Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gemini vets

NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

I bailed in early 06, I've had a poke around the official forums and saw very few names there, any Gem guys/gals still play?

(Last mate I had that was still ingame bailed after CCP/BoB clusterF)

ne1?

Comments

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Gemini was first right ?

I came abit late into the game ... February 2004, had not heard about the game before a buddy of mine talked about how cool it was so I subscribed right away .. one month after that I had 2 accounts.

March 2007 I ended both my account (T20 scandal made me) ...

Still remember how I lost my first cruiser and how hard we had to work to get our first Battleships ... we where a group of 4-5 people from the noobcorp (CAS- Center of Advanced Studies) working together to get our battleships.

Oh well not going to highjack this thread anymore :-), just checked ... Gemini is Beta and to first patch wich was called Second Genesis (wich was when I joined).

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Been in since beta 5. Still love the game.
  • Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Beta 5 vet here as well.

Ah, remembering the days, just cruising around finding 5#!7 to blow up and always coming back in my pod. No destination, no autopilot (literally). It certainly had a different atmosphere about it then.

I was there through Armageddon Day, and then once the game went live, was a little disappointed in that so much of the Dev's big dream didn't make it into release. I kept up with it, though, and finally joined in March of 2004, where I've been ever since.

//insert sig here
  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Beta 2 through release... didn't buy at release though I did periodically play free trials just to keep tabs on the game.  I played SWG till the CU hit... picked up EVE briefly again at that point but still liked SWG more despite the CU changes... wasn't till after NGE that I came back full time.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by Taram

Beta 2 through release... didn't buy at release though I did periodically play free trials just to keep tabs on the game.  I played SWG till the CU hit... picked up EVE briefly again at that point but still liked SWG more despite the CU changes... wasn't till after NGE that I came back full time.

Yes! Me too after the CU hit in SWG. I think the third day of the CU I subscribed to EVE.

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Good to see a few still hang around, I'm sure more Gemini or Beta guys will be found at the next Sci-Fi space mmorpg.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Naos

Good to see a few still hang around, I'm sure more Gemini or Beta guys will be found at the next Sci-Fi space mmorpg.

Only if it's NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a class/level based game.   OMFG I am so sick of cookie-cutter characters.  Thank God EVE didn't go that route.  :)

Keeping tabs on a few of the up-and-coming Sci-Fi titles but so far not super impressed (as at least STO has gone with class/level and looks like SGW plans to as well):

Infinity, Star Trek Online, StarGate Worlds

I doubt I'd leave EVE for any of them but I'm certainly planning to try them out if they have free trials/beta.  I played in some of the combat engine tests for infinity not sure I like the feel of the game yet.   Then again I never liked space combat that used true newtonian flight physics.... it's just a bit TOO realistic.... having to deal with flight vectors etc leaches any fun at all from the battles.  I remember playing Frontier: Elite and hating that too (also a true-newtonian space game).  I much prefer, even if it's not realistic, when they use atmospheric flight even though it is in space.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• KhorianKhorian Member Posts: 64

The problem with MMOs based on huge franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars, Star Gate is, that you will always have those Heros you know from TV and people try to be like them. Watch out for Captn Piccard, CPTN Pichard, John Luc Picard, Jean Luke Piccard etc etc.

Star Wars wars WoWified to be more "Star Warsy", but in reality became much less like you would expect a Star Wars game to be.

EVE doesn't have those problems. It has it's own rules, stories, and we have heros and people we look up to that are in fact real players. Famous guys like Sir Molle, Seleene, Evil Thug etc. Those guys are the faces of EVE.

No need to try to fly for the Klingon Empire. Build your own empire! Other MMOs mostly have a static back story. Sometimes it changes, but that takes time and is mostly orchestrated by the developers that run the game. In most games, Players usually don't have a direct influence in what direction the Story gets moved.

Think about it, there are not many other MMOs out there that let you forge the Story and Environment as severely as EvE allows you to. That is why you feel insignificant playing WoW. Everything you do has no real impact in the world around you. The only thing you might achieve is have newbies be in awe of your shiny gear. Maybe some Serverwide first kills of monsters, just to kill them over and over and over again.

EvE is different than those other MMOs, can't really compare apples and oranges.