Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fantastic 4 3.... errr... 4 part 3? Fantastic 4: Rise of the Siver Surfer.... reviewed..

1. I'm not a fan of the Fantastic 4 comics. I grew up mostly on Spider-Man, then X-Men, and a few others. I saw this movie with a group of friends who did grow up on Fantastic 4 comics. They ALL WALKED OUT ON THIS MOVIE!!!  I stayed to the end, understanding why they walked out on it.

If you are a comics fan, ABSOLUTLY, DO...NOT... PAY.... YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! There is nothing to see. It will be a waste of your time, and your money.

If you are NOT a comics fan, you will be able to watch this movie, even enjoy it, since you will have zero idea why this movie is the worse comic movie ever made, worse super-hero movie ever made. Yes, even worse than all the Punisher movies! LOL!

1. In the comics, Silver Surfer is a Demi-God. He flies around the galaxy, and universe, at UNIMAGINABLE speeds. He seeks out solar systems with planets for his master to eat. Imagine super-man on steriods, AND no Kryptonite hurts him! In the comics, it takes ALL  of the super-heros on planet earth just to fight Silver Surfer.  That's just to fight him! Not to defeat him, but just to fight him!

2. In the comics, Silver Surfer gets his powers from his master, Galactus. He does get seperated from his board. All it means is he cannot fly. That's it! He battled giant robots larger than the Sentenals, all alone by himself.

3. In the comics, not even Silver Surfer can defeat Galactus.  Galactus is the age of 2 universes! He lived during the time of the universe that existed before our current universe was created. His universe got destroyed, a new universe got born (our current one) and he survived, now eating planets in our universe. The amount of power Galactus has is unimaginable. He is a G-O-D.  He E-A-T-S planets!

- It took every super-hero on earth just to tickle Silver Surfer. Silver Surfer, with ALL his powers, just tickled Galactus.

4. In the comics, Galactus simply says to Silver Surfer, "You really like this 1 single planet out of the trillions of planets in the universe soo much? Alright fine. You can stay on earth... FOREVER! No more roaming the galaxy and universe for you! See ya! I'm a GOD. I can easily create another replacement for you. What? you thought the herald union would protect your job? Hahahah! You don't have a union job! And yep, I'll keep on eating more planets LOL! Munch, munch, munch".

SPOILER ALERT

In this movie, EVERYTHING in the comics is thrown away! Everything! That is why my friends were FORCED to get up and walk out. Imagine Spider-Man suddently flying around the planet, flying through the sun, flying to the moon and blowing it up moon in 1 punch? Yes, it's that bad!

A. In the movie Silver Surfer gets all his powers from his board.

B. Reed Richards pulls a "Batman" and happens to make a doodad that is able to seperate SS from his board. (Just like in the Batman TV show, where Batman happens to bring the right doodad with him to get out of every situation.)

C. In the movie, SS becomes the most sissyfied, girlie girl, sissy weakling, when he gets seperated from his board. He can't even stand up! He looses ALL his powers, heck, he can't even live! It gets worse!

D. Half the movie, is about Sue Storm trying to marry Reed Richards! NO ONE paid their money to watch some woman trying to marry some guy for 1 hour! EVERYONE paid their money to see a demi-god named Silver Surfer smack the Fantastic Four, and EVERY OTHER SUPER-HERO on earth, upside the head. Yes, Hollywood made this movie SAPPY just like it did to Spider-man 3!

E. Silver Surfer whups Galactus!?!?! Silver Surfer blows Galactus up!?!?  And lives afterwards to tell about it?!? BTW, Galactus never appears in the movie. He's just a giant, whitish/greyish, worm shapped cloud roughly 5 times the size of Earth. Galactus never even speaks.

End Spoiler Alert

And that is why this is the worse ever comic movie ever done. Even the Punisher movies, (widely reguarded as the worse ever comic movie adaptations) stuck 90% to the comics.

What went wrong with this movie? One of my friends put it perfect:

There is a scene in which STAN LEE attempts to enter the wedding. No one allows him to enter. "But I'm Stan Lee, I'm Stan Lee!", he says as he's shoved back and away. It's litterally what happened to him from Hollywood. They took this movie over from him, and put in what they thought would sell it - a sappy romance about getting married.

Question: WHAT is the reason this movie and the one before it got made? Because of the popularity of the comics right? Why were the comics soo popular? Because of the fans right?

Answer: Wouldn't it make sense to make the movie adaptation aimed FIRST at the comic fans? Since it's because OF the comic fans that the movie decided to be made in the first place?!?

Comments

• flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

First the other dude that trashed the spiderman movie now this.Is there no one left who just put's a movie on to relax and basically just doesn't care if a story fits right or if they did or did not mess up on the "credibility" of the movie.It's based on a comic book...it's fake...i for one at least don't care in what way they stick to the story as long as the main char is "recognizable".

Guess you guys never watched the A-team series...movies from butt spencer and terence hill...etc.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    impossible expectations of the comic fan.  The movie wasn't made for you.  The movie was made for the casual person who might have an interest in the Fantastic 4.  For instance my wife and daughters enjoyed the movie.  None of them have ever read a Fantastic 4 comic.  I have read quite a few (not a fan by any means) but I was still able to enjoy the movie.  Because I was able to see the movie for the movie, without all of these unrealistic ideals about movies.  The same thing happened to Star Wars fans, who expected the newer Star Wars movies to somehow change their lives.  It is kind of sad.  and a little crazy. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317
    Originally posted by xplororor

1. I'm not a fan of the Fantastic 4 comics. I grew up mostly on Spider-Man, then X-Men, and a few others. I saw this movie with a group of friends who did grow up on Fantastic 4 comics. They ALL WALKED OUT ON THIS MOVIE!!!  I stayed to the end, understanding why they walked out on it.
     If you are a comics fan, ABSOLUTLY, DO...NOT... PAY.... YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! There is nothing to see. It will be a waste of your time, and your money.
     If you are NOT a comics fan, you will be able to watch this movie, even enjoy it, since you will have zero idea why this movie is the worse comic movie ever made, worse super-hero movie ever made. Yes, even worse than all the Punisher movies! LOL!

1. In the comics, Silver Surfer is a Demi-God. He flies around the galaxy, and universe, at UNIMAGINABLE speeds. He seeks out solar systems with planets for his master to eat. Imagine super-man on steriods, AND no Kryptonite hurts him! In the comics, it takes ALL  of the super-heros on planet earth just to fight Silver Surfer.  That's just to fight him! Not to defeat him, but just to fight him!
     2. In the comics, Silver Surfer gets his powers from his master, Galactus. He does get seperated from his board. All it means is he cannot fly. That's it! He battled giant robots larger than the Sentenals, all alone by himself.
     3. In the comics, not even Silver Surfer can defeat Galactus.  Galactus is the age of 2 universes! He lived during the time of the universe that existed before our current universe was created. His universe got destroyed, a new universe got born (our current one) and he survived, now eating planets in our universe. The amount of power Galactus has is unimaginable. He is a G-O-D.  He E-A-T-S planets!
      - It took every super-hero on earth just to tickle Silver Surfer. Silver Surfer, with ALL his powers, just tickled Galactus.
     4. In the comics, Galactus simply says to Silver Surfer, "You really like this 1 single planet out of the trillions of planets in the universe soo much? Alright fine. You can stay on earth... FOREVER! No more roaming the galaxy and universe for you! See ya! I'm a GOD. I can easily create another replacement for you. What? you thought the herald union would protect your job? Hahahah! You don't have a union job! And yep, I'll keep on eating more planets LOL! Munch, munch, munch".

SPOILER ALERT
       In this movie, EVERYTHING in the comics is thrown away! Everything! That is why my friends were FORCED to get up and walk out. Imagine Spider-Man suddently flying around the planet, flying through the sun, flying to the moon and blowing it up moon in 1 punch? Yes, it's that bad!
       A. In the movie Silver Surfer gets all his powers from his board.
       B. Reed Richards pulls a "Batman" and happens to make a doodad that is able to seperate SS from his board. (Just like in the Batman TV show, where Batman happens to bring the right doodad with him to get out of every situation.)
       C. In the movie, SS becomes the most sissyfied, girlie girl, sissy weakling, when he gets seperated from his board. He can't even stand up! He looses ALL his powers, heck, he can't even live! It gets worse!
       D. Half the movie, is about Sue Storm trying to marry Reed Richards! NO ONE paid their money to watch some woman trying to marry some guy for 1 hour! EVERYONE paid their money to see a demi-god named Silver Surfer smack the Fantastic Four, and EVERY OTHER SUPER-HERO on earth, upside the head. Yes, Hollywood made this movie SAPPY just like it did to Spider-man 3!
       E. Silver Surfer whups Galactus!?!?! Silver Surfer blows Galactus up!?!?  And lives afterwards to tell about it?!? BTW, Galactus never appears in the movie. He's just a giant, whitish/greyish, worm shapped cloud roughly 5 times the size of Earth. Galactus never even speaks.

End Spoiler Alert
      And that is why this is the worse ever comic movie ever done. Even the Punisher movies, (widely reguarded as the worse ever comic movie adaptations) stuck 90% to the comics.
     What went wrong with this movie? One of my friends put it perfect:
      There is a scene in which STAN LEE attempts to enter the wedding. No one allows him to enter. "But I'm Stan Lee, I'm Stan Lee!", he says as he's shoved back and away. It's litterally what happened to him from Hollywood. They took this movie over from him, and put in what they thought would sell it - a sappy romance about getting married.

Question: WHAT is the reason this movie and the one before it got made? Because of the popularity of the comics right? Why were the comics soo popular? Because of the fans right?
     Answer: Wouldn't it make sense to make the movie adaptation aimed FIRST at the comic fans? Since it's because OF the comic fans that the movie decided to be made in the first place?!?
    Whah, whah!  They didn't just slap the pages of the comic book up on the screen whah!  whah!  They tried to make it so maybe someone who isn't a complete looser might enjoy it.  Whah! Whah!  They didn't make it into a ten hour geek fest so I could be happy. Whah!  Whah!  Dud shut up before you create a flood with all your crying.  Get a life.  To going out of your parent's basement for something other than comic book movies for once.

member of imminst.org

Originally posted by Cabe2323

impossible expectations of the comic fan.  The movie wasn't made for you.  The movie was made for the casual person who might have an interest in the Fantastic 4.  For instance my wife and daughters enjoyed the movie.  None of them have ever read a Fantastic 4 comic.  I have read quite a few (not a fan by any means) but I was still able to enjoy the movie.  Because I was able to see the movie for the movie, without all of these unrealistic ideals about movies.  The same thing happened to Star Wars fans, who expected the newer Star Wars movies to somehow change their lives.  It is kind of sad.  and a little crazy. 

Agree ompletely..well sad and crazy is a bit off for me ... but in general i agree.I read marvel comics from when i was verry young and a lot of them too.I allways like movies like spiderman/fantastic four/the hulk/superman and transformers is also a movie i'd like to see.The difference is that i don't view these movies and think about how it was in the comics in the meantime.I view them as a "spinoff"..you get the hero from the books but the stories mostly twitched/simplified and you really shouldn't be looking if you are such a fanboy.

To the guy aboveme...nice post brainless...nice of you to post without flaming the guy so much.Wish forums didn't have such idiots like yourself.....mmm no come to think of it wish the world didn't have such idiots.

• Pants52Pants52 Member Posts: 68
    I thought the movie was really good and who cares if stan lee cant see the wedding its a movie. Everyone has a different opinon on movies, i thought it was very good, some people might not like it. I believe it is worth seeing

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Just to throw in some balance. I'm 37 years old, I grew up on Marvel Comics, I still own the first one I ever bought when I was 8 years old. I enjoyed both Spiderman 3 and the FF Surfer movie. No, they do not fully translate the comics into film but they do provide entertainment and escapism for a few hours, which is all you can ever seriously expect from a comic book movie. Due to the huge budget these films demand they have to be adapted to attract a mainstream audience to stand a chance of breaking even and pleasing the bean counters who run Film Studios.

If they were to make a 'hero' film purely for the comic buffs the budget would far exceed the returns from such a niche audience, and no studio would ever seriously consider making another comic book film ever again.

Make the best of what we are getting, it's not going to get any better. If you thought this FF film was bad, try and pick up a copy of the version made by Roger Corman in the 90's. Now THATS a bad movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109770/

Personally I'm looking forward to Iron Man in 2008 :)

Well for me the x-men movies can't be sucked dry enough.....i hope they make a LOAD more because i found them highly entertaining.Also you point out a good thing imho..OP consider it like this : it's either make a movie about the super hero's but make the stories purely entertaining.....or not make a movie at all or one with such a low budget you'd cry with the sight of the bad speciall effects.Personally  i choose the first one.
  • AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437
    I was very dissapointed in xmen 3.
  • ShakaAutunnShakaAutunn Member Posts: 70

I've read ALL of the Fantastic 4 Comics.

And I LOVED the movie. Far better than the first, and the best out of all the Super Hero movies as well.

You and you're friends just a poor taste of movies. Get over it.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Havnt seen you post up here in awhile, apparently nothing has changed.

These Marvel movies take a different path than the comics. One would figure after Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Daredevil, The Punisher, Electra, X-men 2, Spider-man 2, Fantastic Four, X-men 3, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man 3 you would have gotten that memo.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

VS.

• LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380
    But, but, but, JESSICA ALBA!

• UrdigUrdig Member Posts: 1,260
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

It's not unrealistic to expect Marvel to have approved a script that was even remotely in line with the comic. 

The SS story isn't one that required "modernizing".  It didn't have to be completely changed to allow a younger generation to enjoy it.  I'm not really sure I undestand what unrealistic expectations you mean. 

The movie isn't getting very good reviews.  Know why?  Because they didn't keep with the original story.  Reviewer after reviewer is saying the exact same thing.

These movies ARE made for the fans of the comic.  Without the fans there woudln't be a movie.  How many movies have you seen based on Iron Fist?  Moon Knight?  Silver Sable? 

FF4 has spanned generations.  Even people that don't read comics have some idea of who the FF4 are.  Fox and Marvel owed it to the FANS of the comic to provide a story that was even SLIGHTLY true to the original.  Sivler Surfer is an iconic character in that series, and what they did to the story would be like having the Green Goblin fight Sandman and Venom with...oh wait.  The F'd that one up to.

Some of us actually want to see the comics we grew up with brought to life.

Wish Darkfall would release.