Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I bother trying EQ or wait for EQ2 ?

admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Hey all, looking for some advice. I'm so bored right now with lack of decent mmorpg out there. I quit SWG after 9 frustrating months (rangers know what I mean). Played Horizons for 3 months, really bad game but crafting was kinda cool. City of Heroes got old fast. Eve was just plain weird. Asheron's Call 2, clone of Horizons with nobody playing.

Anyway, I know based on that amazing E3 video I'll be trying EQ2 for sure. Is it worth playing EQ1 until then ? Do newbs have it really hard trying to solo or team up being so weak in the beginning ? Are the graphics really as bad as I've heard ? I like feeling useful in a mmorpg but seems unlikely as players have a 5 year headstart on me. Thanks...

Comments

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

They just put in a new tutorial that can get you to level 5 pretty easily, and also gets you a nice charm item *IF* you go to all the lesson NPCs.  There's really no reason to group before level 10 or so, if you are smart about it, and once you get to 15, getting levels gets a lot easier.  Some classes are easier to solo than others, but you really need to try a few to find what you like best.  People will tell you that Druid is a newbie friendly class, but I didn't much care for them, myself.  In any case, being a newbie isn't so bad these days, really.

There is no skill tree like other games you may have played. Up until level 51, everyone gets the same spells and skills at the same level. The major differences between characters are class, level, and gear, rather than spell sets. After level 51, there are "Alternate Advancement" abilities that are pick-and-choose, but most people get all the useful ones and none of the useless ones, so most people end up more or less the same in that respect eventually as well.

The graphics are improving, and further improvements are promised. I have lousy hardware in that department, so I can't really tell you how they'd look for you. The screenshots here at MMORPG.com (see EverQuest on the Game List) are mostly old (Luclin, Velious era or earlier-- a few expansions back, that is).

If EQ2 is the game you REALLY want to play, I'd probably wait for it at this point. If you think you might like to play EQ1 for its own sake, give it a try.

~*~
    neschria
    Bludgeoner of Bunnies

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• SresSres Member Posts: 156

I would probably wait until EQ2, with EQ being a game where the majority of players are L50+ you will find the new player base is predominently made up of people power gaming their 2nd, 3rd or 4th accounts.

I played EQ for 4 years and only left because the guild I was a member of imploded and I just didn't have the heart to move to another guild on the server.

I have a good feeling about EQ2, I'm hoping to get into Beta to see if I like it, I have a good selection of friends who will probably play it so I will probably play it, but just not as hardcore as I played EQ Classic.

If you can get a cheap account with atleast Planes Of Power expansion you'll have fun, just make sure you research your class/race and server, also if you are buying an account from say playerauctions, make sure you research the character as some of them come with bad reputations on the server and no one ever believes that you have bought the account and having a bad rep on a server is as bad as just throwing your money down the drain and some freaks will hound you across servers if you try to transfer it.

Good luck with your descision.

Khelor 65th Bard and ex player of Bristlebane.

- Nil Satis Nisi Optimum -

Major Sres - La Garde Imp

Life can be tapped

• scx316scx316 Member Posts: 106

I say wait for EQ2. Everquest was fun for the 4-5 years that I played it with a break here and there but then it got super boring for some reason.0 I started to notice everything looks the same and the graphics really sucked(I blame this on EQ2 because of there awsome graphics).

Plus after plains of power expansion came out they upgraded the armor wasy to much and if you have that armor you can kill normal stuff alot easyer.

Another thing that I didn't like about everquest and alot of other MMORPGs for that matter is it dosen't require much skill. Unlike EQ2.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
    I would definitely get into the original EQ because EQ2 is not scheduled to come out till 10/1 I mean thats 4 months away...in 4 months you could do alot on the original EQ.......me I play EQ right now well my comp is down..(this is dads comp..) so i haven't gotten to play in awhile...........and my ranger is somewhere between 45-49 I mean I love EQ but personally I am waiting for WoW to come out...i mean later down the line I may try EQ but we will have to see about it......

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

• Y0lkixY0lkix Member Posts: 51

I would get EQ now, its a great game and im about to resubscribe. Its still a ways until eq2 and it may be delayed to.

• reyakreyak Member Posts: 4
    I played a few years back and recently re-subcribed wth a buddy account. Like you, I got bored of alot of the other games out there without any content. There is alot of content in eq to keep me busy now until eq2 comes out and even then I'll probably keep my eq account. I really like the frogloks.

Well Reyak there are no worries because if i am not mistaken on EQ2 there are still gonna be frogloks...but please lol don't  qoute me on this....

Uilwen

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680
    Frogloks will still be around, and they will still be a playable race in eq2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• reyakreyak Member Posts: 4

Sweet image

I love just hopping around the world of Norrath.

• taylojltaylojl Member Posts: 3

I think it is still worth playing EQ even when EQ 2 comes out. SOE has said that they are both on different DEV teams. When EQ 2 comes out the EQ 1 team will loose there bonuses if poeple cancel there EQ 1 account and move to EQ 2. So I can see some nice stuff that will happen to keep player playing EQ. I'm just going to wait and se, but until then still playing EVERCRACK.

Me I am an Elf at heart that why in EQ1 I was mostly Wood elf...like 6/8 were Elf........

Pally,chanter,wiz,mage,cleric all High elf.....

ranger warrior bard rouge*if you can be rogue I forgot* wood elf

Bard half elf

But all in all I am a BIG elf guy......thats why in EQ2 I iwll start off with an elf and i iwll do that in WoW too......

usually if i go warrior tho i go with something big like an Barb...becasue I didn't like the trolls or the ogres starting places

Uilwen
    Waiting for
    Everquest 2
    World of warcraft
    Half-life 2
    Guild wars

Currently playing
    Everquest...45 wood elf Ranger
    DAoC.....26 Paladin *albion*

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue