Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thought I'd give you guys a laugh - This just posted on the official site (not by me, I might add).

Comments

• derektoddderektodd Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by xPaladin

@Derektodd,

Those pics made me cry a bit, good job. Good times.
    yeah it makes me cry too.... Damn it was helluva fun as a Jedi during Pre CU.
  • AfroPuffAfroPuff Member Posts: 207
    RE: NGE

I used to follow this very closely having been one of the Pre-CU vets affected by the mismanagement of this title.  Although I might have missed it, I never saw anything like what teddyboy420 suggests regarding the culpability of LEC regarding the NGE.  Not that it makes a difference ultimately.  It's water under the bridge, can't be undone, and most importantly, there's plenty enough blame to go around for both companies -- as has already been pointed out.

SWG Team Mtg.

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866
    Even if they were going to do it, don't you think SOE would just do something like try to buy out the SWG Emu instead of coding it themselves? I no longer SOE for my games purchases even with titles like Gods and Heroes, it's just not worth seeing another game crash downhill like SWG again.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48

A dev recently said they were working on bringing vets back rather than new players.

Maybe Soe and LA just got together whilst drinking dr pepper and said ''lets just do it, whats the worse that could happen''

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Frenz

A dev recently said they were working on bringing vets back rather than new players.
    Maybe Soe and LA just got together whilst drinking dr pepper and said ''lets just do it, whats the worse that could happen''

LOL! sounds good but i doubt it. I do remember reading something on the LA website that if you bought the complete online adventures you will only be able to play the NGE. Ive seen it posted before. I didnt know we had a choice. DO WE? Sounds as if you have an original copy of SWG then you may be able to play an earlier version of the game. And this was said by an LA moderator back in march of this year.

Dont know what it ment but it was an interesting tid bit. Wish i could find that thread again.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Well, the OP's provided rumor was that a "rollback" would be in the form of a new publish putting a new version of SWG that looks a great deal like Pub 8 on top of the NGE, and the CU, and the original game.

One of my concerns is there is no telling how much extraneous code that was used for game subsystems that are no longer needed in the NGE game are still running in the background due to no one knowing what they do and being afraid to cut them out less they break something.   Such subsystems would be eating up computing resources both on servers and on clients, contributing to lag on top of overspawns by the Legacy quest mobs on Talus, for example.

I have a sneaking suspcion that the change management of the code sucks; the original devs who wrote it are long gone, it wasn't well documented due to the suits demanding that this thing go gold so we can get our ROI NOW! and shortcuts were made to deal with the monkey on your back right now, and the heck with the long term consquences.

Also, more than a few players with real world project management experience noted that what they were seeing were indicators of poor project management.

Putting another layer on top of the NGE might be very problematic, especially if "The Total Experience" client is stripped down code that doesn't have all the stuff those of us installed the original game with on our clients, just enough to run anything post NGE.

Odds are good that this is just another rumor that will not pan out.

Unlike the infamous "Jedi will be a starting profession" rumor that all dismissed as just unthinkable.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• BogdawsonBogdawson Member Posts: 202
    jedi is a easy part of the game to fix, let every jedi to into the new system, put in jedi perma death, you die your dead, and bh gank squads with player bounties and that would take care of the jedi
  • miatakamiataka Member Posts: 232
    Well I definatly am No college educated programmer.

What Iam is a player... a SWG vet from Pub ...what was it... 4 or 5 ... when they gave us Droids and vehicles?...

Anyway.. Im no genius or rocket scientist. But even I can figure out a few ideas to make a "roll back " work.

Like this.. even tho our characters as "elders" are upgraded to NGE there are ways to repair that. First off you start by setting up a few Servers with Pre NGE code, and TBH I dont think pub 8 would work, there was a TON of bugs then and FRS and a few other complications, like lack of JTL and kashyyk and mustafar. But they could do a CU database of ToOW launch day, Confirmed they have a back up file as ..LOL.. when it went live we had to do a 2 day roll back =p

once those server are set up... then you can Opt to do a server transfer from current to classic. It would be a simple conversion prog that awards X ammount of skill points to be set too trees per X character level in NGE system.

your basic palm piolot could handle that Im sure the brillent minds SOE has could create a basic exchange forumal, tho the result would be irrevesable that once you converted you could never transfer back to a NGE server..

Once SOE has a flodd of returned accounts and a in flux of new accounts, which any account could have teh choice of making a new character on the classic servers if they feel like it. Here is were as a former Test Server player you cant BS me with non-sense of running seperate versions unfeasable. YOU can and they did for 3 years prior too NGE. we on TC were always one patch ahead of the community Live game we were always getting patches to fix the bugs we found. 

OK so here is where the truth would happen.. run both versions for 6 months to get a real view. If you Have more population active on NGE servers.... or Classic servers determines who the future project team (new content) will base there version on... And they CAN afford it.. dont sell funding BS on me...its Freaking Lucas arts and Sony ... both Global Empires that have more money then Bill Gates.

If you have 5k NGE players and 200K classic server players..guess which version to make your new expansions for and which version will be left to stale out in as is non upgradable state.

This format allows marketing to see for themself.. minimal risk max accounts acctive .. using what they have now and not enrageing those ppl that love NGE ...yet bring back Our SWG.  And if no vets return and minmal intrest is shown in classic servers... well then everyone can STFU cause they tried and the players ignored the co.

But I am willing to guess ... in first month SOE would get near 30,000 station pases and up too 100,000 credit card and game card activations for SWG solo (non station pass) and hit near 150,000 NGE to Classic Server transfer requests. (and thats only about 1/2 of what accounts were active at pre CU days ...as there is that many that just wont come back for a variety of reasons.)

with that setting SOE with the firepower and number to justify developing expansions once more...and get us our dammed capitol ships, player/guild owned Space stations and Hoth (full time pvp only planet) and Dagobah and Coursant planets. The seperation of Jedi/sith war from GCW and a 3rd underworld faction (gee like there other game ... Star wars empire at war RTS did)

But ... Im just some player...wtf do I know...

Miataka (+many sub variation of that)
    ~WoW (Kael'Thas, USA)
    MiaTaka
    ~ RF On-line (Fire Server)
    -Mia- takahashi
    ~SWG (Europe-chimaera)
    Miataki Valeinca
    ~EQ 2 (everfrost)
    MiaTaka Soyinka
    ~Second Life

• GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Bogdawson

jedi is a easy part of the game to fix, let every jedi to into the new system, put in jedi perma death, you die your dead, and bh gank squads with player bounties and that would take care of the jedi
    Give perma death to NGE noobs, but not preNGE.. or CU for those who wanna be picky lol.

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

• pegauspegaus Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by GrimReapez

Originally posted by Bogdawson

Give perma death to NGE noobs, but not preNGE.. or CU for those who wanna be picky lol.

the best way would be to start with clean servers, meaning every one starts from scratch again
    No toon transfers, that would suck.

I believe the best way to do it would be to continue the server consolidations. Once the servers are down to respectable numbers for the NGE'ers. there will be a lot of freed up servers to work with. Load up a few remaining servers with a pre-CU pub, i dont really care to much for which version should be loaded. You all can figure that out on your own.

Now heres where it get interesting. A bunch of really cool guys have been making the SWGemu for the last couple years and have done some amazing things. Let the original SWG community have total creative control over missions, quests, and content. By content i maen allow them to take various things from the expansions that the community deemed good and wants to see in the game.

Sony would only supply the servers. They would charge $14.99 a month for sub's. A small percetage would go to the SWGemu guys for there work.

So here's what we would get. A beloved game, maintained, and policed by its own player community. SOE gets paid cuz they run the servers. LA gets paid for the IP, and the guys that made the SWGemu get paid. We get our game back and we get to say what we want and dont want in the game.

I believe this is a win win situation right here.
  • pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443
    Oh yeah, this will be the one out of 500 or so whacky rumors in the past year to come true!

Come on guys.. i mean, really..

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I know, like really!!

Why on earth would they want to ignore the possibility of potentially making millions more a year, and channeling some of that money into developing more content for NGE servers.

That would just be wacky!  

Originally posted by pirrg

Oh yeah, this will be the one out of 500 or so whacky rumors in the past year to come true!

Come on guys.. i mean, really..
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

as much as i would like for it to be true, it will never happen. I would be the first one calling out sick for a week from work toplay in pre nge, but i am a realist. and until it is officially stated by soe or la....every rumor is false to me

pre nge is dead and buried. Let it go.

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

I doubt this will happen, but it would be a great Public Relations victory for SOE if it did.

SOE could do a LOT to repair their reputation if they put up classic servers, or simply rolled the game back.  Don't even use that stupid excuse that the old code is gone...  GIVE ME A BREAK.  You don't spend MILLIONS writing years of code only to "throw it away" or delete it...

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard on any forum.  SOE has the code, or LA does, and they could sell it to an upstart and let them run classic servers.  SWG: NGE isn't EVER going to challenge other MMO's, SOE and LA know it...

This idea doesn't seem that unrealistic.  Classic SWG: An Empire Divided servers would do more than just make SOE/LA more money, it would go miles to saving their reputations.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by infrared1

I believe the best way to do it would be to continue the server consolidations. Once the servers are down to respectable numbers for the NGE'ers. there will be a lot of freed up servers to work with. Load up a few remaining servers with a pre-CU pub, i dont really care to much for which version should be loaded. You all can figure that out on your own.

Now heres where it get interesting. A bunch of really cool guys have been making the SWGemu for the last couple years and have done some amazing things. Let the original SWG community have total creative control over missions, quests, and content. By content i maen allow them to take various things from the expansions that the community deemed good and wants to see in the game.

Sony would only supply the servers. They would charge $14.99 a month for sub's. A small percetage would go to the SWGemu guys for there work.

So here's what we would get. A beloved game, maintained, and policed by its own player community. SOE gets paid cuz they run the servers. LA gets paid for the IP, and the guys that made the SWGemu get paid. We get our game back and we get to say what we want and dont want in the game.

This will never happen since 90% of the People that left because of the NGE or are still pining for a rollback don't want the type of people that are attempting to create the EMu to be in charge of the game.

Cmon.....the personalities that are trying to design the Emu (and get their pants sued off along the way) are the worst type of Fan Boys out there.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• CadillacCTSCadillacCTS Member Posts: 6

Actually, SOE and Lucas Arts know exactly what they can potentially gain from a pre-NGE server. Thats what part of the point in the whole housing purge. They let all vets use a free 14 day trial and monitored the influx of the player base.

Polls and questionares are one thing, but if a player takes the time to download the updates with the 14day trial <which can easily take hours for most people> to pay their maintenance, then that certainly gives SOE a better idea of who would resub. 

For instance, if they had lets say 53,873 active players and through the course of  housing purge, over 126,000 take advantage of the 14 day trial, pay their maintence and dont resub, then maybe you have twice as many people still interested in the game that don't play anymore than your current player base. Lucas Arts did contact the ducks awhile back, which was no secret. Plans for Character Transfers is also in the works, which again is no secret.

I'm not tryin to contribute anything towards the validity of the OP because I wouldn't think they would actually change every server to pub 8. I'm just saying that it took a few weeks to put together a plan to merge 13 servers down to 4 for Vangaurd, so they have plans to try to bring back players to fill the current servers. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by infrared1

This will never happen since 90% of the People that left because of the NGE or are still pining for a rollback don't want the type of people that are attempting to create the EMu to be in charge of the game.

Cmon.....the personalities that are trying to design the Emu (and get their pants sued off along the way) are the worst type of Fan Boys out there.

I see your point, but i don't see the EMU guys as that kind of fanboi. From what i've read they are just like most vets and want the game back the way it was and enjoy the community. Most EMU's never come to light or most are done very quickly. They are passionate about the game so much that they have worked for nearly 2 years on it, and on their own time. Thats dedication. Fanboi?? or just trying to make things right with vets?? Who knows.....
  • epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by AveBethos

I doubt this will happen, but it would be a great Public Relations victory for SOE if it did.
    SOE could do a LOT to repair their reputation if they put up classic servers, or simply rolled the game back.  Don't even use that stupid excuse that the old code is gone...  GIVE ME A BREAK.  You don't spend MILLIONS writing years of code only to "throw it away" or delete it...
    That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard on any forum.  SOE has the code, or LA does, and they could sell it to an upstart and let them run classic servers.  SWG: NGE isn't EVER going to challenge other MMO's, SOE and LA know it...
    This idea doesn't seem that unrealistic.  Classic SWG: An Empire Divided servers would do more than just make SOE/LA more money, it would go miles to saving their reputations.

Indeed! Does anyone remember the great Coca Cola disaster? If a big company like that can admit to their mistakes, undo the changes and give the customers what they want, then SOE/LA can do that as well (at least I hope...).

In all honesty I don't think a roll back is going to happen. It would be to difficult, to much water under the bridge! It would be better to start from scratch with a brand new server (no transfers allowed!). Or even better would be to just end this nightmare and reset all servers (similar to what they did with TC Prime) and load them with publish 8 or whatever. Perhaps with the option of keeping the name(s) of your old toons, but they would have no skills, own nothing and only have 1k credits in the pocket.

As for the things that have been added since that horrible afternoon in late April 2005, I would gladly sacrifice all of it in favour to get the old game back. Even JTL!

• Fraya9Fraya9 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by epf1  
     but they would have no skills, own nothing and only have 1k credits in the pocket.
    1k credits and a melon.  Don't forget the melon.  Opening your pack for the first time, looking at it and going "wtf?" was priceless we totally need that back.
  • epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Fraya9

but they would have no skills, own nothing and only have 1k credits in the pocket.
    1k credits and a melon.  Don't forget the melon.  Opening your pack for the first time, looking at it and going "wtf?" was priceless we totally need that back.

Oh yeah, forgot that lol.

...So make that 1k credits and the Maroj melon

• miatakamiataka Member Posts: 232
    well, I dont know what kinda stuff you guys had / have,

I personally Have Items on my in-active main account I dont want to give up, Not really super rare or highend gear, Just My stuff.. that has meening too me, my CLOTHS I made when I was a master tailor, my guild dance outfits. and all the stuff that made my character Mine.

No i dont want a clean slate, I want the game I played for 2 1/2 years to come back. I want my X wing and my Bunker that I had as a ToOW vet..

I want my money worth I paid for 2 accounts to be pre order special Item accounts of ToOW which I only got to play for a week till NGE hit Live.

I myself was in pre- pub 5ish...

JTL pre order

CU survior (even gave us lil plaque things for our houses)

RotW Pre Order

ToOW pre order

I would like to think that and my Pre Order Kasshyyk stuff is still MINE and that all that time and Real money spent actually ment something.

The reason for NGE survivors to have the chance to Transfer is so they can keep there stuff that makes them who they are. Keep in mind there are Pre 8 vets that still play, just cause they play (I dont) dont make them less of a vet then Us. All the special paintings items, time, cloths etc that they have accumalated in the last year and a half since NGE they should be allowed to take with them if they chose to go Classic server, Thus the character x-fers.

And SOE all ready does that as a paid service and has since CU 1, SO its not a matter if there "working" on that its been live for 2+ years. So where is the Line to be drawn, ppl say pub 8 was most fun...

Nah it was really buggy.. and if you remeber Master Rifleman with a kryat Jawa rifle would 2 shot most ppl. Melee stackers could out tank Jedi and ppl would get stuck in buildings.. vechles wouldnt store, city taxes all messed up... resource spawns would fluctuate or not appear. dizzy/kd bug where sometimes you coulndt get back up till you re logged.

Only thing good about 8 was the fact that was the last Active Pub with FRS, so what we are really saying is give us ToOW with FRS toggle on, yes SONY we know its a toggle and you choose it off for your own reasons.

thats it, I know some ppl didnt like CU ... but by the time ToOW went Live majority of bugs were out, Squad Leader just had its revamp and ranger and smugglers were next... with a whole new planet .... yeah.. right there will be just fine.

well.. lol..  like this is anything other then wishing, I Hope SOE does this. I doubt it. But if they did I would be back that DAY with all 4 accounts.

Miataka (+many sub variation of that)
    ~WoW (Kael'Thas, USA)
    MiaTaka
    ~ RF On-line (Fire Server)
    -Mia- takahashi
    ~SWG (Europe-chimaera)
    Miataki Valeinca
    ~EQ 2 (everfrost)
    MiaTaka Soyinka
    ~Second Life

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

You guys got 1k in credits? All I got was 200 credits, a pesky droid, a knife, a melon, the clothes on my back and a CDEF blaster.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by tillamook

You guys got 1k in credits? All I got was 200 credits, a pesky droid, a knife, a melon, the clothes on my back and a CDEF blaster.

They must have gotten a good sum of credits in the loot drop off that pirate in the space station!

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by SioBabble

Originally posted by tillamook

They must have gotten a good sum of credits in the loot drop off that pirate in the space station!

lol I just looked back through a 3 YR old chat log and it looks like I lotted 31 credits off him.

"Y o u   l o o t   3 1   c r e d i t s   f r o m   c o r p s e   o f   O d o i f a l l o   E t h e d i d   ( a   b a n d i t ) "

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter