Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Level Grinding in this game

Comments

• AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Focus*Bankai

Originally posted by achellis

there is going to be grinding.. its a korien grind game.. but it looks nice.. but so does SUN... and L3 will also
    aion is going to be for the "casual player" while lineage 3 they are making will more than likely become a game for hardcore players. i hate how people come into forums and belittle games that they havent even done their research over. jus research the game some. u will find that its alot different then u think

Its hard to believe things, that don't exist. And every mmorpg has grinding. But i guess you diden't do your proper research.
  • LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

The PROBLEM is you're using different DEFINITIONS...

If you admit "grinding" is based on opinion...

Then you have no base to argue if there's a grind or NOT...

Geez...

Besides,

Fact: NCsoft intends for Aion to be aimed at the casual gamers...

Fact: NCsoft intends for lineage3 to be aimed at their current "hardcore" player base...

• PeriodicPeriodic Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by LordDarkmist

The PROBLEM is you're using different DEFINITIONS...
    If you admit "grinding" is based on opinion...
    Then you have no base to argue if there's a grind or NOT...
    Geez...
    Besides,
    Fact: NCsoft intends for Aion to be aimed at the casual gamers...
    Fact: NCsoft intends for lineage3 to be aimed at their current "hardcore" player base...
    QFT

MxO Vet – 04-06
    COV/COH – 04-07
    WoW – 04-07

waiting for war.

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

I dont think its fair to generalize NCSoft games. Their lineup seems very different in apprach than most other companies out there. Its very varied.

L1&2: hardcore games

AA: Its cars, no way you can draw a paralell here, and no its not a grind game.

COX: very casual imo and very well done too, no endgame which is what kill it for me.

Looking ahead:

AION: eastern art style (imo better), with western mechanics (will appeal to many of you i for one dont care about easter style gameplay)

TR: something new and fresh

L3: their flag ship of hardcore pvp.

Also i for one dont care about grind. For me gring doesnt kill a game. What kills a game for me is having no purpose to going thorugh soo mcuh trouble. For example: i played L2 for 2 yrs, and not once did it ever bother me to spend soo much time lving. Why? because i had fun on the way chatting with friend making enemies, and i knew that in the end the result would be come epic castle sieges. I was satisfied with that. Regardless of how peeople view the animosity of its community, i found some of the greatest online friends in that game. I do believe grind is a state of mind. Grinding lvs in an area to me is the same as going from one place to the other looking for people to gimme quests that simply ask me to do what i would already be doing if i hadnt had to find him (killing mobs). Lets face it, the 'other' method of lving is quest based and so far no companie has been very creative in that department.

All quests in games revolve around 'kill 10 board bring their tusks, deliver this package to jimmy in town whatever'. So in my own preference i rather lv away in a spot with some friends while chatting that having to break away going to town and back 50 times to kill 3 types of mobs so i can get the xp. OFC thats my own preference, i am also one of those people who get rly excited when something drops, i dont care if i dont get it, i just like to see rare items drop. Imagine L2 witht he WORST loot tables on earth. everytime someone in the party got a cool drop everyone would go wild cuz it was something cool. I wish it wouldve been more lax in that deprartment but it is what it is.

Anyway i overwrote so forgive me

• cerveaucerveau Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I dunno, I thought Grinding was killing mobs over and over and over to gain

xp to level up.

The worst kind is killing the same mob for hours and hours, days, weeks - thats Grinding.

Doing a series of different Quests isnt grinding.....

It could only be called Grinding if you did the same Quest over and over and over

for hours, to gain xp to level up.

Thats what they mean when they say there is no grinding.
  • orezmaxorezmax Member Posts: 10
    ive never played any games were you can do the same quest again and again  and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and againlol
  • methulahmethulah Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by cerveau

xp to level up.

The worst kind is killing the same mob for hours and hours, days, weeks - thats Grinding.

It could only be called Grinding if you did the same Quest over and over and over

Answer this, what's the difference between killing 100 boars in the forest as a "grind" and getting a quest that requires you to kill 100 boars in the forest to collect ten tusks?
  • DefiledFDefiledF Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by methulah

Originally posted by cerveau

xp to level up.

Answer this, what's the difference between killing 100 boars in the forest as a "grind" and getting a quest that requires you to kill 100 boars in the forest to collect ten tusks? None, because what you just described is an awful sort of quest that some eastern mmos use to disguise the grind when they get ported to the western audience so we become interested.  Or just a really badly designed quest. Some like that in WoW, part of what put me off really.
  • orezmaxorezmax Member Posts: 10
    lol are you planing to get aion?...
  • twolfertwolfer Member Posts: 72

saw that someone posted that its a player run economy.  lol

this game looks like Lineage...and even IF they do away with the level grind, I can guarantee that it will turn into a game with gold farmers and bots controlling every aspect....just like Lineage....

NCSoft Korea scares me,,,,

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Aion appears to have some new ideas, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the game as its development progresses and hope it brings something fresh and new to the genre......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613
    maybe im just being silly.. but i dont mind the grind.. in fact i like grinding.. because once i get endgame.. its a good feeling

• deplorabledeplorable Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by orezmax

ive never played any games were you can do the same quest again and again  and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and againlol

you've obviously never played WoW that much ;) one of the, now, classic repeating quest is handing those damn things over in Hala.... nice bag reward though.. eventually (XP is nothing to write home about).

And LOTRO does feature a lot of repeatable quests, since that game is a quest grind.... ever tried to grind mobs there, not that easy unless combined with the 200%XP bonus. The deed system tried to remove a bit of the grind on mobs but lets face it, it's just kill 100 before the bar moves across.

*shrugs*

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723
    Promises promises, it is Korean, the koreans enjoy level grinding, it will have level grinding, end of story.  They may attempt to disguise it, but it will be there.
  • blaamblaam Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Ciredric

Promises promises, it is Korean, the koreans enjoy level grinding, it will have level grinding, end of story.  They may attempt to disguise it, but it will be there.

How ignorant is that statment...

lets look back  a bit and consider you dont have high lvl help for lvls

EQ, AC, UO for the olders ones .. yea there is no grind there and obviously people didint like  the non grind on those games.

AO, DAOC, SWG soon after ... same thing there is no grind on those games ... for the record back then it took me 10 month of hardcore playing to get to max lvl in AO.

i wont metion all the games that came after those as  most of them follow the same path... i ll jsut stop my rant with WoW.. yea WoW has no grind either  its not liek you need to farm reputations points doing the same silly repeteable quests right ?

All those games are made by Asian company btw !!

All of this to point at the fact that not only Asians ( koreans in particular) like grinding games, and also they are not the ones that made that feature a standard in the mmo world :p

Fact about Aion is simple: They are aiming for a eastern style game with western playstyle and usual features ( large customisation option  come to my mind here) more casual and with some new fresh ideas ( well lot arent new but never been done right). And people like the NCsoft product or not but one would have to be very stunborn not to admit they  are good  at releasing polished games.

It does look promising, lets jsut wait and see isntead of bashing with inaccurate and stupids arguments.
  • KyoichiKyoichi Member Posts: 23

Man, cut us some slack.. Do we need to repeat again and again to those idiots?

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    I would laugh my ass off if after they announced no level grinding they come out with some comment like " There is no level grinding but you must collect 50'000 acorns to get to second level." Item grind ftl, on the bright side, this game looks really nice which is typical for korean mmo's and the free flight thing is a really cool idea.

Cant believe Im saying this but I will be keeping my eye on this game.
  • gamespawngamespawn Member UncommonPosts: 21

Ok let's clear up things abit shall we ? ;)

Ok first of all Aion is going to be a prodigy, it isn't going to be just a grinder, nor a quest game.

From what i've read and heard Aion's going to be a game with a zillion ways to get exp, If you want to grind then you go grind.

wanna do a quest, do a quest. it's just not the same as every other mmo. Nc-soft means with 'not a level-grinding game' that it isn't just that, it will be possible to do so though, but if you wanna do something else it's your choice.

So awnser to the question in the topics-title; THERE WILL BE GRINDING BUT THAT'S ONLY 1 WAY TO GET EXP !!! there will be other ways to do so ;)

CASE CLOSED ^.. .^

AND btw why is everyone talkin about 'KOREAN-GAME' this game is a worldwide game, it's release will also be at the same date, not like koreans first, then other parts of azia and after 6 months the rest of the world, NO it will be                                                                                    worldwide so stop using the term 'KOREAN-game' please >.<  

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Is there any info on professions, skills, and those really cool angel wings?
  • SwanSongSwanSong Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Lateris

Is there any info on professions, skills, and those really cool angel wings?
    http://www.aionfuse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=292

The 8 classes of the Elyos were announced at the NCSoft conference in Korea. We haven't seen anything about the Asmodian yet - but I think we can pretty much assume that their classes will be the same.  Just a reminder - the names of the classes have NOT been finalised and so most likely will change. They DID rename Fallen/Chosen/Dragon to Asmodian/Elyos/Balaur didnt they? :P
  • AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76

Big chance we'll get a grindfest, if not it will be a GW on sterioids type of game. Besides without the grinding you will get noobs on same levels as elite players? And we don't want noobs with wings do we, it should be something special to get.  Nah, i'll vote for the grindfest. Hardcore ftw!

• jmmcglojmmcglo Member Posts: 203

I don't know about what most people like or don't like, but me personally... I played FFXI online for 2.5 years (starting from beta). You want a grindfest... that game is hardcore grind. So, considering the time I put into that game, it's what I am use to. I like to have some hardcore grinding in a game, but I also like to be casual some times. From what NCSoft has promised us... they have answered the call and want to provide us with a game that has hardcore along with softcore aspects. I think that hardcore gamers will benifit a ton in Aion as it's being made to apeal to softcore gamers. I am still going hardcore... gona pump in about 20~30 hours a week during the summer and 30~40 hours a week in the winter.

We are recruiting... Want to learn more? Click here.

• Ultimate87Ultimate87 Member Posts: 6

well, if u watch all of the in-gam videos, u will see ppl grinding to show off there skills, so i think grinding is going to be a way to lvl in this incredebly awsome game

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Can anyone name one single MMO ever, where someone didn't complain about a grind of some sort?

No matter what kind of content you put in, no matter how many ways you try to entertain people, there will be someone whining about a "grind."  Always.

Here's a secret:  The Grind is all in your head.  It comes from wanting to be max level rather than enjoying the game as you play it.  Stop obsessing about the DING, and The Grind disappears.

If the game at your current level is not fun, then it's a bad game.  But you have to allow yourself to enjoy it -- explore, try different things, see what it has to offer a character your level rather than focusing on the promise of the endgame.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by Hexxeity

Can anyone name one single MMO ever, where someone didn't complain about a grind of some sort?
    No matter what kind of content you put in, no matter how many ways you try to entertain people, there will be someone whining about a "grind."  Always.
    Here's a secret:  The Grind is all in your head.  It comes from wanting to be max level rather than enjoying the game as you play it.  Stop obsessing about the DING, and The Grind disappears.
    If the game at your current level is not fun, then it's a bad game.  But you have to allow yourself to enjoy it -- explore, try different things, see what it has to offer a character your level rather than focusing on the promise of the endgame.
    QFT

Could not have said it better!