Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unbiased opinion on vanguard

can anybody give me a unbiased opinion to Vanguard?

how can u compare it to wow. I don't have a super computer that is needed to run it but am thinking about quiting wow.

any and all info would be nice to know from homes to mounts to reputattion grinding crafting questing ect ect.

Comments

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by hatebreed0

how can u compare it to wow. I don't have a super computer that is needed to run it but am thinking about quiting wow.
    any and all info would be nice to know from homes to mounts to reputattion grinding crafting questing ect ect.

I think I can, but I think MMORPG did a fair and mostly accurately review of the game. 

It is hard for me to compare it to WoW, although I played WoW for nearly one year as a Guild leader of a very successful guild that has last a number of years, even after I abdicated.  The class system in Vanguard, I think, is superior and more fun.  Leveling is certainly slower in Vanguard than WoW, but I found leveling to be much more fun and interesting.  The Quests are better. 

If you do not have a super computer, you can run Vanguard but you cannot run well.  PLEASE READ:  The upcoming Update 2 and patch are supposed to really improve on this, though.

The houses in Vanguard are not instanced.  In other words, you will have a physical home in the world that is your own.  It is pretty cool, but the houses are extremely expensive.  My current guild pretty much has its own town on an island.  NOTE:  The SWG, from what I have seen, has like an incredible player housing system.  I met some one who is a mayor of a town, showed me his awesome house, and then city hall where the citizens of his town can vote him out.  To return to Vanguard, you get a new "recall" ability to teleport to your house and you get extra storage.  It is cool.

I do not craft. Sorry.

I like the mounts.  You get mounts at an early level (ten?).  You also can have an indepth Quest to obtain two awesome mounts, which are the shadow hound and the unicorn.  You must do this. Heh. 

Reputation is fairly difficult to improve.  EDIT:  it is a neat system, actually.  It makes the world feel more real.  Some races are KoS in other races' cities.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask them.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

One big thing to consider.  Not sure how involved you were in WOW's PVP, but its a lot different in VG.  The normal (non-PVP servers) have no pvp at all, (outside of dueling?) and there is a current plan to merge the team PVP servers into the single FFA PVP server (which is a really violent place atm).  Also, the FFA PVP ruleset was pretty broken (i.e. you can kill your own party or guildmates while fighting with them) but I hope they'll fix that (or is it fixed?) real soon.

Also the game has far more hiccups (aka bugs) than you're used to experiencing in WOW, (seems to vary from player to player) so you should be fairly tolerant of this until they get them fixed (they patch hundreds of fixes in on a regular basis)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Do you like to grind ? Do you like to play with yourself ? ** No pun intended. **

Stick with WoW or better yet try LOTRO or EQ2. Vangaurd right now is just not worth it IMHO until SOE is done fixing it and populations have picked up.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• hatebreed0hatebreed0 Member Posts: 82

here is the specs for my pc.

820 Intel Pentium D Processor

1.0 GB Memory 250 GB Harddrive

and i believe my graphics card is a RADEON X300/X500

not rally for sure what the real specs are just going off of what I can see

would i lag something terrible with this or just wait until the fix it.

and a few other questions.

How easy is it to make gold I for one suck at making gold, and in wow it cost 100 gold for training and mount, 600 gold for training and mount 1k gold for training and mount and 5.2k gold for training and mount. do mounts cost that much or more reasonable to obtained? besides the unicorn and Shadow hound can you obtain the drake/dragon/wryvern or w/e they call it like they had in the demo of the flying mounts listed.

Is their any end game dungeons epic and legendary items to obtain?

does their reputation fall along the lines of Neutral>Friendly>Honored>Revered>Exalted cause itn wow it takes nearly a month to get exalted w/ one faction.

do they have a durability thing like when you get hit your armor slowly degrades.

Any other info would be nice, sorry for all the questions but want to know for sure before i go up to wally world or EB games and waste 40$ on something that isn't all that.

not really interested in a house cause it'll probably be overly high priced like it is in DAOC

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Sounds like a notebook ?!

Not sure about the pentium D. You will need another GB memory and the radeon scares me. I doubt any update of the game will help you with this pc. Wait for the free trial to be sure about performance ( i am a bit confused about the radeon. is this a new low end card or an old low end card ?)

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Played it on a 1.6 Centrino Duo Laptop, 1.5 Gb RAM, NVidia 7400Go (128MB). Lets just say it runs, but it is not really fun with the lags and the low graphics-settings.

I dont think 1GB Ram and a x300 radeon would cut it.

Considering that Vanguard just isnt quite "there" yet, you may want to look into EQ2, LoTRO (which I hear is somewhat similar to WOW, just prettier and "newer") or some other established product.

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

How easy is it to make gold I for one suck at making gold, and in wow it cost 100 gold for training and mount, 600 gold for training and mount 1k gold for training and mount and 5.2k gold for training and mount. do mounts cost that much or more reasonable to obtained? besides the unicorn and Shadow hound can you obtain the drake/dragon/wryvern or w/e they call it like they had in the demo of the flying mounts listed.
    does their reputation fall along the lines of Neutral>Friendly>Honored>Revered>Exalted cause itn wow it takes nearly a month to get exalted w/ one faction.
    do they have a durability thing like when you get hit your armor slowly degrades.
    Any other info would be nice, sorry for all the questions but want to know for sure before i go up to wally world or EB games and waste 40$ on something that isn't all that.
    not really interested in a house cause it'll probably be overly high priced like it is in DAOC

With that rig there is no way you can run VG.  As a matter of fact I am not sure if you can run any game made after the year 2001 with that.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Tnice

With that rig there is no way you can run VG.  As a matter of fact I am not sure if you can run any game made after the year 2001 with that.

hehe we don't often agree now do we Tnice? , but well i must sortof agree with you on this one  lol

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

I highly recommend 2 gig of memory, but not only for Vanguard. 

Edit:  replaced "very easy" with "easier"

It is easier to make gold around level 40.  If you craft, you will easily make gold (I have heard).  I do not craft. I am actually quite broke in the game. LOL.

The special mount (shadow hound or unicorn) cost merely 10 gold after you complete the Quest. It is an excellent deal.  You will have 10 gold by the time you finish the Quest. 

Yes, there are end-game dungeons.  Yes, there are legendary items and things like that.  It is cool.

The reputation system is more complex.  It is more difficult to go from KoS, say, in a Dark Elve city and become "friendly." It is a long, very long faction grind.  Apparently, though, if you are willing to craft, say, in the Dark Elf area, you can improve faction faster.

Yes.  They have durability for items.  It is not a problem, and not as expensive as it was in release.  (According to the patch notes, they are going to have a "repair all" button for durability in the upcoming patch or Update 2).

Other Info:  I really enjoy the game.  In fact, I think the game is a great game.  It is worth playing.  I play in a great guild with great community and with friends and family.  So, I generally always have something to do but solo a lot.  I like a lot of the content.  I love to explore in Vanguard; I am always finding new zones, new camps, new Quests, etc.  I enjoy the combat in Vanguard more than any other games I have played.  Anyway, I am having fun.  Biggest worry for me in Vanguard is the end-game; that is all, though.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Hard for me to be unbiased, cause I love the game.

I can play with alot of the eye candy on medium or high with a 3-year rig and an upgraded video card (3.6 ghz, 2 gig ram, 8800 GTX).  Windows XP seems much more stable with VG than Vista.  Although I have guidies that have worked at it and have no problems with Vista... took them some effort though.

The allure of this game is completely based on preference.  I didn't like WoW, didn't like LotRO, but love Vanguard.  What I like is the complete openess of the game, adventuring and discovering, non-instanced dungeon crawls, diplomacy, working the brokers to make a living, the huge world, the variety of classes, races and cities.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Kyleran

One big thing to consider.  Not sure how involved you were in WOW's PVP, but its a lot different in VG.  The normal (non-PVP servers) have no pvp at all, (outside of dueling?) and there is a current plan to merge the team PVP servers into the single FFA PVP server (which is a really violent place atm).  Also, the FFA PVP ruleset was pretty broken (i.e. you can kill your own party or guildmates while fighting with them) but I hope they'll fix that (or is it fixed?) real soon.

FFA PVP was fixed A WHILE ago.

eqnext.wikia.com

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

As a Vanguard Beta tester who recently uninstalled VG from his hard drive I will say this.

- Stability/Performance is the largest problem in the game, rough chunking(zoning) has always been a major problem. I run a 7950 with 500mb memory, 3 Gig Ram on a dual core decent CPU. I played with all the .ini tweaks etc. but the fact is a solid running game should never require you to do mess around with that stuff.

- Gold exploits/bugs are rampant still many months after launch.

- Lack of end game content, this is word of mouth I'm not a powerleveler but there seems to be a real shortage of dungeons/raids etc at this point(probably due to Sigil trying to fix bugs).

- Population problems due to the above list and many more, I for one can sit in the LFG queue and spam chat channels for hours without getting a group on most days even at peak hours. Many people just quest/dungeon hop within their own guild just like other games but if you have no chance to get a PuG then there's a problem.

That's just a very short list of the problems.

The positives are:

1. The world is absolutely immense, there's no other way I can describe this.

2. The game is more a sandbox type and not as linear as say WoW, EQ2 etc. Both have their upsides and downs but I prefer more the open playstyle rather than just go to dungeon X and get [Chestplate of the Uberness] if it decides to drop for you.

3. Player housing although its not fully implemented and I think they could do a much better job, there is an option to rent land and have a house built there. At this point there's really not much to it, it's insanely difficult and expensive to have a house built and the time required is also difficult.

4. Crafting is time spent=reward, this isn't WoW and just push the button to get a new skill point. You will spend hours in the craft halls if you intend to actually make money selling stuff. This is an attempt to let the people who only want to craft do their thing( ala the 3 spheres vision). Diplomacy is also the same, great stories but very time consuming. Diplomacy isn't fully implemented as of yet from what the Devs have said.

5. SOE has taken over the development and you can say what you want about the company but Sigil failed at delivering us a respectable product. Vanguard's potential is huge, I realize the 'potential' word used for MMOs usually means failure but because of Vanguard's really vast landscape and setup SOE can really make improvements once the stability issues are solved. Look what they did for EQ2(the most solid MMO on the market not counting PvP), if SOE can deliver the depth of say an EQ2 with Vanguard this will be a solid game.

I for one will be keeping an eye on Vanguard but at this moment its not a solid pick for a MMO, stay tuned.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Riho06

As a Vanguard Beta tester who recently uninstalled VG from his hard drive I will say this.

- Stability/Performance is the largest problem in the game, rough chunking(zoning) has always been a major problem. I run a 7950 with 500mb memory, 3 Gig Ram on a dual core decent CPU. I played with all the .ini tweaks etc. but the fact is a solid running game should never require you to do mess around with that stuff.
    - Gold exploits/bugs are rampant still many months after launch.
    - Lack of end game content, this is word of mouth I'm not a powerleveler but there seems to be a real shortage of dungeons/raids etc at this point(probably due to Sigil trying to fix bugs).
    - Population problems due to the above list and many more, I for one can sit in the LFG queue and spam chat channels for hours without getting a group on most days even at peak hours. Many people just quest/dungeon hop within their own guild just like other games but if you have no chance to get a PuG then there's a problem.
    That's just a very short list of the problems.

The positives are:
    1. The world is absolutely immense, there's no other way I can describe this.
    2. The game is more a sandbox type and not as linear as say WoW, EQ2 etc. Both have their upsides and downs but I prefer more the open playstyle rather than just go to dungeon X and get [Chestplate of the Uberness] if it decides to drop for you.
    3. Player housing although its not fully implemented and I think they could do a much better job, there is an option to rent land and have a house built there. At this point there's really not much to it, it's insanely difficult and expensive to have a house built and the time required is also difficult.
    4. Crafting is time spent=reward, this isn't WoW and just push the button to get a new skill point. You will spend hours in the craft halls if you intend to actually make money selling stuff. This is an attempt to let the people who only want to craft do their thing( ala the 3 spheres vision). Diplomacy is also the same, great stories but very time consuming. Diplomacy isn't fully implemented as of yet from what the Devs have said.
    5. SOE has taken over the development and you can say what you want about the company but Sigil failed at delivering us a respectable product. Vanguard's potential is huge, I realize the 'potential' word used for MMOs usually means failure but because of Vanguard's really vast landscape and setup SOE can really make improvements once the stability issues are solved. Look what they did for EQ2(the most solid MMO on the market not counting PvP), if SOE can deliver the depth of say an EQ2 with Vanguard this will be a solid game.

I for one will be keeping an eye on Vanguard but at this moment its not a solid pick for a MMO, stay tuned.

That is you opinion on VG when you beta tested?  When was the game released (too early) again?

eqnext.wikia.com