Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horror MMO?

Oh I can dream, and dream I shall!!!!!!

-----------

but seriously, why aren't there any horror MMO's out there?

-
Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

Comments

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439
    That would rock.  Monsters vs. Monster hunters (Van Helsing).

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Yeah a resident evil mmo ;)
  • RezoraRezora Member Posts: 43
    someone posted a link to a korean horror mmo not to long ago , i think it was new aswell.

didnt look half bad but i only took a brief look at the site and i dont have the link.
  • SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698
    They already have one, its called Vanguard.

First thing I thought of when I saw the title, maybe because horror and horrible have to many similar letters.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I could see it, working, but I think in more of a MMOFPS style than RPG.  If its done RPG style, I think the lore and content they provide will have to be top-notch and always in sync for it to work.
  • SelekSelek Member Posts: 236
    Priest was a horror style mmorpg that never came out in the US. I think its out in Korea. I can hardly find any information on it now.

http://photo.mmosite.com/priest/

-Selek

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147
    Cthulhu Online or something like that would be pretty sweet .  If anyone has a link to the above mentioned Korean horror mmorpg please provide a link.  I would like to take a look at it.  Actually I am surprised that this genre has not really been tackled yet.  It does not even have to be straight horror but something more along the lines of the D&D setting of Ravenloft.
  • macumbabrmacumbabr Member Posts: 76
    horror mmorpg would be great if it were make this year, because they could really use a lot of potential that the horror theme can give, there are some horror mmorpg but they are too old so they coudnt  make it really cool like dark edem that is vampire against vampire hunters, with some npc monsters. I heard something from somebody about that  they are making a mmorpg about the world of darkness ( you know vampire the masquerade, werewolf the apocalypse...) and i think that if its true this would be really awesome

IF PUSHED KILLING IS AS EASY AS BREATHING

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I don't think a horror game is something that would appeal to the masses.  It would probably be mature audience rating so moms and dads wouldn't buy it for their kids.  If it had a lot of puzzles like the original Resident evil I would play it, but if it was just standard MMO set in a horror world I doubt I would that interested.  Go kill 10 zombies and return for a reward.
  • macumbabrmacumbabr Member Posts: 76
    better go kill 10 zombies than kill 10 little cuties bunnys, and they could make a way that people dont need to see all the blood, and isnt really something i want is people that lose their arms and legs in fight

IF PUSHED KILLING IS AS EASY AS BREATHING

• GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Flyte27

I don't think a horror game is something that would appeal to the masses.  It would probably be mature audience rating so moms and dads wouldn't buy it for their kids.  If it had a lot of puzzles like the original Resident evil I would play it, but if it was just standard MMO set in a horror world I doubt I would that interested.  Go kill 10 zombies and return for a reward.
    That's not a bad thing is it? well.. not for the mature playerbase who will be playing it.

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

I was just saying that type of questing doesn't seem to fit the genre which is more about suspense and problem solving.  Generally it's about finding a way to survive.  If it's just going out into the world and killing random monters it's not really scary.  You have to have things like tight dark spaces with puzzles like finding a way to get a key to open a locked door with a zombie coming after you.  Maybe the next door has a super zombie behind it.  Things of that nature.  It would be hard to capture the scarry element in a MMO.
    Originally posted by GrimReapez

That's not a bad thing is it? well.. not for the mature playerbase who will be playing it.

Well they may be 17+, but that doesn't mean they are mature.  :O
  • DarkEssenceDarkEssence Member Posts: 47
    I remember a while ago seeing an ACTUAL horror MMO being in development. It was something about vampires, zombies, werewolves, or something like that. It reminded me of Silent Hill. I have no idea what happened to it though.

Right now I know there's a horror MMO that's being developed but even the site isn't out yet. You can read some stuff about it here though.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/3/11/3133

And here is the official site.

http://www.exanimusthegame.com/

I've played many games, and the ones that I play change weekly. Currently I am very interested in Gunbound, Poker, and Kwon Ho once more. I am thinking of returning to Maple Story and Ghost Online.

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

I was just saying that type of questing doesn't seem to fit the genre which is more about suspense and problem solving.  Generally it's about finding a way to survive.  If it's just going out into the world and killing random monters it's not really scary.  You have to have things like tight dark spaces with puzzles like finding a way to get a key to open a locked door with a zombie coming after you.  Maybe the next door has a super zombie behind it.  Things of that nature.  It would be hard to capture the scarry element in a MMO.

I must say I agree with this guy, I mean unless everything is instanced and fast paced with lots of enemies it would suck.

You have to be able to die easily, fight masses of enemies, have instanced quests that scare the crap out of you and ya nothing a MMORPG currently is.

heres a video for that priest game i think
  • DarkEssenceDarkEssence Member Posts: 47
    Well there's the MMO that I posted about. I mean yeah it's still only in development, but if it's categorized as horror it's got to be like that right?

I've played many games, and the ones that I play change weekly. Currently I am very interested in Gunbound, Poker, and Kwon Ho once more. I am thinking of returning to Maple Story and Ghost Online.

• iffymackiffymack Member Posts: 376

there was a vampire vs vampire hunter mmo called dark eden,but I think it got shut down as there were loads of hackers.

another one,not sure if its classed as an mmo or a multiplayer rpg is bloodlust,another vampire game.