Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horus=Jesus

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Horus of Egypt

"Egypt, the primeval seat of learning, was the high seat of Sun adoration. The Sphinx, with the face to the east, represents Harmmachus, young Horus, or the rising Sun. The orb is Osiris, the ruling god of day. In its descent it is the dying deity, going below to the land of Shades; but only to be resurrected as the victorious Horus, piercing the head of the dragon of darkness." James Bonwick, Irish Druids & Old Irish Religions

The Egyptian sun god Horus, who predated the Christ character by thousands of years, shares the following in common with Jesus:

• Isis and HorusHorus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

• His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph"). Seb is also known as "Geb": "As Horus the Elder he...was believed to be the son of Geb and Nut." Lewis Spence, Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends, 84.

• He was of royal descent.

• At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

• Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iarutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" ("John the Baptist"), who was decapitated.

• He had 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "Aan" (the two "Johns").

• He performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris"), from the dead.

• Horus walked on water.

• His personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was thus called "Holy Child."

• He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."

• Horus was transfigured on the Mount.

• He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.

• He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light," "Messiah," "God's Anointed Son," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.

• He was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.

• He came to fulfill the Law.

• Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One."

• Like Jesus, "Horus was supposed to reign one thousand years."

Horus predates Jesus by almost  1500 years. Imagine that! Christianity for a debacle of unifying a single Rome!

Comments

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Not a bad post but....    You have way too much time on your hands.

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

The legend behind Rome goes something like. (severely abridged version)

The daughter of a Hispania king gives berth to twin sons, Romulus and Remus.

The daughters was a perpetual virgin who was impregnated by a god.  The twins were considered to be divine.

Romulus kills Remus over who should rule the city they founded and what the city should be called.

Any of this sound familliar?

Wish Darkfall would release.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N

Not a bad post but....    You have way too much time on your hands.
    lol,

Im off work the next two weeks (Broken foot). So I do have a good amount of free time.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by xpowderx
    Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N Not a bad post but.... You have way too much time on your hands.
    lol,
    Im off work the next two weeks (Broken foot). So I do have a good amount of free time.

Play some game maybe? I agree with your post... just that I don't believe in either of those two, so I suppose they are the same. Two non-existent things must be the same, right? As they both are nothing...

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

How about the concept that saying "Amen" at the end of a prayer is really a holdover from the Egyptian "Amon", which was swearing by the god Amon that what was said was truth/bond?

Godliest,

Why I can see that Jesus did not exist and is really a spin-off Myth of Horus. There are hundreds of examples of Horus and his life in Egyptian  hieroglyphs. Ill give a example.

In the Temple of Luxor were images of the Annunciation, Immaculate Conception, Birth and Adoration of Horus, with Thoth announcing to the Virgin Isis that she will conceive Horus; with Kneph, the "Holy Ghost," impregnating the virgin; and with the infant being attended by three kings, or magi, bearing gifts. In addition, in the catacombs at Rome are pictures of the baby Horus being held by the virgin mother Isis--the original "Madonna and Child."

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Godliest,
    Why I can see that Jesus did not exist and is really a spin-off Myth of Horus. There are hundreds of examples of Horus and his life in Egyptian  hieroglyphs. Ill give a example.
    In the Temple of Luxor were images of the Annunciation, Immaculate Conception, Birth and Adoration of Horus, with Thoth announcing to the Virgin Isis that she will conceive Horus; with Kneph, the "Holy Ghost," impregnating the virgin; and with the infant being attended by three kings, or magi, bearing gifts. In addition, in the catacombs at Rome are pictures of the baby Horus being held by the virgin mother Isis--the original "Madonna and Child."

Lets just say that Egypt was a pretty major player back then, sat at the crossroads of three continents, and it's influence was felt throughout the Middle East, Africa, and Mediterranean Sea area. Is it really surprising that some off it rubbed off and was retained by other cultures?

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

Originally posted by olddaddy

Godliest,

Lets just say that Egypt was a pretty major player back then, sat at the crossroads of three continents, and it's influence was felt throughout the Middle East, Africa, and Mediterranean Sea area. Is it really surprising that some off it rubbed off and was retained by other cultures?

It's also one of the 3 oldest civilizations.

Sumarians in Iraq and the area that jewdia is believed to begin: the other I can't remember the name for but is in the area of pakistan.

Wish Darkfall would release.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by olddaddy

How about the concept that saying "Amen" at the end of a prayer is really a holdover from the Egyptian "Amon", which was swearing by the god Amon that what was said was truth/bond?

This sort of shows that religion has many roots.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Well, Christianity will never win the prize for originality.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well that blows my theory about John Smedley using SOE funds to build a time machine and being the true Judas, did Horus have a Judas?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

i had hoped this thread was about,  a much better Horus:

http://library.galciv2.com/mvlib/ss/Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg

I actually like Warhammer 40k :

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

I'm a Jew.  Here is what I think.

I think that Jesus fit into the mold of a people that were desperate for justice and so his story has been turned into what it is today.  We Jews don't believe he fit the criteria to be the Messiah.  Some of us don't even believe the Messiah is coming anymore. 

See, we're not bound to read the Old Testament as the word of God like you Christians are.  We're free to find things out on our own.  You guys have a lot of rules and things that you have to believe in order to get to heaven.  For that reason alone I'm glad I was born into a Jewish family. 

I look at some Christians and what I see are signs of mental illness.  It's like they are forced to look at reality and deny it, or to take common sense and throw it to the wayside.  That's not healthy and it does nothing but tear away at a persons self reliance and self determination. 

Which is another reason I get so angry at people pushing Christianity into politics.  I don't see how we can have a country based on self-determination that allows blatant Christian religion into it's documents.  A belief in God is okay, because that leaves open all beliefs, but not one in just Christianity.

There is another group called the Zoroastrians who practice(d) Zoroastrianism.  There are many stories in the Old Testament that seem to borrow heavily from that group.  Again, we Jews recognize that and we're not forced to deny it.  So we again aren't told to deny our common sense and feel like we're wrong in our thinking and learning of history.

I find it really sad when I see a Christian presented new information or even old credited information and they are forced to call it wrong because it doesn't match up with their book. 

Oh, one other thing.  It's also okay for us to disagree with our doctrines without guilt and learn on our own because we're not told we're going to hell.  That's another Christian thing that I hate to see you guys have to go through.  That whole story is a falsity that is perpetuated.  Yet, even when you show a Christian that they are wrong to believe in hell they fall back into that mental illness again and believe the myth.

It's scary that people give up their freedom so easily. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

I actually like Warhammer 40k :

Awesome  that picture is just awesome too

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Horus of Egypt
    "Egypt, the primeval seat of learning, was the high seat of Sun adoration. The Sphinx, with the face to the east, represents Harmmachus, young Horus, or the rising Sun. The orb is Osiris, the ruling god of day. In its descent it is the dying deity, going below to the land of Shades; but only to be resurrected as the victorious Horus, piercing the head of the dragon of darkness." James Bonwick, Irish Druids & Old Irish Religions
    The Egyptian sun god Horus, who predated the Christ character by thousands of years, shares the following in common with Jesus:

Isis and HorusHorus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph"). Seb is also known as "Geb": "As Horus the Elder he...was believed to be the son of Geb and Nut." Lewis Spence, Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends, 84.

He was of royal descent.

At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iarutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" ("John the Baptist"), who was decapitated.

He had 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "Aan" (the two "Johns").

He performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris"), from the dead.

Horus walked on water.

His personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was thus called "Holy Child."

He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."

Horus was transfigured on the Mount.

He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.

He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light," "Messiah," "God's Anointed Son," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.

He was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.

He came to fulfill the Law.

Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One."

Like Jesus, "Horus was supposed to reign one thousand years."
    Horus predates Jesus by almost  1500 years. Imagine that! Christianity for a debacle of unifying a single Rome!

I count 1 citation in that list. Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends (I assume the 84 is reference to a re-issue; this book was published in 1915)- The Book of the Dead only appears to refer to Isis and Osiris and the parents.

Why are the others not cited?

You could probably cite Acharya S (D.Murdock from truthbeknown.com) who in turn might cite Gerald Massey for some of the list - but any mention anyhere of the original documents that these came from? Any reference for any serious Egyptologists, with no axe to grind, backing any of these points up?

The Egyptian Book of the Dead can be found here. It's not the greatest read, but I'll be impressed if anyone can find anything which supports anything from that list, other than the royal descent.

Originally posted by War_Eagle

I think that Jesus fit into the mold of a people that were desperate for justice and so his story has been turned into what it is today.  We Jews don't believe he fit the criteria to be the Messiah.  Some of us don't even believe the Messiah is coming anymore. 
    See, we're not bound to read the Old Testament as the word of God like you Christians are.  We're free to find things out on our own.  You guys have a lot of rules and things that you have to believe in order to get to heaven.  For that reason alone I'm glad I was born into a Jewish family. 
    I look at some Christians and what I see are signs of mental illness.  It's like they are forced to look at reality and deny it, or to take common sense and throw it to the wayside.  That's not healthy and it does nothing but tear away at a persons self reliance and self determination. 
    Which is another reason I get so angry at people pushing Christianity into politics.  I don't see how we can have a country based on self-determination that allows blatant Christian religion into it's documents.  A belief in God is okay, because that leaves open all beliefs, but not one in just Christianity.
    There is another group called the Zoroastrians who practice(d) Zoroastrianism.  There are many stories in the Old Testament that seem to borrow heavily from that group.  Again, we Jews recognize that and we're not forced to deny it.  So we again aren't told to deny our common sense and feel like we're wrong in our thinking and learning of history.
    I find it really sad when I see a Christian presented new information or even old credited information and they are forced to call it wrong because it doesn't match up with their book. 
    Oh, one other thing.  It's also okay for us to disagree with our doctrines without guilt and learn on our own because we're not told we're going to hell.  That's another Christian thing that I hate to see you guys have to go through.  That whole story is a falsity that is perpetuated.  Yet, even when you show a Christian that they are wrong to believe in hell they fall back into that mental illness again and believe the myth.

I don't recognise or relate to your definition of Christians and what they (have to) believe any more than you would if I described Orthodox Judaism and told you that, as a Jew, that's what you believe.

Originally posted by EggFtegg

Horus of Egypt

Isis and HorusHorus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph"). Seb is also known as "Geb": "As Horus the Elder he...was believed to be the son of Geb and Nut." Lewis Spence, Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends, 84.

He was of royal descent.

At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iarutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" ("John the Baptist"), who was decapitated.

He had 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "Aan" (the two "Johns").

He performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris"), from the dead.

Horus walked on water.

His personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was thus called "Holy Child."

He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."

Horus was transfigured on the Mount.

He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.

He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light," "Messiah," "God's Anointed Son," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.

He was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.

He came to fulfill the Law.

Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One."

Like Jesus, "Horus was supposed to reign one thousand years."

I count 1 citation in that list. Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends (I assume the 84 is reference to a re-issue; this book was published in 1915)- The Book of the Dead only appears to refer to Isis and Osiris and the parents.

Why are the others not cited?

You could probably cite Acharya S (D.Murdock from truthbeknown.com) who in turn might cite Gerald Massey for some of the list - but any mention anyhere of the original documents that these came from? Any reference for any serious Egyptologists, with no axe to grind, backing any of these points up?

The Egyptian Book of the Dead can be found here. It's not the greatest read, but I'll be impressed if anyone can find anything which supports anything from that list, other than the royal descent.

www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/horus.htm   

and www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/isis.htm  

and for generl or further investigation www.touregypt.net/featurestories/horus.htm

• forzaitaliaforzaitalia Member Posts: 137

this has too many things in common to be true

and for generl or further investigation www.touregypt.net/featurestories/horus.htm
    Ok, so that appears to contradict the cited claim. Nut and Geb were the parents of Isis and therefore, the grandparents of Horus, according to that second link, so even if Geb = Seb = Joseph has any merit, the parentage doesn't anyway. As far as I can gather, they were gods, so the "earthly father" claim doesn't stand either.

Anything for the uncited stuff?

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by War_Eagle

I don't recognise or relate to your definition of Christians and what they (have to) believe any more than you would if I described Orthodox Judaism and told you that, as a Jew, that's what you believe.

You're right.  That's why I said some Christians.  There are some Orthodox Jews, and I see mental illness in them as well.  Look at what they did at the gay rights festival in Israel a couple of weeks ago.  When people resort to violence and other less violent anti-social behavior then that is a sign that their interpretation of Judaism is causing mental illness in them.

Orthodox Jews take the Torah quite literally.  Conventional and liberal Jews do not.  And we are the vast vast vast majority of Jews. 

However, the percentage of conservative Christians in this country is growing.  You can't deny that.  And I've found a lot of anti-social behavior amongst conservative Christians.  Not to mention a lot of confusion they have to go through because of their literal interpretations of the Bible. 

I remember reading one of your posts about the interpretation of hell being false in the Christian religion.  I was very impressed.  I was in no way referencing you in my post.  Just the Christians that I see and feel sorry for.  I wish they didn't have to go through that and could experience the freedom of being able to challenge scripture.  For it really is mans word. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

Ok, so that appears to contradict the cited claim. Nut and Geb were the parents of Isis and therefore, the grandparents of Horus, according to that second link, so even if Geb = Seb = Joseph has any merit, the parentage doesn't anyway. As far as I can gather, they were gods, so the "earthly father" claim doesn't stand either.

Anything for the uncited stuff?

www.africawithin.com/massey/gml1_luniolatry.htm

www.africawithin.com/massey/gml1_luniolatry.htm
    From what I can gather, this is pretty much where the trail ends. Writers who make similar claims, such as Alvin Boyd Kuhn, Tom Harpur, Freke & Gandy and Acharya S, all seem to cite Gerald Massey, a Victorian poet, who took up an interest in Egyptology in his latter years. Massey himself appears to have left few citations for his claims. Whether there is any real basis in his claims or if he fabricated much of his evidence, is unclear. In The Historical Jesus and Mythical Christ, he makes the claim that "The transcription and literal rendering of the hieroglyphic texts herein employed are by scholars of indisputable authority.", but notably doesn't give any indication who these scholars are.

The Luxor inscription, posted earlier in this thread, and used by Acharya S in her arguments, can be found in Massey's work (link - scroll down about 1/3 of the way to find an enlarged picture and Massey's interpretation). The atheist writer, Richard Carrier, gives his views of what is actually depicted here.

James Holding and Glenn Miller are two names which appear a lot in searches. From their research, they refute many of these and similar claims (such as in the articles I've linked their names to). For example, Miller writes:

"Horus was NOT born of a virgin at all. Indeed, one ancient Egyptian relief depicts this conception by showing his mother Isis in a falcon form, hovering over an erect phallus of a dead and prone Osiris in the Underworld  (EOR, s.v. "Phallus"). And the Dec 25 issue is of no relevance to us--nowhere does the NT associate this date with Jesus' birth at all. "

"I can find references to FOUR "disciples"--variously called the semi-divine HERU-SHEMSU ("Followers of Horus") [GOE:1.491]. I can find references to SIXTEEN human followers (GOE:1.196). And I can find reference to an UNNUMBERED group of followers called mesniu/mesnitu ("blacksmiths") who accompanied Horus in some of his battles [GOE:1.475f; although these might be identified with the HERU-SHEMSU in GOE:1.84]. But I cannot find TWELVE anywhere."

• ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70

Jesus is of course just a copy from multiple other "sons of god" (including Horus) that came before him.

I actualy had a little chat with a friend of mine on this very same topic. I showed her multiple links to many sites containing information on people that are just like Jesus, and did the same things as him. Some came before, some during. (Friend is a Christian, I'm Wiccan.) Needless to say, she was rather shocked. It bothered me that she didn't know this, when everyone should be taught it.

So what makes Jesus the "true" son of God? Not a damn thing. I'm not into the whole "Cause the Bible says so!" Yea well, the Egyptians believed Horus was the son of God too, does that make it true? Nope.

Originally posted by ShakaAutunn

Jesus is of course just a copy from multiple other "sons of god" (including Horus) that came before him.
    I actualy had a little chat with a friend of mine on this very same topic. I showed her multiple links to many sites containing information on people that are just like Jesus, and did the same things as him. Some came before, some during. (Friend is a Christian, I'm Wiccan.) Needless to say, she was rather shocked. It bothered me that she didn't know this, when everyone should be taught it.
    So what makes Jesus the "true" son of God? Not a damn thing. I'm not into the whole "Cause the Bible says so!" Yea well, the Egyptians believed Horus was the son of God too, does that make it true? Nope.

If these stories had any credible, documented evidence behind them, then it might be reasonable to be teaching it to everyone. I too found numerous sites repeating the same information, but very little cited evidence. Most of the genuine evidence I found has contradicted these claims.

Here's an interesting link to an Ancient Egypt discussion board