Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing Galaxies? Read this first.

13»

Comments

• CaswellCaswell Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

...Oh and as for Galaxies trying to copy Warcraft - how?

I don't think the NGE was an attempt to copy WoW.  They learned that copying WoW's gameplay mechanic wasn't going to work for SWG with the CU.

My guild drug me from the CU in May of '05 to move to WoW.  Honestly, and this is coming from someone who thought he could live with the CU, the first weeks of WoW were spent mumbling "oh, this is what SOE was trying to copy with the CU".

I've said it before in this thread, but it bears repeating - there's no reason not to try SWG.  I don't buy this idea that the sooner SWG dies the sooner we'll get another Star Wars MMORPG.  That ship has sailed.  The only warning I'd give to any prospective player is to not get attached to SWG the way a typical MMO player does, but instead to be ready to be completely shafted by SOE at any moment. 

• crlumpkincrlumpkin Member Posts: 52

'the code was buggy' - didnt i say that?!...It was broken and the dev team just couldnt work with it

Another vet who doesnt know what they are talking about. I suggest you read my original thread before posting again as it explains in a nut shell what happened. Oh and as for Galaxies trying to copy Warcraft - how?

Does warcraft have player cities - no

Does warcraft have a system to mix and match like expertise points - no

Does warcraft have lasers - no

or even space - no.
    And of course, you're speaking from PAST experience and not current.
    Does warcraft have a huge population for massive socializing where ever you go in game - Yes

Does Swg have a huge population for massive socializing where ever you go in game - No

Is warcraft a completely dead game except for a few hundred fanboys spread accross three servers - No

Is Swg a completely dead game except for a few hundred fanboys spread accross three servers - Yes

Get a life dude, and yes I do have a current subscription, its dead.
  • wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Recently come back after canceling sub when nge come out. as many ppl i was outraged that this in this called "enchancment". after this i was played eve, wow, some others, but none of this give me the real joy, swg pre cu and nge was newer ideal, it was bug riden etc, but the community and in in deapth playstyle revarded me it. the game hawe best crafting system on market, no lewel riden xping, all this gone, but. when i come back week ago i thought i see desertles planets and zombie towns. In chimaera is no so bad i must say, population is not high as pre nge but i cant call this desert, i found active guild, changed binding to that i hawe pre nge changed ui and i must say i enjoy it, in my opinion is much better than owerhyped wow. not all stuff i like for example stupid wowish item names, much things must still change in my opinion, some sort of decay to reanimate market, but i hope the new mod team will in time will change the game to be more star warsy than wow warsy.

• shermon15shermon15 Member Posts: 61

WoW might have a massive number of people, but we all know the majority of the players are not exactly winners.  I went to WoW during the last closed BETA and then back to SWG for CU.  Didnt mind it, but left again right as the NGE hit for WoW.  During that time in WoW, I met some good people, but WoW is no where near a socializing game as SWG is or ever was.  

You can argue ease of play and entertainment value and I will agree with you with respect to WoW, but community is the last thing WoW is good for.  I still havent found a game that has quite the same community.  LOTR is somewhat close, but doesnt have the sandbox to allow for a similar community to develop.

Triston Master Carbine/Master Swords (SWG Eclipse)
    Triston 29 Warden (EQ2 Permafrost)
    Weland 70 Hunter (WoW Hellscream)
    Suidan 36 Cleric (Vanguard Flamehammer)
    Suidan 50 Champion (LOTR Gladden)

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    Being the best seller doesnt make you the best.  Yet another vet who hasnt a clue.

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Being the best seller doesnt make you the best.  Yet another vet who hasnt a clue.
    You can be pretty rude with your sweeping generalisations, your  thread started well but you seem to be alienating potential new players as you post. I'd quit now while you're slightly behind.
  • Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by iamjmk

I will say this. It does seem better then when it lanuched. (NGE) Still the Legacy quests makes me want to jump out of a window. If they want me back full time and playing in its current state they need to make a LOT of quest chains and maybe even class specific quest lines because, I will say it again, Legacy sucks ass.
    I know they have been reworking the whole group exp thing too but they need to get on it. My annoyance with them (SOE) is the whole give us 6 months B.S. when they mean give us a biljillion months of your money and  then will get something done. I mean the whole mess is like the half assed approach to MMORPG's.
     Still saying all that there is fun to be had playing the game. If your thinking about playing it you should give it a shot. Doing the Legacy quest once is tolerable and then you can move on to the two expansion planets and have some fun. Space can be a blast and you can still meet  people playing the game and having fun, and at the end of the day what else do you want from a game?
    Have a great day all!
    This is nothing new to the mmorpg market.  Majority of the other companies do the exact same thing. 
    1. Mythic (DAoC) promises to fix things, but they end up usually making more bugs with the patch than the bugs that were fixed... or they promise fixes, then decide, at a later date, that an expansion is warranted over bug fixes.  However, I'm talking about Mythic before they were bought out by EA, so I don't know if it holds true today.
    2. Blizzard (WoW) takes a MASSIVE amount of time to put out patches... and, yet, they usually still have bugs attached to them.  This means that if you are really wanting what is in that patch, but really dislike the game, you would have to way sometimes up to 3 months for them to finish that patch.  This is in reference to the "biljillion months of your money" phrase.
    So, this crap is not unique to SOE.
  • DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    Buts its ok for veterans to come on here and vent with their rubbish? I say, if the cap fits, wear it. If you don't like the rude approach, I suggest be constructive - but overall, the truth hurts, hence their reactions.

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by crlumpkin

'the code was buggy' - didnt i say that?!...It was broken and the dev team just couldnt work with it

Another vet who doesnt know what they are talking about. I suggest you read my original thread before posting again as it explains in a nut shell what happened. Oh and as for Galaxies trying to copy Warcraft - how?

Does warcraft have player cities - no

Does warcraft have a system to mix and match like expertise points - no

Does warcraft have lasers - no

or even space - no.
    And of course, you're speaking from PAST experience and not current.
    Does warcraft have a huge population for massive socializing where ever you go in game - Yes

Does Swg have a huge population for massive socializing where ever you go in game - No

Is warcraft a completely dead game except for a few hundred fanboys spread accross three servers - No

Is Swg a completely dead game except for a few hundred fanboys spread accross three servers - Yes

Get a life dude, and yes I do have a current subscription, its dead. If it's soooooo dead, as you claim it is, then why in the heck are you playing it, or even posting about it?  You apparently need to get a clue, and take your hate-filled, useless, dribble and go post it on the vet forums.  You are not welcome here with your opinions.
  • milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Buts its ok for veterans to come on here and vent with their rubbish? I say, if the cap fits, wear it. If you don't like the rude approach, I suggest be constructive - but overall, the truth hurts, hence their reactions.

By all means if someone starts flaming you give them some grief back but don't start referring to all vets as idiots.

Remember it was vets that kept this game afloat after the NGE turned up with the "80%" numbers floated around at the start of 2006 by SOE

Please stop generalising, try taking a leaf out of Obraik's book, the guy is always courteous and respectful even if he completely disagrees with what the other person has to say. You're coming across as a little too easy to rile considering you're taking it upon yourself to encourage others back into the game which is commendable in itself but I think the board's flamers are going to eat you alive if you keep this up.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

Whether the opinion of the OP, DarthMaulUK, is valid on all or some of the points i am still not sure if i want to attempt SWG beyond any trial.  i have only brief experience with SWG of a couple of weeks pre-launch so it has been a drought of time since.  i will want to try a SWG trial simply to learn & decide for myself, but overall in the following posts since the original this DarkMaulUK seems pretentious when regarding any conflicting perspective.  i had to ask myself while reading this thread, "If i was to play SWG would i want to group with this player?"  i found myself imagining that the OP would be some high-strung control-freak leader of a guild sort of like some were during EQ's glorious(sarcasm) raiding to survive days.  i thought the original post was well constructed too showing some good insights into why he/she feels SWG is a good game, but using facts doesn't make a biased opinion a fact no more than it does anyone elses.  Unless this DarthMaulUK believes in the Rumsfeldian way of thought then it begins to make sense &/or is trying to use the Jedi mind-trick upon everyone.  If someone offers a conflicting point of view do not attack that someone, discuss their reasons & why they are faulty for the different point of view otherwise you still lack integrity & your side of the discussion lacks the merit you claim the others are lacking.  Yes i made no points pro or con about SWG, i haven't played it recently therefore according to DarthMaulUK any opinion i would have would be invalid anyways.  i only hope that since the OP's beginning post seemed credible then the following posts slipped quickly down a flamming spiral themselves that the DarthMaulUK might reconsider how he/she constructs rebuttals.  In the end i think both opinions want a fun game to play after all.     

• BigBlackWookBigBlackWook Member Posts: 133

I see no truth. I see your opinion. Which is wrong, btw.

It's pretty obvious now  that you created this thread to start a flame and make yourself seem important. So I'm done with this thread. I don't need to defend the disgruntled vets knowledge about what really went down with swg. The laughable subscription numbers prove my point much more eloquently than I ever could.

This discussion has been closed.