Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for surviving a .5 run

fgauerfgauer Member Posts: 111

Hi,

I want to start running a mining delivery route where one of the jumps is through a single .5 solar system. I want to do this using my industrial ship - which essentially is a big boat with heavy armor and no offense worth spit...

...any advice for surviving this? I'm intending on being in the .5 sector long enough just to hit warp and get the heck outa there.

Is there something I can equip to minimize my risk? (i.e. prevent warp scrambling, webbing, or anything else nasty that may be waiting for me)? Or is this simply just a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

In EVE a  .5 system is still "protected" by Concord.    Any attack on you will bring a responce.  (Albeit slower than a .6 or higher system.

If you stay in a .5 and above system your main worry is a suicide ganker.  That can happen anywhere is "safe" space.

One thing to remember the only place you are 100% safe in EVE is in the station.

• fgauerfgauer Member Posts: 111

ah - thanks kb. I think if I just run fast through it - i should be okay.

Any suggestions on how to counter a warp scrambler though?

Thanks!

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358
    0.5 is highsec so you don't really have to worry about player pirates. Concord would waste them quickly.  Also, NPC pirates in 0.5 are usually not anywhere near the gates. So I think you can just fly through on autopilot

A possible exception is if you carry VERY expensive freight. In such cases, player pirates have sacrificed ships before in order to get at the loot.  As a rule of thumb, I'd say you have to worry if you carry stuff for more than 100 million ISK.
  • BirathenBirathen Member Posts: 48
    Have to agree. Traveling through 0.5 space should not be a problem as long as you keep an eye on local for any heads up. I've had friends who thrived on High sec piracy and they say the Cargo scan(or whatever they use to check your holdings with) is their best friend. And they dont even need expensive ships to do it. Most haulers are very unprotected, so a cheap frig or destroyer would do. They kill your ship, concord kills them and their friends staying back in their haulers swoops in and carrions your phat lewt(and if unlucky, your corpse)
  • JTJT Member Posts: 401

Not sure how long you've been playing, but you should be either setting up bookmarks from gate to gate or buy them. There are always BM's for sale. There are BM's that will warp you right onto the gate. Done properly, you can jump around in low sec areas with little trouble unless your just slow jumping. :)

• BirathenBirathen Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by JT

Not sure how long you've been playing, but you should be either setting up bookmarks from gate to gate or buy them. There are always BM's for sale. There are BM's that will warp you right onto the gate. Done properly, you can jump around in low sec areas with little trouble unless your just slow jumping. :)
    Actually they implemented "Warp to 0" so the BM's are not needed anymore. Its whats on the other side of the gate that is the problem :P
  • McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I doubt anyone would suicide a hauler with ore, even a fully expanded itty 5 full of arknor would not be worth it. If it where full of already refined minerals there is a possibility but still small.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

[quote][i]Originally posted by Birathen[/i] [b][quote]Originally posted by JT Not sure how long you've been playing, but you should be either setting up bookmarks from gate to gate or buy them. There are always BM's for sale. There are BM's that will warp you right onto the gate. Done properly, you can jump around in low sec areas with little trouble unless your just slow jumping. :) [/quote] Actually they implemented "Warp to 0" so the BM's are not needed anymore. Its whats on the other side of the gate that is the problem :P[/b][/quote]

That's cool.  I meant to post that I haven't played in a while so things could have changed.  Thanks for the correction.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

Well i thought id give this question a go but bear in mind ive only been playing eve for 4 months.

If i had a freighter and i needed to travel through a 0.5 system i would first of all if i had time and an expensive cargo, send an alt through there in a shuttle to see who is there and where. If it looked clear id send my freighter through and use the warp to 0 option i would only be valnerable while alligning to the 'Exit' gate. Thats how i would do it.

Alslo just before i started the journey id use the map to survey the route to see how many ships were killed along it and whether pod kills were made if there were any suspitious ones id adjust the sensativity bar so that id avoid such systems and opt to stay in safer system. Longer route but definatly safer.

• F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60

being that I live in .5 space as long as you stay away from autopilot and take full adavantage of the "warp to 0" option you honestly should be fine.

When doing hauling runs to places even as low as .3 I right click in open space and scroll down to stargates and then to the stargate on my jump list. I use this opton because it is honestly faster then useing either the overview or panning the camera.

Honestly autopilot is your worst enemy, even more so then the player pirates. If at all posible have a friend along or if you have the RL resources have a second account and have that as your wingman ( this is something I do).

I hope this helps.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Oh give me a break, you are not going to gank a hauler in high sec with a frigate or destroyer, unless the transport player is a complete idiot.

As long as they have some resists on the ship Concord will obliterate said frigate or destroyer quickly.

Get transport system skills and run one of them, even a loan BS will have a hard time killing one of them.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by JT

The game has changed significantly since you left.  The need for gate to gate bookmarks was removed months ago.  :)

Matter of fact... you might want to give it a go if you didn't leave on bad terms.... the game is much better than it was back then.

As to the OP:

If you aren't going into 0.4 or lower space then you have nothing to worry about unless you're hauling cargo worth hundreds of millions of isk.  People aren't going to go after a cargo worth only 1 or 200 million because 75% of it will go kerblooie when the ship gets destroyed.  And they'll lose their ships in the process.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Taram

Originally posted by JT

The game has changed significantly since you left.  The need for gate to gate bookmarks was removed months ago.  :)

Matter of fact... you might want to give it a go if you didn't leave on bad terms.... the game is much better than it was back then.

As to the OP:

If you aren't going into 0.4 or lower space then you have nothing to worry about unless you're hauling cargo worth hundreds of millions of isk.  People aren't going to go after a cargo worth only 1 or 200 million because 75% of it will go kerblooie when the ship gets destroyed.  And they'll lose their ships in the process.

Yeah... Birathen corrected me. :)  Last time I played, I bought like 75+ BM's.  Most being gate to gate,but not all.  Some were to asteroid fields not shown on the main map. :)  I'm sure at some point I'll be back.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404
    You can counter a warp scrambler with a warp core stablizer.  Not sure if they can stack by adding more.  I have added more but I'm not not sure if it is nessassary.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic