Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

white male priviledge. Does it still exist today?

Comments

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

I was given a job a few years back strickly because I was white.  If I wasn't in need of money I wouldn't have taken the job.  As it was I took the job and then filed a complaint with whatever group in my state (I'm tired and can't remember the name of the branch that handles discrimination in the work place for my state) along with a black girl that was was let go.  She was let go because she was black and a few of my bosses were kind enough to let me know.

Needless to say I was fired a few months later, and the company was sold off not long after my firing.

So yes, it excists.

Wish Darkfall would release.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Originally posted by methane47
    white man#1: Do white men have an advantage?
    white man#2: Nah we dont.. i never got an advantage
    white man#3: Yeah we dont have an advantage...
    white man#2: at a previous company where there were 200 white people and 5 other ethnicities... They fired me because They said they needed to hire a hispanic guy... totally not fair at all for white men....
    White man#4: yeah.. one time I applied for a scholarship and I didn't get it ... I bet they gave it to a minority instead...
    White man#5: Yeah I hate that.. I mean.. I live in beverly hills and have two cars.. But I still deserve a scholarship more than the Mexican who lives in a 2 bedroom house with 12 people if I do better in my SAT's.. FOR DAMN SURE
    white man#6: Yeah totally..
    White man#1: yeah.... totally.. and I hate that ALL black people glamorize thug life and rap..
    black guy#1: you know all black people aren't like that right? Not ALL of us glamorize Thug life and rap and hip hop
    white guy#3: YOU DONT SEe white guys glamorizing THE KKK!!!!!!

Great thread guys..

That's some pretty awesome generalization there, yourself.

Double points for knowing the hiring policies of the employers of all the posters in this thread, let alone the ethnicity of anyone that didn't specifically state it.

Why, with those sort of uncanny telepathic abilities, I can't understand what you're doing in a dump like this...

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by Coldmeat

white man#2: at a previous company where there were 200 white people and 5 other ethnicities... They fired me because They said they needed to hire a hispanic guy... totally not fair at all for white men....

White man#4: yeah.. one time I applied for a scholarship and I didn't get it ... I bet they gave it to a minority instead...

White man#5: Yeah I hate that.. I mean.. I live in beverly hills and have two cars.. But I still deserve a scholarship more than the Mexican who lives in a 2 bedroom house with 12 people if I do better in my SAT's.. FOR DAMN SURE

White man#1: yeah.... totally.. and I hate that ALL black people glamorize thug life and rap..

black guy#1: you know all black people aren't like that right? Not ALL of us glamorize Thug life and rap and hip hop

Great thread guys..

Double points for knowing the hiring policies of the employers of all the posters in this thread, let alone the ethnicity of anyone that didn't specifically state it.

Why, with those sort of uncanny telepathic abilities, I can't understand what you're doing in a dump like this...

It is exactly what you said... a generalization... But it serves it's purpose in showing how retarded this thread is..

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

I will try to be as brief as possible. 

I applied for a prestigious job in academia.  I was hired, and I think I was hired because they thought I was gay.  (Not a joke, but I know this will earn me some serious flaming).  I think they thought I was gay because I might fit some stereotypes:  very health conscious, lean, serious student, and was single.  One of my colleagues, when I was hired, definitely was gay.  The person they hired after me was definitely gay.  

In other words, if you work in politically correct environment, they will go out of their way to hire what they think are "minorities" or otherwise disadvantaged groups.  I think everyone should be treated equally: gay, straight, black, republican, green party, etc.  Anyway, I am telling you that these type of hiring practices do happen.  Some companies will try not to hire gays, others will go out of their way to hire them.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

Great thread guys..

It is exactly what you said... a generalization... But it serves it's purpose in showing how retarded this thread is..

How the hell can you claim I made a generalization? If you can tell me my real name, let alone where I've worked in my lifetime, I'll shit you a dump truck worth of gold bricks.

You want a specific instance? I applied for a job, and got a call back. Went in, and did the interview thing. Guy I interviewed with was black. While waiting, I saw him come out and get one or two other interviewees, who happened to be black, who all left looking pretty pleased. When I was called back, I never even got so much as a word out. Basically he looked over my app for about 30 seconds, then sat there and insulted me for 45 seconds, and then told me to gtfo in not so many words. Now, I've had plenty of interviews where I've been turned down with the "we'll give you a call" and a handshake routine. I know it well.

Never had someone sit there and belittle me for near a minute then get up and walk out before, though.

I guess all black HR people are just prejudiced against us crackers, eh?

Great thread guys..

How the hell can you claim I made a generalization? If you can tell me my real name, let alone where I've worked in my lifetime, I'll shit you a dump truck worth of gold bricks.

You want a specific instance? I applied for a job, and got a call back. Went in, and did the interview thing. Guy I interviewed with was black. While waiting, I saw him come out and get one or two other interviewees, who happened to be black, who all left looking pretty pleased. When I was called back, I never even got so much as a word out. Basically he looked over my app for about 30 seconds, then sat there and insulted me for 45 seconds, and then told me to gtfo in not so many words. Now, I've had plenty of interviews where I've been turned down with the "we'll give you a call" and a handshake routine. I know it well.

Never had someone sit there and belittle me for near a minute then get up and walk out before, though.

As in what I said was a generalization.....

What exactly was the purpose of that?

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

Great thread guys..

As in what I said was a generalization.....

What exactly was the purpose of that?

Same purpose as your "all us rich whites living on easy street have it so hard" spiel at the top.
  • Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Look you can't just add in respectable blacks with blacks that are in the thug culture. That's like adding respectable whites with emo culture. You can't look at things as a whole like that . People who resepct themselves are the ones who refelect individualy and those who don't we don't even worry about. Blacks are still taking steps forward, but as in being in any race there will be people and lifestyles making blacks look bad. Like one can say that blondes are stupid, yet not all blonds are stupid, but when you think about it, why did they get that title? It's some sort of mass effect of happenings. Maybe Girls Gone Wild, maybe some events in history and such.
    Would I look at all blindes to be dumb? No, becuase I take them for who they are individualy. I think your looking at it a little in the right direction gnome and a little in the wrong direction. What is your look at thug culture though. I want to come down to your level a bit then maybe I can understand where you are comming from. There are thugs, there is the mafia, KKK, crypts, bloods, there is the yakuza, they all are GANGS and it's not just most of the black population, it goes beyond many races.

I'm not sure I agree with your comparisons.  I can see the point you are trying to make, but it doesn't match up here.  I'll deal with a few of them so you can see what I mean...

Emo - I'm not scared of emo's.  They aren't packing heat or promoting putting a cap in somebody.  They are about as passive as you can get actually.  Yeah, they look weird and whatever, but they aren't dangerous.

Blondes - Silly, yeah.  Dangerous?  Only behind the wheel. 

Mafia - I agree with you here.  They are glamorized, and I disagree with it completely.  Just the other day my buddies were watching that Sopranos movie and I asked them something they couldn't answer.  I asked why so many people could not watch two guys kiss on television because they say it's such as disgrace to society and dangerous to kids and stuff, yet those same religious people have not a problem watching mafia shows like The Sopranos with murder and other sinful behavior going on.  That's machisimo I guess.  Jesus looks the other way for that stuff. 

KKK - I don't see too many people glamorizing the KKK.  Maybe you do, if so point it out, but I don't see a whole section of Blockbuster Music set aside for gangsta white supremacists.

My point is that there are a lot of blacks that will defend the thug lifestyle.  There is music, movies, shows all over the place glamorizing it.  There is no way in the universe that the thug lifestyle is helping the black community, yet so many blacks perpetuate it.  Also, I understand there is stuff that goes on with all races, but my point is that when you look at statistics irresponsible and bad behavior is rampant in the black community.  I wish it wasn't.  I'm not racist and I'm not saying it can't change.  I know it can, but it's going to take some work from the black community to get it done.  A good start would be to start discrediting thugs.

Mine point kinda raced toward others comments too. My fault on that. I can think of a like of things that are glamorized. Usually the many that devent it grew up in it. Now you can't always tell. Not everyone grows up in a good neibhorhood so it's a culture change. Thug life is a life of crime, crime is glamorized everywhere. I'm trying to show you that it's just not "thug life" it's more than that. These things don't help any community at all, yet can we stop it? No, becuase obviously they sell pretty well. In our video games, in our movies, in our music. Those who got out of that life and want to show and teach people are the ones that do help. Ones they want to brag about it. Of course many blacks don't like it, we do our best to stop the hate and many of that is not even shown on the media.

Research is your only way. There are orgonizations and such all to help the black community and trying to have many people avoid the infulence of gang violence in bad areas and such. There is a lot of people that stand up to this and they don't get light shined opun them. That's all I'm trying to say. If you support then you can see more of whats happening and what people like you and many others are not seeing. Take a look into some things.

Hope I said this all right.... Extremely tired.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Great thread guys..

The only thing retarded is a belief that race should confer some sort of advantage when being considered for a job opportunity or academic fulfillment.  Whether it's white or black...and your post seems to imply that you believe that we should give preferential treatment to some people based upon a criteria chosen by...who exactly?  Who gets to decide who is worthy of unfair treatment and special rewards based on race? 

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• CochizeCochize Member Posts: 211

Avereage income White males are trusted by society, but that's about it.  Think to yourself if you NEED someone to watch your bags for 1 second in an airport and there's a white guy in a collared shirt and nice pants and then a black guy with fake gold chains, baggy pants, and an Oakland Raiders cap on sideways, who are you more likely to trust.  Yes I do realize you never let anyone watch your bags in an airport, but this is hypothetical. 

In terms of scholarships, saying certain words, saying white people are cool, makeing an all white school/group, dancing, playing basketball, saying Emenim is batter than Tupac, and becoming a rapper  White people are at a severe disadvantage

Originally posted by Draenor

The only thing retarded is a belief that race should confer some sort of advantage when being considered for a job opportunity or academic fulfillment.  Whether it's white or black...and your post seems to imply that you believe that we should give preferential treatment to some people based upon a criteria chosen by...who exactly?  Who gets to decide who is worthy of unfair treatment and special rewards based on race? 

doesn't matter who makes any criteria... As long as people know and acknowledge the presence of bias and take proper steps to diversity..

So that means if I work in a Stock broker/dealer with 1000 white employees and 5 minorites... Its about time you hired some...

If I work in a bank with 10 black employees .. one mexican and no white people.. its time to hire some...

And if that means cutting some equally qualified people.. then so be it...

As long as a bias is Acknowledged ... and steps are taken to diversify... tahts all thats important to me.. Fair and Balanced..

If you were a hiring manager and you interviewed two eqaully qualified guys.. one white from the suburbs .. one black from compton... which would you hire?

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Originally posted by Cochize
    In terms of scholarships, saying certain words, saying white people are cool, makeing an all white school/group, dancing, playing basketball, saying Emenim is batter than Tupac, and becoming a rapper  White people are at a severe disadvantage

I think Eminem is a better lyricist than tupac and  biggie.

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

So that means if I work in a Stock broker/dealer with 1000 white employees and 5 minorites... Its about time you hired some...

If I work in a bank with 10 black employees .. one mexican and no white people.. its time to hire some...

As long as a bias is Acknowledged ... and steps are taken to diversify... tahts all thats important to me.. Fair and Balanced..

If you were a hiring manager and you interviewed two eqaully qualified guys.. one white from the suburbs .. one black from compton... which would you hire?

Emphasis mine. I'm curious how you justify fair and balanced with passing over people that may be more qualified, or at least equally so, to get more diversity?

And for the record, I work for TD Ameritrade, a brokerage, and there are plenty of blacks, asians, and even actual africans, working there. Can't vouch for the hispanic population in the workplace, as I've not seen any in my particular facility, though I know there are plenty that work for the company as a whole.

Emphasis mine. I'm curious how you justify fair and balanced with passing over people that may be more qualified, or at least equally so, to get more diversity?

And for the record, I work for TD Ameritrade, a brokerage, and there are plenty of blacks, asians, and even actual africans, working there. Can't vouch for the hispanic population in the workplace, as I've not seen any in my particular facility, though I know there are plenty that work for the company as a whole.

I didn't say pass over more qualified people.. I said equally

If a white guy and a black guy apply for a job and are equally qualified and there are more black people working? Hire the white guy... Simple 

The Diversity will help everyone who works there. Learning about other cultures really helps personal development...

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

I didn't say pass over more qualified people.. I said equally
    If a white guy and a black guy apply for a job and are equally qualified and there are more black people working? Hire the white guy... Simple
    The Diversity will help everyone who works there. Learning about other cultures really helps personal development...

You're still making the hiring process about race. While I may not be black, I'd like to think that were I, I would have enough pride to want to be hired for my qualifications, and not to fill some bullshit arbitrary PC quota so that people that like to throw around words like diversity, and equality can feel satisfied, even though doing so doesn't promote diversity, or equality.

Edit: And were I, as a white male, to get hired to a position in a predominantly black company as part of some asinine "diversity" ploy, it's not somewhere I would stay at for long. Because I would know, and so would everyone else, that I was just the token white guy. I wouldn't suddenly gain some secret insight into what it's like to be black any more than the overall populace would suddenly welcome me with open arms, invite me to parties, and so on...

You can't force diversity, or understanding, on to people. If it doesn't happen of it's own accord, organically, then it's phoney. And in my opinion, that makes it not only pointless, but counterproductive, as it is more likely to cause resentment.

You're still making the hiring process about race. While I may not be black, I'd like to think that were I, I would have enough pride to want to be hired for my qualifications, and not to fill some bullshit arbitrary PC quota so that people that like to throw around words like diversity, and equality can feel satisfied, even though doing so doesn't promote diversity, or equality.
    Edit: And were I, as a white male, to get hired to a position in a predominantly black company as part of some asinine "diversity" ploy, it's not somewhere I would stay at for long. Because I would know, and so would everyone else, that I was just the token white guy. I wouldn't suddenly gain some secret insight into what it's like to be black any more than the overall populace would suddenly welcome me with open arms, invite me to parties, and so on...
    You can't force diversity, or understanding, on to people. If it doesn't happen of it's own accord, organically, then it's phoney. And in my opinion, that makes it not only pointless, but counterproductive, as it is more likely to cause resentment.

So IF YOU AND AN EQUALLY QUALIFIED PERSON went to an interview.... you would NOT want to be hired... you're a fool if you are soooo stuck in policy and Political Correctness if you can't see how having someone of a different ethnicity can be enriching to EVERYONE else around you..

You're fake sense of rightness and wrongness is silly... Ofcourse you say what you say now.. but that is just to save face.. for fear of us using the search button in the future and turning your words against you... But in a real situation ... a real job you actually wanted... If you and another EQUALLY qualified person were interviewed you would probably NOT turn down the job...

And actually if the Hiring manager had ANY sense of decency what so ever.. he would Not even tell you his reasons for hiring you over another person... So you would probably NEVER know ....

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by Draenor

doesn't matter who makes any criteria... As long as people know and acknowledge the presence of bias and take proper steps to diversity..

Proper steps to diversity?  I'm sorry but I think that's bullshit right there.  There are no "proper steps to diversity".  A business exists for one purpose, and that is to make money.  If a business is not doing anything unethical, such as hiring exclusively white or black people based on race, rather than qualification, then they should be free to do as they please.  Nobody, yourself included, has the right to tell a business that they need to hire certain people in order to fit your idea of "proper diversity"  and strong arming them into doing so only furthers the bitterness that exists between races.

No, it's always time to hire people that can make a business money, you hire people based upon qualification and availability.  What you are suggesting is what furthers racism in this country.  I can't believe that people like you cannot see that YOU are part of the reason racism still exists in America.

See above

No, that's bullshit.  You don't fire hard working people in order to make room for someone just because of the color of their skin.  That's called racism.

What you are suggesting is not fair and balanced.  What you are suggesting is racist.  Fair and balanced is a work environment in which equally qualified people are selected and given jobs, not one in which equally qualified people are selected and then given jobs based upon the color of their skin.  What you are suggesting is about as fair and balanced as the O'Reiley factor.

I would hire whoever was able to work more flexible hours or whoever was willing to work for less.  Suppose they were equal in all respects?  In that HIGHLY unlikely scenario, I would hire whoever was more personable and whoever I thought would make my company more money.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• alerumalerum Member Posts: 407

this whole thread was started as nothing but flamebait but im throing in my 2 cents anyway.

White people have almost no right to do anything that has to do with race anymore. united negro college fund? yea someone try and make a united caucasion college fund. Instant raisism.ever seen the Black entertainment TV  (BET)station? I sure have. How about the Caucasion entertainment network? Nope becasue it doesnt exist. Ever seen an all white TV show? not in this day and age but boy are there alot of black only ones. Wonder if a company has ever gotten in trouble for hireing only blacks id like to know how many white employees there are at BET. Guess diversity doesnt count in in that situation.

To the guy that posted about the airport. I wouldnt let anyone watch my bag but that aside I wonder why it is that as you say most people would ask the white guy first? Maybe becasue crime is more prevalent in the blak community than the white? Oh wait im being racist now. Or maybe I work in a prison and im on the computer at work right now tryping this so i know what the majority of the inmate population is. Yea i think thats the one.

In the U.S today being a white male is more a stigma than anything. About a month aggo i saw in the paper where the local black groups in maryland ( I could be wrong about the state) are trying to force the government to appologise for haveing slaves. OMG noone alive today has ever owned a slave get over it. I have never gotten a free ride for shit i worked my ass off for everything I have. I worked On farms baily hay from about 13 to 16. after that i got jobs in places like fastfood. After i got out of high school it was construction untill 23 then went in the AIrforce for 4 years now hear I am working in prison make an ok living and have a Home a wonderful wife and a great son.

But i guess i dont deserve it becasue im white and it was just handed to me. Yea we have an advantage all right. now fuck off.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Yes it does exist, I see it at work everyday.

O_o o_O

Originally posted by Bigdavo

you do huh? but yet you can give no examples. sounds like opinion not fact to me.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by alerum

you do huh? but yet you can give no examples. sounds like opinion not fact to me.

Yeah, yeah.  Every bit as factual as the pathetic-ass white boys blubbering about how their personal incompetence is actually because white boys are persecuted.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

Originally posted by SioBabble

Yeah, yeah.  Every bit as factual as the pathetic-ass white boys blubbering about how their personal incompetence is actually because white boys are persecuted.

Ah i see but its ok for the "pathetic-ass black boys "to blubber about how the white man is keeping him down. wow guess that proves the point that we dont get privledges for the color of our skin since we dont even get to whine now.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

All I gotta say is that I sure hope being a certain race has it's priviledges, otherwise, what's the point of having different races?

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Really couldn't give a shit what you think, I answered the OP's question.

O_o o_O

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Yes it does still exist, and it will continue to exist for a very long time.

HOWEVER, corporations these days are so concerned about the laws that are supposed to create equal opportunity that most of them have a heavy bias in the opposite direction when comparing potential employees (excluding all candidates who are simply not qualified from any ethnic group)

So, in short, we've made huge progress in terms of tolerance, but still have a very long way to go. We've managed to bury the overtly hostile reactions to racism, now we need to bury the impulsive thinking behind racism itself. Of course, a significant portion of the African American community seem to be worsening that particular situation.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway