Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player need help (very new player lol)

Hey guys,

I convinced myself to instal SWG, but when it was all done and the launcher did its thing with the updates, it stops and that's it. How to I play? LOL. I have a station account, the game is registered using the "register expansion" button.

At the top of the launcher the character select is unavailable. The updating thing is blue all around but is greyed out and below it says Download complete.

I have never used SOE before and this Station account was a trial with Vanguard, but now it has a 1 month paid on it so its not money I think.

HELP!!!! 

Mark E. Cooper
AKA Tohrment
Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
http://www.damnedsouls.eu

Comments

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

The game is still probably downloading all the patches. Expect it to take a good 16-20 hours. Once all installed, the PLAY button will highlight and away you go! If it has downloaded everything, do a re-scan .

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

Thanks, at least I know there is supposed to be a play button LOL. I tried all the buttons and wndows open saying srver errors, even for the online manual. I think I have found what was holding things up though. My OS is Vista 64. I just restarted the launcher using "Run as Administrator" and it has started downloading more stuff.

Says 1 hour 2 mins to go 

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Yep, with Vista everytime there's a patch you will need to run Launchpad in Admin mode. This is because Vista doesn't let "legacy" software write to the Program Files directory without being in admin mode. The game works with Vista though, just as well as any other game on Vista (ie. not as well as it would on XP :P)

• dongindongin Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

The game is still probably downloading all the patches. Expect it to take a good 16-20 hours.

Omg what kind of connection are you at? It took me no more than 1 hour to download all patches with a 8mbit connection

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by Obraik

Yep, with Vista everytime there's a patch you will need to run Launchpad in Admin mode. This is because Vista doesn't let "legacy" software write to the Program Files directory without being in admin mode. The game works with Vista though, just as well as any other game on Vista (ie. not as well as it would on XP :P)
    Lol... yeah i remember my friend screaming at me over the phone "you said World of Warcraft works on vista, it doesn't even wanna update or do anything, you......"

me:  did you try right clicking on the shortcut and running as admin

then silence.... *click*

hmmm... lol

Originally posted by deplorable

Lol... yeah i remember my friend screaming at me over the phone "you said World of Warcraft works on vista, it doesn't even wanna update or do anything, you......"

then silence.... *click*
    hmmm... lol

Yeah, hehe. My SWG is all patched and running now. I'm working my way through the station quests as human trader. Probably will do bounty hunter later when I have the complete adventures box to install. The controls take some getting used to, I keep wanting to move the mouse over things, but the reticule is set in the middle of the screen unless I'm crafting or something. Feels wierd, but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment

Originally posted by impulsebooks
    Originally posted by deplorable  Lol... yeah i remember my friend screaming at me over the phone "you said World of Warcraft works on vista, it doesn't even wanna update or do anything, you......"

then silence.... *click*
    hmmm... lol
    Yeah, hehe. My SWG is all patched and running now. I'm working my way through the station quests as human trader. Probably will do bounty hunter later when I have the complete adventures box to install. The controls take some getting used to, I keep wanting to move the mouse over things, but the reticule is set in the middle of the screen unless I'm crafting or something. Feels wierd, but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Go to Options and then click the Controls button. You should see a slider called "Mouse Deadzone", move this slider up to put some slack in the cursor/camera. Alternatively, you can simply press Alt to release the cursor completely.

Originally posted by Obraik

Go to Options and then click the Controls button. You should see a slider called "Mouse Deadzone", move this slider up to put some slack in the cursor/camera. Alternatively, you can simply press Alt to release the cursor completely.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to make the game better.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment

Originally posted by mcharj11

...they rent the lines from BT. Theonly good way to go is with Virgin Telewest fibre-optic broadband which is unfortunately unavailable where i live.

I feel your pain. BT used to be great. But that was back when a 512mbit connection was awsome and very few peole had anything other than a 56k modem. Now that nearly every house in the land has broadband and 80% have to use BT lines, the speeds are horrible.

Although they have increased from the old days, they are well below their optimal (stated on promotions) speed. Iam supposed to have 2mbit, but I'm lucky to get half that. BT say they can't gurantee speeds and thats why they always advertise connection by prefacing the speed with "UP TO" So I have UP TO 2mbit, but actually get like 1 

Moving to another company is not an option, as we have no cable in our area and even Sky uses BT lines.Wouldn't it be awsome if Sky dishes were two way?! Real satalite broadband could then happen...yeah

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment

Originally posted by mcharj11

Originally posted by dongin
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK The game is still probably downloading all the patches. Expect it to take a good 16-20 hours.
    Omg what kind of connection are you at? It took me no more than 1 hour to download all patches with a 8mbit connection

Only took me around 2hours with a 2Mb connection and it's a BT line so thats saying something.

For anyone outside the UK wondering what BT is, well it's the biggest phone company in the UK and they own almost all the phone lines in the country apart from fibre-optic ones. Anyway their internet just pure sucks and if you go with a different service provider it won't make a difference really because they rent the lines from BT. Theonly good way to go is with Virgin Telewest fibre-optic broadband which is unfortunately unavailable where i live.

Sounds alot like Telecom New Zealand :/ Heh, at the moment I'm on DSL and my upload speed is 3x the speed of my download speed...which on DSL it should be the reverse :(

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Hey duderz we sold our house so I have 2 weeks to pack up! So send an in game tell to Othi and tell him Oabi sent ya.