Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Hickman and Barnett, Games Day: Part 2

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Joe Iuliani and Anthony Love attended the recent Games Day for Games Workshop's Warhammer. Of course, EA Mythic had a presence, and Joe and Anythony were able to catch up with that team's dynamic duo Jeff Hickman and Paul Barnett for an interview. Enjoy part two!

Joe:

With the public quests, as you mentioned before, the community of Warhammer Online is the driving focus?

Jeff:

I think that's the driving focus of any MMO.

Joe:

You would think, but a lot of games are like do this, turn in, do this turn in. Or just LFG, LFG.

Jeff:

If you talk to Mark Jacobs, the first thing he'll say about public quests, "It's my way of trying to help people, of meeting other people" and he's right, there are a lot things that public quests do. That's one of the big things you're in that area and not grouped with anybody but there are so many people online already there doing the same things you're doing. "you wanna come help me? Oh cool, let's get together, we can do this better".

Paul:

It's an evolution of the questing system. It's saying what about MMOs do people really love? It's doing a quest that means something. I like having a lot of fun, they like doing big things and the way it's been done in the past, you forced people to group. What we've done is given people the ability to just go in and say, "My God, there's a giant over there and he's smashed the hell out of that wall, and I'm gonna go help." That's why you can join up at anytime, you join at any stage, there are three hundred of them (public quests) across the land. They're all epic, we just saw one recently that ends with a dwarven train...

Read the whole interview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

What a great energy for their game!  Im excited to play it.  Keep up the energy levels fellas!  Get more info out on the Chaos Zealots! Elves are simply pawns!

• HorpseHorpse Member Posts: 27

this article clears shows that WAR is REINVENTING mmorpg, not some what some peeps say about rehash.

• efrench9efrench9 Member Posts: 10

I shall be..... (insert uber name here)....Squig herder extraordinaire !!!!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I refuse to play any mmorpg with EA logo on it...they have even worse history with mmorpgs than SOE.

They turned UO in to poop, canned earth & beyond before westwood even had chance to make it flourish, canned two ultima sequels that had some of the most hardcore following ever, the sims online (Do i need to even explain that?)...as a mmorpg publisher, they simply suck.

and Mythic...ToA was even worse kick in the nuts than NGE was...direct proof of that is that only daoc servers that people still play on is the classic ones.

• davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

glad i signed up for beta already

*crosses fingers*

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by kishe

I refuse to play any mmorpg with EA logo on it...they have even worse history with mmorpgs than SOE.
    They turned UO in to poop, canned earth & beyond before westwood even had chance to make it flourish, canned two ultima sequels that had some of the most hardcore following ever, the sims online (Do i need to even explain that?)...as a mmorpg publisher, they simply suck.

and Mythic...ToA was even worse kick in the nuts than NGE was...direct proof of that is that only daoc servers that people still play on is the classic ones.

EA is just a publisher, not a developer. I can tell the devs of this game know what they're doing. They would probably temporarily shut the game down and leave EA for another publisher before they obey some orders from EA to do some drastic change that'd screw the game up. This is finally a MMORPG that brings some new, exciting features to the table, not just an uncharted IP. They also have Games Workshop overseeing it, so if any company, outside of the dev team, is going to screw with this game, it is going to be Games Workshop, not EA.

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

I think the reason that EA Mythic is the MMORPG development group of EA is because EA realized they suck at mmorpgs just like you said.

And there's one difference between SWG and DAoC.  At least Mythic gives the option of playing on a classic server.  SOE didn't even give the option of playing SWG without the NGE crap.

I'm pretty sure Mythic has learned from their mistakes.  At least they seem to have.  Hopefully this will ring true when the game is out.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

Do your homework noob, before you go off on a tangent like a guy who got his heart broken by a girl.

Whhaaaaa... I refuse to date any girls again becuase I once had my heart broken..... now..... i just blow dudes.

• XvoidXvoid Member Posts: 4

1. When the  beta starts you can make fresh and correct evaluation.

2 . If a start the beta .....Dwarf E  ...or   B O  .

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

The thing that really excites me about Warhammer (of course beyond it being Warhammer afterall) is that they are apparently trying to bring something new to the table.  Public quests and everything else sounds to be too good to be true.  Hopefully they are capable of making it as fun as they hype it up to be.

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

Originally posted by checkthis500

I think the reason that EA Mythic is the MMORPG development group of EA is because EA realized they suck at mmorpgs just like you said.

And there's one difference between SWG and DAoC.  At least Mythic gives the option of playing on a classic server.  SOE didn't even give the option of playing SWG without the NGE crap.

I'm pretty sure Mythic has learned from their mistakes.  At least they seem to have.  Hopefully this will ring true when the game is out.

I have to agree, I hope EA keeps their mitts out of this and lets Mythic do all the work. I too have been scalded by EA and as everyone else( so it seems) SOE. Lets hope this game is as great as the devs seem to make it.

I like their energy and their passion. That's one huge thing that seems to be missing from alot of MMO's, devs who actually care about making the game fun.

• ivan50265ivan50265 Member Posts: 67

Personally I just hope this game meats up to the hype. If it does we're in for a great game.

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

At least we know EA has the cash to support a proper server-farm :)

------------------------------

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by mcharj11
    Unfortunately EU players are still going to be on GOA servers and i havn't heard one good thing about GOA.

Wth why? :/ that sounds like a silly setup imo.

------------------------------

• AkousmataAkousmata Member Posts: 72

Quick question if anyone can answer.  It mentioned in the interview that they have closed Beta Applications.  If I had my application in before the close date (which I did) will they still consider me for playing the Beta or have they closed off accepting people into the Beta entirely as opposed to just accepting applications?

• DrekorDrekor Member UncommonPosts: 22

"...we've cornered the market on PVP"

Does Jeff have his head in the sand or something? Did he forget that AoC and Darkfall are both moving into beta stages? or that both games are claiming to offer a better pvp experience? By looking at the information I'd say they're right to, both AoC and Darkfall have player build assets(cities!), FFA combat as well as full blown sieges resulting in destruction of your opponents cities. That's epic pvp content and it doesn't magically reset on you. Not to mention AoC's combat system is a fresh breeze through the MMORPG market with their 6 point melee combat and spellweaving. Darkfall offers skill based gameplay not level based crap.

The game and the developers seem to be way overhyping what they have. I think they'll only be eating scraps off the table from WoW, while AoC/Darkfall and other games like Guild Wars 2 and Fury are taking the real pvpers.

Drekor Silverfang
    The Shipwrecked Pirates

• LoupsterLoupster Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Drekor

Does Jeff have his head in the sand or something? Did he forget that AoC and Darkfall are both moving into beta stages? or that both games are claiming to offer a better pvp experience? By looking at the information I'd say they're right to, both AoC and Darkfall have player build assets(cities!), FFA combat as well as full blown sieges resulting in destruction of your opponents cities. That's epic pvp content and it doesn't magically reset on you. Not to mention AoC's combat system is a fresh breeze through the MMORPG market with their 6 point melee combat and spellweaving. Darkfall offers skill based gameplay not level based crap.
    The game and the developers seem to be way overhyping what they have. I think they'll only be eating scraps off the table from WoW, while AoC/Darkfall and other games like Guild Wars 2 and Fury are taking the real pvpers.

Have you played War?? Because some of the things you are saying should only be said by someone who has actually played the beta. I don't see how you can say things like "The game and the developers seem to be way overhyping what they have." without first having actually played the game. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. Jeff does not have his head in the sand because from what I see War may not have quite the large scale that Darkfall will have but the PvP is going to be a lot faster, more chaotic and easier to get into. Don't forget that while seiging player cities is cool and sounds fun it's not like these fun large scale battles are going to be happenning hourly. the game wouldn't be very player freindly if your city was constantly under seige and got destroyed an hour after you built it, these kind of battles will probably take a lot of planning and build up before anything "epic" happens. I think War is going to have massive success!

-Snowman <- this name was taken.....but I like it more

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

darkfall has been coming out so long, most of the people no longer expect it to come out, or at best you'll have a version 2 of vanguard (not in game mechanics, but as in "overhyped, buged, unfished game, missing most of the things it promissed and not even being good with the things implemented" kind of way)

AoC will have pvp, but very different kind of pvp, so not really comparable to what war will have. A better statement would eb that mythic has cornered rvr or faction based pvp though, but he still has a point.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Just as well EA are just the publishers then.

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668

Originally posted by Drekor

Darkfall has been "ready to move into beta stages" for years. If it every does, then you can seriously bring it up into conversation.

AoC's graphics will severally limit large PvP. Most people just don't have the computer power to do that.

While Built Cities are cool in their own right, they probably won't be as detial as the pre-rendered cities in WAR. If you look at past games, it's always been like that and I haven't seen AoC claim to add a large ammount of detial to them.

Not everyone enjoys FFA combat. In WAR you know who your allies are, and you don't have to take hours to form alliances before getting into PvP. You can just say "Hey, you're a Dwarf. Let's go fight greenskins!"

Seiges might be really cool. They might suck. I think it's all in implimentation, which won't be revealed until AoC comes out. But I never liked how AoC's devs keep their mouthes clothed as much as possible.

AoC's Combat is the same way. It could be really cool. It could be broketastic.

WAR isn't level based. Yes, you "level up", but when you do so it's skilled based. As opposed to this "I use my 'swing sword' skill 23 three times! Yay, skill up!"

I think you need to read up on WAR before you claim over-hype. Yeah, this interveiw was a little braggy, but the game has a lot of new features with good mentality behind them.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

much better than part 1

• DarkpawnDarkpawn Member Posts: 4

i signed up for beta and want to play this one sooooo bad, Rock on guys, the game looks top of the line!! an and Orc Blackguard shall I be!

• TheeboTheebo Member Posts: 2

Having played DaoC since day 1 and basically been through every change and expansion with Mythic I know they won't let EA mess with WAR.  Mythic learns from their mistakes (TOA) and moves forward.They would never have signed up with EA if they didn't keep creative control of the game.

War sounds like it really will do some things different and as anyone  who knows PvP DaoC still has the best  so you know WAR is only gonig to take that and make it better. WAR is giving the team at Mythic the opportunity to upgrade the DaoC model with all the new and exciting code that they really can't do in DaoC.

Everything they have talked about sounds new compared to most of the other MMO's in development. I hope it really does execute as well in the game. I had a brief opportunity to play in Vegas last year and that was a long time ago. It was sooth and fun then I can only imagine how far they have come since then.

Mythic is one company that really does lisen to it's player base and have showed they care what people think about the product. I for one will be playing WAR no questions asked.......this game hopefully will be ground breaking. 

Imagination gives us great power but only wisdom puts it to good use.