Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to announce 3 new MMOs - Updated

DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

Sony Online has had it's share of ups and downs. Today, they plan to reveal the secret identity of 3 major SOE games currently in production. We're not really sure exactly what they plan to unleash on the world today, but the buzz around town is that it's going to be huge news for Sony. Hopefully Sony has learned from some huge mistakes in the recent past. They also plan to announce some new business strategies today. It could all end up being a marketing hype plan, but I have a feeling that something big is going to happen today.

Sony Online intends to unveil its plan to retake leadership in online gaming by unveiling three new games in development. More broadly, the new games represent an attempt to broaden the company in four major ways: diversifying its business model, expanding the demographic profile of its customer base, moving into the console market in addition to making games for PCs and increasing its presence in Asia…

STORY UPDATE - Source

A New York Times report confirmed today that Sony Online Entertainment is planning on releasing a free-to-play MMO aimed at the younger crowd.
imageLike other free-to-play MMOs, SOE’s Free Realms will implement microtransactions, advertising and an optional low-cost monthly subscription that will offer players more features.

Whereas SOE is known for games that focus on the core gamer, company president John Smedley suggested that free MMOs are going to be integral to a shift in business models at the firm.

For one, Free Realms is the first step in diversifying SOE’s revenue streams. Smedley said that nearly 100 percent of revenues at SOE come from subscriptions to games such as EverQuest, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Star Wars: Galaxies.

“In two years, we would like to see no more than 50 percent of our revenue coming from subscriptions, and five years from now we think less than 10 percent of our revenue will come from subscription sources,” Smedley said.

Such a business model would also help the company diversify SOE’s customer base, which, The New York Times says, is 85 percent male at an average of 32 years of age. “We want to get our average age lower, probably into the low 20s, and I’d really like to see the gender breakdown go to 50-50 or even slightly more women than men, to reflect real life.”

Free Realms is targeted at children, particularly girls.

The report said that SOE would be officially unveiling Free Realms today.

The free MMO market in the U.S. isn’t exactly crowded quite yet, but competition is increasing. NCsoft recently made a similar announcement that it would be entering the free MMO market with Dungeon Runners, Acclaim specializes solely in free MMOs and Jagex’s kid-friendly Runescape has over 1 million users who pay $5 per month to play, with millions more playing for free.

The Agency appears to be one

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Linky?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• MehjrianMehjrian Member Posts: 127
    Does it actually say MMO's specifically? I have no doubts they could make a good one player rpg.  Even though they ruined my experience years ago with SWG, I still hold faith that they could make a decent MMO again. Only time will tell with that though. Just curious on the matter of whether they are making three new MMO's or just three new games (which absolutely could mean MMO's).
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

http://news.filefront.com/sony-online-secrets-to-be-unveiled-today/

Thanks you, and remember kids, cite your sources.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Ahhh...so this explains why they never have time to discuss Vanguard.  They're to busy with other games.  ::smacks her forehead::  Should have known.   God am I a sucker for punishment of what.   
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

So far i have seen news about The Agency, but no others.  What are they then please if anyone knows by now? 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Wow, can't wait to see that.  3 more crappy mmo's to add to the list.  They would go ahead and join the crap game they already have, mxo, swg, vanguard...   Only good mmo SOE is having is EQ2.  I guess they will raise station access to 50$ per month now lol.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Ahh good ol SOE flamers but yet they will all purchase the new SOE merch!!!
  • DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    I have access to the SOE press site but nothing on there yet.

• odragonodragon Member Posts: 106

One is going to be the DC Comics MMO, right?
    The second being the Free Realms project.

What is the third?

• KelothosKelothos Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by odragon

One is going to be the DC Comics MMO, right?

The second being the Free Realms project.
    What is the third?
    I believe it is The Agency, but I am not sure if thay announced that already.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Should be intersting to see how this turns out for the current games SOE has. I would imagine if they don't cancel some of the older and less profitable ones those games wont be seeing any kind of updates or expansions. Just have to wait and see.

I have never heard of The Agency, what is that, sounds like a spy...oh wait, there was a leak about a spy mmo coming, I guess that is it.

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    updated story

• ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236
    It would be nice if they got away from MMO and made a great BOXED game Like Oblivion or Gothic 3 but we all know that will not happin, Soooo i say they going to make Sports games (chuckles)........ Sports fishing in NEWFOUNDLAND (CODFISHIN at its best) .. CHUCKLES.. emmm lemmmee see nother one could be . PING PONG da hard way, duel Canoe Paddles, weeeeeee swinnng SPLAT. hehehe.  gees anything BUT Hack N Slash.  ROFL..

Originally posted by ZAGAN
    It would be nice if they got away from MMO and made a great BOXED game Like Oblivion or Gothic 3 but we all know that will not happin, Soooo i say they going to make Sports games (chuckles)........ Sports fishing in NEWFOUNDLAND (CODFISHIN at its best) .. CHUCKLES.. emmm lemmmee see nother one could be . PING PONG da hard way, duel Canoe Paddles, weeeeeee swinnng SPLAT. hehehe.  gees anything BUT Hack N Slash.  ROFL..image

Are you talking about Sony Online Entertainment, Sony Pictures Games, Playstation, or Sony USA?

• ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236

ROFL Heck  no it would be  SOE Canada up north N stuff.... around frozen lake Island. Dang they only be one SOE ya knows.

it comes from the place where Mooses are Mooses  N  Beer is BEER... (chuckles).

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Once again Smedley is talking about marketing, revenue models and accounting.   If this guy would focus more on fun, entertainment and quality SOE would still be dominating the market IMHO. 

It sounds like they have given up on making games for adults by that announcement.  It really is a smart strategy considering all the bad blood they have in the industry to restart their fanbase.  Why spend millions and years trying to recapture a market that they have alienated a good portion of when they can just rebuild as new gamers enter the market.  It sounds just like the strategy adopted in star wars galaxies with the NGE. 
  • YakriYakri Member Posts: 30
    well i guess they've desided the only way to go now is quantity over quality, after all if you make enough MMOs one of em's bound to be good right?

Yeah heres hoping they've learned things from there mistakes, like not forceing games to release months to soon, stuff like that

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611
    Originally posted by Martie

LOL soe cant even manage one mmo, properly and you say they are going to announce 3 new ones.  How about they fix all the broken ones in their craptastic library that is station pass.

lol 3  new mmos..............lol...............lmao........hahahahahahahahahahaha

Only way they make money is by ripping people of on the station pass, along with their ebay site, allowing people to sell items, characters, accounts etc etc etc etc. Thats the only thing they are  good for, without that site all games in their station pass would be closed.  They spend more of their time solving Station exchange disputes than they do actually on the games they have lol.  Good old soe 3 new mmos to ruin, bring them all is what i can say.
    lol.
  • MosfetMosfet Member CommonPosts: 125

Well personally I dont care if its SOE, Blizzard, my uncle or frickin Jim Carrey that makes the game. If it's good, I'll play it.

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Mosfet

If it's good, I'll play it.
    But its SOE...chances of it being good are quite low.....

and no, I'm not an SOE hater, just point out their lack of dominance in the market.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

LOL Kylearn there just the industry leader if not stander by what all games are compared too. that is EQ the other might be UO. Are you new to gaming.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • OtizOtiz Member Posts: 15

I'm very happy that SOE is releasing more MMOs.  I really love the Station Exchange site.  I made a few thousand dollars on it.  I hope ONE of them is linked to the station exchange (that way I can quit my part-time job at the law firm).  It's funny that there are quite a few people that hate SOE.  I respect all of you, but... if you don't like the games then don't play them or whine about them- just move on to something that you DO like.

• Osprey22Osprey22 Member UncommonPosts: 42

A MMO for girls? That explains alot. They messed up Star Wars Galaxies, can't they at least leave us with one decent game.