Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat

Yeah i know, this if off-topic, but i know some of you are graphics fiends, and some just like a good deal of easy blasting when resting from the hectic world of MMO's ;)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/21/call-of-duty-4-footage-shows-bleak-cityscape/

if this is pre-alpha footage, it's already sold me on pre-ordering, and seems to have transcended from the typical WW2 shooter we all know to modern day. It'll be out on the PC, PS3 and the 360.

But then not many CoD games turn out to be bad ones... *cough* medal of honor series...

Comments

• JimmyLegsJimmyLegs Member Posts: 361
    This game would make me go out and buy a 360.... or just wait a while till I do an overhaul of my PC to make it more "this gen."
  • PunkMonkPunkMonk Member Posts: 483

This really bothers me. I loved CoD for one reason, it was the only good game set in WWII. There are enough games that have modern combat and modern wars. Counter Strike, BF 2142, etc, etc. I love using the old weapons. Hell, just 20 minutes ago I was playing CoD I: United Offense.

I'm dissapointed..

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Imo, the problem with a WW2 setting is that it really restrict things. Call of Duty  has been set in a WW2 settings for 3 games now, its time for a breath of fresh air. Having another CoD with just graphical upgrades would make the series stale.
  • desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390

While I am a big fan of CoD2 single player and CoD3 online right now I can only get so excited about another sequel being pushed onto market ASAP. The map packs were costly enough for CoD3 and half of them no one even plays by choice.

Same goes for Bad Company and out of the genre into the new Tom Clancy games and all the otehr sequels for this fall/winter.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by JimmyLegs

This game would make me go out and buy a 360.... or just wait a while till I do an overhaul of my PC to make it more "this gen."

• PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309
    Very impressive.  I used to play CoD 1 in TWL back in the day.  My team broke up before CoD2 came out.  This one may just draw us back together.

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by desnow

While I am a big fan of CoD2 single player and CoD3 online right now I can only get so excited about another sequel being pushed onto market ASAP. The map packs were costly enough for CoD3 and half of them no one even plays by choice.
    Same goes for Bad Company and out of the genre into the new Tom Clancy games and all the otehr sequels for this fall/winter.

I can make you feel a little bit better about this; CoD and CoD2's developers were of course Infinity Ward, CoD3... well it wasn't Infinity Wards development that oversaw that.

CoD 3 was developed by Pi Studio, which of course kinda side lined it being console-exclusive; the Wii version if i remember didn't even have a multiplayer option.

I can agree with bad sequels though, i wasn't a fan of Sam Fishers latest adventure, and nor did i enjoy the RS:LA mostly i didn't buy into the 3man team - they chopped out the 4th man because of the tightness of level design. It all felt too squashed. *ahem*

You'll be glad to know that Infinity Ward has returned to develop CoD4 for Activision, although yes multiplayer maps much like CoD3 will be available eventually to download. As always - the jury is out whether it should be free content or paid for....

Since with my 360, some content just isn't worth the cash ;)

even if some of the games do have an addictive quality.... yes i paid for the Halo 2 ones when they first came out for the old xbox..... mostly because multiplayer was the only good thing about halo 2 :-p

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by PunkMonk

This really bothers me. I loved CoD for one reason, it was the only good game set in WWII. There are enough games that have modern combat and modern wars. Counter Strike, BF 2142, etc, etc. I love using the old weapons. Hell, just 20 minutes ago I was playing CoD I: United Offense.
    I'm dissapointed..
    I have the perfect solution for you...don't play it!
  • Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Thank god they are finally ditching WWII era. Don't get me wrong those games were fun, for the first dozen or so games.

CoD4 sounds like it could be a lot of fun and without the restrictions of WWII they have more freedom to explore different story-lines, technology, and new vehicles. Even ones that don't currently exist in our time right now would be possible if they decided to just set the timeline 5-10 years ahead.

I am fully 100% in support of the departure from the WWII shooter genre. (Yes it has achieved its own genre now)

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• WraithmireWraithmire Member Posts: 328
    looks awesome, hope they release it for the PC

-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
    I have a Youtube channel for video games! http://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by deplorable

Yeah i know, this if off-topic, but i know some of you are graphics fiends, and some just like a good deal of easy blasting when resting from the hectic world of MMO's ;)
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/21/call-of-duty-4-footage-shows-bleak-cityscape/
    if this is pre-alpha footage, it's already sold me on pre-ordering, and seems to have transcended from the typical WW2 shooter we all know to modern day. It'll be out on the PC, PS3 and the 360.
    But then not many CoD games turn out to be bad ones... *cough* medal of honor series...

Dude THIS IS THE OF TOPIC section so its okay to be put here  Anyway YEAH really looks very Very cool.Definitly a game i want to be playing or atleast try some abit.

Am in QuakeWars atm which also is very refreshing if one is been out of FPS games for abit due to ...well MMORPG

Had a deep love for Moh:AA till Spearhead everything that came later just didn't feel Moh. and CoD filled that gap nicely, well these games continue to be great, myself looking forward and am pretty hyped up about Assasin Creed.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Can't wait for this. It looks really cool. The modern shooter genre really needs it. Most of it is just multiplayer shooters, tactical action and so on. Can't think of any really awesomely scripted modern military shooters right now. So it's needed And it looks really good already.
  • JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283

CO2 Multiplayer is good 64 ppl I hope CO4 has that. 

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I am most definitely buying it, especially because my clan is moving up into it as soon as it comes out (we're a top CoD3 clan).

I did like Call of Duty mostly because it was a good game in a WW2 setting, but I'm willing to try something new.  Hell if it isn't as good as I hope it will be, I'm pretty sure they will put out another WW2 genre game in the future that will be just as good as the previous ones.

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by PunkMonk

I'm dissapointed..
    There are enough games that have been WW2 based, the amount isn't even comparable to modern combat based.  Atleast you can mix modern combat up more than WW2, all WW2 has, has been used.  And if they actually do something different, it seems so much the same since most of the battles in Europe countries look the same to me in WW2 games.

Eventually they moved WW2 based games to the Asian Islands and North Africa, sadly they didn't use the complete potential of both imo.

I'm glad that they're moving on.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Meh, I just play CoD1 for multiplayer, I can't stand 2 or 3 , but thats my preference to the issues with glitching made possible thanks to new abilities (Unlimitted holding breath anyone?)

I'm about sick of modern conflict games as well, if I wanted to go off and do modern combat I'd of joined the marine core.

But thats just my opinion, who knows maybe this one will be a "good" one. Besides I tend to play DoD source now more than ever.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by Gameloading

Imo, the problem with a WW2 setting is that it really restrict things. Call of Duty  has been set in a WW2 settings for 3 games now, its time for a breath of fresh air. Having another CoD with just graphical upgrades would make the series stale.
    Exactly.  There's really only so much that you can do when you're limiting yourself to a game series based on a single historical event.

Anywhoo, yeah I'm excited about this game as well..but I gotta say, if screenshots with pretty graphics were enough to convince you to buy the game...then dang dude...

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.