Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

be careful going to Gamespot

Right when I went to gamespot, about 5 seconds later my nod32 virus scanner detected a trojan, one of gamespots banners contained it apparently.

Just letting you all know, maybe it was a false detection or something...but still, be careful if not.

-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
I have a Youtube channel for video games! http://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

Comments

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

I quit going to that site long ago.  Their reviews are the worse in the industry. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

I go there every day at least twice, and never catch anything.

And as for the above comment, how are Gamespot's reviews the worse in the industry compared to everybody elses? Or did you leave IGN out of your comparison?

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

Haha, I love when gamespot "reviews" video cards but yet they say they didn't have a sample in the offices to test. haha

• flabairflabair Member Posts: 188

yea gamespot got me today, lucky windows one care gaught it and removed it as fast as it was placed on

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

That sucks. Thanks for the warning.

...Oh, and about worst reviews? That definitely goes to XPlay.

-Machiavelli

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Spathotan

And as for the above comment, how are Gamespot's reviews the worse in the industry compared to everybody elses? Or did you leave IGN out of your comparison?
    Well, maybe I went a little overboard in my descriptive.

The thing that got me was when they reviewed the WoW expansion.  Every other MMO expansion that I've seen them review, if the expansion didn't include all new content for every level up to max they took off bigtime for it.  But on the WoW expansion they didn't hardly even mention anything about it.  And I personally loved the EQ2 expansion "Echoes of Faydwer".  I played both of the expansions and found the EQ2 expansion to be infinitely better put together and presented.  It was really good with lots of new stuff for all levels.  But they gave it a low review.   Here are some of the other reviews for comparison.  You can see they were way off the mark.

Site Name / Link

Quality

Date

Rating

Ratio

11/29/2006

7.5 out of 10

75.0%

11/29/2006

4 out of 5

80.0%

Site Profile  IGN

11/20/2006

8.4 out of 10

84.0%

12/1/2006

8.9 out of 10

89.0%

11/28/2006

8.7 out of 10

87.0%

Site Profile  Computer Games Mag

3/1/2007

4.5 out of 5

90.0%

4/16/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

3/2/2007

85 out of 100

85.0%

2/26/2007

4 out of 5

80.0%

2/19/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

That's just one example.  I've read others too that left me with a bad impression of them.  That one just sticks in my mind, because I know that was an awesome expansion for EQ2.  I like both games and have no fanboi-ism's towards either one and know that EQ2 expansion was better.  Plus, like I said, they didn't hardly care about the WoW expansion having mostly upper level content.  Another thing they took off for when it came to other MMO expansions. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• Gre4tGre4t Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by War_Eagle

The thing that got me was when they reviewed the WoW expansion.  Every other MMO expansion that I've seen them review, if the expansion didn't include all new content for every level up to max they took off bigtime for it.  But on the WoW expansion they didn't hardly even mention anything about it.  And I personally loved the EQ2 expansion "Echoes of Faydwer".  I played both of the expansions and found the EQ2 expansion to be infinitely better put together and presented.  It was really good with lots of new stuff for all levels.  But they gave it a low review.   Here are some of the other reviews for comparison.  You can see they were way off the mark.

Site Name / Link

Quality

Date

Rating

Ratio

11/29/2006

7.5 out of 10

75.0%

11/29/2006

4 out of 5

80.0%

Site Profile  IGN

11/20/2006

8.4 out of 10

84.0%

12/1/2006

8.9 out of 10

89.0%

11/28/2006

8.7 out of 10

87.0%

3/1/2007

4.5 out of 5

90.0%

4/16/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

3/2/2007

85 out of 100

85.0%

2/26/2007

4 out of 5

80.0%

2/19/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

That's just one example.  I've read others too that left me with a bad impression of them.  That one just sticks in my mind, because I know that was an awesome expansion for EQ2.  I like both games and have no fanboi-ism's towards either one and know that EQ2 expansion was better.  Plus, like I said, they didn't hardly care about the WoW expansion having mostly upper level content.  Another thing they took off for when it came to other MMO expansions. 

Mate, it's one point? What's the big deal?

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by Gre4t

Originally posted by War_Eagle

Site Name / Link

Quality

Date

Rating

Ratio

Site Profile  GameSpot

11/29/2006

7.5 out of 10

75.0%

Site Profile  GameSpy

11/29/2006

4 out of 5

80.0%

Site Profile  IGN

11/20/2006

8.4 out of 10

84.0%

Site Profile  Worth Playing

12/1/2006

8.9 out of 10

89.0%

Site Profile  GameZone

11/28/2006

8.7 out of 10

87.0%

3/1/2007

4.5 out of 5

90.0%

Site Profile  Gamers Europe

4/16/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

Site Profile  GamingTrend

3/2/2007

85 out of 100

85.0%

Site Profile  Video Game Talk

2/26/2007

4 out of 5

80.0%

Site Profile  Boomtown

2/19/2007

8 out of 10

80.0%

Mate, it's one point? What's the big deal?

I gotta second that question. A 7.5 is even classified as "good" on Gamespot.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Well to be honest Burning Crusade really is a shitty expansion, the only reason it got those raitings is simply because WoW has over 7 million subscribers and at least half of the people doing the reviews play the damn game im sure. And Echoes of Faydwear is definetly the best expansion yet for EQ2, and the raitings for it dont do it justice.

Point being here that the raitings these sites give are, and will never be accurate for MMORPGs, simply because they only play them for a few hours, it takes days/weeks to really experience an MMO.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Point being here that the raitings these sites give are, and will never be accurate for MMORPGs, simply because they only play them for a few hours, it takes days/weeks to really experience an MMO.

Even so, a review is nothing more than an opinionated critique of a game. Every site/mag gives odd scores now and again that we'll disagree with. To me, the scores don't make the review bad unless it's filled with fabrications or just poorly written.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

/shrug.

All the major sites, and mags give weak-assed reviews of games. It's just part of playing the game. If they burn their bridges, they don't get "exclusives" and so on. So they file limp dick reviews that don't really bitchslap games that need it(see VG reviews).

Even this site is guilty of it, a bit, I feel. While there's always been contests going on, there's like 3 at a time going on now? Add the suddenly draconian-ish moderation and the addition of some new admin types, and draw your own conclusions.

If a magazine, or site wants to get to talk to the players, then they have to play ball.

That being said, there are some sites like F13 that pull no punches, but are lucky enough to be friends with all the players in the first place, so they don't have to do the usual song, and dance. Plus, they're small enough that they fly under the radar to the extent that they can get away with things that Gamespot, IGN, or even MMORPG.com couldn't.