Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Straight forward review. 6.2/10

junerianjunerian Member Posts: 60
I have played Tibia for the last 3 and 1/2 years finaly quit recently for LOTRO.

General: (8/10)

Tibia is a very unique game mainly in the fact that it is 2d not 3d. This of course is not necesarly bad, for many people this makes the game unplayable as they refuse to play a 2D game. Being 2D though allows tibia to have many of the features it has though, Tibia's house feature is rather unique and as far as I can tell not doable on a 3D game like WoW without YEARS of perfecting it. More over the monsters are smarter in Tibia than in any other MMO I have played.

Players: (6/10)

The community in Tibia ranges form awesome to immature and untolerable. Usualy Swedish, German, UK, Australian, USA, Dutch, and etc players are rather mature and help for a great community but Polish/Brazilian players help to make the community intolerable at most times.

Vocations "classes": (6.5/10)

The classes in Tibia arn't very well balanced, and well there's not much to choose from. Sorcerers are horribly over powered, druids are just weaker sorcerers, knights are horribly under powered and rather dull, and paladins are in the middle but a lot of work.

Knights: The "tanks" aka blockers of Tibia. All they are really there for is blocking; in PvP they get owned and compare a sorcerers leveling rate to a knights.

Mage (sorc/druid): Mages in general are over powered can level quickly and are awesome at PvP. Sorcerers are the best of the best being able to use "Ultimate explosion" aka UE. Druids are nothing but a bit under powered sorcerers that can heal.

Paladin:The paladin's aka pallys are right in the middle between a mage and a knight, being able to "SD" at higher levels and use bolts to hit monsters from a distance. They are very exspensive though and require a lot of training.

Crafting: (1/10)

Tibia has no real crafting at all. Closes it has is rune making.

Skills: (7/10)

Tibia has a rather unique skill system and I like the way it's set up but it takes far to much training (literally like 15 hours+ at later levels) to go up one skill.

Sounds: (10/10)

There's no sound at all but I love that fact, I always disable 3D mmo's sounds they annoy me and I prefer to just play my own music from ITunes in the backround.

Graphics:  (8/10)

Yes their 2D but they're unique and I like that.

Hackers/botters/cheaters: (1/10)

High levels are ALWAYS getting hacked on a daily if not hourly basis. Also Tibia is filled with cheaters/botters.

Over all fun: (8.5/10)

This game has it's +/- like any game but over all it is rather fun especialy at the higher levels and can hold ones interest for many years.

Rating: 6.2

Comments

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904
    I'm sorry to say but you have no idea of what you are talking about. First of all you are missing the complete meaning that Tibian players have created. With open PvP this game has created such strongly tied alliances and clans that each world is so strongly tied together. Most players are protected by higher level/skill players that will hunt you if you kill them. I think this alone makes Tibia a very hard game for new players to enter.

And for classes, none of them are underpowered. Each class has his own purpose. Druids are needed for UH's (Ultimate Healing Runes) that anyone can use at a certain magic skill. Knights can use the best weapons and can utilize them with their skill in that weapon type. A paladin will never be able to hit as hard as a knight and will have a fraction of the health and defenses. Sorcerers are indeed very powerful for all of their spells and capabilities.

And the graphics do have a feel for them, but they suck. Cipsoft is apprehensive to change the game engine because a lot of the players are poor or have very low end computers.

Another point is this game is updated twice a year. Cipsoft basically just lets this game be player controlled and adds new land and very occasionally new armor/weapons.

And for hackers, people are not being hacked on the hour. Their are a lot of key logging programs and fake botting programs to steal accounts, but that is a decision made by the player to dl/go to these sites.

This game is really not noob friendly. I would only recommend someone to start playing this game if they have been very social in past mmo's and have made friends quickly. If you do not have support in higher 30+ levels you will be pk'd randomly, loose loot and levels, become extremely frustrated, and waste a lot of time.

Also I would say it is impossible to judge this game against other mmorpgs or their ratings systems. If you play the game just for graphics, sound, and even classes you are missing 90% of the game.
  • StraykoStrayko Member Posts: 56
    This is an okay review, but I'm going to have to agree with the poster above me.

I think the classes are very well balanced, whereas the Sorcerers have immense offensive power, the Knights have insane defensive power. People are claiming that Knights are severely underpowered, however, I do not think this is the case at all. It's very true that Knights do little damage, but they are one of the easiest vocations to level with and their amount of health and defensive power makes them a very hard target for monsters and other players.

When people choose a knight, they know they are choosing a vocation which does not hit a lot, but can take a lot of hits.

As for crafting, you can't really take this into account, because this is not part of the game and shouldn't automatically be part of a game.

About the hackers and botters, well this is one of the nice aspects of Tibia. It shows that items and characters are very much charished and worth everything to a player. This is no surprise because items are very scarce and you really are bummed if you lose items and you really get happy when you get items. In other games, this is definitely not the case. Ofcourse I do not like botting and hacking, it's something little can be done about in any game, it's just that it happens more often in Tibia because things are worth so much to the player.

• cdeepalcdeepal Member UncommonPosts: 148

Nice review, but the problem is the typical review system in MMORPG should not be applied towards Tibia, or every game for a matter of fact. Who needs sound and ultra ubber graphics if the game play is one of the best?

In my books, Tibia scores 9/10, as is one of the best games available.

Two points:

1. You get hacked only if you share your account with someone else or downloaded a keylogger. That can happen in any game not only in Tibia. I have played Tibia for 5 years and never got hacked because I don't share.

2. Crafting should not be even in the rating system. Because not every player wishes to craft. May be only 10% of the player base on any given game actually crafts.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

You gave the graphics 8/10...????????/

IMO, they are the worst any mmorpg has, possibly any game.

?

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Why shouldnt it be judged by the standards set by other mmos ?  Just because you happen to like it ?  Worst SET of reviews I have ever seen. I give your reviews the worst grade imaginable an A MINUS MINUS !!!

• DenearionDenearion Member Posts: 48

Think... 6.5 is more than a half and how many classes? 4
    OMG FREAKIN AWESOME!!! It should be around 3,4 (givin that much, cause there are more than 1)

Tibia has a rather unique skill system
    Very unique - right now i don' think u'll find many games that have pay2play system and erm... 7 skills???
    this 7 includes that usefull skills like
    fist fightin (when i started this game i trained it... when leaving newbie area i wasnt able to kill a troll (with an axe it takes 2-3 hits) cause everything stopped at his armour
    fishing let's get some fish - really interesting

There's no sound at all but I love that fact
    and so WHAT! it should be 0/10... u understand NO sound means NO points.
    it's one of the most unbelievable things in this game - no music, not at all. Think of it - UO has incredible music and even though i didn't like this game much (on priv shards) i came back severals time, when heard britain theme.
    But i don need that. Cipsoft should just give ppl a choice of having average quality sound or don have any!

and to the end, about houses - did you ever play ULTIMA ONLINE: MONDAINS LEGACY? Just take a look at screenshots from this game- you have houses, and moreover you can build them! if u hae enough money you can build castle, that is bigger than normal screen (this castle is in templates) or you can build your house from parts, there's even an award for the most interesting custom-made house.

So please, next time write Tibia imo, or write smth that is normal review.

• ShoysonyShoysony Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Denearion

Think... 6.5 is more than a half and how many classes? 4

OMG FREAKIN AWESOME!!! It should be around 3,4 (givin that much, cause there are more than 1)
    I know, it is awesome. Each class has a variety of different ways to play, knights can choose to be training knights, just hunting, blocking for people, etc. Sorcerers and druids can just use their wand/rod to hunt, use runes and wands, just make runes to sell, etc. And paladins can either train, use melee combat and magic, or use distance. We rock.

Tibia has a rather unique skill system

Very unique - right now i don' think u'll find many games that have pay2play system and erm... 7 skills???

this 7 includes that usefull skills like

fist fightin (when i started this game i trained it... when leaving newbie area i wasnt able to kill a troll (with an axe it takes 2-3 hits) cause everything stopped at his armour

fishing let's get some fish - really interesting
    Tibia is free to play.
    People can choose whether they want to use their fist or not, otherwise you can use sword weapons, club weapons, axe weapons or distance weapons. And do you have a problem with fishing? Its awesome, people can catch loads of fish and sell it for loads.

There's no sound at all but I love that fact

and so WHAT! it should be 0/10... u understand NO sound means NO points.

it's one of the most unbelievable things in this game - no music, not at all. Think of it - UO has incredible music and even though i didn't like this game much (on priv shards) i came back severals time, when heard britain theme.

But i don need that. Cipsoft should just give ppl a choice of having average quality sound or don have any!
    One thing I have to sadly agree with you.

and to the end, about houses - did you ever play ULTIMA ONLINE: MONDAINS LEGACY? Just take a look at screenshots from this game- you have houses, and moreover you can build them! if u hae enough money you can build castle, that is bigger than normal screen (this castle is in templates) or you can build your house from parts, there's even an award for the most interesting custom-made house.
    So please, next time write Tibia imo, or write smth that is normal review.

WHAT?! Who cares, Tibia has houses, and Tibia has hundreds of them, Tibia has guildhalls, more then a hundred of them! Gawd you  are

• DenearionDenearion Member Posts: 48

Shoysony, ok u're right... my opinion wasn't objective too.

Right Tibia is free 2 play with micro payments, right? My fault, but with classes - they arent awesome in any way. 4 is too few for mmo - when playin druid you are similar to any other druid at your lvl, same with knight. How many weapons d'u have? 3 + useless fists + distance - different swords have just higher at/def.

And about houses again...

who cares? I do. Bcs it is said, that this system is rather unique - and it is not.

Oh and 1 more thing

More over the monsters are smarter in Tibia than in any other MMO I have played.

So it seems to me, that u haven't play much. I'm not talkin bout ferumbas, bcs he was some time played by cipsoft ppl, but bout normal monsters. Give me examples of monsters in (after all) free tibia better than in wow or something like that.

• StraykoStrayko Member Posts: 56

The power of this game lies not within the classes, skills or whatever the hell might be standard in other MMORPG's.

The funny thing about this game is that it's different, the real strength of this game lies within the extremely powerful community system. You won't find out until you try, and graphics... I just can't seem to care about that, I look right through a game its graphics, I still love playing the old Metroids or other Nintendo classics.