Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Truth about SWG

DriztDrizt Member Posts: 29

curently the game is bugged to hell...the devs are much more concerned about the jedi system than the regular player problems..such as not getting paid for missions...and the pvp combat is horrible...i advise people not to lay a finger on this game...the only reason i still play it is bbecause of the friendships in the game...when EQ2 comes out goodbye swg and hello eq2

Comments

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

I wish i could like this game more than i do, but the odds are stacked firmly against me.

Reasons...

Pve combat is poor. Yesterday each time i attracted aggro a master commando and swordsman 1 2 2 3 couldn't pull aggro from me. Even though i unequipped my weapon and stood still like a lemon. Having 3 klikniks biting at me i was resigned to my fate! How i miss the single enrage style on my paladin which could save another player on Daoc. Four flaming visits back to Corellia and then back to Geo cave yesterday. I would love to see what would happen to SWG if doctors buffs were removed!

It's a griefers pleasuredome. Credit duping earlier on in the game meant some unscrupulous people made credits out of thin air. Two professions rule the roost in pve and pvp. Abuse of these powers means casual players can't enjoy any of the new content...i:e overly dificult dungeons to which only swordsman can afk while a pistoleer will work his t!ts off and still get nowhere. "So much for Explorors SWG is meant for casual players"

I suppose there will be a post saying don't play it if you don't like it but in my defence...

I suppose i'm one of the people who hopes things will change.

If you have ever lived in England you know how crap the TV is!

Guess you could say i had a bad day Sunday on SWG

Fear leads to hate, hate leads to suffering... was Yoda talking about SWG?

Pan

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by Drizt

curently the game is bugged to hell...the devs are much more concerned about the jedi system than the regular player problems..such as not getting paid for missions...and the pvp combat is horrible...i advise people not to lay a finger on this game...the only reason i still play it is bbecause of the friendships in the game...when EQ2 comes out goodbye swg and hello eq2

Haven't had a mission payout problem in....probably 8 months.

Publishes 11 & 12 are devoted to the combat balance.

Yep, let's all move from an established, stable, bug free game to a new game that will undoubtedly have bugs so we can hear this complaint from people again.  How about no.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

TookyG

In fairness to Driz, a few weeks back mission payouts were very buggy (but only ones i saw were on Dant). What annoyed me more was the vanishing half dead quenkers and loss of xp image

Pan

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Ok so let me get this straight, your going to go from one game that is buggy as hell by your standards to another game, made by the same company. A company which has a reputation for beta testing on the paying base, releasing expansions incomplete, and giving the very lowest of customer support, to another game, made by the exact same company? Well you must really enjoy let downs.

And for those that wanna tell me the original dev team is back on this one, yada yada yada. All I have to say is, they were on the first one too, and then they were pulled off and any lacky was allowed to handle and develop everquest and from what I am hearing by the masses SWG as well. As I recall the SWG launch was a "touch" rocky.

There isn't even a final product yet but everyone is sold how great EQ 2 is gonna be regardless of SOE's reputation anymore for quality of service and product. Why should Sony worry about quality when they can just make one horrible game that will drive everyone else to their next project everytime?

I don't care how good EQ 2 looks or how tempting it is, I am not gonna get myself well established in the game and then have Sony slowly and quietly start pulling my service and product quality from me down the road.

Now go ahead, flame on about how this time its gonna be different, this time they have this person, this time they are doing this, and whatever else you want. Close your eyes to the obvious and follow them like a good little consumer instead of following their reputation.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

People can continue to post their negative remarks about SWG and SOE, that is all a matter of opinion.

The fact is, SOE has been working hard on SWG since the beginning.  I agree the game was released to early with too many bugs and other problems, but it has come a long way and has been improved regularly.  It still has a long way to go before it really will shine, but it is still potentially a great mmorpg.

I have never had a play stopping bug.  I have actually rarely ever been bothered by a game mechanic that was broken.  I guess I am just very laid back about it.  I will report what I find, but then go on and try other things.  I don't dwell on it, but I do make sure things are being fixed, and they are. 

Unfortunately, there are still many things that need fixing, and the people who constantly put down SWG have this in their defense.  I still think it is hard to call a mmorpg a failure when the developers are still improving it.  When they stop working on making the game better, then I agree it is time to start bashing and pointing fingers. 

The agrument about having to pay a monthly fee for a broken game can be made also.  I hate paying for a game that is broken, but SWG is not broken, it works fine for most players.  Some players are still having probems, though, and many have left the game because of it, but the player base is still pretty strong and I have even seen and heard about many old players returning after some of the patches and fixes have improved the game.

Anyway, I have written this before but I will write it again . . .  SWG is different than a lot of other mmorpgs.  It offers so much more in the gameplay.  There may not be as much content and high end gameplay, there may not be a lot for the power-gamers, but it is very nice for the casual players, and especially nice for the roleplayers.  This cannot be said about any other mmorpg I have played as they have all been made similar to EQ, the power-gamers paradise. 

Tymora. Not much in SWG for powergamers?

How many proff's have a chance of killing a nightsister elder?

How many proff's can navigate the Geo cave, bunker and Corvette?

How many people can afford the +15 skill tapes going for 4 or 5 million a pop?

Powergaming is creeping into SWG if you haven't noticed.

Pan

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I haven't noticed.

Anyway, if powergamers do creep into SWG, it doesn't matter, because they will not influence the game as drastically as they do in Everquest. 

In EQ, it was necessary to play like a powergamer to see all of the content in the game.  In SWG, it goes by profession, as you pointed out.  You play the way you want, picking a profession that will allow you to enjoy specific play styles.

I have heard it said that there are really only a few professions that powergamers choose.  The game should be fun for everyone, so it is good that even powergamers can enjoy SWG.  But they can be there and I would not even know it, that is really my point.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Drizt

hehe i disagree. Plus if you think EQ2 will be better in terms of bugs, etc., then ..well.....you'll find out on your own image

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by panache

I wish i could like this game more than i do, but the odds are stacked firmly against me.

Reasons...

Pve combat is poor. Yesterday each time i attracted aggro a master commando and swordsman 1 2 2 3 couldn't pull aggro from me. Even though i unequipped my weapon and stood still like a lemon. Having 3 klikniks biting at me i was resigned to my fate! How i miss the single enrage style on my paladin which could save another player on Daoc. Four flaming visits back to Corellia and then back to Geo cave yesterday. I would love to see what would happen to SWG if doctors buffs were removed!

PvE combat has been improved significantly.  SOunds like you had a rotten day and now blaming all of the current programming and flaws from that one event.

Also, I fought MOBs for over 7 months without doctor buffs and did quite fine (and yes, I hunted on Dathomir and Dantoinne and no I was not a CH)

It's a griefers pleasuredome. Credit duping earlier on in the game meant some unscrupulous people made credits out of thin air. Two professions rule the roost in pve and pvp. Abuse of these powers means casual players can't enjoy any of the new content...i:e overly dificult dungeons to which only swordsman can afk while a pistoleer will work his t!ts off and still get nowhere. "So much for Explorors SWG is meant for casual players"

The credit duper issue came to a halt back in October....havent seen one problem since then, Heck, I even did a search on the official forums.  That argument you made has already been fixed months ago.

I am not a Swordsman and Im having a blast (and yes, Im a pistoleer). Ive fought in Deathwatch bunker, geo cave, Warran, and the Cruiser.  I ahven't witnessed my self "working my tits off"  I tend to be a casual player (I play only 1 to 2 hours a day) and I have plenty of things to do and things to kill

I suppose there will be a post saying don't play it if you don't like it but in my defence...

I suppose i'm one of the people who hopes things will change.

I'm just like you...I used to hate it and I went back and now enjoying it because things were changed

If you have ever lived in England you know how crap the TV is!

Guess you could say i had a bad day Sunday on SWG

Fear leads to hate, hate leads to suffering... was Yoda talking about SWG?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Hiya Enigma

Every time i've been to the Geo cave has been the same unfortunately. Whatever happened to the armoursmith you were making? :)

Methinks i should try Enigma's server to see if it's any more fun :)

Pan

• Originally posted by Drizt

You had zero, 0, zero posts before making this quote of yours. It looks like you are a fan of EQ and EQ2 since you blatantly post about EQ2 in a forum that is NOT about EQ2. Combat in EQ (and EQ2) is babyfood vs the combat in SWG which requires far more planning, and thinking. Since you like the EQ series soo much... go play EQ and EQ2. image SWG was ment on purpose to be different than EQ (and EQ2.) Just like there are thoudsands of players who dislike the super successful EQ, there are going to be players who dislike SWG. I too find it funny you expect EQ2 to be bug free, scam free, with no problems in combat balances, etc.... heheh. Especially when EQ has the record of having bugs for the LONGEST! Years of having the same bugs. And years of having unbalanced combat, nerfed combat, etc.... *helps Drizit pack up and move over to EQ2*

Since you are making such a serious statement about SWG...... Just so we have a better idea where you are coming from:

- What server name do you play on?

- How long have you played SWG? When was the last time you played SWG?

- What is the name of your character? What name to you post under at the Official SWG forums?

- Did you join any PAs? Which one?

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

Hiya Explor

What professions have you tried and enjoyed?

ta :)

Pan

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Sheesh, fanboys here need to wake up and open their eyes to reality.... I'm the biggest star wars fan ever and even I know crap when I smell it.

To the idiot who said credit duping was fixed... how dumb are you ? Does it really matter that its fixed now ? The damage is done nitwit. Take a look on E-Bay and you'll still see players selling 50 million credits. The economy is hoplessly ruined now becase of it.

To the person who said SWG is casual player friendly. What planet are you from ? To succeed in this game in combat you need 200k brandy, 300k armor, 2 million credit elite weapons, 10k buffs every 3 hours, tips for mind buffs, travel costs, repair tools, on and on and on. It takes millions to get really going in this game. Otherwise your stuck shooting rats outside Bestine with a cdef pistol. You'll have no chance outdamaging some uber powergamer in the geo caves or krayt graveyard. Try crafting nowadays, impossible to compete anymore unless you have 30 million credits worth of SEA to get 12 experiment points. How is that fair to casual gamers who only have 10 experiment points to work with ?

Yes the game is a mess, in fact wanna know why I'm here instead of playing ? Cause the damn server just crashed. 11 months after release and the servers are still unstable and require daily reboots... pathetic.

• HrnacHrnac Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by admriker444

Sheesh, fanboys here need to wake up and open their eyes to reality.... I'm the biggest star wars fan ever and even I know crap when I smell it.
    To the idiot who said credit duping was fixed... how dumb are you ? Does it really matter that its fixed now ? The damage is done nitwit. Take a look on E-Bay and you'll still see players selling 50 million credits. The economy is hoplessly ruined now becase of it.
    To the person who said SWG is casual player friendly. What planet are you from ? To succeed in this game in combat you need 200k brandy, 300k armor, 2 million credit elite weapons, 10k buffs every 3 hours, tips for mind buffs, travel costs, repair tools, on and on and on. It takes millions to get really going in this game. Otherwise your stuck shooting rats outside Bestine with a cdef pistol. You'll have no chance outdamaging some uber powergamer in the geo caves or krayt graveyard. Try crafting nowadays, impossible to compete anymore unless you have 30 million credits worth of SEA to get 12 experiment points. How is that fair to casual gamers who only have 10 experiment points to work with ?
    Yes the game is a mess, in fact wanna know why I'm here instead of playing ? Cause the damn server just crashed. 11 months after release and the servers are still unstable and require daily reboots... pathetic.

Well I guess all the fun I have been having as a casual player (1-2 hours a night) must be a horrible illusion. Thanks for raining on my parade Admriker444.

-Hrnac

Sorry but its true I'm afraid. Today I'll give you a classic example of the type of "gaming" going on in SWG now.

I'm a poor doc, spend 6k buying packs for buffing so when I sell buffs for 9k I'm not really making much (less when counting expensive Bivoli food required to compete). Some powergamer came along and starts spamming " FREE BUFFS, 2500 HAM" When I asked him why the heck was he giving away free buffs, he replied "just because I can, dont need the money cause I have 90 million and just to piss you off !" Sure enough my line dropped down to nothing except for a few loyal customers.

Nothing I could do there except leave with my tail between my legs.

Oh yeah, almost forgot this... try opening a shop with a vendor on your own now. Impossible to say the least to succeed. All everyone goes to nowadays are the giant Malls with 20 vendors inside. Gone are the days when a single crafter could survive by himself. Ive been trying to recuit some vendors to turn my shop into a mini-mall to attract more traffic. However I'm always turned down once they find out its NOT located by theed or coronet. Nobody wants to place a vendor anywhere except near Theed or Coronet these days. So my only other option is to pack up and try and squeeze myself into the thousands of other buildings near theed or coronet, yuck.

At least I'm somewhat established though. Newb crafters are totally screwed. They simply can't compete with only 10 experiment points to work with. What's even worse is many of the master crafters are going to Eisley to win the hearts of the newb combat types. They're giving away chitin or cheap ubese armor and basically killing any newb armorsmith crafter in the process. I ran into a newb crafter (artisan novice) who was quitting because nobody wanted to buy tools or powerups because some masters were in town giving the stuff away for free. He has no chance to work his way up (like I did) by selling chitin or mabari armor when masters are giving the stuff away or dumping it on bazaar for cheap prices.

Long gone are the days when I was a successful (non-guilded) armorsmith with a shop (Lok) and one vendor in it. Casual gaming died about the time the first force slot opened.

I saw the very same things happen during my 5+ years in UO. They are a sad reality in these types of games. I must ask you whether you think it is the games fault or the players. I tend to think that both are too blame, with the players being a bit more at fault.

-Hrnac

Thats a tough call there. I would have to say the fault originates with SOE since they built a game that allows for such crap. The rampant kill stealing going on has driven most of your decent moral players away. All thats left are 13 yr old kids who we all know are notorious for griefing for fun in mmorpgs. They could have eliminated this problem like final fantasy has by not allowing anyone to attack a mob you've already engaged combat with. Or they could have made mob spawns more random and widely dispersed so camping wouldn't be rampant. In fact, I recall one of SOE's selling points (besides being casual gamer friendly) was the end of camping.

Player-run economy seemed like a dream to us at first but SOE messed this up too. Factories gave out 100% xp back then if you stood close enough. As a result, you had a bunch of masters running around who should have taken a month or 2 to master (at least). Factories didn't help small-time independent crafters either (i remember thinking I'll never use a factory cause I'd rather make things by hand, didnt know I had to). With a guild backing you and proper connections, you could pump out thousands of weapons a day. Try and compete as a novice weaponsmith making dl44 pistols with 44-90 damage when a master makes 500 dl44's a day (you cant even afford medium harvesters at this point) with ridiculous stats. Then later on even after slowly leveling up, you still can't compete cause the master's weapons keep getting better because he 1.) has money to buy the uber loot to make weapons better and 2.) has the money and equimpment to mine millions of units of the finest resources available. Its simply a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. This all started with the factory xp exploit, so I blame SOE.

Finally, the credit duping was widely known by SOE so again their fault. Players were reporting this like crazy to csr or devs, they did nothing. Finally after this went on for what seemed like forever, SOE released a patch that fixed the problem. Meanwhile the damage was done. With so much money around, inflation struck. Composite armor quickly went up in price. Any type of rare loot, krayt pearls, holocrons, crystals, etc all sold in auctions for millions and millions of credits. Any newb coming in simply can't catch up.

• Originally posted by panache

Hiya Explor
    What professions have you tried and enjoyed?
    ta :)

Check out the screenshot links in my signature.

I've fully played and explored every single profession in SWG execpt for Squad Leader. I've played on every single server. (Only way I could check out soo many professions LOL.)

My favorite profession is the one I like to role-play my main character as (Han Solo-type):

Pistoleer with some medic. I enjoy the mining game mechanic in SWG so do mining skills as my 3rd profession with a bit of creature handler skills to have a low level pet.

I also have a 2nd main character who's heavy on medic and combat medic skills.

The rest of my characters were made strictly to explore the game as much as possible in the shortest period of time. Not to be main characters. I purchased 3 games, 2 for me, 1 for my cousin. The past few months one of my friends has been playing the 2nd game. I've played every single major MMORPG except for UO. IMHO all of them are NICE, each one has different positives and negatives.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• Originally posted by admriker444

He naver called you or anyone else names. Why are you resorting to calling him names? BTW, I doubt you have ever played SWG. Because if you have you would know that players cannot transfer characters to different servers. One of the earliest servers - Bloodfin - was a duper's haven, griefers haven, scammers haven, etc...

SWG has added MANY new servers. Even as recently as a few months ago 5 more NEW servers have been added. Half of all the total servers in SWG have been added after the credit duping bugs and gliches were fixed. And since there are no cross server character transfers, there is no way a player on E-Bay can give someone on another server 50 million credits, 1 credit, or any credits. This is NOT EverQuest. image

To the person who said SWG is casual player friendly. What planet are you from ? To succeed in this game in combat you need 200k brandy, 300k armor, 2 million credit elite weapons, 10k buffs every 3 hours, tips for mind buffs, travel costs, repair tools, on and on and on. It takes millions to get really going in this game. Otherwise your stuck shooting rats outside Bestine with a cdef pistol. You'll have no chance outdamaging some uber powergamer in the geo caves or krayt graveyard.

Ever try joining a PA? SWG is also intended to be a community game. This means groups of players working together have the best chances of taking down uber monsters, Krayt Dragons, and armies of other players.

Try crafting nowadays, impossible to compete anymore unless you have 30 million credits worth of SEA to get 12 experiment points. How is that fair to casual gamers who only have 10 experiment points to work with ?

Again, SWG is a MMORPG. Not a stand alone game. Stand alone games are more intended for solo players. SWG is very intended for players to be able to dc more by grouping with other like minded players. It is possible to play solo in SWG, but then what is the point of playing a MMORPG?

What is the name of the server you play on? What day and time did it crash?

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• Originally posted by admriker444

Sorry but its true I'm afraid. Today I'll give you a classic example of the type of "gaming" going on in SWG now.
    I'm a poor doc, spend 6k buying packs for buffing so when I sell buffs for 9k I'm not really making much (less when counting expensive Bivoli food required to compete). Some powergamer came along and starts spamming " FREE BUFFS, 2500 HAM" When I asked him why the heck was he giving away free buffs, he replied "just because I can, dont need the money cause I have 90 million and just to piss you off !" Sure enough my line dropped down to nothing except for a few loyal customers.
    Nothing I could do there except leave with my tail between my legs.

Eh dude, do you know that there are many other planets out there? Each with its own capital city, plus other major cities? If Theed and Coronet are bad markets, move to another planet! Many cities on Tantooine do very nice buisness, set up shop near one of them. Put your items for sale at the bazaars on other planets players like to hunt on like Lok, Dathomir, etc... Every planet has a different market. Every city has a different market. There is no 1 market for the entire game.

If worse comes to worse, move to one of the newer servers where there are less established veteran players and less veteran PAs.  That IS the main reason for SWG releasing new servers - to give newer players a better chance vs starting out on say... Bloodfin, or Starsider...etc..

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Originally posted by Hrnac

I saw the very same things happen during my 5+ years in UO. They are a sad reality in these types of games. I must ask you whether you think it is the games fault or the players. I tend to think that both are too blame, with the players being a bit more at fault.
    -Hrnac

Hiya Hrnac

I have to say i firmly come down on the side of it being SOE's fault. There are always players who will find loopholes in any game or real life. But i don't think all the mmorpg's put together have the amount of things that can be exploited by less unscrupulous players that SWG has.

I too sympathise with Admir's vendor problem. On Eclipse two great shopping mall metropolis's have sprung up 1k from Theed and Corellia putting the small time trader at some disadvantage.

Pan

Pan

I too sympathise with Admir's vendor problem. On Eclipse two great shopping mall metropolis's have sprung up 1k from Theed and Corellia putting the small time trader at some disadvantage.
    Pan

LOL, I guess that would be like having a Super Walmart store move into your town. Looks like games do emulate real life sometimes.

-Hrnac

Originally posted by xplororor

SWG has added MANY new servers. Even as recently as a few months ago 5 more NEW servers have been added. Half of all the total servers in SWG have been added after the credit duping bugs and gliches were fixed. And since there are no cross server character transfers, there is no way a player on E-Bay can give someone on another server 50 million credits, 1 credit, or any credits.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wonder If cross server trade of lots can be construed as credit duping? People are making money from lots far in excess of their allotted ten.
    Hmm...
    Pan 

Pan

Hiya Enigma
    Every time i've been to the Geo cave has been the same unfortunately. Whatever happened to the armoursmith you were making? :)
    Methinks i should try Enigma's server to see if it's any more fun :)

lol right now Im an armorsmith 4/3/3/2 COmmando 0/0/3/0 Pistoleer 0/1/1/0

so Im still going armorsmith (Master) and when that happens Ill drop pistoleer and be armortsmith 4/4/4/4 and commando 2/4/4/4