Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was Teras Kasi the best thing about SWG?

 With all the uproar around SWG demise, all the major things that got ripped from the game, one aspect that slipped through the cracks was the loss of the Teras Kasi profession with the NGE. People talk about losing CH, but CH was nerfed long before that to the point of uselessness. TKM was a staple in SWG. Everyone had one. That class was a blast to play with. TKMs were the jedi of SWG long before any of those glow stick wielding fight clubbers came stumbling in.

 My first class was BH, and I did pretty well in most pvp, except against TKMs. It was like shooting a brick wall with a water gun. Before the CH nerf you had TKM/Master CHs running around with Gurreks. That combo could take on twelve guys at a time.

 Force of Will alone made that class absolutely badass. I can't remember how many hate tells I would get from coming back from an incapp and db'ing the seemingly victorious player dancing over my corpse. My TKM was also a master doc, and my guild would not do any sort of group hunt unless we brought him along, period. Think your rifleman/cm is the end all be all? Think again.

 Then you had the stackers. A tkm/fencer/master brawler? Forget about it. Those guys were unstoppable.

 TKMs could regen mind, and we also one of only four classes that could attack mind. Essential in any kind of pvp.

 Just one more reason why SOE wil be remembered always as the purple butted baboons who screwed up Star Wars.

«13

Comments

  • ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    I loved TKA, and CH. But I think the best thing about SWG was Entertainers. It was a totally new and innovative class, and the creative and cool things you could do with songs and animations if you practiced and knew what you were doing were just incredible. My main character used to attract people from all over the galaxy when she performed.



    C
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    EVERYONE didn't have one, but they were popular. I thought they never quite fulfilled their role as Jedi slayers.



    Only problem with any Melee class was that blasters were underpowered. They overcorrected in the CU and they shot it all to hell in the nge.



    I miss my Swordsman/Smuggler/CH

    Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.
    image

    imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

  • ForcanForcan Member Posts: 700
    I was a TKM/Master Commando for a good two month until the damn holocron started to showing up. 

    Unfortunately I fall for the hologrind and ultimately gave up my TKM for the BH that I was suppose to grind out... didn't finished it.. got so bored of it. 

    Then I was gonna do TKM/Swordman/Carbineer before the CU hit, but didn't finished it.  So after CU hits, I think I went TKM/Master Swordsman/Doc (or medic.. can't remember now)...

    When NGE hits.... my TKM died... and all I had to show for it is the damn title of Teras Kasi Master that used.

    I actually like TKM (which I had try to kept throughout the time I play SWG, except I gave up during the hologrind.  But I got it back)





    Man, I miss my TKM and my template (was gonna test a few others)

    Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

    Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

  • ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

    My Favorite combo was Swordsman / Ranger I could solo the Rancors with my area attack, and harvest tons of hide, bone or meat.

    I want my Swordsman Back Please!!!!!

    Ajax

  • TettersTetters Member Posts: 221
    oh I loved my TKM/Master Weaponsmith .... then I switched to TKM/Master Doctor .... I loved that game so much in the early days .. I still miss it, but real life isn't that bad ... lol
  • ecksowrathecksowrath Member Posts: 15

    There was one SWG template that was UBER and never nerfed, (pre NGE/CU)

    Lancer/Carbineer with the rest in medic.

    Im sure you guys remember that Carbine Lancer whooping EVERYBODY down.

    Yeah that was me.

    Sure i had to farm DoT lances for many hours a day

    Not even a 4444 Jedi could mess with that template as long as you had some good lances.

    Nobody could touch it 1 on 1, nobody could touch it period.

  • ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Originally posted by Tetters

    oh I loved my TKM/Master Weaponsmith .... then I switched to TKM/Master Doctor .... I loved that game so much in the early days

    That was what was so great about SWG -- you could switch classes! You could try out different "templates." You could tweak. "Hmm... a few skill boxes of Marksman might help here..." etc. You could learn one line, or two lines... you could mix and match, test and try. I know someone whose goal was to master every profession in the game, one at a time. She just wanted to try them all, because she thought each one had something cool in it. I don' t think she ever managed to before CU hit.... and then she quit.



    But that you could do that, if you wanted, was something that made SWG so special. No other game ever gave you this kind of freedom.



    C
  • kjfettkjfett Member UncommonPosts: 234

    Never had a TKM.  I loved 2H though and had it combined with smuggler, CH and a couple other professions during the precu days.  Gave it up with the CU though...it was never the same after that hit.

  • SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

    Crafting (at least for a while) was my thing. I loved being a master artisan/master architect, and even chef for a while.

     

  • SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

    I think the reason that CH is the "iconic" victim of the NGE is that so many CHs were in it for the fun of having a rancor or gurreck trail behind you, not for the combat chops, which were zapped into near nothingness by the Great Nerf of CH in December 2003.  For many hardcore CHs, it was never about being uber, it was about having those critters at your command, and of course the NGE did away with that entirely.

    I had some TK in my template for a long time, and it was great fun.  One of the classic imbalances of the preCU period was that blasters, which totally dominated the original trilogy, were underpowered.  Then, of course, in typical SWG fashion, they were overpowered in the CU.

    The SWG devs never used the nerf bat in moderation.  They always over buffed or over nerfed. 

    CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

    Once a denizen of Ahazi

  • irukandjiirukandji Member Posts: 253

    I made a thread about this a few weeks back. To paraphrase: If $OE wanted to compete with WoW they should have kept the melee professions. Now, bringing back CH/BE, seems like they still don't get what alot of vets want. No disrespect to CH/BE players but I think you guys are outnumbered and should have been brought back AFTER melee was reintroduced.

     

    "Hurray, finally a game where I can fulfill my lifelong dream of taking emotionally dead women and finding the most financially viable means to exploit their bodies with the ultimate goal of making them Hugh Hefner's personal furniture."

  • SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by irukandji


    I made a thread about this a few weeks back. To paraphrase: If $OE wanted to compete with WoW they should have kept the melee professions. Now, bringing back CH/BE, seems like they still don't get what alot of vets want. No disrespect to CH/BE players but I think you guys are outnumbered and should have been brought back AFTER melee was reintroduced.
     



    But..but...they did have melee!

    Glowsticks!  Wonderful glowsticks!  Be a tank with a 10k health pool heal!

    CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

    Once a denizen of Ahazi

  • DanjakDanjak Member Posts: 197
    Nothing screams "Star Wars" like Kung Fu. 
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Master Ranger/Master Rifle was my favorite...I was a solo machine.



    I also made millions of credits taking Jedi through the Knight trials by tracking Peko Albatrosses,  Graul Marauders, Enraged Kimo's, etc.
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by BigBlackWook


     With all the uproar around SWG demise, all the major things that got ripped from the game, one aspect that slipped through the cracks was the loss of the Teras Kasi profession with the NGE. People talk about losing CH, but CH was nerfed long before that to the point of uselessness. TKM was a staple in SWG. Everyone had one. That class was a blast to play with. TKMs were the jedi of SWG long before any of those glow stick wielding fight clubbers came stumbling in.
     My first class was BH, and I did pretty well in most pvp, except against TKMs. It was like shooting a brick wall with a water gun. Before the CH nerf you had TKM/Master CHs running around with Gurreks. That combo could take on twelve guys at a time.
     Force of Will alone made that class absolutely badass. I can't remember how many hate tells I would get from coming back from an incapp and db'ing the seemingly victorious player dancing over my corpse. My TKM was also a master doc, and my guild would not do any sort of group hunt unless we brought him along, period. Think your rifleman/cm is the end all be all? Think again.
     Then you had the stackers. A tkm/fencer/master brawler? Forget about it. Those guys were unstoppable.
     TKMs could regen mind, and we also one of only four classes that could attack mind. Essential in any kind of pvp.
     Just one more reason why SOE wil be remembered always as the purple butted baboons who screwed up Star Wars.

     

    I'm gonna get flamed....

    A lot of what he praises is exactly what was wrong with Pre-CU.  TKM's being God was absurd.  they should've been the ultimate in melee classes, a skilled master being able to go toe to toe with a Jedi.  Instead, they were being made into the uber class being able to stand up to both melee and ranged with little problem.  TKM's should've been low on damage, and high on defenses.  A true "tank" so to speak.

    A TKM would've been fine I suppose if not for the wacked stacking system SOE had.  Stackers didn't improve PvP.  They ruined it.  But the fault was not with them.  The fault was with the over abundance of Jedi thanks to Pub 9, that made stacking essential to prevent PvP from becoming Jedi wars.  The original plan for modifying stacking in the CURB was a very good one.  Making stacking more realistic (instead of just taking the defensive trees in all professions) would've solved this problem right away.

    I had in my posession a mind poison that ticked around 1.7k, and a mind disease that blacked any stat bar with one tick. with some rancor bile to give me a billion uses.  I ONLY used that on stackers.  And I always let them triple incap, just so I could say:

    "You spent 500 hours number crunching the perfect template instead of enjoying the game, just to get triple incapped.

    I honestly think people stopped enjoying the professions when they were trying to stack, instead just looking for the uber defenses.

  • Marcus_Marcus_ Member Posts: 38

    Nah,TKA + Master Rifleman was a best solo temp and of course a little FD arm from Smuggler prof.=)Every know

  • infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    TKM was an awesome profession,  but i liked my MBH/ MR/ FS Melee Defense, touch of medic and some politician to finish it off. Was a sweet ass combo. Especially during the CU.
  • SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

    The funny thing is, prior to the Great Nerf, player controlled meatshield pets were the tanks.

    Because, they were high on defense (particularly those with high kinetic resists, like the midrange Greater Sludge Panthers and the high end Graul Maulers) and low on attack.

    As a last box of pistols marksman, I outdamaged all my MCH pets.  Pets were high defense, low damage.

    The preCU melee classes, on the other hand, got both, particularly after they introduced mitigation in early 2004.

    CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

    Once a denizen of Ahazi

  • AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

    TKM was a blast, no doubt.  My first toon was a TKM and I loved going solo against anyone, npc or player alike.  However, another profession that got taken away was my favorite.

    Dueler.  Fencer/Pistoleer hybrid if you remember had incredible defense and was the most fun I had playing SWG.  I REALLY loved those hybrid professions. 

  • BigBlackWookBigBlackWook Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by iceman00

    Originally posted by BigBlackWook


     With all the uproar around SWG demise, all the major things that got ripped from the game, one aspect that slipped through the cracks was the loss of the Teras Kasi profession with the NGE. People talk about losing CH, but CH was nerfed long before that to the point of uselessness. TKM was a staple in SWG. Everyone had one. That class was a blast to play with. TKMs were the jedi of SWG long before any of those glow stick wielding fight clubbers came stumbling in.
     My first class was BH, and I did pretty well in most pvp, except against TKMs. It was like shooting a brick wall with a water gun. Before the CH nerf you had TKM/Master CHs running around with Gurreks. That combo could take on twelve guys at a time.
     Force of Will alone made that class absolutely badass. I can't remember how many hate tells I would get from coming back from an incapp and db'ing the seemingly victorious player dancing over my corpse. My TKM was also a master doc, and my guild would not do any sort of group hunt unless we brought him along, period. Think your rifleman/cm is the end all be all? Think again.
     Then you had the stackers. A tkm/fencer/master brawler? Forget about it. Those guys were unstoppable.
     TKMs could regen mind, and we also one of only four classes that could attack mind. Essential in any kind of pvp.
     Just one more reason why SOE wil be remembered always as the purple butted baboons who screwed up Star Wars.

     

    I'm gonna get flamed....

    A lot of what he praises is exactly what was wrong with Pre-CU.  TKM's being God was absurd.  they should've been the ultimate in melee classes, a skilled master being able to go toe to toe with a Jedi.  Instead, they were being made into the uber class being able to stand up to both melee and ranged with little problem.  TKM's should've been low on damage, and high on defenses.  A true "tank" so to speak.

    A TKM would've been fine I suppose if not for the wacked stacking system SOE had.  Stackers didn't improve PvP.  They ruined it.  But the fault was not with them.  The fault was with the over abundance of Jedi thanks to Pub 9, that made stacking essential to prevent PvP from becoming Jedi wars.  The original plan for modifying stacking in the CURB was a very good one.  Making stacking more realistic (instead of just taking the defensive trees in all professions) would've solved this problem right away.

    I had in my posession a mind poison that ticked around 1.7k, and a mind disease that blacked any stat bar with one tick. with some rancor bile to give me a billion uses.  I ONLY used that on stackers.  And I always let them triple incap, just so I could say:

    "You spent 500 hours number crunching the perfect template instead of enjoying the game, just to get triple incapped.

    I honestly think people stopped enjoying the professions when they were trying to stack, instead just looking for the uber defenses.

    No flame *coughs* lapdog of the oppressor *coughs*

    Actually I think this post illustrates some serious points that drove what became the CU. You mentioned two key unbalances in swg, the defensive stacking and the dots. Make no mistake with my original post I wasn't defending stacking, I was just saying it was fun to play and hard to beat.

    But the point is well taken, the population at that time was clamoring for the removal of stacking and the uber dots. The problem was, they couldn't leave it at that. Sony took everything out, everything that mattered, everything that was fun. And it stopped being a game. It became this wierd fragmented experience full of bad noise and false smiles. Who wants to play that?

    One of the arguements the alternate view point is founded upon is how much the community had cried out for improvments. And I think that is what you are trying to get across here, but change for change's sake is never a good idea.

    Anyway back on topic. Hijacking my own thread here. Who's got some more TKM stories? Here's one, it's my tkm/doc and his disease resists wailing the tar out of iceman's cm sonny corleone style. 

  • schumacher57schumacher57 Member Posts: 17

    I remember i didn't know what the whole tkm fuss was about when i first started, then I mastered it and was like...damn this is sick.  Some of the most fun I had in SWG.

    But what was really the most fun was Master Chef/Merchant and working forever to get a full chef suit with the max +food experimentation/assembly...then using that to mass produce bespin ports, Vasarian Brandy, and Tatooine Sunburns (< pwned).  I still had crates of the sunburns left but I 'gave' the account to a friend and can't get it back...

    the client base was what made the experience the most fun.  which is why nge sucks.  there are no players.  if there were a large player base, i could still enjoy it.

  • TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

    tkm stories?

    ooh, I loved my teras kasi / master doctor template...

    beeing able to defeat jedis in 1on1's was a lot of fun, especially when they didnt understand how a non-jedi class could defeat a jedi, some of them even reported me for cheating and stuff like that lol

    my secret:

    I had an excellent katarn knuckler (damage sliced by a smuggler) and bacta jab enhancer and a few force sensitiv skills (force sensitiv unarmed defense)

    and that bacta jab enhancer made it all, 

    it made it almost impossible to get me down, I was able to enhance my doctor heals and heal  myself for much greater than the standard doctor heals every few seconds plus my skill tapes with +25 defense to unarmed combat which cost me all together 50 - 100 million credits, you can't imagine how much 50 million credits were back in those days

    some guys even wanted to pay me real money for telling them my secret template but I never told them what my template/ secret was

    I felt like god and people said that I walked arround like I had an "S" on my chest...

    I will never forget those days :)

    and thats exactly what makes us vets so angry when we read some NGE-fanbois talking about stuff they got no idea of, they dont know how much fun pre-cu was... simply eveything that used to be complex in this game has been taken away with the NGE.

    "You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227


    Originally posted by Danjak
    Nothing screams "Star Wars" like Kung Fu, stun batons, power hammers, and scythes.

    Fixed a bit, and QFE'd for truth.

    Stackers never were a problem for me on any template.

    Jedi vs stacker = use a one handed saber and attack the mind
    Ranged vs stacker = kite the hell out of them

    Of course, people thought that was too hard of thing to do and instead stood toe to toe with them (ranged vs melee duel retards).

    The same people that loved their melee stacker templates are the same people that resulted in the NGE.


  • Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227


    Originally posted by TheChronic
    tkm stories?
    ooh, I loved my teras kasi / master doctor template...
    beeing able to defeat jedis in 1on1's was a lot of fun, especially when they didnt understand how a non-jedi class could defeat a jedi, some of them even reported me for cheating and stuff like that lol
    my secret:
    I had an excellent katarn knuckler (damage sliced by a smuggler) and bacta jab enhancer and a few force sensitiv skills (force sensitiv unarmed defense)
    and that bacta jab enhancer made it all,
    it made it almost impossible to get me down, I was able to enhance my doctor heals and heal myself for much greater than the standard doctor heals every few seconds plus my skill tapes with +25 defense to unarmed combat which cost me all together 50 - 100 million credits, you can't imagine how much 50 million credits were back in those days
    some guys even wanted to pay me real money for telling them my secret template but I never told them what my template/ secret was
    I felt like god and people said that I walked arround like I had an "S" on my chest...
    I will never forget those days :)
    and thats exactly what makes us vets so angry when we read some NGE-fanbois talking about stuff they got no idea of, they dont know how much fun pre-cu was... simply eveything that used to be complex in this game has been taken away with the NGE.

    The above post is complete and total bull shit.

    Katarn knucklers didn't come around until after CU (Rage of the Wookies IIRC).
    Bacta Jab Enhancers didn't come around until after the CU

  • skilclineskilcline Member Posts: 15

    Ah, the fun days of SWG, where everyone would just create looping macros for combat... TKMs, that would knockdown, before targetting the mind pool... all you had to do was make sure your toon was 5m away from the target.

    Fun.

    Yet people have a go about the NGE, because you actually need to move your toon around, aim and shoot at people you want to kill, while selecting specials.

    This is one BETA 2 player who is actually please they changed it and kudos for SOE / LA for having the balls to do so. Yes, they pissed off the community, but IMHO, without it, we wouldn't have had some of the great features we do now - the BM for example is the best type of Creature Handling system I've seen in any MMORPG and I've got a lot of experience of them, having starting playing UO in 1999 and most games since.

Sign In or Register to comment.