Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

x = 1 + x

2»

Comments

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by ViolentY

::EDITED::
    Try using this scenario:
    1/3 = .333...
    .333... + .333... + .333... = .999... Correct?
    1/3      +  1/3     +  1/3     =   1
    1/3 doesn't actually equal 0.333333...

and 0.33333... doesn't actually equal 1/3

It is just that .3333.. is the closest decimal representation to 1/3 possible.. and 1/3 is the closest decimal representation to .3333... possible But they aren't truly the same..

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by methane47

...Again, if we're talking about the set of all real numbers, and obviously not natural numbers or integers...

Let x = .333...

10x = 3.333...

10x - x = 3.333... - .333...

9x = 3

x = 1/3

-Machiavelli

• serjndestroyserjndestroy Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by //\//\oo

Well, I've had a lot of math (B.S.) and just can't let kids go thinking that .99... is the same thing as 1.00.., because they don't have anything else to base equality on other than = in (+,*,R). (by the kid I mean the OP...who thought that 1=0)
    Who said I thought that 0 = 1? Heck, just stating a seemingly simple algebraic equation that is wrong does not mean I believe or even think that it is true...
    I mean.. it's ok when all they're doing is operations in fields, but if they ever decide to go to higher math they're going to have to start from the ground up and it's not a pretty process. 
    What I don't understand is why they don't let kids split off into two paths, so kids that are more math/science oriented get a stronger theoretical basis while the others get a more applied basis without derivation. I don't have a degree in education, so I guess I shouldn't. 
    Finance? That's a very lucrative field. I'm on my way to getting a degree in that myself... that is an MS in applied math with a concentration in financial applications.
    I would have gone with pure math as that was my first academic love, but that doesn't pay as well. 

Yeah, anyway, guess in the end one should just stop thinking, and go watch MTV instead...

Hail DnDOnlinegames!

Originally posted by serjndestroyWho said I thought that 0 = 1? Heck, just stating a seemingly simple algebraic equation that is wrong does not mean I believe or even think that it is true...
    Yeah, anyway, guess in the end one should just stop thinking, and go watch MTV instead...

I don't think he literally thinks that you firmly believe 0 = 1, he was just using that as a reference point, seeing as you were the one that kept trying to bring up ways that 0 could be equal to 1.

And no, choosing to go watch MTV is never the better option.

-Machiavelli

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by ViolentY

Originally posted by methane47

...Again, if we're talking about the set of all real numbers, and obviously not natural numbers or integers...

Let x = .333...

10x = 3.333...

10x - x = 3.333... - .333...

9x = 3

x = 1/3

that is an approximation not a truth.. if you multiplied a number by 10 that would produce a zero on the end of the figure.. ending the infinite repeating of 3s in this case...

so your number would no longer perfectly match up.. causing your 10x - x equation to have the last digit being 7 instead of canceling nicely... ruinin the rest of your trick math....

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

I don't think you understand the concept of recurring infinitely...

An infinite .333333 multiplied by 10 would only move the decimal place once to the right, and the 3's would continue going on forever. There is no end of the number to tack a 0 on to.

-Machiavelli