardcore gamer, and I always had more of the game to explore.  The content was fixed, but I never completed it all.  I had real life, other games, and I knew that the amount of time you play increases the risk of burn out.

So...

Next time you think about writing a "WoW sucks I beat it all" please realize that you are the one who regulates the speed at which you eat up the content.

Comments

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

A mmo should not be able to run out of stuff to do .... no matter how fast you go through it.

That is why pve endgames don't really work. Blizzard updates endgame more than any ive seen because they have to. if they had a different endgame which involves players instead of static ai there would always be something to do.

If you are behind the curve you don't even get to experience most of the raiding endgame so your missing most of the game.

Solution is to not play wow at all if you are hardcore and dont like the current do it all over again raiding plan.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Great perspective retro...let's sit back and read the numerous responses to follow.

Very intersting...

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

Originally posted by MarL

A mmo should not be able to run out of stuff to do .... no matter how fast you go through it.
    That is why pve endgames don't really work. Blizzard updates endgame more than any ive seen because they have to. if they had a different endgame which involves players instead of static ai there would always be something to do.
    If you are behind the curve you don't even get to experience most of the raiding endgame so your missing most of the game.
    Solution is to not play wow at all if you are hardcore and dont like the current do it all over again raiding plan.

I am not sure I understand your point.  Are you saying that players should run PvE content to an eventual PvP end?  So a raiding guild would basically only fight other players? 

Also, PvP content doesnt always create an endless amount of content.  If you play PvP as much as a hardcore player plays you are still going to experience burnout.

Regardless of what game it is playing for 20 - 40 hours a week is going to give you burnout.  It doesn't matter who you are fighting.

• winricwinric Member Posts: 14

Great post!

Totally agree with the OP

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by retrospectic

I am not sure I understand your point.  Are you saying that players should run PvE content to an eventual PvP end?  So a raiding guild would basically only fight other players? 
    Also, PvP content doesnt always create an endless amount of content.  If you play PvP as much as a hardcore player plays you are still going to experience burnout.
    Regardless of what game it is playing for 20 - 40 hours a week is going to give you burnout.  It doesn't matter who you are fighting.

Burnout is different than having done everything.

If you killed onyxia once or a thousand times its the same thing every time.

(insert any boss instead of onyxia)

Pvp has the possibilty for endless content depending how its done. Fighting static boss raids doesnt.

Lets take lineage 2... there sieges for castle ownership are pvp content that is a solid endgame.

Until they make bosses think and react I can not see boss raids being a solid endgame. They are a decent pre end game though.

Now if they make player made instances or soemthing that could be different every time, I think ryzom did something like that.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Not sure I agree.... I played WOW ... hardcore? I'm not sure... since I have a job/family and stuff I'd say I average 3 hours a night weekdays and more on the weekends....all a matter of  your perspective I suppose.

But my first lvl 60 was a Paladin, and I joined a raiding guild and was one of the first to tackle and drop Ragnaros.... but I didn't like raiding.... (and I really hated buffing every 5 minutes)

So i rerolled a Priest, lvl'd to 60, raiding in MC to Rag.... and didn't like raiding... so when we moved into BWL.... I left the alliance and rolled a  Mage on the horde side....

Got the mage to 60, joined a raiding guild, and found myself respecing frost to raid MC..... and decided I didn't like raiding....

So after 9 months I quit WOW for the first time...took a break, played GW and COH, came back to WOW and leveled a Druid to 60, joined a raiding guild, battled my way through to Nef, got about 1/2 through AQ 40...and decided I didn't like raiding....

Switched servers, joined a more casual raiding guild, one that let me go to bed at 11 pm, (instead of 1 or 2 am like the others) and they were slogging through MC to Rag... and I decided I didn't like raiding.....

Burnout?  Yea, l guess so, but not  because I played too much, ,I grew weary of the raiding (and all the farming I had to do to support it) and saw no other end game, so when details of TBC were released I realized that WOW had nothing to offer me, never would, and I left the game for good.

Its been 8 months now..and no regrets.  I'm now playing EVE, we'll have to wait and see if it offers me an end game that truly doesn't end....and if not...WAR is on the horizon....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

It's called "endgame," as in "the end."  It's the end of the game.  I don't know why some people expect it to be more fun at the end.  Books aren't better after the last page, unless it has a really good blurb on the back of the cover, but most people read that before they even open the thing. Movies aren't better after the end, unless you really, really enjoy closing credits. I don't know why people expect it to be different with an MMORPG.

The best stuff is in the middle of the game, not at the end. I like the beginning a bit too, but the end is really my least favorite part. I quit playing my Warrior when he reached 60 (pre-TBC) and barely played him after itw as released. I'm having more fun starting new characters.

Originally posted by MarL

Originally posted by retrospectic

Burnout is different than having done everything.

If you killed onyxia once or a thousand times its the same thing every time.

(insert any boss instead of onyxia)

Pvp has the possibilty for endless content depending how its done. Fighting static boss raids doesnt.

Lets take lineage 2... there sieges for castle ownership are pvp content that is a solid endgame.

Until they make bosses think and react I can not see boss raids being a solid endgame. They are a decent pre end game though.

Now if they make player made instances or soemthing that could be different every time, I think ryzom did something like that.

I think that PvP as endgame is interesting.  I also think player created content is interesting.  I also understand that World of Warcraft has not made a very elastic game.  The content is all driven in the same manner.  Instances are scripted from level 15 on.  Everything is very linear and it can eventually become tedious.

I think the main point is that this tedium can be avoided if the player paces himself.  The game has many avenues of play on their mainly linear path, but many players coast over this and become tired as their main source for fun is finished and become boring.

I think a game that introduces dynamic content in this genre will be the next big success.  We'll see.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Not sure I agree.... I played WOW ... hardcore? I'm not sure... since I have a job/family and stuff I'd say I average 3 hours a night weekdays and more on the weekends....all a matter of  your perspective I suppose.
    But my first lvl 60 was a Paladin, and I joined a raiding guild and was one of the first to tackle and drop Ragnaros.... but I didn't like raiding.... (and I really hated buffing every 5 minutes)
    So i rerolled a Priest, lvl'd to 60, raiding in MC to Rag.... and didn't like raiding... so when we moved into BWL.... I left the alliance and rolled a  Mage on the horde side....
    Got the mage to 60, joined a raiding guild, and found myself respecing frost to raid MC..... and decided I didn't like raiding....
    So after 9 months I quit WOW for the first time...took a break, played GW and COH, came back to WOW and leveled a Druid to 60, joined a raiding guild, battled my way through to Nef, got about 1/2 through AQ 40...and decided I didn't like raiding....
    Switched servers, joined a more casual raiding guild, one that let me go to bed at 11 pm, (instead of 1 or 2 am like the others) and they were slogging through MC to Rag... and I decided I didn't like raiding.....
    Burnout?  Yea, l guess so, but not  because I played too much, ,I grew weary of the raiding (and all the farming I had to do to support it) and saw no other end game, so when details of TBC were released I realized that WOW had nothing to offer me, never would, and I left the game for good.
    Its been 8 months now..and no regrets.  I'm now playing EVE, we'll have to wait and see if it offers me an end game that truly doesn't end....and if not...WAR is on the horizon....

Right.  I don't think you really fit into the category of posters I am targeting.  Burnout comes in many forms.  I had burnout for a vastly different reason.  I do not have the time to raid and leveling characters and running 5mans eventually left me at a ceiling I could not possibly break through.

The point is that players who play for a year almost every day have no business saying the game sucks.  It suckered them in for a year and days and days of play time.  I don't understand how a game can suck if you were playing it every day for a year.   Perhaps those players should have paced themselves and stopped to smell the roses.

• ExneodeathExneodeath Member Posts: 61

I think people should stop wasting so much time in games that would help.  Games are fun but getting fat and dirty for some fake items is not good idea.  Try to secure your future and get a gf and real friends to hang out and have fun.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I daresay that there are "known" ways to deal with the endgame content, and once you've learned the classic way of doing it, you get stuck in a box.

Then there's the aspect taht "we're doing this for the drop, so don't mess up" which strongly inhibits anyone from trying a different method for fear it will lead to a wipe and piss people off who are desperate for a chance at the dream drop.

The greed for the loot turns it into a quest to find the "perfect" way to deal with Onyxia or whoever, and it becomes a rote operation when there MIGHT be some other way but you don't dare because we're looking for that darn drop!

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi