Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Square Enix MMO

just wondering if anyone knows any details about their upcomming mmo for the PC 360 and PS3?

Comments

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

MMO's for consoles?

/starts crying

• PerceptionPerception Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Soraellion

MMO's for consoles?
    /starts crying

Never heard of FFXI?
  • Mstng9961Mstng9961 Member Posts: 85

Xbox had Phantasy Star Online, which was a ORPG.

Been a while, but I think you could meet up with a few people and trade or sell items and play a few areas with each other if I remember correctly. 

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

He's asking about the one they said they were working on but didn't say what it was. No one really knows what it is yet...but it's likely to be a sequal to Final Fantasy XI.

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390

The ps3 and 360 are more powerful than the average home computer. Few people are willing to pay the pricetag for a copmuter with highend parts for gaming let alone the upgrades later.

This whole PC versus console war is just silly. I play both and most likely always will.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

If it is on the console it is an FPS, not a MMO, get your facts straight!

Oh and you got that backward, the average PC is quite a bit more powerful than any of the current consoles.  Another one who can't get his facts straight.

Originally posted by Ciredric

Oh and you got that backward, the average PC is quite a bit more powerful than any of the current consoles.  Another one who can't get his facts straight.

Join MSDN and get the data from MS on their average spec range. Look at the Steam results also. 360s and PS3s are more powerful than the average.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Originally posted by Valentina

He's asking about the one they said they were working on but didn't say what it was. No one really knows what it is yet...but it's likely to be a sequal to Final Fantasy XI.

Hmm not sure about that i think they said there wasnt going to be a ff mmo
    Originally posted by Remali

Hmm not sure about that i think they said there wasnt going to be a ff mmo
    Correct. They didn't say what IP it will be however. The confusion is that they also announced a new expansion for FFXI recently.
  • ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by desnow

Originally posted by Ciredric

Join MSDN and get the data from MS on their average spec range. Look at the Steam results also. 360s and PS3s are more powerful than the average.

Actually, this is not completely true. PS3 is powerful in the IPS (Instructions per Second) due to the Cell processor, but much of its other hardware components are subpar, such as its sound output (although it's suppose to be 5.1 channel compatible). The same with the 360, it has a great processor, but it's not going to do the work of a workstation handling complex DB calls or video editting. The power of the PC is not in raw IPS, but in modularity. A console can be powerful one year and then becomes a has-been the next. A PC has longer legs, some PCs don't even get replaced for a decade (I've seen some old 386DX's used for legacy software...), and still find use in particular situations. A console, by comparison, does not have that ability, they are built to render the graphics, work with a limited set of controllers, and that's it. Plus, this is also why consoles are a better buy, their API doesn't change post-production since it's all hardcoded onto their firmware. So developers get a single set of tools to compile their game, and console owners don't have to upgrade. But it sets on console owners and console developers for a problem: they spend more money in the long run for more features. A PC owner, if s/he wants to, just has to swap out a motherboard, or simply install a new piece of software for more features and versitility. The cost of versitility is, of course, stability. A PC's hardware is harder to resolve problems if you're not an electrical engineer or generally familiar with the common issues with your hardware setup (perhaps you own a fairly rare brand of video card or an OEM part?). Still, the fact that most PC parts are still cheaper to replace than to repair, makes them also more disposable than a console system. If your console breaks, you can't swap out a part, you have to literally go to the store and buy a new one. Granted, this is a rare occurance, but the same is said for PCs since both depend on the robust inspections done by semi-conductor makers, and third party vendors. Still, the modularity of PCs beats the raw power of a console any day of the week, unless you're the kind of person that has little use for versitile technology.

-- Brede

• PerceptionPerception Member Posts: 188
    ladyattis,

You do realize that your quasi-coherent and un-cohesive technobabble, presented in the "wall of text" format, really doesn't come off as being from a person of sound mental condition.

Take a deep breath, try to group similarly themed sentences together in a paragraph, and pretend someone other than yourself needs to read what you type.

I think she is trying to say they are not 100% directly comparable, which is true.

However, a lot of the extras are peripheral and not of importance. What matters for a MMO is rendering limitations/speeds, networking stability/integration, data access from media/HDD, input options, and development speed. All the important aspects are directly comparable. 

• DecrebaudDecrebaud Member UncommonPosts: 42
    From what i've read and heard, Square-Enix has made a new MMORPG and has only shown it to the press, but to comfort gamers to their need for a new MMO, they realsed a expansion for FFXI (which is kinda like beating on a dead horse, the game is old and out of date).
  • XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    Originally posted by Perception

ladyattis,

You do realize that your quasi-coherent and un-cohesive technobabble, presented in the "wall of text" format, really doesn't come off as being from a person of sound mental condition.

Take a deep breath, try to group similarly themed sentences together in a paragraph, and pretend someone other than yourself needs to read what you type.
    That's true. I usually never read a post that has no paragraphs and is more than 10-15 lines long on my screen. It hurts the eyes.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    Originally posted by Decrebaud

From what i've read and heard, Square-Enix has made a new MMORPG and has only shown it to the press, but to comfort gamers to their need for a new MMO, they realsed a expansion for FFXI (which is kinda like beating on a dead horse, the game is old and out of date).
    Well, if a dead horse is a MMORPG with around 500,000 subscribers and probably in the top 10 most subscribed MMORPGs (not including korean MMORPGs that are not released in NA), then I guess all MMORPGs are dead excluding WoW and Lineage I/II

• MehjrianMehjrian Member Posts: 127
    Actually I found it very informative and easy to read. Nice job Lady Attis!
  • MylonMylon Member Posts: 975
    I still don't understand FFXI.  A grindy game with a shitty interface.  Sure, one can switch jobs fairly easily without loosing quest progress / reputation, but the levelling is still boringly similar.  It's like... "I think I'll go gather a party so we can all gangrape cute little things that will kill our tanks in 3 hits."

• FrostFateFrostFate Member Posts: 20

desnow, Ciredric, ladyattis, Perception, Mstng9961, Soraellion. Congratulations, you've all managed to post on someones question topic just to flame each other with the fact that probably none of you know what your talking about, and are just posting on your own opinions and the facts that you want to use. Your completely off topic and should've simply started a new topic on this subject, instead of taking the space on this thread, making it more difficult for Gamer_17 to find the answers he wanted from people who are actually posting to his question. All of you take your meaningless technobabbling elsewhere please.

Gamer_17, as far as I know, they have yet to release the name or specifics of any new MMO, but they have announced an expansion to FFXI. Hope this helps.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Saga of Mana is the top contender for the new mmorpg. In fact it was mentioned in some of the earlier interviews.
    Originally posted by FrostFate

desnow, Ciredric, ladyattis, Perception, Mstng9961, Soraellion. Congratulations, you've all managed to post on someones question topic just to flame each other with the fact that probably none of you know what your talking about, and are just posting on your own opinions and the facts that you want to use. Your completely off topic and should've simply started a new topic on this subject, instead of taking the space on this thread, making it more difficult for Gamer_17 to find the answers he wanted from people who are actually posting to his question. All of you take your meaningless technobabbling elsewhere please.

Gamer_17, as far as I know, they have yet to release the name or specifics of any new MMO, but they have announced an expansion to FFXI. Hope this helps.
    Rather snippy there for someone who didn't read the thread. If you had you would have realized you were over 9 posts behind. The question posted was answered, repeatedly actually and by various posters.

Originally posted by Perception
    ladyattis,You do realize that your quasi-coherent and un-cohesive technobabble, presented in the "wall of text" format, really doesn't come off as being from a person of sound mental condition.Take a deep breath, try to group similarly themed sentences together in a paragraph, and pretend someone other than yourself needs to read what you type.

Troll someone else (clicks iggy on Perception who is not very perceptive).

-- Brede

I think she is trying to say they are not 100% directly comparable, which is true.
    However, a lot of the extras are peripheral and not of importance. What matters for a MMO is rendering limitations/speeds, networking stability/integration, data access from media/HDD, input options, and development speed. All the important aspects are directly comparable. 

Well, then, most consoles literally suck at the HDD and network interface issue then. So, you want an OEM'd HDD and NIC in your PS3 or do you want to spend maybe 200 USD more for your PC with a certified (and warranty covered) HDD and NIC by buying it yourself? Choices, choices...

-- Brede

Originally posted by FrostFate desnow, Ciredric, ladyattis, Perception, Mstng9961, Soraellion. Congratulations, you've all managed to post on someones question topic just to flame each other with the fact that probably none of you know what your talking about, and are just posting on your own opinions and the facts that you want to use. Your completely off topic and should've simply started a new topic on this subject, instead of taking the space on this thread, making it more difficult for Gamer_17 to find the answers he wanted from people who are actually posting to his question. All of you take your meaningless technobabbling elsewhere please.

Rather snippy there for someone who didn't read the thread. If you had you would have realized you were over 9 posts behind. The question posted was answered, repeatedly actually and by various posters.

I'm totally in agreement, the fact that Perception attacked me and not the other way around seems amusing, really. And totally off topic, so lets keep the train of thought going. :3

-- Brede

Originally posted by WisebutCruel
    Saga of Mana is the top contender for the new mmorpg. In fact it was mentioned in some of the earlier interviews.

Hey, got a link for us? I really gotta see this since I loved Secret of Mana. :3

-- Brede

My point is that consoles have more than enough power to run a MMORPG. The PS2 wan't designed for online play, but it still did well with FFXI.

Average computers are very important. WoW would not be nearly as successful as it is if they had made the release requirements on par with FPS games at release. A large chunk of their player base wouldn't be able to run the game at all then. PS3s and 360s are designed for updatable content and online stability. They also both support keyboards and can both support mice (yes, the 360 can support a mouse, but for some reason MS doesn't want it as part of the dashboard). They also have very good graphics capabilities (even more so if you work on HDTV and widescreen resolutions allowing an increas in polygons and such.

With the current generation of consoles there is really no reason they can not be good MMO platforms.