Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Healer class in this game?

So guys, there was no such thing in Lord of the Rings as a "cleric" or "priest" or any of that sort of nonsense.  In other words, in the book Strider couldn't take twice as much damage as was delivered to the entire Allied armies in the first five minutes of the Omaha Beach invasion, and just get healed by someone.

Has this "no healers" concept survived in the game with alternatives, or have they simply created a healing class that didn't exist in the actual books and tossed it into the game.

In other words, is this game just another Tank+Healer+DPS fantasy game.

Comments

• christwariorchristwarior Member Posts: 126
    Minstrels are the healing class.
  • nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

Is this game just another Tank+Healer+DPS fantasy game?

Yes.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• NevarionNevarion Member Posts: 274
    Use your imagination.

Talking about a M M O R P G, there are and will be certain game mechanics underlying as soon as you settle for a certain, let's call it, sub-genre. If I may simplify, I label this sub-genre as from EQ originated.

Now why I would like to have this distinction is easy. Obviously Tabula Rasa for example is swinging into a different direction. The mechanics we are used to wouldn't apply there, maybe? I don't know of course, I might be wrong about the game. Just trying to clarify and assuming some stuff.

Let's get back to discuss LOTRO now and how or rather what was implemented.

In LOTRO you do not die. You do retreat. Your 'health' would be your morale. Meaning can you keep your spirit high and do not flee in terror from a fight? To achieve this, the 'classic healer' is a artist, a performer who will raise the spirits of his or hers companions aka healing.

Bottom line the answer would be yes. Yet the approach and background is a different one. For some this might make a difference, for others not. You'll need to judge for yourself of course.
  • They might call it "morale", and they might call it "retreat".

But the bottom line is, you are still dead as a doornail.

• Originally posted by nynniva

Is this game just another Tank+Healer+DPS fantasy game?

Yes.

Not really,

This game has a lot more pigs and wolves than most games.