Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mourning- Unethical Business and Horrid Game

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Welles

I payed a visit to gamedev.net and informed them of some things they should know about Colton. Hopefully  it helps the posters there to understand what Colton is fully capable of.
    Yeah, so did I. Unfortunately, "Jerky" over there thinks everyone is Tunabun. Oh, well. You try to help, and what do ya get?
  • golfjerkygolfjerky Member Posts: 6

Hey guys.  Yes, I am defending Troy.  I have been reading your thread here.  Looks like you do have more good information to share.  If you want to get listened to over on GD.net, you need to provide links and build your case.  Don't just link this thread, noone will want to read 144 pages.  Link and quote official things.  Is there any way you can prove that Troy is Colton?  I will retract my defense if you can. 

The reason I thought it was tunabum is because I have seen that happen before.  It's a kneejerk reaction to posts that just flame, with not information to share.  Opinions aren't going to be good enough.  Hopefully my rating doesn't get tarnished too bad over there, especially if I find out that Troy is just an alias for Colton.

So, the challenge is:  find me some more proof.  I am all for fighting against the evil guys out there, but the software still may be legit.  Here are a couple other interesting things (I think you already found these):

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=1201099&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=TRUE

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=1247318&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

Keep up the hunt.  Just be aware that GD.net isnt going to allow that thread to become like this one. 

Erik Briggs (Jerky)
    Project Manager - Project Wish
    http://www.projectwish.com
    My New Blog: http://erikbriggs.me

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Wow.... its back....

This thread should be stickied just for posterity... Its immortal ! 

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    You know you've been here awhile when:

1. You remember when egomancer tried to shut this thread down

2. You remember when Razorback and Enigma used to work here.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost
    You know you've been here awhile when:1. You remember when egomancer tried to shut this thread down

or

3. You have read this entire thread from post 1 till the end (like i did tonight)

i remember reading when MMORPG.com took mourning and Thrones of Chaos off of the site so i decided to read this legendary thread to see all the facts and from what i gather its more messed up then we anticipated...lets hope it dont get worse

• DerfelCadarnDerfelCadarn Member Posts: 875
    Originally posted by golfjerky

Hey guys.  Yes, I am defending Troy.  I have been reading your thread here.  Looks like you do have more good information to share.  If you want to get listened to over on GD.net, you need to provide links and build your case.  Don't just link this thread, noone will want to read 144 pages.  Link and quote official things.  Is there any way you can prove that Troy is Colton?  I will retract my defense if you can. 
    The reason I thought it was tunabum is because I have seen that happen before.  It's a kneejerk reaction to posts that just flame, with not information to share.  Opinions aren't going to be good enough.  Hopefully my rating doesn't get tarnished too bad over there, especially if I find out that Troy is just an alias for Colton.
    So, the challenge is:  find me some more proof.  I am all for fighting against the evil guys out there, but the software still may be legit.  Here are a couple other interesting things (I think you already found these):
    http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=1201099&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=TRUE

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=1247318&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

Keep up the hunt.  Just be aware that GD.net isnt going to allow that thread to become like this one. 
    I haven't been following this new "version of mourning" as some of the others, so you might need to get information from other sources. Still, you need to understand one thing before you proceed. This game (Mourning, Realms of Krel, Age of Mourning, Thrones of Chaos, Era of Shadows etc) along with all the different companies (Horizons, LoudAnt, etc) involved have all been malicious low lives. Their "games" range from terrible vaporware  at best and a outright scam at worst. When this deserved reputation finally reaches a bolling point, many times these different developers pretend to "sell" the game or change the name to rid it of criticism. However, the process begins anew after they try the same unprofessional and unethical business practices and act like thugs (threats of legal action, repeated threats and insults, etc) toward their fanbase. Everyone soon finds out they are the same people or a similar group of people. There hasn't been one legit developer in the whole history of this wonderful game.

So really, you might want to read 144 pages just for some context. Sadly, most of the old "Mourning" and "thrones of Chaos" mmorpg.com boards have been deleted, they provided alot of useful information as well. Krelslibrary.org has some good info still.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Well, thats the difference this time, at least the way I see it.  Its not a new version of Mourning at all.  The Chaos Engine software is not making a game.  The argument this time is against the software (tools and server) that they are selling, which by all accounts, is not vaporware.  The GD.net thread only has to do with that.  I was already familiar with Mourning and all its glorious failures years ago, so that is not news to me, and I am not going to read 144 pages of thread.  First of all, its not worth it to me.  Second of all, thats crazy.  Who has that much time?  You guys maybe, but not me.  I should be working on my own project.

The only reason I have gone as far as I have is because my reputation over on GD.net could be on the line.  I defended Troy, an act at which I am still not sorry for.  It was fair.  Guilty or not, the proof is not there yet.  Like I mentioned in that thread, since it was new information to that forum, it seemed like a "guilty-before-proven-innocent."  In the end, he may end up being guilty, but he still deserves a fair trial, so to speak.  GD.net is a respectable forum, not one in which you can jump on and trash someone.  Whether or not you guys are in the right doesn't matter, its the way in which it needs to be done.  If you truly want to descredit someone, build your case.  Gather the evidence of hard facts.

I asked Troy to respond to why Colton's name is on the business he now owns.  If he has an explanation for it, thats about all we can do, unless new evidence comes up.  There is enough information there, that any perspective buyer for the tools/engine can do the research for themselves.  The possibility there is a high one, because "Chaos Game Media LLC" is what Colton owns(ed), while Troy's company seems to be "Chaos Software Group."  These could be

Oh, and one last bit of Information, aside from GD.net locking the thread, I found this on the Chaos Game Engine site:

"Chaos Software Group is currently in the early planning stages of releasing a second open source variant license to the Chaos Engine MMOG Development Solution and toolset which would essentially make it the most powerful open source MMORPG development solution of its kind available in the world!

Placing a solution as powerful as this into the hands of the many talented start-up developers and mod communities is an exciting and unprecedented move. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!"

I don't remember seeing that before.  I would imagine, if that is truly new on their site, that this is their attempt at dispelling all the nasty rumors and to prove that it truly is a product of its own.  If that statement comes to life, anyone can take a look and play with the code.  So, be careful guys.  If Chaos Software Group truly is seperate from Colton, which they claim, then you may be trying to take down an innocent party.  I know you guys are on a mission and all, but make sure you know who you are targetting.

Erik Briggs (Jerky)

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Thrones of Chaos : Game Returns to List

Posted Oct 06, 2006 by Dana Massey

77 comments in our forums

We did a lot of digging and are now convinced that Thrones of Chaos deserves to be judged on its own merits. This game, built off the title once known as Mourning, is being developed by Lound Ant Software in Portland, OR. We interviewed CEO Colton Burgess and others to cut through all the drama and confusion of this chequered game.

After extensive interviews and research, MMORPG.com is pleased to add Thrones of Chaos to our game list. This title, being built off the game once known as Mourning, is being developed by Portland, OR based Loud Ant Software LLC and promises a hardcore PvP experience in a fantasy setting.

The original Mourning project had been delisted by MMORPG.com in a famous incident involving developer abuse of our staff, among other things. Later, they attempted to launch the game in an almost unplayable state after a pre-order debacle. Since then, the game was sold, but due to confusion involving a partner company called Nuanced Entertainment, we once again removed the game from our list until we could confirm that it was indeed in fresh hands and a legitimate title.

Before returning it to the list, we spoke to Loud Ant CEO Colton Burgress, the CEO of Nuanced Entertainment Adam McCall and the original Producer of Mourning Andrei Gireada. The game's original owner refused to be interviewed for this piece. The three men clarified their roles, some of the history and confirmed that the project had indeed completely changed hands.

For the full article click here.

Memories. Remember all the paid advertising for this game when it was relisted?

• GarmanGarman Member Posts: 69
    The eight wonder of the cyber world: The Mourning thread

soon youll be 200 pages long

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Rich Cook

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by golfjerky

Well, thats the difference this time, at least the way I see it.  Its not a new version of Mourning at all.  The Chaos Engine software is not making a game.  The argument this time is against the software (tools and server) that they are selling, which by all accounts, is not vaporware.  The GD.net thread only has to do with that.  I was already familiar with Mourning and all its glorious failures years ago, so that is not news to me, and I am not going to read 144 pages of thread.  First of all, its not worth it to me.  Second of all, thats crazy.  Who has that much time?  You guys maybe, but not me.  I should be working on my own project.
    The only reason I have gone as far as I have is because my reputation over on GD.net could be on the line.  I defended Troy, an act at which I am still not sorry for.  It was fair.  Guilty or not, the proof is not there yet.  Like I mentioned in that thread, since it was new information to that forum, it seemed like a "guilty-before-proven-innocent."  In the end, he may end up being guilty, but he still deserves a fair trial, so to speak.  GD.net is a respectable forum, not one in which you can jump on and trash someone.  Whether or not you guys are in the right doesn't matter, its the way in which it needs to be done.  If you truly want to descredit someone, build your case.  Gather the evidence of hard facts.
    I asked Troy to respond to why Colton's name is on the business he now owns.  If he has an explanation for it, thats about all we can do, unless new evidence comes up.  There is enough information there, that any perspective buyer for the tools/engine can do the research for themselves.  The possibility there is a high one, because "Chaos Game Media LLC" is what Colton owns(ed), while Troy's company seems to be "Chaos Software Group."  These could be
    Oh, and one last bit of Information, aside from GD.net locking the thread, I found this on the Chaos Game Engine site:

"Chaos Software Group is currently in the early planning stages of releasing a second open source variant license to the Chaos Engine MMOG Development Solution and toolset which would essentially make it the most powerful open source MMORPG development solution of its kind available in the world!
    Placing a solution as powerful as this into the hands of the many talented start-up developers and mod communities is an exciting and unprecedented move. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!"

I don't remember seeing that before.  I would imagine, if that is truly new on their site, that this is their attempt at dispelling all the nasty rumors and to prove that it truly is a product of its own.  If that statement comes to life, anyone can take a look and play with the code.  So, be careful guys.  If Chaos Software Group truly is seperate from Colton, which they claim, then you may be trying to take down an innocent party.  I know you guys are on a mission and all, but make sure you know who you are targetting.

I understand where you are coming from, Jerky. I also realize that GDnet is for mmo engines/tools and not the actual games. Also, I don't think any of us had any intention of turning GDnet into another battlefield for our cause. We only want to see that you guys didn't get took by the engine/coding, as we all did by the so-called games produced from said engine/coding.

I would say the only way Troy is going to be able to clear his name and the name of his product is for the following to happen:

1.) As you already asked, an explaination of Colton's name on his business.

2) A full demo available for the public (even if it's just for the community at GDnet) to try/test this engine and see if it is legit and/or valid as a replacement for the other time-proven engines on the market.

I do wish they hadn't removed the ToC forum from here, because alot of what we found before was in those threads. but if Troy is Colton or connected to him in some way, it won't take long to find out, as the one constant failing that Colton has always had is his ego.

He, to use a phrase he seems to enjoy, goes "TILT" without much provocation.

Originally posted by Zorvan

2) A full demo available for the public (even if it's just for the community at GDnet) to try/test this engine and see if it is legit and/or valid as a replacement for the other time-proven engines on the market.
    Actually, we may get our wish there.  Open sourcing the engine allows all of its code (or at least the portion they open source) to be seen.  If that happens, people will know very quickly if its worth anything at all, or if it is junk.  Time will tell.

Erik Briggs (Jerky)

Yeah we got sick of grinding the organ and decided to rejoin the monkies

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235
    You ground your organ?

• BiteyBitey Member Posts: 356

Troy's behavior, characteristics and language is very similar to that of LoudAnt spokesmen (It was Colton, I think) that posted here on mmorpg.com when mourning was bought out. The same skit of the "mean nasty man is gone, we are professional and in charge".

Even if their was a transaction that took place, I can't figure out how it makes business sense. Why Seller A sell the complete rights of the engine to a Buyer A that in turn is simply liciencing the engine? Why couldn't Seller A do the licencing himself?

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Razorback

Yeah we got sick of grinding the organ and decided to rejoin the monkies Amen to that, Ma Brotha!

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    So... this game any good? 
  • komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by Bitey

Even if their was a transaction that took place, I can't figure out how it makes business sense. Why Seller A sell the complete rights of the engine to a Buyer A that in turn is simply liciencing the engine? Why couldn't Seller A do the licencing himself?
    For the same reasons some lottery winners choose a lump sum payment instead of monthly payments.  It's a choice between doing the work of licensing for larger, long term reward and selling it for less work with a smaller(usually), immediate reward.  Assuming of course this isn't just more bs from Colton and his alt-o-mania

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    this game has to be the longest lasting trainwreck since the crusades....
    Originally posted by RedwoodSap

You ground your organ?
    Habitually   

+-+-+-+-+-+
    -+-+-+-+-+-+

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Originally posted by Signe

So... this game any good? 

Lol they say it is going to be good. I can't wait, Mourning is hyped.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• Invictus84Invictus84 Member Posts: 2

They got my $40.00 

-Invictus

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Originally posted by Invictus84

They got my $40.00 

Ouch.

Sorry to bump but anyone know if the German version is still being made or whatever?

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

This is probably the only game that beats out DFO.

But this thread... this thread is legendary.  Most of the Mods and Admins weren't around when this thread started... and some of them might not even know the story behind this thread.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

This is probably the only game that beats out DFO.
    But this thread... this thread is legendary.  Most of the Mods and Admins weren't around when this thread started... and some of them might not even know the story behind this thread.

This seems very interesting, but there is no way I'm reading all that.  Could someone please give me a quick summary of what this thread is about?  Up until this point I've never even heard of a game called Mourning.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

OMFG.

They are STILL making money off of people I see!

The Chaos Game Engine... Now they are selling their P.O.S. engine with old screenshots from the old Mourning website!

www.chaosgameengine.com

I also remember that they were supposed to be based out of Portland, OR now days, but that it was supposedly a whole new company that was going to re-release the game under a new name and all... but I also thought people starting discovering it was in fact the same people with just a new PR and web designer from Portland.

Hell I dunno. Please tell me that I am wrong and this isn't the same people such as "tiamat" behind this game engine being sold now! It sure looks like it could be, but atleast maybe they finally got halfway smart and hired some different PR people and stuff to try and sell their shit.

Anyhow, that's really what I'd wanna buy. The freakin game engine to Mourning. OMFG. This crap is unreal. Are they ever gonna be done trying to rip people off?

- Zaxx

This discussion has been closed.