Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favourite Music Genre

bailyesbailyes Member Posts: 188
Do this poll then give a reason why you chose that genre.

Bailyes

Comments

• bailyesbailyes Member Posts: 188
    I chose metal because there is so much skill needed to play.

You need years of practising guitar to get past those solos....etc

Bailyes

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089
    not again! 

Your poll should be...

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• PunkMonkPunkMonk Member Posts: 483

I listen to a lot of jazz.

Other music in my top three is

2) Classical

3) Jam Rock (Frank Zappa, Phish, etc)

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

I don't have a favorite genre, although there are some genres I dislike entirely.

I listen to a lot of metal, but I also listen to a lot of grunge, classical and industrial.

It depends entirely on my mood.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138
    Alternative, if I had to pick a single genre. However, my playlist is like the chimera of all playlists, it has pretty much everything except rap and country. I can't stand country, but I'm neutral on rap.
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Rock. Old Rock. Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen and such.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    Originally posted by bailyes

That's satire right? All metal is is learning how to sweep pick and play power chords, using lots of distortion, and you "shredding" is easy enough to do if you cared enough to learn how.

There's no rhythm involved at all.

• MeonMeon Member Posts: 993

Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues and Techno/Trance

• GoEzGoEz Member CommonPosts: 16
    From my MMO experience it seems that a lot of people like to listen to techno

But personally i chose metal.  And all its variants.
    Originally posted by Nierro

That's satire right? All metal is is learning how to sweep pick and play power chords, using lots of distortion, and you "shredding" is easy enough to do if you cared enough to learn how.

There's no rhythm involved at all. No rhythm??!??!!?!??!!?!?

Have you tried playing Metal on the guitar?

Bailyes

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Have you tried playing Metal on the guitar? All thats involved in playing metal is technique, once you learn that its just a matter of playing faster and faster. There is NO rhythm in metal. Every song has the same feel and "beat" to it, just like rap. Out of sheer boredom I have tried playing metal, god its boring, I tried listening to about 5 different examples of relativly new and old bands. They sounded EXACTLY the same with the exception of more or less screaming.

Give me an example of rhythm in metal, please tell me how it isn't just playing chords over distortion and editing out the bass, and playing around the drums.

• bribearbribear Member Posts: 9

TECHNOTECHNOTECHNO

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Better yet...

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231
    Jam Bands...

Grateful Dead, Phish, Ween, Ratdog, Phil Lesh & Friends, Dark Star Orchestra, moe.

Other than that, classic rock. Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, etc.

I can't stand emo or metal.

the official MMORPG.com deadhead

Originally posted by leshtricity

Jam Bands...

Grateful Dead, Phish, Ween, Ratdog, Phil Lesh & Friends, Dark Star Orchestra, moe.

Other than that, classic rock. Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, etc.

I can't stand emo or metal.
    Ah yes. Classic rock is great stuff. Have you listened to any of the following?:

Twisted Sister

Motley Crue

They are classic rock but also Metal. You will probably like them. Search them on Youtube or something

Bailyes

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Have you tried playing Metal on the guitar? All thats involved in playing metal is technique, once you learn that its just a matter of playing faster and faster. There is NO rhythm in metal. Every song has the same feel and "beat" to it, just like rap. Out of sheer boredom I have tried playing metal, god its boring, I tried listening to about 5 different examples of relativly new and old bands. They sounded EXACTLY the same with the exception of more or less screaming.

Give me an example of rhythm in metal, please tell me how it isn't just playing chords over distortion and editing out the bass, and playing around the drums.

Name those examples please. I'll probably tell you that isn't real metal. Listening to some good metal like Metallica, Tool, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth and so on.

Also, that more or less screaming part, shows you're actually viewing metal the stereotypic way, actually not really listening to it, even though most good Heavy Metal doesn't even have growling in it.

Also, one example could be Metallicas One. It's rhythm guitar is played in 2/4 and 3/4. The lead guitar is not chords, but usually something composed from a B minor Pentatonic scale(yeah, I know it's the easy scale, but in the hands a creative composer, it sounds great)

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Classical.... havnt been able to listen to much else the last few years... its just so amazing.

If Im not listening to it though its prolly Zappa or Pink Floyd... so classical or classic lol.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Originally posted by Jackcolt

Name those examples please. I'll probably tell you that isn't real metal. Listening to some good metal like Metallica, Tool, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth and so on.

Also, that more or less screaming part, shows you're actually viewing metal the stereotypic way, actually not really listening to it, even though most good Heavy Metal doesn't even have growling in it.

Also, one example could be Metallicas One. It's rhythm guitar is played in 2/4 and 3/4. The lead guitar is not chords, but usually something composed from a B minor Pentatonic scale(yeah, I know it's the easy scale, but in the hands a creative composer, it sounds great) Ah yes. Metallica's One is a great example. Such an awesome song. I got the video for it on DVD so I sometimes watch it and play along (to the easy bits because I'm a beginner at guitar lol)

What about The Unforgiven and The Unforgiven II then?

And I agree that not all metal is screaming....only a few songs on my playlist have screaming and I don't mind them.

Bailyes

Originally posted by Razorback

Classical.... havnt been able to listen to much else the last few years... its just so amazing.
    If Im not listening to it though its prolly Zappa or Pink Floyd... so classical or classic lol.

If you like classic rock like Pink Floyd and the like....you should listen to www.planetrock.com

It's a radio station in the UK dedicated to playing classic rock. You just missed out on the Pink Floyd month but I think you'd like the music they play.

Bailyes

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

There's no rhythm involved at all.No rhythm??!??!!?!??!!?!?

Have you tried playing Metal on the guitar?All thats involved in playing metal is technique, once you learn that its just a matter of playing faster and faster. There is NO rhythm in metal. Every song has the same feel and "beat" to it, just like rap. Out of sheer boredom I have tried playing metal, god its boring, I tried listening to about 5 different examples of relativly new and old bands. They sounded EXACTLY the same with the exception of more or less screaming.

Also, one example could be Metallicas One. It's rhythm guitar is played in 2/4 and 3/4. The lead guitar is not chords, but usually something composed from a B minor Pentatonic scale(yeah, I know it's the easy scale, but in the hands a creative composer, it sounds great)Ah yes. Metallica's One is a great example. Such an awesome song. I got the video for it on DVD so I sometimes watch it and play along (to the easy bits because I'm a beginner at guitar lol)

And I agree that not all metal is screaming....only a few songs on my playlist have screaming and I don't mind them.It's going to come down to a differing definition of Metal...from previous threads I know that Nierro has a very specific criteria for what he considers Metal.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    When I was a teenager I liked grunge rock.  Now I like to listen to the oldies lol.
    Originally posted by Draenor

There's no rhythm involved at all.No rhythm??!??!!?!??!!?!?

Have you tried playing Metal on the guitar?All thats involved in playing metal is technique, once you learn that its just a matter of playing faster and faster. There is NO rhythm in metal. Every song has the same feel and "beat" to it, just like rap. Out of sheer boredom I have tried playing metal, god its boring, I tried listening to about 5 different examples of relativly new and old bands. They sounded EXACTLY the same with the exception of more or less screaming.

Also, one example could be Metallicas One. It's rhythm guitar is played in 2/4 and 3/4. The lead guitar is not chords, but usually something composed from a B minor Pentatonic scale(yeah, I know it's the easy scale, but in the hands a creative composer, it sounds great)Ah yes. Metallica's One is a great example. Such an awesome song. I got the video for it on DVD so I sometimes watch it and play along (to the easy bits because I'm a beginner at guitar lol)

And I agree that not all metal is screaming....only a few songs on my playlist have screaming and I don't mind them.It's going to come down to a differing definition of Metal...from previous threads I know that Nierro has a very specific criteria for what he considers Metal.

Well if his definition of Metal is power chords, distortion and simple 4/4 beats, then I don't like metal. The thing, I love Metal, and what I just descriped isn't metal!

• GalupaGalupa Member Posts: 203

: ( Sweep picking sucks : ( It's hard. I Can't stand metal guitar solos, no emotion involved in most of them, just some guy playing as fast as he can, I like minimalist guitar solos better, Like Neil Young, that guy could make a single guitar note sound great.

I prefer music where you can tell that whoever made it is really passionate about what they are doing. Not just the lyrics but the music to, I just don't get a kick out of metal at all.Sure it takes skill and time to master it, but it's straight boring.

"The new age is upon us, yet the past refuses to rest in its shallow grave."

Originally posted by Galupa

: ( Sweep picking sucks : ( It's hard. I Can't stand metal guitar solos, no emotion involved in most of them, just some guy playing as fast as he can, I like minimalist guitar solos better, Like Neil Young, that guy could make a single guitar note sound great. I prefer music where you can tell that whoever made it is really passionate about what they are doing. Not just the lyrics but the music to, I just don't get a kick out of metal at all.Sure it takes skill and time to master it, but it's straight boring.

Well I like that you at least have a real honest opinion on why you don't like metal. Funny thing is, one of the things I really like about the metal is the passion. When you hear some skilled guitar player(say Kirk Hammett for example), he may not be the fastest(though he is pretty damn fast and his techniques are just spot on), but some of his solos are really heartfelt and passionate... you could try listening to master of puppets.

Originally posted by Galupa

: ( Sweep picking sucks : ( It's hard. I Can't stand metal guitar solos, no emotion involved in most of them, just some guy playing as fast as he can, I like minimalist guitar solos better, Like Neil Young, that guy could make a single guitar note sound great. I prefer music where you can tell that whoever made it is really passionate about what they are doing. Not just the lyrics but the music to, I just don't get a kick out of metal at all.Sure it takes skill and time to master it, but it's straight boring.

Well I like that you at least have a real honest opinion on why you don't like metal. Funny thing is, one of the things I really like about the metal is the passion. When you hear some skilled guitar player(say Kirk Hammett for example), he may not be the fastest(though he is pretty damn fast and his techniques are just spot on), but some of his solos are really heartfelt and passionate... you could try listening to master of puppets. Yeah. Kirk Hammett is really skilled bu definatley not the fastest....have you heard Paul Gilbert yet?

Listen to:

Racer X - Viking Kong

That's Paul Gilbert playing

There may not be passion there, but it is fast!

I'm glad someone has a good opinion why they don't like metal.

Bailyes