Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i try this game. or is it too late

wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346

a couple months ago i quit FFXI and before that i quit WoW after playing for a couple years(mainly cause now i think wow imo really really sucks) but for some one like me not playing any mmo for 2 months is a really long time. ive heard loads of good things about this game and i wanna give it a good try. and now that its summer and i dont have school till September i have a lot of time to invest into gaming. is it too late to try this game out, will i be the only low lvl starting on the whole server? another one of my rl friends might try this game too but im not sure. im just not willing to get this game if im not gonna be involved with the rest of the community. and if theres a free trial could any one post a link? thx

Comments

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

They have a trial version but you still have to put your credit card info for some retarded reason.

Whats the point of having a trial version than asking people for their card info.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• pristontalepristontale Member Posts: 59

The best reason to do it. would for sure be... To get a chance in Warhammer Beta! let that be your motivation!

• DreamsIn3DDreamsIn3D Member Posts: 86

Ive played this game on and off for 5 years so from experience I can say it is a tad late for anyone to join but not at a loss if you do. You will experience one of the best MMO's ever made along with the best PVP/RVR system ever made. You can go to www.camelotherald.com and find 14 day trial but you will have to enter a cc to make an account, however, it wont charge til after that 14 days is up.

If youre like most of my DAOC counterparts, you're waiting for WARHAMMER to come out in the coming months. Good luck to what you do and if you decide to DAOC, fire wizard kicks butt... although I played a friar most of the time.. and I loved being a stealthy Scout..

..but hell, it has 3 realms. Have fun on all of em I say!

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

In terms of design that is going to appeal to the DAOC playerbase, my guess is that AoC is going to be the better choice.  I do not think that WAR is going to be DAOC2, which is what many people are hoping for (me included).  We will need to wait for both games to come out to be sure . . .

As for DAOC, go ahead and play.  On any server it only take a small amount of time to get to max level.  There is no need to raid on any of the servers.  On every server there is always someone at low levels leveling up another toon.  This does not mean that you will find lots of them around, or that they will group with you.  Leveling is actually slower at the lowest levels in groups than it is solo. 

If you want to have the most people around you as possible then play Gareth as either an Hib or an Alb.  If you do not mind the first few hours of the game being a solo afair and not grouping up until later levels (and having a better RvR expereince than on the classic servers) then roll on any of the regular servers in any realm. 

As for the CC, the reason that want that is to make sure that you can actually pay to play the game.  Many people, espically those under the age of 18, will download free trials and play them.  Then they will create another account and keep doing that.  This takes up server space, login names, character names, and costs bandwidth for people that will never be able to pay for the game. 

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

In terms of design that is going to appeal to the DAOC playerbase, my guess is that AoC is going to be the better choice.  I do not think that WAR is going to be DAOC2, which is what many people are hoping for (me included).  We will need to wait for both games to come out to be sure . . .
    As for DAOC, go ahead and play.  On any server it only take a small amount of time to get to max level.  There is no need to raid on any of the servers.  On every server there is always someone at low levels leveling up another toon.  This does not mean that you will find lots of them around, or that they will group with you.  Leveling is actually slower at the lowest levels in groups than it is solo. 
    If you want to have the most people around you as possible then play Gareth as either an Hib or an Alb.  If you do not mind the first few hours of the game being a solo afair and not grouping up until later levels (and having a better RvR expereince than on the classic servers) then roll on any of the regular servers in any realm. 
    As for the CC, the reason that want that is to make sure that you can actually pay to play the game.  Many people, espically those under the age of 18, will download free trials and play them.  Then they will create another account and keep doing that.  This takes up server space, login names, character names, and costs bandwidth for people that will never be able to pay for the game. 

Yeah, play on a classic server in my opinion. It is not to late. I just reactivated my account yesterday, havin a blast playin my Infiltrator in Cathal Valley.  Friars are very easy to level, and would be a good choice.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

I started playing again after a 2 year break and well DAOC is still by far the best realm/team based PVP game on the market 5+ years after its release. Regretfully there is nothing in the immediate future that can compete with this aging game. *nothing*  Warhammer will be the next big thing in MMO PVP games. Those trying to sell AOC well to each their own. WAR will be released next year sometimes.

What quarter? Who knows. I think its gonna be similar to DAOC but better. I think Mythic will take the mistakes made in DAOC and never make them again.. They learned alot from the ones they made in DAOC. ie Classic servers, no buffbots. If your gonna play i recommend the Bossiney cluster. Hibernia is the least populated realm by far compared to Midgard or Albion. Midgard definately doesn't need any new players at all on Bossiney.

This game has a lot of life left it it.. Don't give much attention to the naysayers.

I look at it this way, what is new in WAR?  You have gone from 3 sides down to 2.  You can "win" and the server resets.  There is no guarantee that the gameplay is going to be anything like DAOC.  There is instanced RvR.  The is not really any siege for the final battle, instead it is an instance and when you get enough point you can then loot the internal city.  I really think until more gameplay info comes out, much of the WAR hype is unjustified. 

I look at it this way.  DAOC was built off of the influence of EQ.  Many things were like EQ at launch with RvR added.  What is the most popular game now?  WoW.  Isn't there a good chance they are going to build off of WoW and not DAOC when designing WAR? 

I am not saying WAR won't be more of a success than AoC.  What I am saying is there is no reason to think that it will be a better game, or will appeal to DAOC players at this point.  In AoC, there is going to be open field battles.  There is going to be urban battles (things asked for in DAOC).  It will be more sandbox than DAOC.  The NPC and PvE is more inovative. 

All of this is based on the information released.  But, as a DAOC player, the thought of having large open scale battle and siege that is trying to do something new, compared to a game that has instances and is likely to be influenced by WAR since the game is meant to be more evoltutionary than revolutionary where Mark has praised WoW in the past for many things, makes me think that for DAOC players, the next "big" game will be AoC - that is if they can pull it off.  I do believe that WAR will be pulled off very well, I am just thinking for a buisness and design standpoint, it makes more sense to go after the 8 million WoW players than it does the old DAOC players. 

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

I look at it this way, what is new in WAR?  You have gone from 3 sides down to 2.  You can "win" and the server resets.  There is no guarantee that the gameplay is going to be anything like DAOC.  There is instanced RvR.  The is not really any siege for the final battle, instead it is an instance and when you get enough point you can then loot the internal city.  I really think until more gameplay info comes out, much of the WAR hype is unjustified. 
    I look at it this way.  DAOC was built off of the influence of EQ.  Many things were like EQ at launch with RvR added.  What is the most popular game now?  WoW.  Isn't there a good chance they are going to build off of WoW and not DAOC when designing WAR? 
    I am not saying WAR won't be more of a success than AoC.  What I am saying is there is no reason to think that it will be a better game, or will appeal to DAOC players at this point.  In AoC, there is going to be open field battles.  There is going to be urban battles (things asked for in DAOC).  It will be more sandbox than DAOC.  The NPC and PvE is more inovative. 
    All of this is based on the information released.  But, as a DAOC player, the thought of having large open scale battle and siege that is trying to do something new, compared to a game that has instances and is likely to be influenced by WAR since the game is meant to be more evoltutionary than revolutionary where Mark has praised WoW in the past for many things, makes me think that for DAOC players, the next "big" game will be AoC - that is if they can pull it off.  I do believe that WAR will be pulled off very well, I am just thinking for a buisness and design standpoint, it makes more sense to go after the 8 million WoW players than it does the old DAOC players. 
    I really don't understand where people are coming from describing WAR is built off of WoW. Sure they have similar graphics and probably a similar UI, but the main gameplay in WAR is focused on PvP not PvE. WAR is not going to be a major raid game like WoW, its focused on PvP and the ongoing WAR between the factions. Everything in the game affects the outcome of the war in WAR, even the PvE.

I am sick of people comparing the two. From what I have read WAR is nothing like WoW.

And to say AoC is a better game for DAoC players is okay, but I am not sure how old time DAoC players will take to real-time combat (I personally do not like it, but some do).

Either way, I hope both games are a success because the market could really use some good games.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

It is not that WAR is going to be a copy of WoW.  It is that WoW is the game now.  It influences players attatidue and other games.  If you are going to go after that audience, you need to make the game appeal to the WoW audience in some ways.  All I am going to say is that WAR is most likely not going to be DAOC2, which is what a lot of people want. 

This is not to say that WAR is going to be a bad game or worse than AoC.  It is just that WAR is not DAOC and people should not get too excited about the game until more is released about it.  I would say play DAOC and wait to see what other games are out there, whether it is WAR or not. 

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

It is not that WAR is going to be a copy of WoW.  It is that WoW is the game now.  It influences players attatidue and other games.  If you are going to go after that audience, you need to make the game appeal to the WoW audience in some ways.  All I am going to say is that WAR is most likely not going to be DAOC2, which is what a lot of people want. 
    This is not to say that WAR is going to be a bad game or worse than AoC.  It is just that WAR is not DAOC and people should not get too excited about the game until more is released about it.  I would say play DAOC and wait to see what other games are out there, whether it is WAR or not. 
    They have realeased a ton of information on WAR already, more than enough to see what the game is all about, but I do agree with you many are hoping for DAoC2 and that might not be exactly what people get from WAR.

Although one thing is for certain, WAR builds off the RvR concept people like in DAoC, so I doubt people looking for this game to replace DAoC will be dissapointed.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

You can't compare the two. After wasting nearly 2 years in WOW i can say that its PVP game /layout is not only pointless but horribly designed. The majority of WOW player base is casual PVE players with some hard core raiders. WOW isn't a target for Warhammer for other then the PVP player base which makes up a small amount of the total player base imo.. WOW had the worst PVP of any game I've played and I've played most every MMO on the market. Being that this will more then likely be the latest and greatest in 2008 this in itself will draw huge numbers. If Mythic and EA do it right they can put a major hurting on WOW and its player base. If not the game will still be very successful. I came back to DAOC after 2 years in other games . I will never return to WOW. That i can guarantee. Mythic set the standard and still holds it for team/realm based PVP on a large scale.