Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox and fantasy MMO?

fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364

So are there any sandbox MMOs out there that are fantasy based?

When I say sandbox, I'm thinking Eve-ish.

Comments

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Yes.  Vanguard.  The world is enormous, the array of options for solo and small group is breathtaking.  If you like that, and your PC can handle Vanguard, you will really enjoy it.

You might find this useful: www.journeyswithjaye.com/

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• EggFteggEggFtegg Member Posts: 1,141

Ryzom is a sandbox. Fantasy, but not the usual dwarves and elves etc.

• TsollessTsolless Member Posts: 448

Originally posted by truenorthbg

Yes.  Vanguard.  The world is enormous, the array of options for solo and small group is breathtaking.  If you like that, and your PC can handle Vanguard, you will really enjoy it.

Very... Very... Very small groups. But yeah I was looking into Vanguard as, yes my computer is top line. Only thing is there is no trial and I don't feel like downloading a 20 gig piece of crap and getting a sub just to find that i can't even play it because it is bugged.

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364

Originally posted by truenorthbg

If you can't build and/or raze player cities, it's not a sandbox (at least as far as I'm concerned).

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

Can you build cities in EVE?

You can build houses and guild houses in Vanguard, but not in Ryzom. Ryzom has only apartments - or "outposts" to fight over. But in my opinion Ryzom is more of a sandbox as you are not locked to a class, and will have to find your own path as questing matters very little.

Ultima Online should be sandboxy I think.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by frkhot97

Can you build cities in EVE? Yes tho we call them P.O.S and Outposts and when the planetry stuff comes Collonys and cities. All of which [excluding the outposts] can be destroyed if the attacker wishes.
    You can build houses and guild houses in Vanguard, but not in Ryzom. Ryzom has only apartments - or "outposts" to fight over. But in my opinion Ryzom is more of a sandbox as you are not locked to a class, and will have to find your own path as questing matters very little.
    Ultima Online should be sandboxy I think.

As to the OP sorry but as soon as i got hooked by EvE i pretty much stopped looking for MMO's as they all seem to follow the same basic game structure of leveling up class systems and Mob killing to advance.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

I guess you have to wait and hope for darkfall.

All other games now available(Ryzom and UO) are rather old and outdated, and do not have as much features as EvE.

If you want something like EvE, or even a improvement of it, in a fantasy setting, then the only answer is, there is no fantasy sandbox game available with that features at the moment.

• Runefruit10Runefruit10 Member Posts: 42

Hope for Darkfall..hope for Darkfall

Among The Shadows
    http://atsdf.com/

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Ryzon is the one whch comes to mind. I honestly dont know too much about Vanguard to say itf it is or not

Torrential

• K.o.v.eK.o.v.e Member Posts: 227

Well theres Second Life if you want a "free" one.

Although Ive never play it...

• chillikingchilliking Member UncommonPosts: 240

Perfect World..   best f2p ATM..          

• Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229

You can build and destroy cities in Shadowbane.

Perfect World is a cool game.  The 300ms+ ping I get to Malaysian server is just too much lag for my liking though.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

I would definately reccomend Ryzom! It's a total sandbox style game but it does not have player built housing.