Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mysterious New Clouds Spreading From Arctic

gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

WTF?!?!  This is weird.  Kind of spooky.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mysterious Clouds Creeping Out of the Arctic

By Dave Mosher, LiveScience Staff Writer

posted: 28 June 2007 05:38 pm ET

A new NASA satellite has recorded the first detailed images from space of a mysterious type of cloud called “night-shining” or “noctilucent."

The clouds are on the move, brightening and creeping out of polar regions, and researchers don't know why.

"It is clear that these clouds are changing, a sign that a part of our atmosphere is changing and we do not understand how, why or what it means," said atmospheric scientists James Russell III of Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. "These observations suggest a connection with global change in the lower atmosphere and could represent an early warning that our Earth environment is being changed."

The "Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere” (AIM) satellite first imaged the noctilucent clouds May 25. People on the ground began seeing them June 6 over Northern Europe.

The clouds form 50 miles above the Earth’s surface, in an upper layer of the atmosphere called the mesosphere. The puffs of water vapor and crystals appear during summer months above the Northern Hemisphere's pole as well the Southern Hemisphere’s pole in summer.

AIM will record two complete cloud seasons over both regions, effectively documenting an entire life cycle of the shiny clouds for the first time. Researchers hope to figure out why noctilucent clouds form and how they might be related to global climate change.

===============================

Comments

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578

It's Al Qaeda

No but that is pretty odd, Im sure the christian coalition is trying to figure out a way to blame this on the devil.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by defenestrate

It's Al Qaeda

No but that is pretty odd, Im sure the christian coalition is trying to figure out a way to blame this on the devil.

mmorpg ROC specifically states that you are required to change all threads into bashings on religion, well done!

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by gnomexxx

What's the worst that could happen?

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Bush fired up his weather machine!

New Orleans better watch out. :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

A new NASA satellite has recorded the first detailed images from space of a mysterious type of cloud called “night-shining” or “noctilucent."
    The clouds are on the move, brightening and creeping out of polar regions, and researchers don't know why.
    "It is clear that these clouds are changing, a sign that a part of our atmosphere is changing and we do not understand how, why or what it means," said atmospheric scientists James Russell III of Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. "These observations suggest a connection with global change in the lower atmosphere and could represent an early warning that our Earth environment is being changed."
    The "Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere” (AIM) satellite first imaged the noctilucent clouds May 25. People on the ground began seeing them June 6 over Northern Europe.
    The clouds form 50 miles above the Earth’s surface, in an upper layer of the atmosphere called the mesosphere. The puffs of water vapor and crystals appear during summer months above the Northern Hemisphere's pole as well the Southern Hemisphere’s pole in summer.
    AIM will record two complete cloud seasons over both regions, effectively documenting an entire life cycle of the shiny clouds for the first time. Researchers hope to figure out why noctilucent clouds form and how they might be related to global climate change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_clouds is this it?

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Originally posted by heartless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_clouds is this it?

Uhhhmmmm...  Yeah, it's in the article. 

The point is, there are new ones where they have never been before.

===============================

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

ZOMG!!!!

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

Could be normal.

Part of one of the articles: 

Researchers first observed noctilucent clouds in 1885 following the eruption of the Krakatoa volcano, though the exact nature of their genesis remains a mystery. Added to the pot is the clouds' odd increase in frequency in recent years, sometimes in regions previously void of such displays, prompting some researchers to link their formation to worldwide climate changes such as global warming.

"It's a natural question to ask 'Why are we seeing them now when we haven't before,'" Russell said.

Noctilucent clouds tend to occur between about May 15 to Aug. 20, with a peak in activity about 20 days after the summer solstice on June 21

I understand the point, that there are new ones in places that don't normally have them.  The posted article doesn't explain it very well though, and makes it seem much scarier then it may be.

Wish Darkfall would release.

• CochizeCochize Member Posts: 211

It's Galactus

• WraithmireWraithmire Member Posts: 328

I think its aliens!

See, these aliens are sending a beam of invisible light and creating these clouds to kill us all...then they'll probably eat us and settle earth. To protect us from this attack, lets all wear aluminum hats, I wear one every day.

-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
    I have a Youtube channel for video games! http://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

Originally posted by Cochize
    It's Galactus

Who?

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

I think we better start prepping our melodrama and fake patriotism.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Originally posted by Coldmeat

It's Galactus

Who?

Thats UNICRON From the transformers movie [the old cartoon one].

Galactus was the big baddie from 'The Fantastic Four'.

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260

Originally posted by JADEDRAG0N

It's Galactus

Who?

THANK YOU!  I coudln't figure out were I knew the character from.  I knew it was from the Transformers, but couldn't put my finger on exactly wich character it was.

Damn, I loved that movie. 

Wish Darkfall would release.

It's Galactus

Who?

Yeah, that was pretty much the point of my posting the picture.

Unicron >> Galactus.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I really never liked the Fantastic Four. But do put Galactus among the best of characters(Should be with Xmen comics). He fits up there with Darth Vader, Sauron, Von Straud,Kirk(Star trek).

Of the comic books even before movies about them I only like two particular sets. Xmen and Batman(Dark Knight) series. Although I did enjoy Ghostider as well.

oops ninjaing, sorry.

As far as the clouds, should be expected.  The layer of atmosphere where the clouds form are compartively thinner than they should be. In part due to global warming. But also part of the earths natural cycle. This was discussed a couple years back. but in-particular to the Aurora Borealis disappearing.

If you are interested. Here is a link:  www.esf.org/fileadmin/be_user/publications/Aurorea_Borealis.pdf

Enjoy!

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105
    Originally posted by gpett

Oooh, pretty picture:
    tivac.com/images/backgrounds/AuroraBorealis.jpg

Thanks i just sett hat as my new wallpaper.

It's Galactus

Who?

Yeah, that was pretty much the point of my posting the picture.

Unicron >> Galactus.

Yea i get it now and i agree unicron is much better.