Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying isk for real money. Is it moral?

2»

Comments

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by Cecar

Its ok.. Because if you have a lot of money you probably have less time for the game because you are working so hard..

haha, good point.  Not always the case though...

IMO, it is wrong and devalues the economy of all MMOs.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Stellos

Its ok.. Because if you have a lot of money you probably have less time for the game because you are working so hard..

haha, good point.  Not always the case though...

IMO, it is wrong and devalues the economy of all MMOs.

BS

Doesn't devalue the economy in EVE at all.  Players still have to earn the isk.  And, frankly, you can make 150 million isk in like 6-8 hours of ratting in the right areas.  (which is roughly what a GTC goes for).  Or 10 hours of mining in 0.0.

So sorry... selling GTCs in no way is even a BLIP on the EVE economy... Puh-lease

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I have a question. Does anyone see game cards sold either for a slight discount, or by any third party vendors? (for real money)

If the answer is yes... then isk farmers can be using the system to cash out.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by Superman0X

I have a question. Does anyone see game cards sold either for a slight discount, or by any third party vendors? (for real money)
    If the answer is yes... then isk farmers can be using the system to cash out.
    The answer is no aparently
  • montinmontin Member Posts: 218

I do sort of agree with this. If you have a job and hence spare money to spend buying isk then your going to have less time to play. Hence the ability to buy isk allows you to play on a level field with the people that dont have a job and who maybe play 12+ hours a day. Also in this case it helps to stop gold farming bot / macros.
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by montin

Its ok.. Because if you have a lot of money you probably have less time for the game because you are working so hard.. image
    I do sort of agree with this. If you have a job and hence spare money to spend buying isk then your going to have less time to play. Hence the ability to buy isk allows you to play on a level field with the people that dont have a job and who maybe play 12+ hours a day. Also in this case it helps to stop gold farming bot / macros.

LoL you can say this for any other MMOGs then, so your point is, its completely ok to spend RL money in exchange for in game funds. You know what? i would prefer to buy ISK from a Chinese guy, who probably send some money to his parents, so they have some food.

• Numa999Numa999 Member Posts: 62
    It's awesome, I highly recommend it when you meet new people.
  • JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by montin

LoL you can say this for any other MMOGs then, so your point is, its completely ok to spend RL money in exchange for in game funds. You know what? i would prefer to buy ISK from a Chinese guy, who probably send some money to his parents, so they have some food.

LoL its more likely that chinese guy is a triad or something lol
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Sure and every Italian coming from sizilia and works for Al Capone in Chicago :p.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I think every MMO could benefit from this system.

More customers, because people with lots of time and less money can exchange their ingame time for someone elses and thus continue to play.

On the other side of the coin people with opposite, less time more money, will enjoy the game at the same level, or close to it by exchanging their RL time for ingame time, more customers again.

Admittedly people with burdened economies AND time contraints gets the shaft, in a manner of speaking.

But it rules out the third market quite effectively, if the ISK cant really be turned into actual dollars, but actual dollars can be turned into ISK then the "farmers" have no market.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Umbrood
    I think every MMO could benefit from this system.

Especially with games that are very investment heavy, like miniatures games and TCG, it can be seen that it's not very good if someone has unproportionally higher resources than other players. With TCG I knew some people who simply could not (or wanted not) afford all the fancy stuff, and they got frustrated by being beat over and over again. The more a game promotes RL cash investement the more intense the "my peepee is longer than yours" discussions - something I am honestly tired of.

A game is a game. It is an enclosed and (more or less) balanced environment where people should be able to make use of the same (amount of) resources. Trading RL cash for in game goods destroys that balance and influences things from outside the game. Imagine a level one Paladin in a D&D campaign showing up in a Holy Avenger, a +5 Plate and an assortement of other magical enhancement, stating that it's ok, since he payed the Gamemaster $300 for the stuff. Absolutely the same applies to computer based games - they should work by the same "enclosed" world rules, without outside interference.

So all in all: Imo, No RL cash for in game items. Or vice versa.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• Moon-DaddyMoon-Daddy Member UncommonPosts: 101
    *deleted my text*

Making so much noise you dont know when to listen.

• ImLostImLost Member Posts: 19
    It would be nice if it did not happen, but how are they going to stop it ?