Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing Galaxies? Read this first.

Comments

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296
    Originally posted by azgarth

To the OP, or anyone that knows,
    Can you post a link, or explain how you returned the controls to pre-nge?
      Go to Options,  Keymap, Load a standard Keymap,  Select starwars galaxies Modern.   Hooray!  No tilde!  Just the old fashion right click to radial menu!  You can also un-target things by right clicking on nothing or right clicking on something else.    This will also change slighty how the toolbar works.  It will no longer auto trigger  wahtever is in the stupid big box.  In fact,  it doesnt use it at all. 

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by azgarth

To the OP, or anyone that knows,
    Can you post a link, or explain how you returned the controls to pre-nge?

There's a sticky link somewhere in this forum

here you go

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/swg/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=286199&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I followed it and it was ok but not perfect and tweaked a little further

The most important things to remember are to:

1.remove any mapping that has a single keybaord command and replace it with something you used to use pre-cu eg Ctrl D for datapad etc especially spacebar for "jump" and "Enter" for "start chat", make sure you unbind "/" too as that can cuase problems.

2.For the targetting tab, remove any actions for primary and secondary attack and leave them blank, select left-click for "set intended target" and make sure "actions can be fired from the toolbar" in the boxes at the bottom of the keymap window.This means you can click on another player or whatever without initiating combat etc.

You'll need to select 2 more keys of your choice, one to toggle between aim/auto-aim (which you seldom need to press once it's set) and one in a handy position for "repeat auto-attack". This means that if you double-click on a critter you'll start auto-attack automatically, but if you target something with tab and fire from the toolbar it means you have to press the repeat key to go into auto-attack which is a little annoying as it means it'd be back to pre-cu controls if this was the case (I use numpad zero since it's next to my directional keys).

3.select right-click for "summon radial menu"

4 Finally iin the boxes below turn of chase cam, select mouse-mode default and finally turn off modal chat.

My pc went through a phase of continually crashing when I last took the trial and had to reset about 12 times, hence I remember the way to do it. That's basically it, you can customize it as you go once you get the basic bits done.

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

While I think the Ops post is useful I think the broad assumption that Vets don't know anything about the current game is a mistake. SOE has handed out a few trial accounts to vets, many (imo) have tried the current game and they just don't like it. Why? Numerous reasons but mainly, it's not they old game.

It is also important to note the fact that these folks got screwed. It explains both their anger and warns new players that SOE could attempt the same in future development. Stating your opinion that you believe that SOE has learned a few things and the chances of a COMPLETE revamp are unlikely is valid.

The two most important things for a player to consider:

1. The existing dev team, who really does care about progressing the game. They are reading and implementing based on feedback in the forums. All MMO's revolve around a healthy relationship between the devs and it's community. This dev team, while not perfect is strong at communication and implementation.
    2. There is a free trial, make up you own mind. On one side of the fence you have angry vets that many simply want the old game or bust and then on the other side you have SWG players promoting the existing game to bring more players into the game. JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!

• MozinskiMozinski Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

I think the whole thread is moving off topic. The idea is to post a different view than the same over played record of veterans stating their facts about the game, that simply are not true.

The idea is to show new players and those considering coming back that things are NOT as bad as veterans make out - considering most last touched the game in 2005.

If you don't like the game - fine - but really the flaming regarding NGE has to stop. Replaying the same record becomes boring. The community uproar had their moment - I was even part of it - but I can approach things with an open mind and have. Yes alot of my stuff didnt work but times do change.

The developers just couldnt work with the old code so it had to change. I loved the skill tree system it was and probably still is, the best thing ever to hit MMO gaming, making Galaxies unique. My NGE review back in 2005 slated the changes but I am man enough to admit that things have moved on and the game is even different to NGE original.
    The facts speak for themselves the impact NGE had on the game with so many leaving and SOE admitted their mistakes. Should they roll back to pre-cu? No. Although I would love to see a more complex expertise system in place, but it won't happen as Galaxies has to appeal to all kinds of gamers - which it does.

As for my attack on veterans, i believe i have every right to, as again they attempt to hijack another thread without stating any facts. Something the original post outlines.
    The "veterans" aren't hijacking your thread. You gave your opinion on why you think the game is good now, giving some facts on the game that may or may not be true. Not a single person in this thread has argued with your facts, however, when you start saying that it is ignorance of these facts that the "veterans" are flaming about, you are waaaaay out of line. "Veterans" could care less about the current mechanics of the game....at least those who have no interest in returning. If you want to give new comers info on the current game, more power to you. But don't include commens on the "veteran" community if you don't want any responses from them. All you're doing is inviting the flames you claim to be so upset about.
  • MythorMythor Member Posts: 7
    Having played SWG from launch through till a couple of months after the NGE hit, then in various trial periods since, I would say to any newcomers who are considering playing - the OP is sugarcoating the state of the game. Heavily sugarcoating it.

The game as it stands is buggy and often confusing. As someone who has played before the NGE, certain elements in the current game stick out as being obvious remnants of how the game used to function.

The new introductory quest lines at the start of the game were a great idea and perhaps the only part of the whole NGE that was a clear improvement over the game when it launched. The new system is a lot more newb friendly than having players pick a starting world and dumping them on a planet with a fistful of credits, a cdef pistol and survival knife and not much else.

The problem is that once you get beyond those introductory quests, if you can even make it that far, you start running into the lack of directed content and wondering what to do next. And that's when you'll start noticing all the glitchy mobs and remnants and so on.

By all means pick up a Trial key and download it, but don't let the OP fool you. It doesn't even match most beta MMOs in terms of polish right now. In another 12-18 months maybe it'll be worth subscribing to again, over other games like WoW etc.

Now? Nope. This is not the MMO you're looking for, sorry.
  • zyguhzyguh Member Posts: 3
    The OTHER thing you seem to be forgetting is the fact that the Asshats at SOE sold an expansion right up to the day before they knew they were completely changing the entire game and that the expansion that they just sold me the day before was going to be completely worthless, not work, and a total waste of money. They knew they were making the changes for months, but instead of doing the right thing and just shelving the last expansion they tried to recoup their money in it by completely screwing over the customer base and selling it anyway. 

The KNEW it was a total waste of money, but they kept selling it right up to the day before the big change over.  For that, and that alone, each and every veteran should post as often as they can to discourage anyone from playing the game. The point is to punish them for their shady business practices.  We need to tell the truth about what a crappy COMPANY SOE is in order to drive down the subs to this game and hopefully Lucas will FINALLY pull the licensing rights and give it to someone else so they can build a good Star Wars game, and run it in a way that won't crap all over every single customer they have (3 times).  "The code was broken so they had to make changes"  What are retarded?  THEY WROTE THE CODE!!! Dumabss.  They wrote it, they broke it.   They didnt  just walk in one day and find this strange computer code sitting there, loaded it up and saw it was a game and decide to start selling it.  They wrote the code, they designed the code, it was their code.  So if it was broken code like you said thats one more reason to quit the game, and not a reason to give them a chance and try again.  If every time you went to the Dentist he pulled the wrong tooth how many times would you keep going back?  Seriously, even if he did say "Its not my fault, the x-ray machine is broken."  Its HIS x-ray machine, it IS his fault. Its THEIR CODE, same thing....

If you love Star Wars and want to play in the Star Wars Universe, cancel your subscription and start working WITH US instead of AGAINST US and drive those subscription numbers  down so low the license gets yanked and given to a good company. That way someone besides SOE can build an actuall fun Star Wars online game we can all play in and enjoy.  Its STAR WARS.  Everyone who owns a computer has heard of Star Wars.  Everyone who owns a computer and is under 40 grew up wanting to be IN star wars at some point. It SHOULD be the biggest game in the world.  The potential customer base for a GOOD Star Wars game should easily be in the tens of millions worldwide.  The fact the game isnt the biggest mmo in the world is really all anyone ever needs to know about how crappy it really is.  Star Wars Galaxies Online should have 3 to 4 times the subscriber base as WOW,  no other game ever, should be able to touch it.  Its not there because it sucks, and that IS SOE's fault.

As far as crappy and shady business practices, just look at the original Jedi thing. They shipped the game and sold it to all of us with the idea that we could unlock the Jedi class.  That was a total lie.  That game shipped without the ability to unlock Jedi.  I know 7 people who unlocked the Jedi before the big change over.  5 of them did NOTHING but log onto the game the day it was launched in Europe.  NOTHING AT ALL but log into the game and immediately get the force sensitive message thing show up.  AND over at SOE headquarters they were talking about the "big coincidence" of how right as the new players in europe were logging in for the first time the first American players were unlocking their Jedi slots and wasnt it neat that the new European players would see the system wide messages about it, blah, blah, blah.

They didnt put the ability to unlock the Jedi slot into the game until the European launch day, as a marketing ploy, and we should form a class action suit against them and sue the hell out of them for selling us a game based on the lie that we could have unlocked the Jedi slot.  They sold a lie, and they shouldnt be in business anymore, and thats one of the other reasons we all hate them.

BY THE WAY, Im one of those veterans that has come back, twice. Both times the game sucked.  It STILL sucked as of 3:17 pm on June 2nd of 2007 which is when I finally logged out again after confirming what a crappy game this is.  So, this is written not from my knowledge from a long time ago, but my knowledge of the game from four days agao.  It IS A CRAPPY GAME!!!!  Its hard to navigate and move around, the keybindings are stupid and not intuitive in anyway, and the same for the targeting system in combat.  And its not okay to tell someone to just rebind the keys to the way they were in the old game when your point is that its a great game for new players.  If its a great new game then saying rebind the keys the old way just proves the point the old game was better.  The interface, controls, and combat system are clunky, clumsy, and counterintuitve.  They are hard to figure out, and in no way intuitive . 

Not even thinking about the old game versus this new piece of crap I would honestly rather someone bring back Legends Of Kesmai because that would be more fun than Star Wars Galaxies Online today.  The quest system is confusing, as is the advancement system.  This game seems like someone took a game and just put it on top of an older game instead of building one from the ground up.  Like if Blizzard had taken their classes and combat system and instead of building their own game they just dumped it into Everquest.  It would be hard to control, hard to work out, and basically be frustrating and no fun. 

And thats exactly what Star Wars Galaxies did.....instead of building a brand new game from the ground up when they made the big NGE switch, they dumped a bunch of nightelf hunters on the streets of Freeport.  Its a BAD game, run by an even worse company.

At least it was 4 days ago.....
  • DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Why are the 'Veterans' still mad?

Decent post, but as with most statements in regards to Veterans, that question was glossed over.

Please do provide the list of broken promises and mismanagement in addition to the NGE; for example:

- Combat Revamp > Combat Balance > Combat Upgrade (in that order)

- The Coordinator Summit

- The Announcement of the 1.5 year Revamp of the Galactic Civil War

- The Smuggler Revamp

- Poor Customer Service (ie: "Your Jedi has a visibility problem?  Check your video card drivers.")

- Poor Change Management Practices

- Accidental (non-intentional) nerfing of equipment without providing compensation

- The Hologrind Fest

- The Great Wookie Rebellion/Protest

- Mismanagement of Corporate Resources and setting Priorities

- Management lying/deceiving to the customers

- etc

Sure most of these are way in the past, but the NGE is not to be blamed entirely.

And people do not take well, when having been deceived with a time and money investment.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• BigBlackWookBigBlackWook Member Posts: 133
    It IS A CRAPPY GAME!!!! 

I think we just found a new tagline.

Star Wars Galaxies: It is a Crappy Game!!!!!

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

This thread is aimed at you. Some one who doesnt know what they are talking about. Now go away

such a shame that you manage to undermine the quality of you own post with such a purile/childish response to someones opinion.

The original post was informative and is nudging me closer to trying the game again.

• mattstmattst Member Posts: 28
    It's been a long time since I have even looked at this game, the CU was what killed it for me. However, after reading this post I am gonna try the 14 day trial and give it a go.

Why is simple, the game was my first love and will always be so. If it's got a lot better, then who knows I might stay around. But I wont get my hopes up.

The one thing that is stopping me right now is that fact of giving SOE any of my cash again pains me. The way we, the customers were treated back then was to say the least down right disgraceful. And that was even before the NGE.

To me, all the vets who do make the posts about how bad things were, have every right to. And even to this day you can still see how much it still hurts the vets, like me who put so much into SWG and to see it all go to waste.
  • iamjmkiamjmk Member Posts: 51

I will say this. It does seem better then when it lanuched. (NGE) Still the Legacy quests makes me want to jump out of a window. If they want me back full time and playing in its current state they need to make a LOT of quest chains and maybe even class specific quest lines because, I will say it again, Legacy sucks ass.

I know they have been reworking the whole group exp thing too but they need to get on it. My annoyance with them (SOE) is the whole give us 6 months B.S. when they mean give us a biljillion months of your money and  then will get something done. I mean the whole mess is like the half assed approach to MMORPG's.

Still saying all that there is fun to be had playing the game. If your thinking about playing it you should give it a shot. Doing the Legacy quest once is tolerable and then you can move on to the two expansion planets and have some fun. Space can be a blast and you can still meet  people playing the game and having fun, and at the end of the day what else do you want from a game?

Have a great day all!

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by mattst
    It's been a long time since I have even looked at this game, the CU was what killed it for me. However, after reading this post I am gonna try the 14 day trial and give it a go. Why is simple, the game was my first love and will always be so. If it's got a lot better, then who knows I might stay around. But I wont get my hopes up.The one thing that is stopping me right now is that fact of giving SOE any of my cash again pains me. The way we, the customers were treated back then was to say the least down right disgraceful. And that was even before the NGE. To me, all the vets who do make the posts about how bad things were, have every right to. And even to this day you can still see how much it still hurts the vets, like me who put so much into SWG and to see it all go to waste.

One word, don't. Sorry, you have every right to be angry and NOT want to give SOE any time or money. The game, as you know, is not the old game you loved and unless you can erase that from your mind you would waste your time trying it. If you look at all the other MMO's on the market and those coming down the road why would you want to reopen an old wound?

I know, it seems strange that a non-Vet SWG player would want to actually talk someone out of playing this game. I just think that Vets who are angry in any way or still have the love for the old game in their hearts and minds should not bother playing. If your able to let go of the old game and forgive SOE, that's great and welcome, you would be a better person than I. If any company pulled the stunts these guys have pulled in the past on me I would walk and NEVER turn back.

So, please consider before getting anywhere near the game.

• mattstmattst Member Posts: 28
    It will just be interesting to see how the SWG is, a bit like meeting up with an old ex to catch up.  I doubt  I will still be around after the 14 days and still to this day, none of my cash has gone on any SOE products.
  • jay8378jay8378 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I have been playing since right after the CU. I was very pissed at the nge and the stupidity of the game afterwards. but i kept subscribing in hopes it would comeback i knew they just wouldn't let it die. Although i left for for wow for a bit I got bored there easily. Well a little over a year has passed and no pre-nge but the game is heading in the right direction. with the beastmaster tree it seems that our sandbox might be coming back.

the beast master profession is not for the dumb either. there is major complexity involved. i haven't delved into it yet but ive been hearing about it and it sounds huge.

if the devs keep things like this coming like they said they are this game might just kick ass again.
  • Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Dekron

I refer you to my original post of 'veterans' not knowing what they are talking about. This is my opinion yes but it also a FACT based on the actual fact i have been playing the game recently, where most veterans have not.

I am one of the veterans who you claim "they do not know what they are talking about". I was in SWG at launch and loved it. The fact is, and please note this statement, SWG is now a completely different game than was initially launched. That is why so many of us vets hate what it is now.  I reinstalled back in March and found it to be as horrid as I left it post-CU.

You may enjoy it yourself, but please do not attack others for not. It just is not simply the same game. Then tell that to the NGE-hating vets.  They do just as much, if not more, flaming of posters who actually enjoy NGE.

Try reading my original post. Veterans claim they know all the facts and figures and they don't. Its that simple. Yes the game has changed but it has also improved since 2005. If so called veterans made constructive debates and comments, that would end alot of flaming but quite simply they don't.

You say the game is horrid but you don't really expand on this. It has changed since NGE first hit.
    The funny thing is, I have seen many NGE-hating vets that post that they actually installed the NGE trial.  They play for like 5 - 15 min, see their previous characters are "screwed up", thus thinking they are "useless", and immediately leave.  The pro-NGE'rs have told them to try a totally new character, but the NGE-haters decide to ignore us.  Thus, they don't actually experience the game at all.  Yet, they go on their forums (sometimes here as well) and whine about "how horrible NGE is" and then remember the pre-CU.  Then they complain about SOE not doing classic servers or completely rollback to pre-CU.  Yeah, they come up with all that in the very little time they actually try the game.  That's why I've been posting that their opinions have devolved to irrational and hate-filled.
    Originally posted by BigBlackWook

Originally posted by ThalosVipav

I refer you to my original post of 'veterans' not knowing what they are talking about. This is my opinion yes but it also a FACT based on the actual fact i have been playing the game recently, where most veterans have not.

I am one of the veterans who you claim "they do not know what they are talking about". I was in SWG at launch and loved it. The fact is, and please note this statement, SWG is now a completely different game than was initially launched. That is why so many of us vets hate what it is now.  I reinstalled back in March and found it to be as horrid as I left it post-CU.

You may enjoy it yourself, but please do not attack others for not. It just is not simply the same game.

/QFT

An interesting thread. The original post is rather well worded and somewhat informative (if biased) but as soon as the 'vets' chime in the OP starts attacking them.

I see these threads daily. "it's not so bad anymore, come back and try it". What a load of malarky. SWG at launch boasted an innovative and robust skill base progression system that allowed the player to extensively tailor his or her toon to their style of play. A progression system that was unprecedented in the mmo genre in 2003 and if it is rivaled by any current system, I have not experienced it. Now it is a rather lackluster class based wow clone.

They removed open ended dynamic pvp and replaced it with arena combat in order to cater to the 'casual gamer', a person unwilling to invest time and effort into learning how to pvp. What fun we used to have with massive pick up battles that could take place anywhere or anytime. The challenge that existed in grinding out faction under the nose of the tef gank squads. The fun of partaking in a one of those very squads. Base raids used to be an enormous undertaking, requiring multiple groups of 20 persons working together to accomplish a meritous goal. No they don't exist. Each fside now drops opposing bases just to blow them up for the gcw points, no pvp required.

The OP claims all his stuff was still there when he logged back in this year. How much of it still worked? I spent endless hours grinding out credits and reasources to develop some of the best buff packs, stims, weapons and armor in the game. Only to have the CU come along and render worthless 90% of my gear. An analogy could be someone who collects model trains for years, designs an elaborate setup only to have a representative of the model train company come along with a sledgehammer and smash it to pieces.

What really stuck it in and broke it off was the jedi situation. Obviously some action needed to be taken, but giving everyone a jedi? Unlocking my jedi was extremley difficult and time consuming. I chased that carrot on a stick for almost two years, grinding 17 holocrons, only to have to complete the village to unlock. And then another three months finishing a template, dodging hordes of bounty hunters all the while, only to see every kid with a store box log in at the NGE and get handed a lightsabre.

No sir, we know EXACTLY what we are talking about. And the more they try to make it seem like it was, the more they'll remind us of what was taken away.

<points to the vets refugee forum>  This is where you belong, not here.  Massive griping about this game belongs over there, as per the rules.

You say the game is horrid but you don't really expand on this. 

It is horrid based on my tastes of games. I don't want to list what I do not like because then others will feel inclined to attack. But I will offer in general, for the most part, why I began to dislike SWG (short summary).

At launch I became a Master Creature Handler with Rancors.

After CH Nerf I became a Master BH.

After BH Nerf, I became a Master Swordsman.

Then, all the nerfs, the CU, and the NGE completely killed it for me.

I will put it as easily as I can. I loved Asheron's Call. It was a great game. I hated Asheron's Call 2. It was completely different and offered nothing the first did other than the same races and somewhat of the same landmass.

pre-CU and pre-NGE was SWG, post-CU and post-NGE are SWG2.

They are simply two different games. You would have hated SWG if you love SWG2.

Now, am I discouraging people to try SWG: NGE? Nope. If they like it, they like it. But do not expect what was the original plan for the game. To me, it sounds like you are lying with the underlined statement.  You gripe about the previous game, yet provide no positives, and expect that you are "not trying to discourage others from trying NGE."  Talk about tyring to spin a lie... which is what the NGE-hating vets seem good at.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Vato26

You may enjoy it yourself, but please do not attack others for not. It just is not simply the same game.

/QFT

An interesting thread. The original post is rather well worded and somewhat informative (if biased) but as soon as the 'vets' chime in the OP starts attacking them.

I see these threads daily. "it's not so bad anymore, come back and try it". What a load of malarky. SWG at launch boasted an innovative and robust skill base progression system that allowed the player to extensively tailor his or her toon to their style of play. A progression system that was unprecedented in the mmo genre in 2003 and if it is rivaled by any current system, I have not experienced it. Now it is a rather lackluster class based wow clone.

They removed open ended dynamic pvp and replaced it with arena combat in order to cater to the 'casual gamer', a person unwilling to invest time and effort into learning how to pvp. What fun we used to have with massive pick up battles that could take place anywhere or anytime. The challenge that existed in grinding out faction under the nose of the tef gank squads. The fun of partaking in a one of those very squads. Base raids used to be an enormous undertaking, requiring multiple groups of 20 persons working together to accomplish a meritous goal. No they don't exist. Each fside now drops opposing bases just to blow them up for the gcw points, no pvp required.

The OP claims all his stuff was still there when he logged back in this year. How much of it still worked? I spent endless hours grinding out credits and reasources to develop some of the best buff packs, stims, weapons and armor in the game. Only to have the CU come along and render worthless 90% of my gear. An analogy could be someone who collects model trains for years, designs an elaborate setup only to have a representative of the model train company come along with a sledgehammer and smash it to pieces.

What really stuck it in and broke it off was the jedi situation. Obviously some action needed to be taken, but giving everyone a jedi? Unlocking my jedi was extremley difficult and time consuming. I chased that carrot on a stick for almost two years, grinding 17 holocrons, only to have to complete the village to unlock. And then another three months finishing a template, dodging hordes of bounty hunters all the while, only to see every kid with a store box log in at the NGE and get handed a lightsabre.

No sir, we know EXACTLY what we are talking about. And the more they try to make it seem like it was, the more they'll remind us of what was taken away.

<points to the vets refugee forum>  This is where you belong, not here.  Massive griping about this game belongs over there, as per the rules.

SWG Current

A place to talk about the game as it is today, for gamers who currently play or are interested in trying it out. *Note: RoC will be STRICTLY enforced. Absolutely no trolling, flaming or the like will be tolerated.

____________________________________________________________________________

Looks like someone needs a reminder what this board is for......Its amazing who is posting what here.  Clearly objectivity in regards to this post is lost.

The purpose of this thread is for the current players / interested players to talk about the current game, not for the vets to assault their opinions and comments. The past is the past and belongs in the veterens refuge.

• dpdilldpdill Member Posts: 26
    Wonderful post.  What server are you on and what guild are you in?  Sounds like you guys are mature and level headed and wanting to have a great time.

--Bird
  • milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Vato26

/QFT

SWG Current

A place to talk about the game as it is today, for gamers who currently play or are interested in trying it out. *Note: RoC will be STRICTLY enforced. Absolutely no trolling, flaming or the like will be tolerated.

Looks like someone needs a reminder what this board is for......Its amazing who is posting what here.  Clearly objectivity in regards to this post is lost.

The purpose of this thread is for the current players / interested players to talk about the current game, not for the vets to assault their opinions and comments. The past is the past and belongs in the veterens refuge.

I'm currently playing and a vet, albeit on a trial. My opinion is no less valid than anyone else's and to express it is well within the guidelines whether I like NGE or not.

I'll admit the rules concerning current fans of the NGE attacking vets is a little more strict:

A place for disgruntled former and current SWG players to talk about the game that was and the game that now is, as well as for newcomers who are curious about the issues surrounding the changes that this game has undergone. *Note, MMORPG.com RoC will still be enforced.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

I think the whole thread is moving off topic. The idea is to post a different view than the same over played record of veterans stating their facts about the game, that simply are not true.

The idea is to show new players and those considering coming back that things are NOT as bad as veterans make out - considering most last touched the game in 2005.

If you don't like the game - fine - but really the flaming regarding NGE has to stop. Replaying the same record becomes boring. The community uproar had their moment - I was even part of it - but I can approach things with an open mind and have. Yes alot of my stuff didnt work but times do change.

The developers just couldnt work with the old code so it had to change. I loved the skill tree system it was and probably still is, the best thing ever to hit MMO gaming, making Galaxies unique. My NGE review back in 2005 slated the changes but I am man enough to admit that things have moved on and the game is even different to NGE original.
    The facts speak for themselves the impact NGE had on the game with so many leaving and SOE admitted their mistakes. Should they roll back to pre-cu? No. Although I would love to see a more complex expertise system in place, but it won't happen as Galaxies has to appeal to all kinds of gamers - which it does.

As for my attack on veterans, i believe i have every right to, as again they attempt to hijack another thread without stating any facts. Something the original post outlines.

dude please, the code was buggy, but the reason the entire game changed was not with old code. BUT!...because they wanted to compete with WoW with subscription numbers, and the only way to do that, was to mirror the gameplay, mechanics and core game to what WoW was. if you look at the game, it mirrors alot of what WoW was. gameplay, leveling, skill tree for each class, down to 9 classes, although the hybrid 3rd/1sst person FPS crap they its nothing more than a random variable hit based on your skills and the weapons hit probability.Not to mention the control scheme for shooting and running is total crap. like chimps coked up on speed and viagra

I can go on for ages. do you consider it a coincidence? I dont i consider it exploitive business practices. flame me if you wish sweetpea, but nothing is goign to change the fact that this game is a shell of its former self.

IN THE END A TURD IS STILL A TURD NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TRY TO PRETTY IT UP.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

'the code was buggy' - didnt i say that?!...It was broken and the dev team just couldnt work with it

Another vet who doesnt know what they are talking about. I suggest you read my original thread before posting again as it explains in a nut shell what happened. Oh and as for Galaxies trying to copy Warcraft - how?

Does warcraft have player cities - no

Does warcraft have a system to mix and match like expertise points - no

Does warcraft have lasers - no

or even space - no.

And of course, you're speaking from PAST experience and not current.

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

I want to give the OP a huge thumbs up for this thread! As someone who has never played SWG, I often refer to sites like these to see weather a game is worth my precious time. All I ever read about this game are Vets flaming it or flaming others for playing it. Even though I didn't even know what NGE meant until this thread (thanks for clearing that up too!), It kind of came off like SWG was Horizon part 2.

From talking about how nobody plays the game, to how SOE has been so cruel to it's subscribers, I didn't even want to waste my time with the 14 day free trial, if this was just another Horizon disaster. After reading the OP, it doesn't seem like this is another Horizon disaster at all, and may actually be worth my time!

I think I'll give the free trial a shot and go from there! Thanks again!

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by milton1970

Originally posted by Torak 
    SWG Current

I'm currently playing and a vet, albeit on a trial. My opinion is no less valid than anyone else's and to express it is well within the guidelines whether I like NGE or not.

I'll admit the rules concerning current fans of the NGE attacking vets is a little more strict:

A place for disgruntled former and current SWG players to talk about the game that was and the game that now is, as well as for newcomers who are curious about the issues surrounding the changes that this game has undergone. *Note, MMORPG.com RoC will still be enforced.

I was not specifically referring to you but the whole clump of post had gotten derailed, especially the fact that a mod of all people jumping in when he should be moderating not participating. Of all people staff members should know the rules of their own forums.

This discussion has been closed.